EVGA

Dewalt Customer Service Rant

Author
Fbmbirds
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3863
  • Reward points : 0
2014/08/18 08:43:50 (permalink)
So I wanted to tell you all a little story of the issues I've came across dealing with dewalt customer service.

It started several months ago when I noticed one of my Dewalt 20volt max batteries come apart. The battery seriously fell apart while in mid use (I was using it on a reciprocating saw)  There are 4 screws that hold the battery together and I guess using it on that saw made it break apart over time. The battery is sorta large and heavy to begin with then you add in the constant vibration of the saw.

Anyhow I contacted Dewalt customer service and they told me to send it to the local repair facility which was a few hundred miles away. I packed the battery up and made sure to include all the broke pieces and screws. Sent the battery away and received a package back from that repair facility a few weeks later. To my surprise I found my broke battery in this box without the screws or broke pieces and a hand written note saying that the battery was dropped and did not break on its own.

I seriously lost it, They didn't even make an attempt to at least contact me first before sending it back to me for my side of the story. I made sure to let dewalt customer service know that the battery came apart while in use before I even sent it away. So I was like ok let me call these people up and see why they sent it back. I call that facility and the gentleman I talked to said he couldn't help me. I even asked if he had my broke pieces and screws so I could glue the darn battery back together since the battery was still working. He said no they are not here and basically forced me to hang up. I even told him I will call dewalt customer support and he said they just sit behind desk they don't know what we deal with down here.

So I call the support and they reassured me that something will be done. I never heard back from them even after calling them 3 times asking for a status update on what will be done.

Now 3 months later I decide to give dewalt a call after noticing this battery I still have sitting here going to waste since I really didn't want to glue it together.

But this time I sent dewalt a email explaining this entire story. After a DAY! I get the following email.

Thank you for contacting us.

We apologize for the problem with your battery!  Since you are within your three year warranty, we are going to go ahead and ship you a replacement.  It will ship UPS and usually takes about a week to reach you.

Moral of the story don't buy DEWALT Period. When is EVGA gonna come up with their own line of power tools!!!!!!!!

But yea this was my 4-5month long struggle to replace a simple $100 battery that was still under warranty.
post edited by Fbmbirds - 2014/08/18 08:45:33

12 Replies Related Threads

knightsilver
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 9430
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: Dewalt Customer Service Rant 2014/08/18 09:24:53 (permalink)
    And some thought the 80's was bad about being a throw-away culture!

We all know times are tough, but, seriously, bring back Made in the USA, already, we need jobs, we want our quality and customer service back, Then make it 10x times harder to start a private business.

Even, Made in German and England is 200x better than the crap were offered here in the states! Im still using a Singer Made in England thats older than me, and prob will out live me.....
    post edited by knightsilver - 2014/08/18 09:29:56
    Fbmbirds
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Dewalt Customer Service Rant 2014/08/18 09:40:36 (permalink)
    It is ironic that DeWalts moto is Guaranteed Tough. I even explained to them that I am not a contractor or someone that builds things on a daily basis with my tools. I am just a simple handy man that uses the tools when needed. Its really sad that my the battery comes apart when being used on a tool it came with.  But then again I was called a lier and nothing could be done. Only after several attempts to get resolution I finally received resolution. I guess they make you work for it so to deter those who just want free stuff.  

Holo
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3328
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Dewalt Customer Service Rant 2014/08/18 09:51:42 (permalink)
    Fbmbirds
    It is ironic that DeWalts moto is Guaranteed Tough. I even explained to them that I am not a contractor or someone that builds things on a daily basis with my tools. I am just a simple handy man that uses the tools when needed. Its really sad that my the battery comes apart when being used on a tool it came with.  But then again I was called a lier and nothing could be done. Only after several attempts to get resolution I finally received resolution. I guess they make you work for it so to deter those who just want free stuff.  

Honestly, trashing their name hurts them more. I personally won't buy from them just based on your experience. So while they technically coulda saved 100$ on you, they now lost more. 5 month wait on anything is unacceptable.

Fbmbirds
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Dewalt Customer Service Rant 2014/08/18 10:00:14 (permalink)
    Holo
    Fbmbirds

Honestly, trashing their name hurts them more. I personally won't buy from them just based on your experience. So while they technically coulda saved 100$ on you, they now lost more. 5 month wait on anything is unacceptable.

I basically gave up until I recently needed the battery and never fixed it myself. The good thing here is I waited got to keep my broke battery and they will be sending me a new one. But yea I really wish they could have just fixed it back then.

Nereus
    Captain Goodvibes
    • Total Posts : 18916
    • Ribbons : 58
    Re: Dewalt Customer Service Rant 2014/08/18 10:00:51 (permalink)

DeWalt makes tools, their customer service people are a bunch of tools. Makes sense.

Years ago I had a problem with an expensive pair of dress shoes. After 3 replacement pairs (all of them fell apart within days) and repeatedly being denied a refund because it was their policy not to issue refunds, I ended up calling the company HQ and somehow managed to talk to the CEO. After I calmly explained the issue, he tried to justify their no refund policy by telling me "We stand behind our product". I immediately responded, "Well you sure wouldn't want to stand in them!". He went very quiet for a moment, then told me he'd arrange a full refund. LOL.

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

trabe3
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1203
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re: Dewalt Customer Service Rant 2014/08/18 10:54:03 (permalink)
    Let us know if a battery pack shows up.  I wouldn't call it resolved until you actually have it in hand.  Plenty of things can change between an email saying "sure we will send you a replacement" and actually getting one shipped.  They could have easily just told you what you wanted to hear.

System #1
    ASUS RIV BE
    4930K 4.5GHz - Kraken X60 push/pull
    16Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133MHz
    EVGA 780 Classified SLI - Pro SLI Bridge
    Corsair AX1200i
    Windows 7 Pro
    NZXT Switch 810
    ASUS PB287Q 4K

System #2
    3930K @ 4.4GHz
    8Gb 1600Mhz
    XFX R9 270X (for now)
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102262
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: Dewalt Customer Service Rant 2014/08/18 11:00:34 (permalink)
    trabe3
    Let us know if a battery pack shows up.  I wouldn't call it resolved until you actually have it in hand.  Plenty of things can change between an email saying "sure we will send you a replacement" and actually getting one shipped.  They could have easily just told you what you wanted to hear.

I'm curious as well because my trust level with many companies is at an all time low. I trust only three companies right now and they are EVGA, Corsair, and Cooler Master.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Theophilus20
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1500
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Dewalt Customer Service Rant 2014/08/18 21:10:15 (permalink)
    Makita FTW

(Sys 2)
    HAFX * EVGA X99 Classified * I7 6850k (@ stock for now) * EVGA 980Ti Classified * 32 GB Corsair 2666 * Samsung 850 EVO SSD * Seagate 2TB Hybrid drive * EVGA Supernova 1000w P2 * Win 10 pro 
    (Sys 1)
    HAF 932 * EVGA X58 Classified 760 * i7 950 * 12 Gig GSkill 2133mhz RAM *
                     Samsung 830 SSD * Seagate 1TB SSHD * EVGA GTX 770 Classified *
                Creative X-Fi Fatality Pro *  Cooler Master V8 CPU Cooler * Corsair HX1000 *
                                                Samsung SyncMaster 2233
    HeatWare http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=72049
    Optimism is No Replacement for Experience[/size
    knightsilver
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 9430
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: Dewalt Customer Service Rant 2014/08/18 22:38:26 (permalink)
    Give me a German, England, made power tool over the other, any day of the week.

Wonder if we will ever see American Made Power Tools again...........
    Fbmbirds
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Dewalt Customer Service Rant 2014/08/22 09:59:07 (permalink)
    Received the brand new battery yesterday. Its kinda cool because there was nothing wrong with the broke one besides the top not attaching to the bottom because of the broke screw holes holding it together. Like the old battery has a great charge and works. I will go ahead and glue it together but never use it on the circle saw or reciprocating saw.  It might just be the main battery for the led light or one of the drills.

Sorta happy of the outcomes. Not super thrilled about dewalt accusing me of dropping it when in fact it didn't. I told everyone the exact same story. I was using it on the saw and it must have been vibrating so much that the screws just came loose and the bottom part of the battery came apart and sure when that happen the battery was dropped but not intentional.

trabe3
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1203
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re: Dewalt Customer Service Rant 2014/08/22 10:49:25 (permalink)
    Glad it worked out for you in the end and reporting your experience.  Hopefully the new one doesn't have the same issue.

System #1
    ASUS RIV BE
    4930K 4.5GHz - Kraken X60 push/pull
    16Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133MHz
    EVGA 780 Classified SLI - Pro SLI Bridge
    Corsair AX1200i
    Windows 7 Pro
    NZXT Switch 810
    ASUS PB287Q 4K

System #2
    3930K @ 4.4GHz
    8Gb 1600Mhz
    XFX R9 270X (for now)
    Fbmbirds
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Dewalt Customer Service Rant 2014/08/22 11:01:53 (permalink)
    The new one looks to be brand new in package.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile