EVGA

Classified 3 x58 Mobo BioS error - Keyboard Error, Keyboard not Detected.

Author
Skurkitty
  • Total Posts : 82
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2012/07/26 19:59:36 (permalink)
I put in a direct support ticket but I wanted to try the forums as well since I've heard EVGA support is outstanding (why I bought this mobo)
I've run into an interesting issue... I recently built a new computer and it has had a series of issue that came with it, most of which just seem to have been bad luck out of my control. Although this one is something I've never seen before in all my years of using a computer. This issue started 2 weeks after the motherboard was installed.

I use a USB Keyboard (Daskeyboard) which is around... 2 years old or so I want to say. Recently out of the blue, overnight, something happened to my computer. When I turn it on it displayed the error "Keyboard Error, No Keyboard Detected" on the initial BioS startup. I am completely unable to do anything with the keyboard.

I thought maybe the keyboard was dead in the water so I plugged in my old Razer Lycosa USB keyboard and had the same error. I then tried both keyboards in my old computer and the error didn't display.

What I've done to remedy the problem, I was able to plug in an old PS/2 Keyboard and get into the BioS options, I then changed an error option from "Halt on all Errors" to "Halt on all Errors, But Keyboard". I can now use my USB Daskeyboard as the BioS simply bypasses the error. The keyboard turns on during the user account login screen, but will not respond until then.

So my problem is something isn't working right during the initial bootup. I had a tech guy come over to look at the computer, he had reset the CMOS, and reset the BioS by unplugging the power supply. Once he did that the error went away, that was 3 days ago, now I'm noticing the same thing happening again.

Everything works fine once the computer passes the bootup process and I can simply use an old PS/2 keyboard to enter the BioS should I have to... the only annoyance is if my power goes out and the computer asks if I want to start windows normally I can't hit enter to go past that, I have to wait the 45 seconds for it to default to it and proceed.

I guess my major concern is if there is something wrong with the motherboard and if I have to worry about it dying in the future over this error. I've been through technical hell building this computer so things like this just leave me concerned even though I may not have a reason to be.

Additional Note - All USB settings are enabled in the BioS. Double checked it to make sure about this. The only thing I had to change was the "Halt on all Errors, But Keyboard" so that I wouldn't get the error and be stuck in place.

Second Note - I also have a message that pops up during bootup as well that says "No Physical Disk Detected!". I haven't noticed this effecting my computer in any way shape or form and people I've spoken to about it say that all this message is doing is slowing down my bootup process by like 2 seconds. That it's nothing I should worry about, if anyone thinks otherwise or knows how to remove the message please let me know.

Thank you for your time and help. If anything else is needed please let me know, I really want to figure this out!
Please remember and note that I did not build my computer, I hired a tech to do it for me... I don't know the first thing about computers.

Oh and specs!
Motherboard -   EVGA 141-GT-E770-A1 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard 

Processor -   Intel Core i7-990X Extreme Edition Gulftown 3.46GHz LGA 1366 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor

Graphics -   EVGA SuperClocked 015-P3-1582-AR GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Memory -  CORSAIR Vengeance 12GB (3 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model

Power Supply -   COOLER MASTER Silent Pro RSA00-AMBAJ3-US 1000W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular

Hard drive -   Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Case -  NZXT Phantom PHAN-001RD Red White Finish w/Red Trim Steel / Plastic Enthusiast ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Disk Reader -   LG Black 12X Super Multi Blue with 3D Playback & M-DISC Support SATA WH12LS39 LightScribe Support - OEM

OS -   Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

post edited by Skurkitty - 2012/07/26 20:11:13

10 Replies Related Threads

lcd1860nx
    • Total Posts : 55
    Re:Classified 3 x58 Mobo BioS error - Keyboard Error, Keyboard not Detected. 2012/07/27 10:41:27 (permalink)
    I set my motherboard (759) to halt on "no errors". Will things work if you go to the load default settings in bios and then change the command to halt on "no errors"? That may work. Have you gone up to bios 83? One of the benefits is improved CPU support which may be some of the problem.
    Also, you can visit the Intel website, support and have it detect and then install any drivers you may be missing.
    Do you have the keyboard installed in the USB 2 or USB 3 jacks? Try the USB 2 if you are using the blue USB 3 jacks. The black USB jacks are the USB 2 jacks. The controller for the USB 2 is intel and the controller for USB 3 is NEC.
    P.S. ignore the missing disk notice. It is complicated.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/default.aspx?lang=eng

http://www.evga.com/support/download/showdlinfo.aspx?id=724&type=N&acctype=BIOS&accversion=83&part_number=141-GT-E770

i7 920
    EVGA x58 SLI Classified 759
    Gigabyte HD5870SO
    Antec Signature 850
    6x2GB Mushkin HP3-12800
    WD RE4-GP 2TB times two  
    Soundblaster Fatality Titanium 
    Vista Ultimate 64 SP2
    Skurkitty
    Re:Classified 3 x58 Mobo BioS error - Keyboard Error, Keyboard not Detected. 2012/07/27 11:30:33 (permalink)
    lcd1860nx

I set my motherboard (759) to halt on "no errors". Will things work if you go to the load default settings in bios and then change the command to halt on "no errors"? That may work. Have you gone up to bios 83? One of the benefits is improved CPU support which may be some of the problem.
    Also, you can visit the Intel website, support and have it detect and then install any drivers you may be missing.
    Do you have the keyboard installed in the USB 2 or USB 3 jacks? Try the USB 2 if you are using the blue USB 3 jacks. The black USB jacks are the USB 2 jacks. The controller for the USB 2 is intel and the controller for USB 3 is NEC.
    P.S. ignore the missing disk notice. It is complicated.

To answer these questions in order.
    - I currently have the BioS set up to "Halt on Errors, Except Keyboard". This removes the "Keyboard Error, No Keyboard Detected" error from displaying on bootup, but my USB keyboard is 100% useless until after the bootup phase. So if I wish to enter the BioS I have to plugin an old PS/2 keyboard to do so. In addition if my power goes out or something and the computer asks if I wish to start windows normally, I can't hit enter so I have to wait the 45+ seconds for it to default accept.
    - No I haven't done any BioS updates. I know nothing about computers and I actually fear if I attempt to mess with the BioS that I will mess it up greatly, even with a guide. I'm going to be honest when I say I don't even directly know what CPU refers to... I'm guessing processor but I really don't know.
    Edit - Called and talked to the Tech who built my computer, said he would come by monday or tuesday to update the BioS for me to see if it fixes the problem. Will he have to install both the 82 and 83 update? or just the 83?
    - The keyboard is currently plugged into the USB 3.0 slots. When the computer tech came over last week to try to fix this issue he had tried putting them in the USB 2.0 slots and it was still happening. I will however try this again just to double check.
    EDIT - I tried plugging the keyboard into a USB 2.0 slot with no success, same issue.
    -I figured the missing disk notice was worth more trouble than good so I never got worked up about it, happy to know that it actually is nothing to worry about.

My main concern overall is just this, I don't really mind the keyboard not working on bootup. I've gone through hell and back with this computer build. I've gone through 3 boards, 2 cases, missing parts, audio crackle...etc etc. In the end I really just don't want to have to RMA it and wait weeks for a replacement. I need my computer for work and school as well as plain old enjoyment... I just don't want to board to randomly die on me over this.

Also as far as the Intel site.
    The driver utility update came up with all this.

Product Detected NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 Current Driver Installed 8.17.13.142 This device is unknown or unsupported. Please contact the manufacturer for possible updates.

Product Detected                                       Intel 6, 5, 4, 3, 900, Series Chipsets     Current Version Installed                            9.1.1.1025
    This version is valid.

Product Detected NVIDIA High Definition Audio Current Driver Installed 1.2.24.0 This device is unknown or unsupported. Please contact the manufacturer for possible updates.  

Product Detected Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller #2 Current Driver Installed 7.3.522.2009 This device is unknown or unsupported. Please contact the manufacturer for possible updates.

Product Detected Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller #2 Current Driver Installed 7.3.522.2009 This device is unknown or unsupported. Please contact the manufacturer for possible updates.

Product Detected                          Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
    Current Driver Installed                 7.3.522.2009               
    This device is unknown or unsupported. Please contact the manufacturer for possible updates.  

So I don't know what good that did. >_>

post edited by Skurkitty - 2012/07/27 12:05:06
    hp2710m
    • Total Posts : 7
    Re:Classified 3 x58 Mobo BioS error - Keyboard Error, Keyboard not Detected. 2012/07/28 04:07:45 (permalink)
    It looks like the Intel drivers are fine.

From your first post it looks like both usb keyboards will work once you get into windows. Do they work with both USB 2 and USB 3? Using the motherboard connections on the back of the computer straight from the motherboard (called the in/out panel) and also the computer case?
    Is your mouse usb connected and does that work okay? So in Windows the USB is working just fine? and you have done windows update while all the usb devices are installed?

It may benefit from loading defaults, cycling then setting "Halt on No Errors". Maybe it is not detecting the keyboard error as a keyboard error but as a different error. I have kept my setting on "Halt on No Errors" without any problems.

Do you have a plain vanilla usb keyboard? They type that usually comes for free with a computer. Both of the keyboards you mention are kind of fancy and the mobo may not be just seeing a keyboard. There may have been some update two weeks ago that adds some capabilities to the two usb keyboards you have.

I would suggest going into bios with your PS2 keyboard, navigating to "load defaults", hit enter and then navigate to enable or yes (whatever it says), hit esc and then exit and save. then let windows start up and then shut it down. then start it up, go into bios and navigate to "Standard CMOS features", hit enter and navigate to "Halt on" and then go navigate to "No Errors", hit esc and then go to "Save and exit setup".

Also are all of these usb devices set up directly to the i/o panel of the motherboard and not to the computer case usb hookups? Sometimes the computer case gets hooked up incorrectly (1394, etc) Also, remove any USB extension cables from the keyboard if you have any so the only cable is the one that is manufactured into the keyboard(s).

Also, sometimes just unplugging the power cable from the wall overnight fixes mysterious apparitions.
    post edited by hp2710m - 2012/07/28 04:49:31
    Skurkitty
    Re:Classified 3 x58 Mobo BioS error - Keyboard Error, Keyboard not Detected. 2012/07/28 12:52:59 (permalink)
    Yes both keyboards work when I get into windows.

They work in both USB 2.0 and 3.0 when I get to windows.

The mouse works fine when I get to windows as well (I'm using a Razer Deathadder). Mouse never really factors into BioS so I can't tell if it turns on during BioS or not.

Yes there have been windows updates.

Default CMOS and BioS settings have been tried and I currently have "Halt on All Error, Except Keyboard" selected in the standard CMOS settings.

I don't have a plain vanilla USB keyboard, I've been having my computers built for years... so I never got anything extra with them. The only reason I still even have a PS/2 keyboard is from old Dell prebuilt computers from around 10+ years ago.

As far as the CMOS, I answer that about. The setting is currently on "Halt on All Errors, Except Keyboard".

I'm almost certain the USB devices are connected into the motherboard, I don't see any extras around... and from watching the tech build the computer it didn't look like any extra sockets were installed. So yes I'm almost positive they're directly in the motherboard.

There are no extension cables hooked up, my setup is very close together.

It's funny you talk about the power cable, yesterday I decided I wanted to double check the keyboards on my old computer, so I completely unplugged the new computer and put it to the side and plugged in the old one. Everything worked fine so I re-hooked up the new one and turned it on. Although this time instead I plugged the USB keyboard into the USB 2.0 Slots (they were previously in the 3.0 slots) in the north most part of the motherboard (right next to the PS/2 slot) and turned it on. My keyboard was able to navigate the BioS. This is why I think something is going funky with my motherboard and it isn't actually faulty.  ...Because it works sometimes, last time when the tech reset the CMOS and what not it worked for 3 days, then "broke" again, now yet again it is working for the past 24 hours (I've tested in about 6 or so times). 

So I'm still looking for ideas on what exactly is going on considering sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, I don't believe the motherboard is faulty otherwise I don't think the USB keyboard would EVER work, even in windows while bypassing the BioS errors. I have my computer tech coming by on Tuesday to update the BioS with the 82 and 83 update... so maybe that'll do something more.
    Crusheddream
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1985
    • Ribbons : 12
    Re:Classified 3 x58 Mobo BioS error - Keyboard Error, Keyboard not Detected. 2012/07/28 16:02:25 (permalink)
    Just out of curiousity did you check your BIOS USB settings? make sure everything is enable and set to high speed?  If the keyboard works in windows im assuming is a BIOS issue.  try reflashing? also the classified3 actually has Dual BIOS chips though its not advertise towards the bottom of the board is a jumper moving it over to the other pins enables the second BIOS try those as they are most likely the factory BIOS see if the Keyboard works then.  if so i would make a disk or bootable USB with the latest BIOS on it and reflash the primary BIOS sounds as though something is corrupted.

Skurkitty
    Re:Classified 3 x58 Mobo BioS error - Keyboard Error, Keyboard not Detected. 2012/07/28 17:22:40 (permalink)
    Crusheddream
     Just out of curiousity did you check your BIOS USB settings? make sure everything is enable and set to high speed?  If the keyboard works in windows im assuming is a BIOS issue.  try reflashing? also the classified3 actually has Dual BIOS chips though its not advertise towards the bottom of the board is a jumper moving it over to the other pins enables the second BIOS try those as they are most likely the factory BIOS see if the Keyboard works then.  if so i would make a disk or bootable USB with the latest BIOS on it and reflash the primary BIOS sounds as though something is corrupted.

Yes I have checked the BioS USB settings, everything is enabled and it is set to High Speed. I'm figuring it's a BioS issue as well since yes the keyboard works completely fine in windows. I don't really understand what reflashing is... again I know nothing about computers, which is why I hire a Tech to build them and take care of them. You say make a bootable USB with the latest BioS on it and reflash the primary BioS... would that just involve updating the BioS to the latest versions (82 and 83)? I'll be showing this thread to the tech when he comes over on monday or tuesday so he'll understand it all better I'm sure.

Also would I need a special USB or can I just use any normal blank USB for the updates?

Thank you guys for being so active in answering me!
    Crusheddream
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1985
    • Ribbons : 12
    Re:Classified 3 x58 Mobo BioS error - Keyboard Error, Keyboard not Detected. 2012/07/29 01:37:25 (permalink)
    Yes i would update to the latest BIOS 83.  As for USB no need for a special USB drive any one will do.  Theres a link here in the forums somewhere how to make a bootable USB drive.  As for hiring a tech bleh.  Youtube is your friend :).  And we (the evga community) are here for free :).  not to mention since its a evga motherboard you can always call tech support.
    Also something to remember some of the classified3's have a USB problem where if you have too many devices plugged in it will "drop" a device.  the solution is to increase the ICH Vcore to 1.15 -1.2v .  I have a G510 keyboard G9x mouse Xbox 360 controller Roccat Kave headset all plugged in at boot and if i dont have the ICH set to 1.15 or higher my keyboard acts funky drops etc.  just something to check. 

Also i read your keyboard is 2 years old?  Have you tried another USB keyboard?  like a plain USB keyboard with no LEDs or special functions?  I only say this because my G11 i had prior to the G510 the cord developed a short and sometimes wouldnt work until i got into windows not saying its the keyboard just something to try. 
    post edited by Crusheddream - 2012/07/29 01:43:07

Skurkitty
    Re:Classified 3 x58 Mobo BioS error - Keyboard Error, Keyboard not Detected. 2012/07/29 12:27:20 (permalink)
    So all that has to be done is update #83? Update #82 can be ignored? With hire the tech, it just makes me feel more comfortable, I've tried doing things on my own before and have had bad results.

As for having a large number of USB's plugged in...from what I can tell there are 8 to 10 USB slots on this board, 2 of which are USB 3.0 slots, others are USB 2.0 slots. I'm only using 3 slots in total, two for my keyboard and one for my mouse.

Yes the keyboard is old, the only other USB keyboard I have available is even older so I don't really have a new one to test... but like I said I've tested both keyboards on my old computer and there is no problems that occur.

I also have no idea at all what you're talking about when you mention a ICH Vcore 1.15.

PS - The Daskeyboard is a VERY plain (pricey) keyboard. It's a simply mechanical keyboard with no extra buttons or LED screens. The only lights on it are for the Num/Cap/and Scroll Lock. Then there are 2 USB ports on the side that I've never used.

I don't really know though, this motherboard seems to have a mind of it's own, on Friday I had unplugged everything from the computer and tested the keyboard on my old computer again, when I plugged everything back into the new computer I put the keyboard into the two USB 2.0 slots up near the PS/2 port and since then the keyboard has been functioning on bootup... so it almost feels like it's the USB 3.0 slots or something. But at the same time when the tech was here on the 19th he reset the CMOS and it worked for around 3 days then broke again... so we will see I guess.

So sketchy.
    lcd1860nx
    • Total Posts : 55
    Re:Classified 3 x58 Mobo BioS error - Keyboard Error, Keyboard not Detected. 2012/07/29 18:48:20 (permalink)
    The Daskeyboard has 2 USB plugs on it so it really is also a USB hub in addition to being a keyboard. (unless it has a separate usb plug for the usb jacks like my corsair keyboard does.) I am all in favor of going into bios and changing the setting to "Halt On No Errors". Forget the "Halt on all errors except keyboard" setting. 
    I have never had a problem with the Halt on No Errors setting. So what if it boots?  I do not see any problem with "Not Halting". Though I am sure there is a possible one lurking out there.
    It may be that since Intel is handling the USB 2 devices and the Daskeyboard might have a USB controller that does not agree with it such that it will not boot. Conceivably, it is seeing a USB problem and not a keyboard problem with the keyboard.

How about the computer case USB jacks? Those connectors plug into the keyboard and should also work. If you do not use "Firewire" then unplug the 1394 jacks from the computer case. They have the same number of pins and also the IDENTICAL blank pin so it is easy to plug a computer case 1394 and USB connector into the wrong one. One of these connectors has 12 volts and the other has none! They can mess up your USB and firewire connections and you would never know why. Almost all of the other connectors will not connect if you try to make an incorrect connection but not the 1394 (firewire) and USB 2.

i7 920
    EVGA x58 SLI Classified 759
    Gigabyte HD5870SO
    Antec Signature 850
    6x2GB Mushkin HP3-12800
    WD RE4-GP 2TB times two  
    Soundblaster Fatality Titanium 
    Vista Ultimate 64 SP2
    Skurkitty
    Re:Classified 3 x58 Mobo BioS error - Keyboard Error, Keyboard not Detected. 2012/07/29 20:42:04 (permalink)
    lcd1860nx

The Daskeyboard has 2 USB plugs on it so it really is also a USB hub in addition to being a keyboard. (unless it has a separate usb plug for the usb jacks like my corsair keyboard does.) I am all in favor of going into bios and changing the setting to "Halt On No Errors". Forget the "Halt on all errors except keyboard" setting. 
    I have never had a problem with the Halt on No Errors setting. So what if it boots?  I do not see any problem with "Not Halting". Though I am sure there is a possible one lurking out there.
    It may be that since Intel is handling the USB 2 devices and the Daskeyboard might have a USB controller that does not agree with it such that it will not boot. Conceivably, it is seeing a USB problem and not a keyboard problem with the keyboard.

How about the computer case USB jacks? Those connectors plug into the keyboard and should also work. If you do not use "Firewire" then unplug the 1394 jacks from the computer case. They have the same number of pins and also the IDENTICAL blank pin so it is easy to plug a computer case 1394 and USB connector into the wrong one. One of these connectors has 12 volts and the other has none! They can mess up your USB and firewire connections and you would never know why. Almost all of the other connectors will not connect if you try to make an incorrect connection but not the 1394 (firewire) and USB 2.

Yes it does have 2 extra USB hubs on the keyboard, you are correct there. I have never used them however... I actually never even really noticed they were there, and or I forgot about them until just recently.
    As far as Halting on No errors... I mean I feel like it's the same thing as halting on all errors except keyboard, considering I'm only having an issue with my keyboard. I could overall just shrug this issue off considering in the 4 years I had with my old computer I never ONCE entered the BioS... so not being able to use a keyboard in bootup isn't a massive deal. The only annoyance is if my power goes out and I have to select the setting to start windows normally, because you know... then I can't.

I don't believe I'm using the computer case USB jacks, everything is plugged directly into the motherboard... which is only my Keyboard / Mouse / Speakers / Internet Ethernet / Monitor (which I think is in the graphics card anyways). I don't use an external hard drive or anything so the amount of things being plugged in is very small. 

I don't even know what "Fireware" is... nor do I understand the 1394 jacks etc etc. This is why I hire a tech for everything. When I said I didn't know much of anything. I meant it.

Note - I said this in a previous post, but on Friday I unplugged everything from the computer... power supply cord and all USB devices etc etc. At that point the keyboard was in both USB 3.0 Slots, when I plugged everything back in I put them in the USB 2.0 Slots on the north most part of the motherboard... since then the Keyboard has been working during bootup. But it was working once before as well then the error game back... so I'm not assuming it's gone for good.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile