EVGA

Does EVGA bin GPU's to decide which end up SC, or FTW?

Author
somethingclever
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2010/08/17 10:43:20 (permalink)
So I intend to (eventually) purchase 2 EVGA GTX480's for a watercooled gaming pc and was wondering about the different levels of cards.

Does EVGA screen the GPU's for their overclocking ability to decide which will become standard, SuperClocked, or FTW editions?  In other words, would FTW cards consistently reach higher overclocks than standard cards with the same cooling solution?

I ask because I am debating between using FTW cards with their stock waterblocks, or buying standard cards and adding EK waterblocks to them.

7 Replies Related Threads

EVGA_JacobF
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 16946
    • Ribbons : 26
    Re:Does EVGA bin GPU's to decide which end up SC, or FTW? 2010/08/17 12:23:25 (permalink)
    Yes they are.

[WildDog]
    Have you seen this dog?
    • Total Posts : 15292
    • Ribbons : 34
    Re:Does EVGA bin GPU's to decide which end up SC, or FTW? 2010/08/17 13:45:14 (permalink)
    it´s been a while since the last SSC Card :/

owcraftsman
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4754
    • Ribbons : 60
    Re:Does EVGA bin GPU's to decide which end up SC, or FTW? 2010/09/22 07:18:49 (permalink)
    EVGA_JacobF

Yes they are.

Just how then are they binned?
    What are the requirements?

I've been reading a couple thread that have now peaked my curiosity and gave me cause for concern at the same time.

http://www.xtremesystems....howthread.php?t=259404

Seems that peeps here think EVGA's methods are weak/"poor mans" at best.

Nvidia256The problem is with Fermi. They just slap a sticker on it. They can do this since the SC versions are a mere 25Mhz overclock. It's almost as if EVGA uses it an a way to distinguish/aDD variance to there product line. The only real benefit to buying a SC+ (not the SC) is the backplate and high flow bracket it comes with.

Nvidia256Do doubt. Binning refers to the sorting of chips at the factory. What EVGA does is the poor mans version, and they not even do that anymore.

Can you please clarify?

Also I was wondering if there is any truth to this:

Easy method to predict OC capabilities in current Nvidia GPU's

5800X3D | ROG Crosshair VIII Hero w/EK-Q-M-Full | Trident Z Neo 4x8 3600 C16 | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra w/EK-QV2-ABP +150 CC/+1000 MC | LG 34GP83A-B UW-QHD/2-Asus PB278Q  | EVGA Supernova 1000 G2 | Corsair 1TB MP600 (OS) & 970 EVO 1TB M.2 (Games) | Custom Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | NexXxoS UT60 1080mm Nova | 2x D5 w/BP-2D5TOPPEX-BK | Win-10-pro 21H2  RIG PICS
    EVGA Affiliate Code GMER9XL4N
    icslowmo
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 540
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re:Does EVGA bin GPU's to decide which end up SC, or FTW? 2010/09/22 08:08:29 (permalink)
    owcraftsman

EVGA_JacobF

Yes they are.

Just how then are they binned?
    What are the requirements?

I've been reading a couple thread that have now peaked my curiosity and gave me cause for concern at the same time.

http://www.xtremesystems....howthread.php?t=259404

Seems that peeps here think EVGA's methods are weak/"poor mans" at best.

Nvidia256The problem is with Fermi. They just slap a sticker on it. They can do this since the SC versions are a mere 25Mhz overclock. It's almost as if EVGA uses it an a way to distinguish/aDD variance to there product line. The only real benefit to buying a SC+ (not the SC) is the backplate and high flow bracket it comes with.

Nvidia256Do doubt. Binning refers to the sorting of chips at the factory. What EVGA does is the poor mans version, and they not even do that anymore.

Can you please clarify?

Also I was wondering if there is any truth to this:

Easy method to predict OC capabilities in current Nvidia GPU's

From what I've seen they may not be binned for overclocking but are binned/tested for SC and FTW speeds. Seems for the most part everyone gets between 850-900mhz regardless of what model. Now for the SC and FTW cards, if the factory voltage was at 1.075 and was tested at FTW speeds, chances are that it would fail EVGA testing methods, hence why most FTW cards tend to have lower Vcore. Both of My SC cards have a default voltage of 1.038 and OC fine to 900mhz @ 1.100volts using afterburner software. So to OP, if you decide to buy a SC or FTW card, chances are you will get to at least 850mhz plus if you buy a AR part number model, you get EVGA's lifetime warranty. Good luck with upgrade and have fun with it. Just my 2 cents on the matter though. 
    EVGA_JacobF
    EVGA Alumni
    Re:Does EVGA bin GPU's to decide which end up SC, or FTW? 2010/09/22 09:15:30 (permalink)
    Yes the cards are pretested, and often there are changes made to the BIOS to improve overclocking stability.

donta1979
    Primarch
    • Total Posts : 15886
    • Ribbons : 72
    Re:Does EVGA bin GPU's to decide which end up SC, or FTW? 2010/09/22 11:56:50 (permalink)
    Like Jacob said they are pre tested this is how it goes
    the wafers/silicon slabs they are manufactured on the ones in the center are normally of the higher quality, sometimes the entire wafer is full of gems. But what nvidia does is take those possible gems from the center and put them aside putting them on gpus and marks them as such, Then they go out to the vendors.

The vendors once they get them will test these bin marked cards nvidia has given them, first at FTW specs if they pass the grueling benchmarks and test they get marked as FTW, If they fail they get marked at SSC"not the case right now" If they pass they get marked as SSC if they fail they get put though the SC test, same thing but if they fail they get tested one more time at stock if they pass they are vanillas if they fail no clue what evga/vendors do with them.

At this point they are all boxed up the correct bios is on them for thier speeds and they are shipped out.

The vanillas not sure if they are pre tested or not too much work and money tbh and that would be alot of cards to be tested. This brings me back to the nvidia manufacturing you get those batches that the entire or most of the wafer produces gems  even on the outer edges and you get a vanilla card that is just as good or better than say a FTW.

There is an article some where on the net with how EVGA does thier testing in germany. I am sure someone will find the article for you to look at=)

Heatware   

Retired from AAA Game Industry
    Jeep Wranglers, English Bulldog Rescue
    USAF, USANG, US ARMY Combat Veteran
    My Build
    Intel Core I9 13900K@6.1ghz, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 ARGB, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 7200mhz CL34 DDR5, ASUS Rog Strix Z790-E, ASUS Rog Strix OC 4090, ASUS ROG Wingwall Graphics Card Holder, Seagate limited Edition Cyberpunk 2077 m.2, 2x Samsung 980 m.2 1TB's, 980 & 990 Pro m.2 2TB's, ASUS ROG Hyperion GR701, ASUS ROG Thor 1200W Platinum II, Cablemod RT-Series Pro ModMesh Sleeved 12VHPWR Carbon, ASUS Rog Swift PG35VQ 35", Acer EI342CKR Pbmiippx 34", ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition mouse, Rog Claymore II keyboard, TCL home entertainment Sound Bar w/Wireless Sub, Steelseries Johnny Silverhand Headset Microsoft Cyberpunk 2077 Xbox controller
    EVGA_JacobF
    EVGA Alumni
    Re:Does EVGA bin GPU's to decide which end up SC, or FTW? 2010/09/22 12:41:32 (permalink)
    Here is the article, it is a bit outdated now, but the same concept applies.

http://www.theinquirer.ne...akes-dive-black-pearls

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile