Cserv Experience

Author
valorunlimited
  • Total Posts : 20
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/06/23 08:40:59 (permalink)
EVGA,

I wanted to let you know I had a bad experience trying to RMA my 970 today. Long story short about the card, it started sending surges to the motherboard after 90 days of ownership. The latest shorted the card and made it so the system wouldn't even post. So it's a dead card. After calling the customer service line, the guy started my RMA but didn't even offer a return shipping label? WTH? It's your card failure. It's not like I installed it wrong, or did a custom solder job on it. I pointed out that it could have killed my mobo, but he was like "Mobos have built-in surge protection."  Yeah they do. And my car has seatbelts. But I don't go around slamming into things just because it does. It's a safety feature that isn't supposed to be used. Plus I'm guessing, if the board's surge protection is only rated to handle so much voltage, (like plug-in surge protectors) I have no idea if the surge protection even works anymore. So after I said that, he said "I'll send you a label, just this once."

What is going on there? Send the label if your stuff fails. It's your fault. And get a customer satisfaction survey on the lines or something. Please.

VU
post edited by valorunlimited - 2016/06/24 09:08:17

25 Replies Related Threads

MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14686
    • Ribbons : 38
    Re: Bad Cserv Experience 2016/06/23 09:01:56 (permalink)
    Most companies require you to pay to ship a product in for warranty service. If the replacement EVGA send you back messes up within the first 30days, evga will cover shipping cost both ways.

Make sure you package the card correctly and get shipping insurance on it.  Do not ship the hardware in a paper envelop or the package will be refused.  

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Bad Cserv Experience 2016/06/23 09:05:14 (permalink)
    They aren't responsible for shipping back. If it is a second or third rma, they will help you out usually.

Not many companies are going to give you a label after 30 days. They require you to pay return shipping to them only, and they pay for shipping to send you the replacement.

You say it was sending surges.. How so and what makes you think that? The GPU would be getting power from the PSU, as it doesn't power itself, and surges usually come from the PSU.
    MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Bad Cserv Experience 2016/06/23 09:16:31 (permalink)
    Corsair will cover shipping both ways on the 2nd RMA. They did that for my K70 keyboard. First one died after 3 days of purchased, exchanged it with Amazon, 2nd one LED's started dying a month later. After talking with Corsair support on the phone, they sent me a prepaid shipping label.  (I did Corsair express RMA)

valorunlimited
    Re: Bad Cserv Experience 2016/06/23 09:34:40 (permalink)
    I've RMA'd dozens of computer parts over the course of my 20+ years of gaming, (started out on a Dell Dimension in '95) and never once has a manufacturer tried to dodge responsibility for the shipping. Not sure why you would want to pay for shipping, when it's the manufacturer's responsibility to ensure quality control, but I digress.

Scarlet-Tech
    They aren't responsible for shipping back. If it is a second or third rma, they will help you out usually.

Not many companies are going to give you a label after 30 days. They require you to pay return shipping to them only, and they pay for shipping to send you the replacement.

You say it was sending surges.. How so and what makes you think that? The GPU would be getting power from the PSU, as it doesn't power itself, and surges usually come from the PSU.

ASUS Motherboard sent a display message to the bios, saying it detected surges from the power supply. I thought it was the PSU too, but replaced the PSU with a new EVGA Supernova 650. Previously I was using a Raidmax 850. Both are 80+ Gold rated supplies. Anyway it persisted after that. So I figured it must be the wall power. Bought a new APC 1200LE Voltage regulator to go between the surge protector I use and the wall. The problem persisted. I reseated the memory and the graphics card, and blew all the dust out of my case. Issue persisted. So I decided to turn off surge protection altogether. Risky move, but I needed to know what was going on, and the BIOS wasn't giving me enough information. System shut off during gaming. There was an audible buzz from the graphics card. Then the system refused to post. I replaced the 970 with a 760 I had laying around, and it booted normally. Played games normally. No surges.

Conclusion: It's a bad graphics card.

post edited by valorunlimited - 2016/06/23 09:46:48
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: Bad Cserv Experience 2016/06/23 09:47:19 (permalink)
    I had one dell laptop, and they required me to pay for shipping and then when it failed a second time, they had me pay $100 for a service technician to come look at it. When the tech took it home for the weekend, they replaced it, because he wasn't supposed to do that. Only after he took my laptop did they pay shipping, so I guess you got lucky.

I wouldn't touch dell if it was the last available pc on the planet.
    valorunlimited
    Re: Bad Cserv Experience 2016/06/23 09:56:00 (permalink)
    I had an Alienware Area-51 5700 laptop, and the graphics interface with the motherboard shot itself twice. Both times they covered the shipping both ways. And that is a heavy laptop. Logitech covered both RMAs of my G-930 headset when it developed connectivity issues, and when my Corsair H50 AIO cooler started to make a gurgling sound 2 months ago, the CS Rep offered to start the RMA (It was just an air bubble in the wrong place, I fixed it on my own.) Anyway. He said I wouldn't have to pay for the shipping. So. Maybe I did get lucky. Or maybe it's just not as common as everyone says it is, and they're playing you guys.

My philosophy is, I wouldn't be returning it at all if it worked properly. If I have to pay for shipping, I might as well just order a different brand on Amazon.

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: Bad Cserv Experience 2016/06/23 10:03:34 (permalink)
    Good luck with other brands. Asus will send you the exact same failing card back. If you think $15-$20 is too much to spend on shipping, another $300 for a new gpu isn't going to happen. I don't understand why anyone attempts this threat, as it doesn't do anything.

You don't need to overnight the item. Just pack it well, and send it USPS priority and get insurance on it.

Another thing, you said it is 90 days old. Why not look into the step-up program? If it hasn't crossed the 90 threshold, you registered the card within 14 days, and you are the first owner, you can use it to stepup to a 1070.
    MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Bad Cserv Experience 2016/06/23 10:21:35 (permalink)
    I think every graphic card companies require customers to pay to ship the product in for warranty service. If you live in the states, it would be like $15-20 (with insurance) to ship the card in for warranty service.

valorunlimited
    Re: Bad Cserv Experience 2016/06/23 10:28:43 (permalink)
    See the thing is, it's not about me or the money. It's about people in general. I would rather brand switch and spend 500 dollars for a new card with another company, than enable, and continue to give money to someone who doesn't care about their customer base. I would give up computing, before I'd become a brand yes-man. And that's something that more consumers need to do. Vote with your wallet. Saying "Oh ASUS isn't much better." Okay. There are like a thousand other graphics card manufacturers out there. You think all of them are going to tell a customer to cough up some cash every time they make a defective product? I just gave examples of companies that do care. So that's my feelings on the subject.

I'm not stepping up, because I don't have another 300 dollars to blow on a graphics card at the moment. I may do it in the next 30 days but I may not. In my experience, the 'tock' is always better than the 'tick' when it comes to design, stability, and performance. My money is that the follow-up architecture of the 1170 will be the more sound investment. And I can't step up into an 1170 if I go in on the 10, so I might as well wait.

post edited by valorunlimited - 2016/06/23 10:39:14
    EVGATech_ChrisB
    EVGA Tech Support
    • Total Posts : 2033
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Bad Cserv Experience 2016/06/23 10:29:36 (permalink)
    Dear valorunlimited,

I apologize that you are unhappy with your experience with our support.  I assure you that we do care and that is why our representative made an exception to support you with a UPS Prepaid shipping label when requested, even though outside of 30 days from the purchase date.  Please understand that our warranty terms are available online at http://www.evga.com/warranty/ to try and avoid any confusion on our RMA process.  

I assure you that it is very uncommon for a graphics card to send any surges to a motherboard, as this is usually the other way around.  However if the graphics card does have a failure, which is uncommon, then it will usually just stop functioning and not cause any damage to the system.

I assure you that we are here to help and you will be receiving a call from one of our Customer Support Supervisors to assist further.

Also for your reference, below is our customer satisfaction Survey and you will also be emailed to assist.  
    http://www.evga.com/myevga/rateus/  

valorunlimited
    EVGA,

I wanted to let you know I had a bad experience trying to RMA my 970 today. Long story short about the card, it started sending surges to the motherboard after 90 days of ownership. The latest shorted the card and made it so the system wouldn't even post. So it's a dead card. After calling the customer service line, the guy started my RMA but didn't even offer a return shipping label? WTH? It's your card failure. It's not like I installed it wrong, or did a custom solder job on it. I pointed out that it could have killed my mobo, but he was like "Mobos have built-in surge protection."  Yeah they do. And my car has seatbelts. But I don't go around slamming into things just because it does. It's a safety feature that isn't supposed to be used. Plus I'm guessing, if the board's surge protection is only rated to handle so much voltage, (like plug-in surge protectors) I have no idea if the surge protection even works anymore. So after I said that, he said "I'll send you a label, just this once."

What is going on there? Send the label if your stuff fails. It's your fault. And get a customer satisfaction survey on the lines or something. Please.

VU

valorunlimited
    Re: Bad Cserv Experience 2016/06/23 10:35:03 (permalink)
    Chris,

Thanks for your response. I will discuss this further with the agent when I receive the call.

This thread can be archived. I'll handle it with EVGA going forward.

VU
    post edited by valorunlimited - 2016/06/23 10:47:24
    MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Bad Cserv Experience 2016/06/23 10:42:10 (permalink)
    valorunlimited
    See the thing is, it's not about me or the money. It's about people in general. I would rather brand switch and spend 500 dollars for a new card with another company, than enable, and continue to give money to someone who doesn't care about their customer base. I would give up computing, before I'd become a brand yes-man. And that's something that more consumers need to do. Vote with your wallet. Saying "Oh ASUS isn't much better." Okay. There are like a thousand other graphics card manufacturers out there. You think all of them are going to tell a customer to cough up some cash every time they make a defective product? I just gave examples of companies that do care. So...you know...what's your second argument? Now that the first has been taken apart.

I'm not stepping up, because I don't have another 300 dollars to blow on a graphics card at the moment. I may do it in the next 30 days but I may not. The 'tock' is always better than the 'tick' when it comes to design, stability, and performance. My money is that the follow-up architecture of the 1170 will be the more sound investment. And I can't step up into an 1170 if I go in on the 10, so I might as well wait.

I'm far from a brand yes-man or a company butt kisser. If you look at ASrock, ASUS, GIGABYTE or MSI RMA policy, i bet you will see all of them require customer to pay for shipping the product in for warranty service.

I wish more companies would offer prepaid shipping labels for all warranty service. It's one of the reason why i like to buy Logitech mice. If you ever need warranty service, they will email you a prepaid shipping label.

valorunlimited
    Re: Bad Cserv Experience 2016/06/23 10:55:42 (permalink)
    MSim (Would have sent this as a PM but I don't have the days in yet)
    If you want more manufacturers to do that, then push them to change the warranty. Every line in that warranty was written because of trending experience with the company. Good or bad. It's only fair, IMO, and if Logitech can do it with peripherals, Alienware does it with whole computers, why can't EVGA take the lead on something like this? I realize Logitech doesn't directly compete with EVGA. But that's by luck. Logitech makes tiny tiny pieces for its gaming mice. They could research aftermarket coolers and design software to specifically modify NVidia cards too, if they were expanding into the GPU market. Comped shipping is not an unreasonable request. It only becomes unreasonable, because they don't want you to realize it.
    post edited by valorunlimited - 2016/06/23 11:00:55
    WackyWRZ
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 603
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: Bad Cserv Experience 2016/06/23 11:29:41 (permalink)
    MSim

I'm far from a brand yes-man or a company butt kisser. If you look at ASrock, ASUS, GIGABYTE or MSI RMA policy, i bet you will see all of them require customer to pay for shipping the product in for warranty service.

I wish more companies would offer prepaid shipping labels for all warranty service. It's one of the reason why i like to buy Logitech mice. If you ever need warranty service, they will email you a prepaid shipping label.

Agreed - I have RMAed with ASUS, MSI, and Gigabyte and every one of them requires the customer pay return shipping.

Lenovo has some really top notch support - they actually send a box out with a prepaid label for you to send your machine back for service.  Dell does this too but generally only see it on business class machines.  At the same time it's not really a good comparison in my eyes - you're comparing oranges to orange wedges.  Lenovo mfg the entire machine so if any one part is bad its ALL on them to fix (plus they have it in stock and can do end-end testing).  Pieces and parts have a lot of variance to what could actually be bad or the root cause - which generally support can narrow down but the chances are much greater that someone claims a part is bad when in-fact it's something else causing it.

CASE: Anidees AI Crystal XL | MOBO: ASUS X470 Crosshair VII | CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600 | RAM: G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200 2x8GB B-Die | SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVME 1TB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 P2 | GPU: AMD RX5700 XT | MON: AOC CU34G2X 1440p/144hz 34" Ultrawide + Dell S2716DG 1440p/144Hz | Cooling: Full custom loop, Heatkiller D5 150, Aquacomputer D5 Next + Quadro, EK Supremacy Evo, EK Coolstream PE 480, Bykski 5700XT | HEAT: 20-0-0 - http://www.heatware.com/u/104452

MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Bad Cserv Experience 2016/06/23 12:00:12 (permalink)
    valorunlimited
    MSim (Would have sent this as a PM but I don't have the days in yet)
    If you want more manufacturers to do that, then push them to change the warranty. Every line in that warranty was written because of trending experience with the company. Good or bad. It's only fair, IMO, and if Logitech can do it with peripherals, Alienware does it with whole computers, why can't EVGA take the lead on something like this? I realize Logitech doesn't directly compete with EVGA. But that's by luck. Logitech makes tiny tiny pieces for its gaming mice. They could research aftermarket coolers and design software to specifically modify NVidia cards too, if they were expanding into the GPU market. Comped shipping is not an unreasonable request. It only becomes unreasonable, because they don't want you to realize it.

I try to push evga to make changes whenever i can. I helped to push evga to make changes on it's memory warranty. evga went from 3 year warranty to matching industry standard limited lifetime warranty on it's memory, after customers feedback on the forums and around the net. I mention Logitech covers shipping both ways when people are looking to purchase a new mouse. I asked evga before they came out with TORQ mice, if they had plans to covering shipping both ways like Logitech does, sadly they said no they wouldn't be doing that.

EVGA does listen to customers, they have made changes in the past customers wanted. Maybe one day we might see evga start offering prepaid shipping labels on products.

valorunlimited
    Re: Bad Cserv Experience 2016/06/23 15:01:38 (permalink)
    Update: Talk with Jason the rep went well. Everything is beyond good now. EVGA is willing to help you out and then some if you have a legit issue. Thanks again.
    kaninja
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8755
    • Ribbons : 25
    Re: Bad Cserv Experience 2016/06/23 15:59:56 (permalink)
    Another happy EVGA customer.

Corsair 650D   -  i5 3570K @ 4.6GHz  -  Corsair H80i  -  MSI Z77 M-Power  -  16GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator Platinum
    WD 1TB Caviar Black x2  -  OCZ 120GB Vertex2 SSD  -  Corsair HX620  -  GTX285 SSC  -  Samsung T240  -  DIR-655

XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: Bad Cserv Experience 2016/06/23 19:13:30 (permalink)
    kaninja

+1    Title should be updated by the OP too.   ;)

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Bad Cserv Experience 2016/06/24 05:04:12 (permalink)
    XrayMan
    kaninja

It shouldn't change, that way people can see a customer did have an issue but evga helped them. This thread would serve as a review of evga.  
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    Re: Bad Cserv Experience 2016/06/24 05:07:58 (permalink)
    Valor, it's good to hear they are helping out.

MSim, a *resolved* shows the latest there was a resolution, and shows that people should look in and see what it was.
    valorunlimited
    Re: Bad Cserv Experience 2016/06/24 09:08:37 (permalink)
    XrayMan
    kaninja

Done.
    valorunlimited
    Re: Bad Cserv Experience 2016/07/01 09:38:52 (permalink)
    Update:

They sent an advanced RMA, but UPS has failed to deliver the package. No additional tracking info has been added for 48 hours. Cserv refused to contact UPS to figure out where my graphics card is or when it will be delivered. I think this is one guy working for customer service, as he always uses the same tone of voice with me. Needless to say, this is back to being unresolved again.
    EddieH
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 2016
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Bad Cserv Experience 2016/07/01 10:45:23 (permalink)
    valorunlimited
    Update:

They sent an advanced RMA, but UPS has failed to deliver the package. No additional tracking info has been added for 48 hours. Cserv refused to contact UPS to figure out where my graphics card is or when it will be delivered. I think this is one guy working for customer service, as he always uses the same tone of voice with me. Needless to say, this is back to being unresolved again.

Hello valorunlimited,
    I am sorry to hear about delay with your replacement.  Normally our Techs do not contact UPS, but escalate any issues to a Supervisor, in scenarios where there may be a lost package or damage in shipping.  I do apologize if your experience calling us today was less than satisfactory. 

I did just get off the phone with UPS regarding your RMA, since there is a message on the UPS site with the following: "Delay: Emergency Situation or Severe Weather"

The shipment to you was on a train/cargo to PA.  It appears that early this morning at 1 am the UPS hub in Esplin, PA reported a Rock slide on the train tracks carrying your package along with many other packages.  The UPS rep told me that at this time shipment is at the mercy of the repair crew of railroad company to have the issue cleared/fixed/or repaired to get that train and probably other trains moving again.  This may be why there is no update on the UPS page with an actual delivery date. 

I am very sorry for the delay, but UPS did assure me the are doing their best to get the packages on that train to the hub, then processed and delivered.  I am very sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you.  

_Eddie
    post edited by EVGATech_EddieH - 2016/07/01 10:47:13
    valorunlimited
    Re: Bad Cserv Experience 2016/07/01 10:53:04 (permalink)
    Yeah, they didn't escalate, but I appreciate you responding to me here. Thank you for giving me information as to the status of my card. I was trying to locate Esplin on the map to determine how much further it had to travel...and if it actually had gone past the destination. But google maps is having a hard time finding that location. If it's in PA, I would not expect it to be a delay of greater than 48 hours. If it's going to be greater than 96, maybe a refund would be the best course of action, and getting UPS to ship complimentary next day air. They should do this if the delay is expected to take longer than the actual ship time.

VU
    valorunlimited
    Re: Bad Cserv Experience 2016/07/01 12:32:33 (permalink)
    Update:

http://www.nscorp.com/content/nscorp/en/shipping-tools/shipping-news-and-alerts/rockslide-near-pittsburghpastabilizationplan.html

It looks like UPS failed to divert around this. As a result they got stuck. The report was issued on June 28, and they didn't reroute accordingly. Fault lies with them. This could be delayed greater than 48 hours.

Called NS. Service has resumed. Delays are 24 hours at this point. No return is needed.
    post edited by valorunlimited - 2016/07/01 13:24:25
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile