EVGA

Does it matter if a GPU idles at 35C or 45C? Do the fans collect dust even at low speeds?

Author
himmatsj
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 381
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/07/28 07:02:28 (permalink)
I've got a 0DB GPU that by default shuts off the fan below 60C. It's an EVGA 960 SC, and I have ordered the GTX 1060 SC with pretty much the same cooling design/heatsink.

However, when I first got it, I was afraid of seeing 45-48C temps at idle, so I set a custom fan profile using MSI AB. The fan was set to 20% (750RPM) and the temps were a nice and cool 35C at idle now.

But then, it's been about 2.5 months since I got it, and when I check the fans of the GPU there's quite a bit of dust. I haven't been gaming much though, and the PC is generally on for about half the day at least, sometimes up to 18 hours. I then had a suspicion that this dust buildup could have been exacerbated by the fact the fan stays running all the time, even if it is at a low speed. To make matters worse, the fan blades are incredibly tiny (compared to my GTX 750 SC before that) and it seems difficult to get the dust off the back of each blade.

So I've got two questions basically:

1) Is there any appreciable long-term penalty if my GPU (a GTX 960/1060 SC) idles at round 45-48C with the fan turned off?

2) Does spinning the fan at a low RPM when idle exacerbate dust buildup in the GPU's fans? Could this buildup be slowed down by turning off the fans at idle?

Put simply, if you were in my shoes, what would you do? Spin the fans at 750RPM/20% and get 35C idle temps, or have the fans stop spinning at idle but get higher idle temps of 45-50C?

Thanks!

PS: Noise is not an issue. I do not hear the fans at all at 750RPM.
post edited by himmatsj - 2016/07/28 07:07:31

13 Replies Related Threads

CoercionShaman
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1788
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Does it matter if a GPU idles at 35C or 45C? Do the fans collect dust even at low spee 2016/07/28 07:12:15 (permalink)
    himmatsj
    I've got a 0DB GPU that by default shuts off the fan below 60C. It's an EVGA 960 SC, and I have ordered the GTX 1060 SC with pretty much the same cooling design/heatsink.

However, when I first got it, I was afraid of seeing 45-48C temps at idle, so I set a custom fan profile using MSI AB. The fan was set to 20% (750RPM) and the temps were a nice and cool 35C at idle now.

But then, it's been about 2.5 months since I got it, and when I check the fans of the GPU there's quite a bit of dust. I haven't been gaming much though, and the PC is generally on for about half the day at least, sometimes up to 18 hours. I then had a suspicion that this dust buildup could have been exacerbated by the fact the fan stays running all the time, even if it is at a low speed. To make matters worse, the fan blades are incredibly tiny (compared to my GTX 750 SC before that) and it seems difficult to get the dust off the back of each blade.

1) Is there any appreciable long-term penalty if my GPU (a GTX 960/1060 SC) idles at round 45-48C with the fan turned off?

2) Does spinning the fan at a low RPM when idle exacerbate dust buildup in the GPU's fans? Could this buildup be slowed down by turning off the fans at idle?

Put simply, if you were in my shoes, what would you do? Spin the fans at 750RPM/20% and get 35C idle temps, or have the fans stop spinning at idle but get higher idle temps of 45-50C?

Thanks!

1) No, there isn't.  People run at much higher temperatures for extended periods of time (if not 24/7), yes?
    2) To an extent, yes.  It is drawing air in as opposed to what would just settle on it anyway.  Compressed air is cheap and effective if used correctly.  I use a lint free cloth and wipe off flat surfaces regularly as well (to include fans).  Takes 10 minutes once a month even when you are OCD like I am.

Personal opinions will vary widely, but I like to keep things as cool as possible in my case.  Ambient temperature from the card will slightly affect everything else in there.  I always adjust my fan curves to run 100% of the time my system is on and ramp them for the higher temperature.

What use is knowledge if there is no understanding?~Stobaeus
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1289
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Does it matter if a GPU idles at 35C or 45C? Do the fans collect dust even at low spee 2016/07/28 07:18:03 (permalink)
    The only reason fans don't spin until 60C is to eliminate the noise and even then the fans at low speed don't make much noise anyways.

When comes to dust...it will get collected on your GPU and everything else regardless, all you have to do every so often blow it off and will be nice again, you can't prevent dust from entering your PC.

I have STH10 and I've used DemciFlex filters for a while ( year or 2) and I was very anal about my PC being dust free, yet dust would find its way in, its unpreventable.  I took front intake filter off and I see big improvement in my case temperature and dust accumulation!!!  it's not much more than I had with filter tbh.  and I have quite a bit dust i my area.

Your idle temperature is normal as you don't run fans so it's obvious, but if that was me I would rather keep my system as cool as possible, it will prolong longevity not only of your card but your system
    post edited by AWK16 - 2016/07/28 07:20:39
    bdary
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10331
    • Ribbons : 116
    Re: Does it matter if a GPU idles at 35C or 45C? Do the fans collect dust even at low spee 2016/07/28 07:21:24 (permalink)
    CoercionShaman
    himmatsj

Thanks!

1) No, there isn't.  People run at much higher temperatures for extended periods of time (if not 24/7), yes?
    2) To an extent, yes.  It is drawing air in as opposed to what would just settle on it anyway.  Compressed air is cheap and effective if used correctly.  I use a lint free cloth and wipe off flat surfaces regularly as well (to include fans).  Takes 10 minutes once a month even when you are OCD like I am.

Personal opinions will vary widely, but I like to keep things as cool as possible in my case.  Ambient temperature from the card will slightly affect everything else in there.  I always adjust my fan curves to run 100% of the time my system is on and ramp them for the higher temperature.

I agree.

I leave my GPU fans running at 12% up to 30C and have them ramp up from there.  My personal preference is keep things cooler and just do a little extra cleaning once a month or so...

himmatsj
    iCX Member
    Re: Does it matter if a GPU idles at 35C or 45C? Do the fans collect dust even at low spee 2016/07/28 07:23:37 (permalink)
    CoercionShaman

I've been monitoring the effect of this on the temps of other components in my PC.

- HDD temps are unaffected, the same before and after
    - CPU temps are also seemingly unaffected, but it may be 1-2C higher after, but it's marginal at best
    - Chipset temperature is the one that is affected, since it lies totally underneath the GPU and it's only source of airflow is from the GPU. With the GPU fan on, it idled at around 46-47C, but with the fan off it idles at 50-51C. I'm not sure if this is something drastic that I should be worried about or not.
    - "Airflow" temp may be 1-2C higher than before

Not sure what other temperatures ought to be monitored. Some advice based on the above info would be appreciated.
    FTW Member
    Re: Does it matter if a GPU idles at 35C or 45C? Do the fans collect dust even at low spee 2016/07/28 07:34:23 (permalink)
    Your temps are fine, although I would prefer to keep my chipset slightly cooler but nothing to be worry about, even having it watercooled it dons not make much difference, but check you PCH temperature, it shouldn't be higher than 50-60 at the most.
    post edited by AWK16 - 2016/07/28 07:36:34
    himmatsj
    iCX Member
    Re: Does it matter if a GPU idles at 35C or 45C? Do the fans collect dust even at low spee 2016/07/28 07:37:06 (permalink)
    AWK16
    Your temps are fine, although I would prefer to keep my chipset slightly cooler but nothing to be worry about, even having it watercooled it dons not make much difference, but check you PCH temperature, it shouldn't be higher than 50-60 at the most.

Really? If by PCH you refer to the chipset temps, then well it is 45 at the MINIMUM with the GPU fans turned on at idle. When under max load, the chipset temps are 65C. I was told it was nothing to be worried about...
    CoercionShaman
    FTW Member
    Re: Does it matter if a GPU idles at 35C or 45C? Do the fans collect dust even at low spee 2016/07/28 07:38:53 (permalink)
    himmatsj
    AWK16

Really? If by PCH you refer to the chipset temps, then well it is 45 at the MINIMUM with the GPU fans turned on at idle. When under max load, the chipset temps are 65C. I was told it was nothing to be worried about...

He's talking about your motherboard ambient temps, I'm sure.

FTW Member
    Re: Does it matter if a GPU idles at 35C or 45C? Do the fans collect dust even at low spee 2016/07/28 07:39:23 (permalink)
    No its nothing to worry about, but if your M/B ever  is unstable that might be cool-print, my PH is at 29-30 max but its watercooled, you are fine.
    I'm also anal person and  normal temps for others might be to high for me
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30994
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Does it matter if a GPU idles at 35C or 45C? Do the fans collect dust even at low spee 2016/07/28 07:43:59 (permalink)
    Buy some dust filters for your case, run positive pressure - problem solved with needing to clean

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

himmatsj
    iCX Member
    Re: Does it matter if a GPU idles at 35C or 45C? Do the fans collect dust even at low spee 2016/07/28 08:08:10 (permalink)
    To be clear, when you say "blow", do you mean blow air with your mouth, or something else?
    CoercionShaman
    FTW Member
    Re: Does it matter if a GPU idles at 35C or 45C? Do the fans collect dust even at low spee 2016/07/28 08:16:58 (permalink)
    himmatsj
    To be clear, when you say "blow", do you mean blow air with your mouth, or something else?

Canned compressed air.

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: Does it matter if a GPU idles at 35C or 45C? Do the fans collect dust even at low spee 2016/07/28 14:46:45 (permalink)
     Metro Vacuum ED500 DataVac  500-Watt 0.75-HP Electric Duster 120-Volt
    Never Blow into a PSU while Plugged into a Power Socket.

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

Lobehold
    • Total Posts : 11
    Re: Does it matter if a GPU idles at 35C or 45C? Do the fans collect dust even at low spee 2016/07/29 00:27:28 (permalink)
    Temps are fine, but dust is the enemy of electronics, keep your case clean.

I really wouldn't worry about idling temps, now load temperature above 80c, that would start to make me a bit nervous.

Honestly if you're that worried buy the extended warranty and you can sleep easy.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile