Author
awalleyeguy
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3444
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 12
2015/04/15 22:01:37 (permalink)
http://www.hg.org/article.asp?id=29646

Research has shown the top three causes of semi-truck accident. Some of the major causes of truck and semi-truck accidents include:

• Driver tiredness and fatigue
• Poor or faulty maintenance practices
• Distracted driving
• Technical malfunction
• Brake failure or out of service brakes
• Tire blowouts
• Override accidents
• Runaway trailers
• Overloaded trailers/ semi-trucks
• Jack-knifing
• Driver error
• Violation of the Motor Carrier Safety Regulations

Of the above causes, the three top reasons are the causes of trucks and semi-trucks accidents very often than others. These are:

• Driver tiredness and fatigue: It is always a very stressful job driving a semi-truck and a common practice to pay drivers by the mile, which in essence means that the more distance a driver travels, the higher the paycheck. Great. But on the downside, this sometimes pushes the drivers to stay behind the wheel far longer than safe. Commercial drivers tend to set and meet very unreasonable deadlines, which eventually lead to tiredness, fatigue, and being sleeping while driving and the loss of concentration can be deadly.

19 Replies Related Threads

XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: Causes of Truck and Semi-Truck Accidents 2015/04/15 22:08:27 (permalink)

Tiredness and fatigue is the first thing I think of when I hear about those accidents.
    post edited by XrayMan - 2015/04/15 22:18:06

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    kram36
    The Destroyer
    • Total Posts : 21477
    • Ribbons : 72
    Re: Causes of Truck and Semi-Truck Accidents 2015/04/15 23:04:22 (permalink)
    awalleyeguy
    http://www.hg.org/article.asp?id=29646

Seriously, you use an Law firm site for your information?

How about we get the causes from a Government study?

http://ai.fmcsa.dot.gov/ltccs/default.asphttp://i58.tinypic.com/2a8npqf.jpg

Click on the Report to Congress link. Driver fatigue is 4th from the bottom when the crash factor is do to the driver.

At least this Law Firm tells some truth. Pretty shady link you used.

http://www.cssfirm.com/20...uses-of-truck-crashes/

1. Surprisingly, driver fatigue was not as common as expected. Instead, drug use was the most common cause of accident. In 26% of the crashes, prescription drugs or illicit drugs affected the truck driver’s reaction time.
    2. Speeding was also a common cause of large truck crashes, found in 23% of accidents. The force of impact from an 80,000-pound truck is made more deadly with each mile of increased speed.
    3. Many truck drivers are unfamiliar with the areas they travel. For this reason, it is not surprising that 22% of the accidents involved a driver not familiar with the roads he or she was traveling.
    4. Prescription and illicit drugs are not the only drug-related problems for trucking accidents. In 18% of the crashes, over-the-counter medications contributed to the accident.
    5. Truck drivers are trained on checking blind spots and carefully checking all sides of the vehicle before making turns or other maneuvers. Still, many forget their training. In 14% of the accidents, at least one cause was the driver’s failure to check blind spots properly.
    6. What was once assumed the most common cause of large truck accidents, driver fatigue, was present in 13% of the accidents studied. While not as common as expected, driver fatigue still happens often and causes many accidents.
    7. Drivers often forget simple safety measures such as using a signal before turning. In 9% of the accidents studied, the driver engaged in some illegal maneuver, like failing to use a turn signal.
    8. Distracted driving can also be a problem for truck drivers. In the study, 8% of the crashes involved drivers whose attention was taken away from the road by events outside the truck. Common distractions include roadwork or accidents.
    9. Although drivers often try to evade crashes, big rigs are difficult to maneuver. Drivers who underestimated the level of evasive action needed contributed to 7% of the accidents.
    10. Road rage is not a problem limited to car drivers. Aggressive driving contributed to 7% of the accidents in the study. Because of the size and bulk of large trucks, drivers who take part in such behavior cause deadly crashes.

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102291
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: Causes of Truck and Semi-Truck Accidents 2015/04/15 23:31:25 (permalink)
    In Europe the laws regarding truck drivers and rest (sleep) are very strict and the fines are very high if violated.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

awalleyeguy
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Causes of Truck and Semi-Truck Accidents 2015/04/15 23:33:15 (permalink)
     Drug use? I suppose non of that is to overcome fatigue. Everyone should also realize idiots in cars is also a factor. Also driving a truck is a difficult job.
    I do not currently drive a truck, but I do still drive a lot for work (60K+ a year just for work) and IMO driving makes you tired. 
    kram36
    The Destroyer
    Re: Causes of Truck and Semi-Truck Accidents 2015/04/15 23:43:40 (permalink)
    rjohnson11
    In Europe the laws regarding truck drivers and rest (sleep) are very strict and the fines are very high if violated.

The US have very strict laws on hours for drivers too. The fines are very high and are given to both the driver and the company he is working for.
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Causes of Truck and Semi-Truck Accidents 2015/04/16 06:36:09 (permalink)
    kram, you know your stuff when it comes to commercial driving.

I had one accident myself. Fortunately it was very minor; but could have been major in different circumstances. Mine was due to out of adjustment brakes.

Against the popular belief of this forum, in the USA, there is little incentive for a driver to lie on their log books. Why? No driver wants to deal with the stress and fatigue in the long term. There are a bazillion driving positions available at various companies and if your employer pushes you to drive longer and faster, you just quit and go work somewhere else. Additionally, it is illegal to exceed hours of service rules and therefore most employers wouldn't want to get caught even attempting to push their drivers into doing something wrong. Lawsuit, fines, etc.

USA driver hours of service rules summary:
    - at least 30 minute break in 8 hour period. additional tire check stops (2 hours / 100 miles) required for hazmat vehicles offer a little extra get out and move time.
    - must have 10 consecutive hours off duty before driving
    - can only drive 11 hours a day
    - no driving after 14 hours of coming on duty (in case some hours were on duty not driving)
    - can only drive 60 hours in 7 days or 70 hours in 8 days
    - must have 34 consecutive hours off duty to reset drive time for the 60/7 or 70/8 above
    - 34 hour reset must inclue two periods of time of 1-5 am (no staying up all night and sleeping all day)
    - 34 hour reset can only be applied once a week (even if you had multiple otherwise qualifying 34 hour resets in a week)

Also, weigh stations track trucks very efficiently. They can tell pretty accurately how long you have been driving and how fast you have been driving just by your times in and out of weigh stations. Trucks have transponders in them with unique identification codes to make automated surveilance easy for weigh station officers.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2015/04/16 06:59:01
    zildjian75
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1261
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Causes of Truck and Semi-Truck Accidents 2015/04/16 07:00:47 (permalink)
    As someone who has logged about 200,000km in Euro Truck Sim 2 (which makes me a master tucker)...  I agree that fatigue can definitely become a problem...  I quit using brakes and just run stuff over when I'm tired.  And if cars are in my way, I deem them dead, and just run them over.  Stay out of my way!!!

"The wise know their weakness too well to assume infallibility; and he who knows most, knows best how little he knows."   Thomas Jefferson

RIG#1 (Home) - i7 4790k @ 4.4ghz w/ CM V8 GTS - EVGA Z97 Classified - Win10 64bit - Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2x8GB) @ 2133mhz - 2 x EVGA GTX 980SC in SLI - Corsair AX850 - 250GB Samsung Evo (main) - 500GB Samsung Evo (games) - 1TB WD Black (misc) - Aerocool Strike-X (Cheesy... But effective!)

kaninja
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8755
    • Ribbons : 25
    Re: Causes of Truck and Semi-Truck Accidents 2015/04/16 08:28:09 (permalink)
    kram36
    rjohnson11

The US have very strict laws on hours for drivers too. The fines are very high and are given to both the driver and the company he is working for.

Yes.....but it still happens all the time. Regulations or not. That is like saying there are laws in place that make it illegal to kill someone, or to litter, or to speed.

A very common mantra:

"Show the company what they want to see and don't get caught by the DOT".

There are some shady high pressure carriers, some good carriers that know their drivers take creative measures when it comes to log books and look the other way.

Obviously as we move to total GPS tracking "cooking the books" will become a thing of the past.....but there will still be some way to get around it if the carrier is into that kind of crookedness.

Corsair 650D   -  i5 3570K @ 4.6GHz  -  Corsair H80i  -  MSI Z77 M-Power  -  16GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator Platinum
    WD 1TB Caviar Black x2  -  OCZ 120GB Vertex2 SSD  -  Corsair HX620  -  GTX285 SSC  -  Samsung T240  -  DIR-655

awalleyeguy
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Causes of Truck and Semi-Truck Accidents 2015/04/16 09:09:14 (permalink)
     My guess is that GPS tracking is the reason the fatalities from truck accidents has not risen in proportion to the increased number of trucks. Not as many sleepy drivers.
    kram36
    The Destroyer
    Re: Causes of Truck and Semi-Truck Accidents 2015/04/16 11:13:22 (permalink)

kaninja
    kram36
    rjohnson11

Yes.....but it still happens all the time. Regulations or not. That is like saying there are laws in place that make it illegal to kill someone, or to litter, or to speed.

A very common mantra:

"Show the company what they want to see and don't get caught by the DOT".

There are some shady high pressure carriers, some good carriers that know their drivers take creative measures when it comes to log books and look the other way.

Obviously as we move to total GPS tracking "cooking the books" will become a thing of the past.....but there will still be some way to get around it if the carrier is into that kind of crookedness.

I'm not saying drivers don't break the rules. Like ty_ger07 said, you have options to get away from a high pressure company, lots of them. I could have went into Feeders (big rigs) at UPS, but that just wasn't my thing. UPS is known to have the best CDL training classes in the United States, but even with 28 years service I would have been low seniority in Feeders and would be either stuck to knight driving or parking trailers. Neither appealed to me as I'm to used to moving my body all the time, nor does driving one of those heavy vehicles with all the idiots on the road. People just don't realize these trucks don't stop quickly, pull right over in front of them, pull out right in front of them, all kinds of stupid stuff happens.

Feeders drivers kept telling me, come back to Feeders it's so much more lax there and easier on the body. The going over the DOT hours will not happen with a UPS feeder driver. If for some reason the driver might go over, they are instructed to get off the road, get off the clock, UPS will send another driver to finish the run.
    stalinx20
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4977
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Causes of Truck and Semi-Truck Accidents 2015/05/01 12:28:41 (permalink)
    The one I like is when DOT turns their back on a USPS truck. If they're called out on a USPS truck for various reasons, the DOT officer will  lose their job if they decide to pull over the USPS truck. USPS is owned by the governement and it's interfering with important mail. Yes, it's very corrupt.
    post edited by stalinx20 - 2015/05/01 12:41:11

EVGA X79 Dark
    2080 Black edition
    EVGA 1000 gold PSU (Gold)
    4820K CPU
    16x G-skill
    evilmustang66
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1598
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: Causes of Truck and Semi-Truck Accidents 2015/05/01 20:59:14 (permalink)
    my opinion idiots in cars who travel to close oor try to get in front, pass the trucks that are driving the speed limit my dads a otr driver
    example car crossed his path when he was breaking and took away his safe distance now he has to fix his front bumper ,no ticket on him due to witnesses ,but he says tiredness is the cause and inexperienced drivers is number 2
    example again another trucker backed into is truck while parked at a loading dock

http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=81289  

z97 evga z97 classy 32gb ddr3 corsair evga g2 1300 psu 1tb ssd etc x2 titan x 3sli with 980 hybrid coolers lian li pc desk

BF3PRO
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3797
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: Causes of Truck and Semi-Truck Accidents 2015/05/02 08:31:27 (permalink)
    evilmustang66
    my opinion idiots in cars who travel to close oor try to get in front, pass the trucks that are driving the speed limit my dads a otr driver
    example car crossed his path when he was breaking and took away his safe distance now he has to fix his front bumper ,no ticket on him due to witnesses ,but he says tiredness is the cause and inexperienced drivers is number 2
    example again another trucker backed into is truck while parked at a loading dock
    As long as the driver doesn't hurt anyone it's not a big deal... You can't blame other drivers for taking his safe distance away, he should know as a veteran driver how people drive... Property damage was caused and the driver of the car should have to pay for damages... Other than that, no other damage was caused, right?
    post edited by BF3PRO - 2015/05/02 08:34:28

My Affiliate Code: OEESSSDNZV

awalleyeguy
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Causes of Truck and Semi-Truck Accidents 2015/05/02 21:33:28 (permalink)
    No question idiots in cars cause a lot of problems.
    evilmustang66
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1598
    Re: Causes of Truck and Semi-Truck Accidents 2015/05/03 20:28:41 (permalink)
    BF3PRO
    evilmustang66
    As long as the driver doesn't hurt anyone it's not a big deal... You can't blame other drivers for taking his safe distance away, he should know as a veteran driver how people drive... Property damage was caused and the driver of the car should have to pay for damages... Other than that, no other damage was caused, right?

his front bumper destroyed half of if bent and cut off 1/4 of it yes he knows he was trying to keep distance as for the van I don't know how much was done I do know the officer said it was the van fault. bumper will be fixed out of pocket by him dad boss is dealing with insurance company

http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=81289  

z97 evga z97 classy 32gb ddr3 corsair evga g2 1300 psu 1tb ssd etc x2 titan x 3sli with 980 hybrid coolers lian li pc desk

Max killz
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3746
    Re: Causes of Truck and Semi-Truck Accidents 2015/05/05 20:56:55 (permalink)
    I have been a driver for a while now, been a CDL instructor for a few months, you wouldn't believe how many drivers don't even do their pretrip/post trip inspection, only takes about 10 minutes.

whenever i get tired i just stop, drink some coffee or shut down for the day. I use e logs to keep track of everything. Just bought a 2016 freightliner cascadia evolution, gets over 9mpg average with ~44klbs in the box

also they recently changed the 34 hour restart to just has to be 34 consecutive hours and can be taken at any time.

in other news from what i have seen i seem to be the only trucker with a 5960x sli gtx980 build with a 4k monitor in their truck :P

I was made a cannibal to fix problems like you

Grey_Beard
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2233
    • Ribbons : 10
    Re: Causes of Truck and Semi-Truck Accidents 2015/05/06 10:42:10 (permalink)
    Max killz
    I have been a driver for a while now, been a CDL instructor for a few months, you wouldn't believe how many drivers don't even do their pretrip/post trip inspection, only takes about 10 minutes.

whenever i get tired i just stop, drink some coffee or shut down for the day. I use e logs to keep track of everything. Just bought a 2016 freightliner cascadia evolution, gets over 9mpg average with ~44klbs in the box

also they recently changed the 34 hour restart to just has to be 34 consecutive hours and can be taken at any time.

in other news from what i have seen i seem to be the only trucker with a 5960x sli gtx980 build with a 4k monitor in their truck :P

I just hope you are not playing transportation simulation games. LOL!

It also seems that many do not understand that they are in control of a multi-ton machine, as the safety advances have given them the security to do as they wish. No one seems to respect the laws of physics. We are often a society that lacks respect for one another, let alone the rules of nature. Stupid is as stupid does.

stalinx20
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Causes of Truck and Semi-Truck Accidents 2015/05/07 05:27:37 (permalink)
    evilmustang66

This ^. Completely this. this is normally the #1 reason which causes accidents, and causes alot of jack-knifes, tards in general.

EVGA X79 Dark
    2080 Black edition
    4820K CPU
    16x G-skill
    stalinx20
    CLASSIFIED Member
    Re: Causes of Truck and Semi-Truck Accidents 2015/05/07 05:30:48 (permalink)
    Max killz

They're about to change that again. They post-poned the  2 day '1am-5am' break requirement within the 34 hour reset, and they will start it again this summer, i think (I'm thinking summer because i'm not exactly sure when it will pick back up again, but it will happen). They post-poned it to test "fatigue" variation.
    So if you drive, be ready for this to come back. I know, it was annoying for my guys.
    post edited by stalinx20 - 2015/05/07 05:32:38

EVGA X79 Dark
    2080 Black edition
    4820K CPU
    16x G-skill
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile