Details emerge on AMD Summit Ridge 14nm parts

Author
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102278
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 84
2015/01/26 23:59:43 (permalink)

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

13 Replies Related Threads

Derpdad
    • Total Posts : 22
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Details emerge on AMD Summit Ridge 14nm parts 2015/01/27 19:08:36 (permalink)

seta8967
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1813
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Details emerge on AMD Summit Ridge 14nm parts 2015/01/27 19:50:48 (permalink)
    Derpdad

LOL, oh god my sides.
    candle_86
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3677
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: Details emerge on AMD Summit Ridge 14nm parts 2015/01/27 20:22:10 (permalink)
    yea last time i had hope, was the Phenom, see how well that worked. I fear we may never see a competitive AMD again.
    lehpron
    Regular Guy
    • Total Posts : 16254
    • Ribbons : 191
    Re: Details emerge on AMD Summit Ridge 14nm parts 2015/01/28 00:28:58 (permalink)
    candle_86
    yea last time i had hope, was the Phenom, see how well that worked. I fear we may never see a competitive AMD again.
    On the x86 side, I'd agree; Summit Ridge will be an APU using FMx socket so it is aimed only against Intel's LGA115x socket and those processors with IGP.  I don't think Summit Ridge is aimed at Intel's high-end platform using the LGA2011-x socket.  I'm sure AMD is planning W/S versions of Zen that would compete with Intel's -EP Xeons, but I don't think they would rebrand and port it for consumer use to properly compete with X99 and its successors.

AMD may not ever compete with the high-end platform or even the best unlocked midrange i5K processors, but that doesn't mean they aren't competing period.  I think enthusiasts especially tend to forget or just ignore that AMD is certainly doing something to threaten Intel if they bother to improve their IGP.  Doing so means nVidia has to raise the quality bar of their low-end otherwise no one is going to buy them in favor of advanced IGPs by AMD and Intel.  

On the ARM side, however, Intel isn't even there.  While having more competitors (Qualcomm, Samsung, Apple and nVidia) may not seem like a good thing for AMD, those others aren't making a server ecosystem which AMD has more experience in; especially if AMD were to push out desktop ARM processors, there is no competition except for Apple.  Therefore, I actually have much more faith that AMD will remain relevant with the transition from x86 over the next 5-10 years into a fully ARM portfolio devoid of Intel's reign than ever creating another Athlon 64 to go after Intel in x86.   

I'm sure the rumor about Apple going ARM is true, it would make business sense for them to unify all their platforms so users can drag files and programs across seamlessly with one OS instead of one for mobile and one for tethered systems.  I'm sure AMD would prefer their processors be in Apple's systems, but who knows, I'm just spouting off theories.
    post edited by lehpron - 2015/01/28 00:31:49

For Intel processors, 0.122 x TDP = Continuous Amps at 12v [source].  

Introduction to Thermoelectric Cooling
    Baltothewolf
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3762
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: Details emerge on AMD Summit Ridge 14nm parts 2015/01/28 01:39:08 (permalink)
    lehpron
    candle_86
    On the x86 side, I'd agree; Summit Ridge will be an APU using FMx socket so it is aimed only against Intel's LGA115x socket and those processors with IGP.  I don't think Summit Ridge is aimed at Intel's high-end platform using the LGA2011-x socket.  I'm sure AMD is planning W/S versions of Zen that would compete with Intel's -EP Xeons, but I don't think they would rebrand and port it for consumer use to properly compete with X99 and its successors.

AMD may not ever compete with the high-end platform or even the best unlocked midrange i5K processors, but that doesn't mean they aren't competing period.  I think enthusiasts especially tend to forget or just ignore that AMD is certainly doing something to threaten Intel if they bother to improve their IGP.  Doing so means nVidia has to raise the quality bar of their low-end otherwise no one is going to buy them in favor of advanced IGPs by AMD and Intel.  

On the ARM side, however, Intel isn't even there.  While having more competitors (Qualcomm, Samsung, Apple and nVidia) may not seem like a good thing for AMD, those others aren't making a server ecosystem which AMD has more experience in; especially if AMD were to push out desktop ARM processors, there is no competition except for Apple.  Therefore, I actually have much more faith that AMD will remain relevant with the transition from x86 over the next 5-10 years into a fully ARM portfolio devoid of Intel's reign than ever creating another Athlon 64 to go after Intel in x86.   

I'm sure the rumor about Apple going ARM is true, it would make business sense for them to unify all their platforms so users can drag files and programs across seamlessly with one OS instead of one for mobile and one for tethered systems.  I'm sure AMD would prefer their processors be in Apple's systems, but who knows, I'm just spouting off theories.

I love your arguments. They make my head hurt (to much information) but at least they are good arguments and not just fanboy nonsense.

My Laptop (GE63VR-7RF):
    -7700HQ.
    -16GB RAM.
    -GTX 1070.
    -128GB SSD.
    -1X 1TB 7200 spinny drive.

garnetandblack
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1700
    • Ribbons : 13
    Re: Details emerge on AMD Summit Ridge 14nm parts 2015/01/28 07:52:41 (permalink)
    Derpdad

This is amazing.  LOL!!!

"My mother always told me someday you'll be good at somethin'. Who'd have guessed that somethin' would be zombie killin'?"
    candle_86
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Details emerge on AMD Summit Ridge 14nm parts 2015/01/28 11:11:23 (permalink)
    lehpron
    candle_86

except most people still think a pentium is all you need remember
    aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 17692
    • Ribbons : 69
    Re: Details emerge on AMD Summit Ridge 14nm parts 2015/01/28 11:32:23 (permalink)
    It's a shame they can't produce a slightly better competitive product , to push Intel into lower price ranges for all us consumers.

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
    candle_86
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Details emerge on AMD Summit Ridge 14nm parts 2015/01/29 05:11:50 (permalink)
    AMd doesn't want to make money anymore lol
    seta8967
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1813
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Details emerge on AMD Summit Ridge 14nm parts 2015/01/29 05:29:53 (permalink)
    candle_86
    AMd doesn't want to make money anymore lol

*waits for balto to come spreading the word of glorious amd* you guys know its going to happen...
    blacksapphire08
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8875
    • Ribbons : 22
    Re: Details emerge on AMD Summit Ridge 14nm parts 2015/01/29 06:10:47 (permalink)
    I like their APUs for budget systems but I have to agree that their enthusiast oriented CPUs are pretty weak sauce. I have a buddy at work who wont buy anything but AMD and even he's starting to get frustrated.

candle_86
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Details emerge on AMD Summit Ridge 14nm parts 2015/01/29 09:38:30 (permalink)
    when the IPC of their latest is worse than a Core 2 CPU, you know there is a problem.
    lehpron
    Regular Guy
    • Total Posts : 16254
    • Ribbons : 191
    Re: Details emerge on AMD Summit Ridge 14nm parts 2015/01/29 13:30:05 (permalink)
    aka_STEVE_b
    It's a shame they can't produce a slightly better competitive product , to push Intel into lower price ranges for all us consumers.
    The point of competition is to actually steal customers away, after all, money talks; this makes companies fight for customer dollars and starting a competition for sales.  

If your only interest in a competitive AMD is to make Intel cheaper, then why should AMD invest their money and not get a return on their investment?  That is why they've given up on high-end and focused on APUs (though it could have been a ploy to get Intel to shift overclocking away from mainstream to their high-end platform, so AMD can fill the void later on)-- all because people like you are not going to leave.  If you've aligned yourself with a brand in the absence of competition for years, you're not fooling anyone when you complain about not having enough competition.  It hasn't affected you, and won't even give up on Intel to prove they don't have you by the balls...

It is analogous to making someone you love loyal being around someone else that you're not really interested in-- well maybe that person also already knows you're not going to be serious and doesn't waste their time.  So now you're upset with their attitude for not making you look special, all while you're still loyal to the one you love on the copout there is no one else.  Why go through the exercise to begin with?  The irony is that you're not special to anyone, you're just a pushover; and Intel knows that and does have you by the balls.  

Evident by the utter lack of competition, you still keep upgrading your already better Intel processor.  It is true, in IPC, AMD is so behind that the Kaveri A10-7850K overclocked to about 4GHz only now matches Nehalem Core i7-920 at stock 2.6GHz; so why upgrade to Sandy Bridge and beyond?  Those that have upgraded continuously were never affected by having no competition.

For Intel processors, 0.122 x TDP = Continuous Amps at 12v [source].  

Introduction to Thermoelectric Cooling
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile