Completed - Gear Up with EVGA "Dark DragonBlade"

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 31001
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 122
Re: Work in Progress - "Dark Samurai" 2016/08/13 19:31:33 (permalink)
Amazing results with some basic hand tools and hard work. 

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Kazuma16
  • Total Posts : 85
  • Ribbons : 6
Re: Work in Progress - "Dark Samurai" 2016/08/14 19:27:54 (permalink)
Hey guys!

Sorry for the lack of updates lately. Here's where I am so far with the project. Was able to accomplished (finally) some paint job that is needed for the project. Did some more gluing too. 

Okay. A few weeks ago, I wasn't able to do some acrylic cutting outside (as usual, ****ty weather with a little bit of hail on the side), decided to run to my CNC (shapeoko 3). One of the reasons why I rarely use my CNC is that I need to do some more tweaking to it since there is some issue with the bed level and some software issue. Sometimes I would finish simple and small jobs (like the photo below) without any issues.

But most of the times, the machine will suddenly stop in the middle of a job (software issues), and most of the time, I would end up going back to my good, old friend, jigsaw. Pair that up with some sanding paper, hand file and some acrylic polish. 

And finally, did some paint job last week, but needed to redo the paint because of 2 reasons. Bugs who think that the smell of paint was sweet and decided to land on the freshly painted acrylic sheet, and second, dust! As some of you know, I don't have any workshop (yet), so I usually do all cutting and painting outside, in our backyard.

After re-doing the paint twice, finally!

These are all going to get glued together.

The left side cover. Need to do some more polishing and cleaning. I decided to put in Genji's skills icons on this side of the cover and decided to put the "EVGA" on the other side cover. 

For the PSU cover, I was able to finished gluing all of them together. Need some more polishing, again. 

And this is where I am so far. Got the PSU cover finished, and the left side cover. 

And that's all for this update. Next weekend, I will start to do the right psu cover and side cover. And then I will need to do some light modification for the dividing plate of the computer case to accommodate a 360mm radiator with 1-1/2" thickness and fans. I was planning on going with a push-pull configuration. And after that, I will move with doing some work for the top panel while waiting for the water cooling components from Thermaltake.

Well, that's all for me for now. Thank you for taking your time to go through my worklog update! See you in the next one! Ciao! 
Kazuma16
Re: Work in Progress - "Dark Samurai" 2016/09/11 18:42:44 (permalink)
Little update!

Finally got some stuff out of the way for work! Got to do some progress for this project. Did some more small details last weekend. Weather was great so I was able to paint it up right away.

Did some more tinkering with my CNC, got it to work a little bit better than before specially handling a bit complicated codes than normal without stopping in the middle of the job. I then decided to do a fan grill for the project, wasn't really expecting for it to work but it did!

It needs to get glued together though. Not sure if I'll paint this up or not.

And I finally got the water cooling stuff from Thermaltake. Can't wait to use them specially their new 90 degree compression fittings. 

Finally got something to use to get those accurate bends for the tubes! 

Next weekend, I'll try to make a custom reservoir mount. I was planning on putting the reservoir on a horizontal position just beneath the GPU.

Looks like I have some room on the "partition" of the case for the tubes to go through. So I need to drill some holes on it and slap some pass through fittings. 

Can't wait for next weekend to get more progress on this! And sorry for the lack of updates lately. Life has been busier than usual for me. That's all for me for this little update. Ciao!
Kazuma16
Re: Work in Progress - "Dark Samurai" 2016/10/02 20:37:10 (permalink)
Update time! This update will be the last update before posting final photos (finally and hopefully). Just waiting for the water blocks and some screws before putting it together.

Around 2 weeks ago I started doing some more acrylic cutting and got my CNC to work properly (for a short while), so after cutting the "Overwatch" text and the Thermaltake Premium logo, I tried making a custom, mountable cable comb. It worked great, AT FIRST,  but after a few cable combs, it started doing stupid stuff again. 

This will be the right side inner cover for the project. I haven't removed the paper masking on the other side on this one yet so the color of it might look different but its not. 

Here's both of them.

This is the cable comb the I tried making. I was planning on mounting it on the back of the motherboard tray so the power supply cables will look a little bit cleaner when routing them around. The cable comb will hold the 24 pin power supply cables and x2 8 pin power supply cables. 

I am not sure if I will still continue this type of cable comb since having this kind of cable comb will give me issues if I will put the side panels back. 

Time to drill some holes on the case partition/divider. I encountered a problem with this arrangement. I wanted to use a 90 degree elbow fitting from the res to the pump but by doing so, I will need to come up with a taller reservoir mount.

I ended up tearing half of the case to get the case partition/divider out. After removing the rivets, I went ahead and tap the holes so I could use screws instead of rivets when Im going to put it back together. 

Aaaaand, finally! I got it out!

Time to get a little bit of motherboard modding!

And I while I'm on it, I did a little bit more paint job. This time, its for the SSD case/mount.

Remember the custom reservoir mount that I mentioned earlier? Well, since I got the cable comb done, I went ahead and tried to tweak my CNC a little bit more and try my luck out. Which actually worked out a little bit then before. But of course, there is always going to be a issue of some sort when I am using the CNC.

See the difference? My CNC was around 90% to completion cutting this reservoir holder when it decided that it's getting sick and tired of following the gcode that it was receiving, so instead of cutting a straight cut on the top part of the holder, it decided to go with an angle. 

And the second problem that I encountered is that, I miscalculated the height of the reservoir holder. The reservoir holder needs to be an inch taller that the first one that I did.

My second attempt, well, I thought that it was going to fail again and I was preparing myself to get back to the old jigsaw+file and sand way, but it actually worked! 

And while the CNC is on the "I am on a nice mood" mode, I tried and push my luck a little bit further and try making some cable combs for the 24 pin power supply cable extension. It actually worked like charm this time although the cable combs needs some polishing.

The screw that I will be using for the cable combs will be different. I might go with button head screws. I just waiting for them to arrive.

That's all for me for this update! Hopefully my next update will have final photos of the project! I can't wait to get this project done and put it together! Till the next update! See yah!! 
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Work in Progress - "Dark Samurai" 2016/10/02 21:27:22 (permalink)
Some nice detail work. 

Next time you'll have to get a shop with a laser to help sponsor your build

I'm amazed how much you have free handed or milled in plastic

Keep the updates coming. 

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

Kazuma16
Re: Work in Progress - "Dark Samurai" 2016/10/03 06:38:16 (permalink)
Cool GTX
Some nice detail work. 

Next time you'll have to get a shop with a laser to help sponsor your build

I'm amazed how much you have free handed or milled in plastic

Keep the updates coming. 

Thanks man! To be honest, this project could have been finished months ago IF only my CNC cooperated with me. This project took too long in my opinion because of all the free hand acrylic cuts. I remember one well known modder, who had a project years ago (maybe 5 or 6 years ago) and he made a scratch build computer case made out of acrylic. I remember him saying that he spent A LOT of time trying to polish all the edges of the acrylic pieces that he had. Hearing his story is funny but once you have experienced it yourself, oh man. He mentioned that he was sanding and polishing the acrylic edges even when he's watching tv shows or watching stuff over the internet for days. Which I ended up doing too. The taste of acrylic dust over bacon every weekend mornings is addictive as hell. :P
Kazuma16
Re: Work in Progress - "Dark Samurai" 2016/10/16 17:24:26 (permalink)
Hey guys! Another small update coming. But the next update will include the final photos. I got almost everything ready now, and all I need to do is clean up the computer case from dusts, polish up the acrylic cuts that I did a few weeks ago, do some custom sleeving and lastly assemble the build. Having that said, here's a few photos of what I have been working on since the last update.

And for the custom cable comb, I ended up making a simple mount for the cable comb. 

A few weeks ago, I decided to tweak my CNC and see if I can get it to work better. After spending a few days on it, I discovered a solution for one of the issues. Looks like one of windows update screwed the latest driver for the CNC (compatibility issue). I tried to roll the driver back by 2 versions, and the CNC is working a bit more efficient now. It can finish a whole job now instead of stopping in the middle of it. There were still a few issues but for now, I will abuse the hell out of my CNC. I decided to make a custom back plate for the EVGA GTX 980Ti Classified card.

And since I got the CNC working now, I decided to try and give it a little more complicated Gcode and see what happens. I was fully expecting that it will crash while generating the gcode, but it did not! So I made this "Gear Up with EVGA" logo! This will be painted and will go on the right psu shroud. It needs a little bit of filing out though since the cutter bit that I used was a dull one. 

That's it for me for now. Please stay tuned for the final update! If you made it this far, thank you very much for sticking with me on this project! 
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 102300
  • Ribbons : 84
Re: Work in Progress - "Dark Samurai" 2016/10/18 03:59:10 (permalink)
Some fantastic work here.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Kazuma16
Re: Work in Progress - "Dark Samurai" 2016/11/13 20:07:11 (permalink)
Update!

Sorry for the lack of updates the past few weeks. I got an emergency project for a local LAN event here and only had 3 weeks (that's 6 days for me) to get it done. But now that that's out of the way, time to finish the DragonBlade up! Although it will be next week since I ran out of power supply cable and pin connectors. But here is a little update, the wife suggested to add a few more details for the side covers and for the PSU shroud. 

And this is going to be the right PSU shroud cover.

This will be the top panel.

Last week when I was trying to put everything together to try to run some loop, I found out that the first custom GPU backplate that I did won't work because of some clearance issues between the backplate and the IO shield and the RAM slots. So, I ended up revising the backplate. It's still a bit dirty since I haven't polished it yet (the wife might become in charge of the polishing part to speed things up). Top one was the first backplate that I did and the one at the bottom is the revised one.

A little detail for the fans that I will be using. Saw a roll of carbon fiber vinyl sticker laying around. :)

Removing the stock cooler of the glorious Classified 980Ti was hard for me. That thing already looks damn sexy AF. 

I won't get tired staring at this photo that I took. ;P

Almost there! Next week will be the final update (hopefully)! Just need to figure out the route for the loop and the best spot for the drain line. See yah on the next one! Ciao!
Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
  • Total Posts : 18926
  • Ribbons : 58
Re: Work in Progress - "Dark Samurai" 2016/11/13 20:28:42 (permalink)

One word : WOW 

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

Kazuma16
Re: Work in Progress - "Dark Samurai" 2016/11/13 20:40:28 (permalink)
Nereus

One word : WOW 

Is that a "Wow" because the project is taking so long? LOL! Thanks man! 
notfordman
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10345
  • Ribbons : 28
Re: Work in Progress - "Dark Samurai" 2016/11/15 01:02:25 (permalink)
This will be really cool when your done. You're getting close! I like all the personal touches. Nereus is right. 
Kazuma16
Re: Work in Progress - "Dark Samurai" 2016/11/15 07:19:44 (permalink)
notfordman
This will be really cool when your done. You're getting close! I like all the personal touches. Nereus is right. 

Thanks! Hopefully I could get this finish up by next week so I can move on to another project that might involve an Hadron Air case. Or another scratch build but will  be using the power supply that came with the Hadron Air. 
V84x4
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 282
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: Work in Progress - "Dark Samurai" 2016/11/15 13:16:00 (permalink)
Wow...............Just, WOW.........!!!!!!!

Subscribed

Regards, Rick

Computer Specs:
Lilan Li 011D Bitspower DISTRO,  MSI 570 Carbon Pro MB, AMD 3900X @ 3.8ghz, Bitspower Water Loop,
TRIDENT Z 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200,  evga 2080 Super, EK waterblock
 980 PRO M.2 1TB ,evga 1000w G3 psu, LG GSYNC 4KK Curved 32 inch, Windows 10 64bit 

Kazuma16
Re: Work in Progress - "Dark Samurai" 2016/11/15 15:10:25 (permalink)
V84x4
Wow...............Just, WOW.........!!!!!!!

Subscribed

Regards, Rick

Wow! thanks for the Sub! 
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Work in Progress - "Dark Samurai" 2016/11/16 03:39:26 (permalink)
Looking forward to the final pics!

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

EddieH
EVGA Alumni
  • Total Posts : 2016
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Work in Progress - "Dark Samurai" 2016/11/19 16:53:10 (permalink)
Awesome progress!!  The Gear Up logo looks sick!  My favorite is still the reservoir brackets!  Keep up the great work!
movieman
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1114
  • Ribbons : 5
Re: Work in Progress - "Dark Samurai" 2016/12/03 04:53:00 (permalink)
very nice build log!!!! Amazing piece of Art!!!!!! Just beautiful.

NZXT B550   AMD 5950X
EVGA 3080Ti Hydrocopper
WD Black 2TB NVME
Corsair 64GB (4 x 16GB)
Alienware AW3418DW 34" UW
Corsair HX 850          Corsair 5000X(white)
Windows 10               HEATWARE
Kazuma16
Re: Work in Progress - "Dark Samurai" 2016/12/05 21:02:30 (permalink)
Hey guys!

Finally, here we are. After a few hiccups, a few major and minor issues, I finally got the project done. I won't talk anymore since I owe you guys a final update, so without further ado, here's the final photos. 

My attempt on a neat cable routing. Was not as good as what I have expected but it seems like the bend is at its max.

Time to fill her up! This was one of the major issues that I had a few weeks ago. I got a bad leak. The adapter fitting on the cpu block had a bad o-ring on it, which might actually be my fault but im not sure. The coolant dripped down to the back plate of the graphics card, almost went inside the gpu itself. Good thing it didnt caused any damage. So I needed to wait till it all dries up just to make sure.

Lights off, UV light, on. 

I think that's all the "good" photos that I have. As you might have noticed, the coolant color on some of the photos are a bit "pale" and other photos, its a bit more vibrant. That's because I was still playing around with the camera settings of my DSLR (Nikon D3300).  It's my first DSLR camera and im still getting familiar with all the settings and what not.

Again, a very, very huge shout out to the sponsors of the this project, EVGA and Thermaltake! Thank you so, so much for the support that you guys gave me on this one. Specially the EVGA who was assisting with all their awesome components, Eddie, you Sir is just awesome. The assistance and patience that you gave me is just out of this world. And to all the other reps that gave me their full support, thank you so much! 

And for the people who was sticking with the build logs that I have put through out this project, thank you, thank you very much! Your words of encouragement kept me going on this project. If you have any questions or comments or suggestions, please, feel free to drop comment. I learned A LOT from this project and I am still hoping on learning some more from your feed backs.

Again, EVGA and Thermaltake, thank you so much! Now I can finally do a little clean up of my "Workshop" area.

Or maybe not... Anyway, see you guys on my next project! Just need to hibernate for a week, then I'll start to work on another project for... Well, we'll see. Ciao! 
rjohnson11
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Work in Progress - "Dark Samurai" 2016/12/05 22:36:26 (permalink)
A fantastic mod with great attention to detail!

Nereus
Captain Goodvibes
  • Total Posts : 18926
  • Ribbons : 58
Re: Work in Progress - "Dark Samurai" 2016/12/06 02:27:06 (permalink)

Well done!

BUILD 1 2   |   MINI-ITX BUILD   |   MODSRIGS $1K WIN   |   HEATWARE 111-0-0   |   ASSOCIATE CODE CSKKXUT5Q9GVAFR

Kazuma16
Re: Work in Progress - "Dark Samurai" 2016/12/06 14:22:29 (permalink)
rjohnson11
A fantastic mod with great attention to detail!

Thank you! This was a very positive and fun experience for me. Learned a lot from this project! 
Kazuma16
Re: Work in Progress - "Dark Samurai" 2016/12/06 14:24:38 (permalink)
Nereus

Well done!

This meme literally cracked me so hard! His face and how hard he clapped, just... LMFAO!! Thanks Nereus!
Vlada011
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10257
  • Ribbons : 11
Re: Work in Progress - "Dark Samurai" 2016/12/06 16:34:48 (permalink)
Great, when you finish move pictures in MODS RIGS.
You will get many nice comments and +.

First two pictures from post 50 could be excellent wallpapers.
post edited by Vlada011 - 2016/12/06 16:37:47

i7-5820K 4.5GHz/RVE10-EK Monoblock/Dominator Platinum 2666/ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon/SBZxR /Samsung 970 EVO PLus 1TB/850 EVO 1TB /EVGA 1200P2/Lian Li PC-O11WXC/EK XRES D5 Revo 100 Glass/Coolstream PE360-Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM x3
http://www.evga.com
http://www.intel.com
http://www.nvidia.com
https://watercool.de
http://www.lian-li.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMun5xiRe0

https://xdevs.com/guide/2080ti_kpe/#intro
https://www.evga.com/articles/01386/evga-sr-3-dark/

Reapervon
  • Total Posts : 38
  • Ribbons : 2
Re: Work in Progress - "Dark Samurai" 2016/12/18 10:23:40 (permalink)
Very well done jo! very amazing!!! definitely one of the best I've ever seen! CONGRATS!!!!! 
Looking forward to your next project!
V84x4
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 282
  • Ribbons : 7
Re: Work in Progress - "Dark Samurai" 2016/12/19 05:25:46 (permalink)

WOW.............

You have really inspired me (And im sure others)
to use our imagination and bring something unique to the table here...............

Best Regards, Rick

Computer Specs:
Lilan Li 011D Bitspower DISTRO,  MSI 570 Carbon Pro MB, AMD 3900X @ 3.8ghz, Bitspower Water Loop,
TRIDENT Z 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200,  evga 2080 Super, EK waterblock
 980 PRO M.2 1TB ,evga 1000w G3 psu, LG GSYNC 4KK Curved 32 inch, Windows 10 64bit 

EddieH
EVGA Alumni
  • Total Posts : 2016
  • Ribbons : 1
Re: Work in Progress - "Dark Samurai" 2016/12/23 17:00:37 (permalink)
Awesome, Awesome job on the build.  Congratulations are definitely in order!  Can wait to see the future builds to come!  
Cool GTX
EVGA Forum Moderator
Re: Work in Progress - "Dark Samurai" 2016/12/23 17:57:37 (permalink)
Excellent build

I like the green EVGA logo you made, picture in post #34 near the top

ManBearPig
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6130
  • Ribbons : 20
Re: Work in Progress - "Dark Samurai" 2016/12/26 22:37:39 (permalink)

That's amazing looking

Kazuma16
Re: Work in Progress - "Dark Samurai" 2017/01/07 16:44:33 (permalink)
Reapervon
Very well done jo! very amazing!!! definitely one of the best I've ever seen! CONGRATS!!!!! 
Looking forward to your next project!

Thank Von! 
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile