EVGA

ESD Dead Classy - Update: replacement arrived! Finally...

Author
ypsylon
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 527
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 4
2016/05/02 00:15:19 (permalink)
This is one thread I never expected to start here.

From the start I've sent already message to EVGA support so I just want to entertain any brilliant ideas on the forum.

Let's start at the beginning. Bought Bitspower FCB EIX99 THOR for Classy. Installation is fairly easy and except problem with CPU block bracket that Bitspower mixed up when packing I just used separate universal south bridge block (call me crazy but using only 2 out of 4 modules from Bitspower :P). Everything was complemented with loop refit. 8 days of work. Loop was bleeding like charm for 3h. Decided to start and check how things work for a moment. Pressing power button on the board and it's dead.

To my amazement after putting everything back I can't get any life signs out of the setup which worked flawlessly for past 11 months.

Dismantled whole loop which connected to the board and removed tray from the case thinking that maybe there is some short circuit or something (even if I checked for that twice before putting it in). Nothing. Used classic cardbox as isolator connected external PSU - nothing. Tested EVGA PSU - functioning properly 100% (used EVGA testing plug). Removed every block from the board to exclude any possible shorting, reseated CPU twice, pins looks a-OK! Literally left board 'bareboned' without anything (just naked electronics), with one DIMM stick - still nothing

When I connect the power cord (let's be frank here, 90 degree connector is friggin retarded, even on cardbox I can't plug it properly without using crapload of force) I get 5VSB led active and BIOS 3 (but whatever BIOS I select proper led is signaling) and if I activate Turbo troubleshooting mode, led is also active.

So technically it looks like board has some life in it. But why nothing works? That's 1Mil $ question. 

If board is OK then perhaps my 5930K got a hit. I don't know. Right now considering buying 5820K just to check.
post edited by ypsylon - 2016/05/11 07:51:20

10 Replies Related Threads

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: Dead Classy or CPU or WTH is going on? 2016/05/02 12:24:47 (permalink)
    Is this hardware from your or all new hardware?

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

ypsylon
    SSC Member
    Re: Dead Classy or CPU or WTH is going on? 2016/05/02 23:42:44 (permalink)
    Yes it's the board from ModRigs.

As an update I ordered one last (used) Classy from Amazon. It's much cheaper for me to buy new board (supposedly board is unpacked with only damaged box) than buy 5820K to test (which will solve nothing as I need last slot to be x8 for RAID controller). I'm pretty certain it's board fault (I encountered similar behaviour long time ago with EVGA n680i). I'm with Support on the line and this board ^ is already packed and waiting for RMA. Board ordered from Amazon if all goes well should be at my desk about Friday - Monday (2-4 days expedited shipping) which is much faster than waiting for completed RMA (probably 14 days at best). I cannot wait that long. If everything goes well I will have Classy for other things or as spare (that's main problem with EVGA limited supply of motherboards - you can buy buckets of any old Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, AsRock boards for X99, unfortunately that's not the case with EVGA). And if you think of it, I must ask Sup-guys if I qualify for 90 days step up program with this new purchase. Whooo Classy 2 here I come. Ha, ha! 
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: Dead Classy or CPU or WTH is going on? 2016/05/03 02:37:39 (permalink)
    I think the 90 days step up is only for those purchased brand new from the site or big name etailer.

And btw, I'm a big fan of their 90 degree angle.  Helps for cable management.

post edited by gtxjackbauer - 2016/05/03 02:39:43

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Dead Classy or CPU or WTH is going on? 2016/05/03 03:47:15 (permalink)
    Step up is definitely limited to the first owners of the board purchased through an authorized retailer/e-tailer. If you purchase brand new, you can make use of the step up program, as long as the new motherboard is released prior to the end of your step up period and added to the step up list.
    ypsylon
    SSC Member
    Re: Dead Classy or CPU or WTH is going on? 2016/05/03 04:19:02 (permalink)
    OK, just to clarify. Confirmed with support that I do qualify for step-up.

@GTX

Yes it would be OK, if it was much more robust (so you can grip it directly) and most importantly higher. Even with board removed and put on a box I had serious problems with removing of the plug. I don't want to go all Hulk-ish with it and tear whole thing off. I exchanged few words with a folk who has some Cooler Master (IIRC or was that Corsair?) case where he literally has to do some magic so 24 pin connector won't tear the socket upwards (zip tied to the frame). He said he loves the EVGA but it's his last EVGA board as long as they won't return to classic 24 pin power connector and I wholeheartedly agree.

I'm banging about that since EVGA started using 90 degree 24pin. EVGA give people a choice. Supply with every board simple 24 pin L-shaped pass-through connector for guys who want 90 degree capability. You can use it, but you don't have too if space is super tight. Simples! To be honest I was on the fence about getting ASUS WS-E, but with Realtek sound card it was out of the question. I don't really get it about Asus. They have powerful sound devices on offer but still they use some Realtek stuff. Clueless. In the end already configured hardware and waterblocks swung in favour of last purchasable Classy in Europe! :D But that better RAID compatibility (and straight 24 pin! :P) of Asus was really tempting...
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Dead Classy or CPU or WTH is going on? 2016/05/03 04:24:51 (permalink)
    If you already have a classified board, there is nothing currently available to step up to. You would have to wait for the next version to be released.

Once it is released, the new board would be added to the step up program, as long as that is before your 90 day mark, you could step up.
    post edited by Scarlet-Tech - 2016/05/03 05:16:29
    ypsylon
    SSC Member
    Re: Dead Classy or CPU or WTH is going on? 2016/05/03 04:26:58 (permalink)
    LOL, Now I've got another mail that I might not qualify. Really funny stuff. 

Devil is in the details. Will see when I get the board. It's not a problem whatsoever. It's just a possible choice and definitively not end of the world as I never used that program anyway (because of S&H which is really expensive - more prudent is to buy new board that waste $$$ on international couriers).

Anyway, can't wait for the board to arrive and I ordered it only about 7h earlier. Ha!
    ypsylon
    SSC Member
    Re: Dead Classy - UPDATE: Replacement arrived 2016/05/11 07:49:56 (permalink)
    So I finally received Classy from Amazon. So far everything checks out. Box was seriously beaten up (description by Amazon: some external damage). Board used by some organization as test platform (description by Amazon: board sealed, unopened...).

There are stickers everywhere about test whatever. Must contact support guys with all these stupid stickers.

So just as I expected my previous board was killed by ESD. You can do many things to protect electronics, but I did about 1000 things in a week and I know that anti-static strap/ESD gloves were not always on my hands. With replacement (so far not tested OC, but it can wait) it was fairly straightforward as I had whole setup prepared and ready to mount. So lesson for everybody - no matter what either anti-static strap or ESD resistant gloves. Preferably both.

And just to think that primary reason was to replace noisy EK D5 pump with D5 from Alphacool. So I did, have 2 now in series and on 5 both pumps are barely audible, below 4 I don't know what powers the loop. Pump from EK was so idiotically loud that beyond some precise setting of about 3.12 (or was that 2.96 ?) all other produced such racket that it was simply unbelievable.
    GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: Dead Classy - UPDATE: Replacement arrived 2016/05/11 09:25:42 (permalink)
    Its possible there was air trapped in the pump blocks that made them so noisy.

Also, happy to hear your honesty that you zapped your board.  Its unfortunate and I'm a huge supporter of having a ESD environment when doing anything with bare electronics.  I've had people tell me and have read from others that you don't need that stuff and just install things while most won't admit their mistakes and mishaps.  I'm fortunate enough to have never experienced the dark side because I'm always strapped.  ESD strap and mat are the first things I lay out before I do anything and make sure I'm not over carpet or rugs and might touch a door knob here and there.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    ypsylon
    SSC Member
    Re: Dead Classy - UPDATE: Replacement arrived 2016/05/12 00:02:10 (permalink)
    Not possible. Used new EK REVO X Top in acrylic version. If it was air inside it would make this gurgling sound and with acrylic you can just see what's inside. I know that D5 is D5. But who makes that D5 also matters. I had 2 pumps from EK. One mounted in Bay Res and one in Revo. Model in BayRes was a bit quieter, but after ramping up rpms above 2.5 or so you could hear whining noise. Pump in Revo was noisy from the start. EK pumps are branded as LOWARA made by Xylem Hungary. I don't know much about AC D5 except made in EU (very  informative...). I predict that it still maybe Xylem, as Hungary for years and years had very strong pump making industry. All things considered two different batches of D5 and there is a gap as big as Mariana Trench in noise/rpm ratio.

As for ESD. Yes. You can do million things and never have single problem, but one bad touch somewhere and everything is fired. I raise my hand high. It was my first board killed by ESD and I'm not like a lot of folks who will do anything not to admit mistake. Seriously I have 3 anti-static mats for every desk I have. I work a bit here and there when building (and they look cool just doing nothing anyway LOL). But still when cutting acrylic tubing, bending, measuring and working (everything was done on normal work days) I know it was not possible to wear gloves or strap every minute. I would be strangled to death with strap cable if it was 100m long. :D I expected that ESD resistant work boots will be enough (I don't have rugs or anything like that on the floor, just wood plain and simple).

Problem was compounded with Bitspower EIX99 THOR block. I decided to get it, waited 3 weeks only to learn that metal mounting bracket on the CPU was not compatible with whole setup (contacted Bitspower and they've sent me proper one, but still it took 11 days for it to arrive from Taiwan). So I decided to use only VRM and CPU blocks with universal block for south bridge/chipset. It also has pragmatic considerations. With current loop I can basically drain 98% of coolant just with gravity. If I used whole Bitspower kit it would be impossible (and removing VGA is problematic at best). I will mount it in full glory (I polished FCB part for 2 days only not to use it :P, but it does look epic) if Classy is moved to different things (will see what Classy2 will offer).

I can post some pics later as for now I have to bleed it properly. I'm very happy with how it looks (although I had to scrap part of my idea which is unfortunate), I like clean PCB and board replacement was really breeze. Just plugged all stuff and system didn't bothered me once about anything. It OC without a problem up to 4.5 like on fried Classy. So more or less everything is status quo (well except the fact that it's getting already very hot outside and ambient temp is no longer nice and cool 19 but more warm of 23C - and I don't like warm at all, literally I'm sick with anything above 20C, waiting for winter already!).

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile