Comcast changes the name of a customer

Author
Grey_Beard
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2232
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 10
2015/01/30 06:47:23 (permalink)
I found this very interesting. It seems that a customer service rep (emphasis on service) changed the name of a customer who tried to cancel their service. What's next, when a customer tries to cancel they offer a discount to stay or something while badgering or pressuring the person to stay? Oh that already happens.

http://www.businessinside...insultiing-name-2015-1

16 Replies Related Threads

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102253
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: Comcast changes the name of a customer 2015/01/30 06:52:14 (permalink)
    Companies have to be careful with this or risk potential lawsuits for defamation. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 23174
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: Comcast changes the name of a customer 2015/01/30 07:17:44 (permalink)
    Look at the bill. I would of liked to be a fly on the wall to actually listen to see if the customer verbally abused the customer rep. My guess is we're not hearing the full story here and the customer was probably one of the nightmare kind. Look how past due the bill is in compared to their monthly amount. This is no random case of name calling. The customer was probably quite a problem. Escalating it to international news shows you just how bad this customer is. He should be glad that was the only thing they called him. Taking bets the customer purposely escalated the issue so they'd get their bill forgiven and free cable. 20 years ago when I did fast food management I'd see people like this every once in awhile who would come in and eat 99% of their food then b!tch in the loudest most obnoxious manner in the middle of the store in an effort to embarrass management into giving them free food and a refund. This is that same type of guy IMHO. The guy is probably a calculating parasite.

If Comcast released a recording of his interaction with customer service my bet is this issue would go away pretty fast.
    post edited by Brad_Hawthorne - 2015/01/30 07:53:01
    joeymir
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 732
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Comcast changes the name of a customer 2015/01/30 09:48:47 (permalink)
    Brad_Hawthorne
    Look at the bill. I would of liked to be a fly on the wall to actually listen to see if the customer verbally abused the customer rep. My guess is we're not hearing the full story here and the customer was probably one of the nightmare kind. Look how past due the bill is in compared to their monthly amount. This is no random case of name calling. The customer was probably quite a problem. Escalating it to international news shows you just how bad this customer is. He should be glad that was the only thing they called him. Taking bets the customer purposely escalated the issue so they'd get their bill forgiven and free cable. 20 years ago when I did fast food management I'd see people like this every once in awhile who would come in and eat 99% of their food then b!tch in the loudest most obnoxious manner in the middle of the store in an effort to embarrass management into giving them free food and a refund. This is that same type of guy IMHO. The guy is probably a calculating parasite.

If Comcast released a recording of his interaction with customer service my bet is this issue would go away pretty fast.

+1 totally agree on this. Really there is so many terrible people in this world who think that paying their bills & working for a living isn't as important as watching the morning soap opera. It's a true phrase "some people want to watch the world burn". Some people just like being unhappy

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master | Ryzen 9 5900X | 32GB Crucial Ballisitx DDR4 3600MHz | MSI Radeon 6900 XT | Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | 2x Crucial MX500 1TB Raid-0 | 2x WD Velociraptors 500GB Raid-0 | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850W | Lian-Li PC-O11

Grey_Beard
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Comcast changes the name of a customer 2015/01/30 09:51:49 (permalink)
    Brad_Hawthorne

I totally agree with you. This seemed that way to me too. I find it interesting though that they tried to offer them a discount to stay on even though they were well behind on their bill. I can also see that call becoming a nightmare. It is better to comp the bill than to release the tape, even if the customer is wrong, in order to gain some positive spin. I have seen the behavior you mentioned at nicer resturaunts than fast food and I always feel embarrassed for the establishment for having to deal with the jaggoff acting out.

Chrome-M-Dragon
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7806
    • Ribbons : 30
    Re: Comcast changes the name of a customer 2015/01/30 10:10:25 (permalink)
    Either way, the world don't work that way. Regardless of how ignorant the customer may have been, keeping things professional is the only option. Unless you REALLY hate the job. I work selling DirecTV now and I think a ton of the PPP calling in are idiots. I don't call em that though... I need my job. But trust me, I agree that there are tons that deserve it...just be the bigger person. Now this idiot is getting freebies because another idiot couldn't temper...his temper.

People are, well, only Human. We know that. The rule of law is borne out in identifying, condemning, and punishing those who violate the standards on which we all agree. This is exactly what we do in america. -James Inhofe

Use any of the codes below for a free hug and a high five! Much love to all you wonderful nerds!
    Associate: 5L1LJB5JQ94H892 Affiliate Code: QRXQKO8ZJS

Chrome-M-Dragon
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Comcast changes the name of a customer 2015/01/30 10:10:25 (permalink)
    Either way, the world don't work that way. Regardless of how ignorant the customer may have been, keeping things professional is the only option. Unless you REALLY hate the job. I work selling DirecTV now and I think a ton of the PPP calling in are idiots. I don't call em that though... I need my job. But trust me, I agree that there are tons that deserve it...just be the bigger person. Now this idiot is getting freebies because another idiot couldn't temper...his temper.

People are, well, only Human. We know that. The rule of law is borne out in identifying, condemning, and punishing those who violate the standards on which we all agree. This is exactly what we do in america. -James Inhofe

Use any of the codes below for a free hug and a high five! Much love to all you wonderful nerds!

Chrome-M-Dragon
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Comcast changes the name of a customer 2015/01/30 10:10:26 (permalink)

joeymir
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 732
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Comcast changes the name of a customer 2015/01/30 13:14:45 (permalink)
    I think the word Justice has lost it's definition in this country lol. Then again I guess 2 wrongs don't make a righthec at this point I am confusing myself. I think I am just trying to say what goes around comes around.
    post edited by j2345912 - 2015/01/30 13:16:08

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master | Ryzen 9 5900X | 32GB Crucial Ballisitx DDR4 3600MHz | MSI Radeon 6900 XT | Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | 2x Crucial MX500 1TB Raid-0 | 2x WD Velociraptors 500GB Raid-0 | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850W | Lian-Li PC-O11

MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14685
    • Ribbons : 38
    Re: Comcast changes the name of a customer 2015/01/30 13:38:09 (permalink)
    It doesn't matter how the customer acted. You don't go changing customer name on mail being sent to them.  If the customer acted rude on the phone the agent can hang up.

Comcast will probably settle this out of court.
    kaninja
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8755
    • Ribbons : 25
    Re: Comcast changes the name of a customer 2015/01/30 13:47:43 (permalink)
    Ha ha, that is awesome! The customer rep was just being honest, and being honest is always the best policy.

Corsair 650D   -  i5 3570K @ 4.6GHz  -  Corsair H80i  -  MSI Z77 M-Power  -  16GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator Platinum
    WD 1TB Caviar Black x2  -  OCZ 120GB Vertex2 SSD  -  Corsair HX620  -  GTX285 SSC  -  Samsung T240  -  DIR-655

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: Comcast changes the name of a customer 2015/01/30 13:57:24 (permalink)
    Maybe it was because the bill was past due?
    Anyway the customer rep should be fired for his/her action.
    post edited by bcavnaugh - 2015/01/30 13:59:54

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

wrinvert
    R.I.P Friend
    • Total Posts : 3751
    • Ribbons : 17
    Re: Comcast changes the name of a customer 2015/01/30 15:51:28 (permalink)
    i'm not saying its right but i did the same thing at a job i had many years ago. some customers/people come in with a chip on their shoulder and have no manors what so ever. i've seen some come in acting ridiculous knowing full well there was nothing wrong just to see if they could get a discount. i'm with brad on this, we are only seeing one side of the story.

kaninja
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Comcast changes the name of a customer 2015/01/30 16:17:08 (permalink)
    The customer is not always right......some times they are a Mr. Allan Hole.

Corsair 650D   -  i5 3570K @ 4.6GHz  -  Corsair H80i  -  MSI Z77 M-Power  -  16GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator Platinum
    WD 1TB Caviar Black x2  -  OCZ 120GB Vertex2 SSD  -  Corsair HX620  -  GTX285 SSC  -  Samsung T240  -  DIR-655

Grey_Beard
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Comcast changes the name of a customer 2015/01/30 17:19:11 (permalink)
    kaninja
    The customer is not always right......some times they are a Mr. Allan Hole.

I guess you'll never work at Disney. Although that may be true, taking the high road is always the best way. Some people will sell their soul to get something for free or at a discount. Not right, but when a company does take the high road, they usually get the upper hand which protects their reputation. Comcast has no good reputation, as they never take the high road. They first try to up-sell to a person who has a large past due balance, then when they react to that negatively, they change the customer's name on the bill. I am not surprised by their employee's action, as it speaks volumes about their reputation. Take a company like EVGA or Newegg. Neither would do this, as they consistently deal with unscrupulous customers, but have a great reputation. They each get constant kudos from doing the right thing regardless of the "right" or "wrong" of the customer and turn bad experiences into good ones.

kaninja
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Comcast changes the name of a customer 2015/01/30 17:33:32 (permalink)
    I understand that. I know the guy was in the wrong for doing that for sure. At the same time I look at what that guy probably deals with every day being in customer service. As a sales rep I have mostly good customers and thank goodness I am removed completely from the retail end of things, but there does come a time when it makes more sense to hang up on a customer or even fire them as a customer than it does to act out against them. Having said that, I bet even after being fired the customer service rep will still be happy with what he did and sleep just fine at night.
    post edited by kaninja - 2015/01/30 17:38:38

fattysc
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1549
    • Ribbons : 15
    Re: Comcast changes the name of a customer 2015/01/30 19:08:30 (permalink)
    Comcast is can lick my you know what. 

They actually tried to get me to rent my own modem that I personally bought from a computer shop. No lie.

Customer rep: Sir we have noticed that we haven't been charging you rental fees for your modem.
    Me: Well no ****? Maybe it is because I bought the damn thing.

That and countless number of times of bad customer service. Trying to get me to buy this service and that service. Hell there internet service sucks too. Speeds are sketchy at best when they do actually work. But, I fear there is nothing I can do. Other then canceling my service. Which isn't an option for me unfortunately. Hopefully my city will be able to build there own internet structure soon.

Specs:
    i7 930 @ 3.6
    Patriot Inferno 60gb SSD
    Spinpoint F3 1tb HDD
    ASUS SaberTooth X58
    EVGA GTX GeForce 760 SC 4gb 
    ANTEC 750 WATT PSU
    KINGSTON HYPER-X 1600mhz 3x4 gb

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile