Constant 980 Ti Kingpin Issues

Author
jjms1976
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/06/27 00:15:44 (permalink)
I am now on my 3rd 980Ti Kingpin card.

The first one had very bad coil whine and was returned.
The second one blew up in my system...
Now the third one that has arrived has a lower ASIC quality than the 2 previous cards and has coil whine worse than the original! I am sitting here with the card running and it is hurting my ears.

This is completely unacceptable for a card of this value and supposed quality.

I would really just like the card I paid for to actually run so my PC is not constantly out of action due to faulty EVGA products. I haven't even been able to overclock it yet due to constant issues.

Can an EVGA employee or product manager or something assist in sorting this disaster out please?

10 Replies Related Threads

DeeX
    • Total Posts : 58
    Re: Constant 980 Ti Kingpin Issues 2016/06/27 00:40:46 (permalink)
    jjms1976
    I am now on my 3rd 980Ti Kingpin card.

The first one had very bad coil whine and was returned.
    The second one blew up in my system...
    Now the third one that has arrived has a lower ASIC quality than the 2 previous cards and has coil whine worse than the original! I am sitting here with the card running and it is hurting my ears.

This is completely unacceptable for a card of this value and supposed quality.

I would really just like the card I paid for to actually run so my PC is not constantly out of action due to faulty EVGA products. I haven't even been able to overclock it yet due to constant issues.

Can an EVGA employee or product manager or something assist in sorting this disaster out please?

What are you testing with that is causing the whine?

Aside from the ASIC, often times each one of your mentioned problems can be caused by a bunk PSU. 
    Before you say "My PSU is fairly new", the nature of power supplies is not simply it works or it doesn't. 
    They can malfunction and cause system instability, component failures, and yes even increased coil whine. 
    Regarding the coil whine. I experimented once with multiple power supplies and the same card. 
    Switching between 3 different power supplies yielded different behaviors when it came to coil whine. 
    I ended up with an AX760 and the coil whine was virtually gone. 
    However with that said if I run a benchmark or an old game where the frame rates are insanely high (i.e. Half Life 1 or something)
    Then it will coil whine. I think that is a sure fire way to reproduce coil whine with any modern graphics card. 
    It should be noted that when I cap my frames to like 30 in HL the whine stops. 

As annoying as coil whine is, its not actually a defect and is harmless when it comes to operation of hardware. 
    I think we have become spoiled and often forget just how complicated computing especially when it comes to graphics processing really is. 

Another thing regarding coil whine is that some people are more sensitive to it then others. At certain frequencies certain people cannot even hear it even when others cant.
    Its kinda like that ultra sonic ringtones the cool kids had that adults couldnt hear. So if you are more sensitive to hearing those frequencies then it would sound louder to you. 
    I remember back in the day I was a reseller slanging M1710 and M1730 laptops and I had a few customers that would tell me they could hear this electronic noise coming from the laptop. 
    Most other customers never heard this or at least did not complain. I tried to listen to this same laptop and could not hear it even though he could. 

Either way I would double, triple check your power supply. 
    How old is it? What model?

bigcee
    • Total Posts : 82
    Re: Constant 980 Ti Kingpin Issues 2016/06/27 13:36:01 (permalink)
    Yes, please post full system specs and use the evga power calculator or some equivalent to see if yours meets your needs.  Or post it here and we can just tell you.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,  gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. - Galatians 5:22,23

Stardust_One
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 678
    Re: Constant 980 Ti Kingpin Issues 2016/06/27 13:52:59 (permalink)
    You should open a ticket... That's hard, for such an exclusive gpu.

Edit: Out of curiosity, what are your components?

jjms1976
    Re: Constant 980 Ti Kingpin Issues 2016/06/27 15:56:56 (permalink)
    Thanks for the responses all. I'll try to answer them all in this post.

The PSU is a brand new EVGA 850W G2 (few months old, tops). This was to replace an EVGA 1000W P2 which had shorts coming from the VGA slots. Maybe this could be an issue? Although I'm fairly certain on the first card which ran for a while on the 1000W PSU it still whined.

There is a temporary card in there which is an old Radeon 6970. No issues with this card.

Unfortunately the whine is not something that can be considered a normal amount of noise from electronics. It is quite piercing and very noticeable. Some cases it can actually hurt my ears. For some background, I've been building PCs since an install of Windows ME was new and this is certainly not a normal amount of electronic noise.

I've had a failed EVGA Micro2, a failed EVGA 1000W P2 PSU, now 3 top end EVGA cards with issues. All with this same build. Saying I am frustrated is an extreme understatement...

Specs:
    5820K (slight overclock, varied while testing, including stock - Under 4GHz and water cooled)
    EVGA Micro2
    EVGA 850W G2 PSU
    EVGA 980 Ti Kingpin
    Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB 3000Mhz
    Samsung 512GB M.2

I have some communication going with EVGA APAC as I am based in Australia.
    ragevirusqq
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 446
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Constant 980 Ti Kingpin Issues 2016/06/27 16:05:40 (permalink)
    Coil whine can sometimes be lessened/removed entirely by a lengthy burn in. I had an asus strix 980 that was a banshee when new. I left heaven running for 8 hours and it totally went away. 

CaseLabs SM8 - X99 Classified - EVGA 1080ti - 5930k @ 4.5 - 32GB Hyper X predator - 480mm x2 and 360mm rads for super low fan speed and quiet operation- EK blocks and pump/res - All Bitspower black fittings - 1Tb samsung 850 evo 2tb total ssd space - EVGA 1300G2 - Predator X34 - Mayflower Objective 2 DAC/AMP - Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro - Sennheiser HD6xx - Mackie CR4 monitors
    ragevirusqq
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 446
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Constant 980 Ti Kingpin Issues 2016/06/27 16:07:36 (permalink)
    Also, Sucks to hear about your bad luck. I have been buying EVGA products for years and have only ever had one issue. The issue was not QC related either. 

CaseLabs SM8 - X99 Classified - EVGA 1080ti - 5930k @ 4.5 - 32GB Hyper X predator - 480mm x2 and 360mm rads for super low fan speed and quiet operation- EK blocks and pump/res - All Bitspower black fittings - 1Tb samsung 850 evo 2tb total ssd space - EVGA 1300G2 - Predator X34 - Mayflower Objective 2 DAC/AMP - Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro - Sennheiser HD6xx - Mackie CR4 monitors
    Stardust_One
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 678
    Re: Constant 980 Ti Kingpin Issues 2016/06/27 16:18:01 (permalink)
    jjms1976

I've had a failed EVGA Micro2, a failed EVGA 1000W P2 PSU, now 3 top end EVGA cards with issues. All with this same build. Saying I am frustrated is an extreme understatement...

Specs:
    5820K (slight overclock, varied while testing, including stock - Under 4GHz and water cooled)
    EVGA Micro2
    EVGA 850W G2 PSU
    EVGA 980 Ti Kingpin
    Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB 3000Mhz
    Samsung 512GB M.2

I have some communication going with EVGA APAC as I am based in Australia.

That's decent hardware. The best you can do is keep close contact with EVGA...

Edit:...
    post edited by Carbonshape - 2016/06/27 16:27:19

jjms1976
    Re: Constant 980 Ti Kingpin Issues 2016/06/27 16:30:26 (permalink)
    ragevirusqq
    Coil whine can sometimes be lessened/removed entirely by a lengthy burn in. I had an asus strix 980 that was a banshee when new. I left heaven running for 8 hours and it totally went away. 

I have tried the burn-in and had some success with the second card, before it burned out, but hasn't helped with the others.

Also tried over/under overlock/voltage, but still nothing. Whine is always there.
    tjernagel
    • Total Posts : 11
    Re: Constant 980 Ti Kingpin Issues 2018/01/21 16:55:32 (permalink)
    I had to RMA my Kingpin, PN: 06G-P4-5998-KR, SN: 1710655998****** card and tech support with eVGA has been fantastic. The card I receive will be my 4th kingpin.

I have to say I’m pretty disappointed in the purchase of this card.  It’s used in a ASUS Rampage V Extreme motherboard running an Intel i7-5960x CPU. Power for the system is a CoolerMaster RS-C50-EMBA-D2 1250w power supply.

While I’m waiting for the replacement card on the RMA I’m running dual eVGA GTX680’s in SLI and all is well.  What I’ve seen in the failures is both cards will cause a system failure requiring a reboot of the system. It doesn’t lock up, you’ll be working and all of a sudden the system will reboot.

On the first card the next symptom was I lost video out on my second monitor. I had to move it from a display port connection to a DVI port and was able to get both monitors working again but the instant reboot continued. If I ran a stress test or benchmark using OC Scanner X the system would always reboot.

On the last card I received I saw this behavior again but within a week instead of reboot I’d get a hard lockup.  My main monitor would go to power save and the second monitor would have a fixed bright color. Then in its dyeing breath the system rebooted and the video never came back on.

If I run CPU and GPU testing together with the GTX680’s the system is stable and I’m running them now as I write this email. The 5960 cpu never runs of breath even when it’s running at 100%.

I’m running the Kingpin at stock speeds, temps and voltages. I don’t have a need to overclock it and the voltages from the power supply are stable.
    post edited by Sajin - 2018/01/21 18:36:30
    Dave3d
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 720
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Constant 980 Ti Kingpin Issues 2018/01/22 12:16:24 (permalink)
    Wow.
    It must be your machine.
    This is statistically impossible that its evga's fault.
    LOL
    Yeah, I am on my 6th Titan X, and I HAVE to install Afterburner just to keep the fans on hjigh to keep the card from making the screen flicker, and sometimes have to reboot to get the card to work right in games.
    Not so with my 780 though. It is totally fine.
    I have the Asus Sabertooth X99, with a 5930k, all stock.
    Watch all the people come here and say its our systems.
    :P

I hope you get a good one.
    I havent, but I did kind of find a way to make my machine at least game.
    Try using one of those 680's (or a 480 or above) as a dedicated physx card, and then install the latest drivers over those old 480-680  drivers.
    AND use MSI Afterburner to mod the fan speeds. The fans are way too low to keep my system stable, even when just web browsing, unless the fan speeds are on much higher.
    Its worth a shot. Maybe you will get to use the system for more than a few months.
    :)

I7 9700k water cooled-32GB Ram-Zotac 2080 x2 SLI-Asrock Z390 SLI mobo-EVGA 1600W G2 psu-ABS Glass case-2560x1440 144hz IPS monitor-Windows 10 Home
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile