EVGA

Can 'dirty' poorly filtered power cause keyboard issues?

Author
Zuhl3156
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 13061
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 34
2016/07/24 08:06:00 (permalink)
I am having serious issues with my Corsair K70 typing double-characters. Mostly the letters 'L', 'M' and 'E' are affected. I don't remember having these issues before upgrading to this SuperNOVA 1300 G2. Is it a coincidence that mmy keyboard just decided to die at the same timme or can poorly filtered power cause issues with the keyboard's character generator chip? I can open Notepad and only the first letter typed will give me multiples after waiting a few seconds. After that everything is good for a whole page. It seems like a charge is building up and giving me a double shot for these letters. The 'E' I can understand wearing out but I rarely use the Ms or Ls when gaming. Any ideas? I am ditching this K70 in favor of a Cougar mechanical keyboard after I get my disability check on the 3rd. Until then you'll just have to decipher my posts because I am just plain sick and tired of having to constantly edit my posts.
Cougar keyboard I have in mind if someone can give me some feedback on whether this is a mistake or not: https://www.amazon.com/Cougar-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard-AttackX3-4IS/dp/B01938BWZG?

15 Replies Related Threads

Dukman
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1478
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: Can 'dirty' poorly filtered power cause keyboard issues? 2016/07/24 08:19:22 (permalink)
    I honestly don't see how that would affect it.   Im currently running a EVGA 1300G2 as well and it's had every single capacitor and ferrite removed.  

I think you've got another wonky keyboard. 

Heatware

MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 14686
    • Ribbons : 38
    Re: Can 'dirty' poorly filtered power cause keyboard issues? 2016/07/24 08:30:14 (permalink)
    Zuhl3156
    I am having serious issues with my Corsair K70 typing double-characters. Mostly the letters 'L', 'M' and 'E' are affected. I don't remember having these issues before upgrading to this SuperNOVA 1300 G2. Is it a coincidence that mmy keyboard just decided to die at the same timme or can poorly filtered power cause issues with the keyboard's character generator chip? I can open Notepad and only the first letter typed will give me multiples after waiting a few seconds. After that everything is good for a whole page. It seems like a charge is building up and giving me a double shot for these letters. The 'E' I can understand wearing out but I rarely use the Ms or Ls when gaming. Any ideas? I am ditching this K70 in favor of a Cougar mechanical keyboard after I get my disability check on the 3rd. Until then you'll just have to decipher my posts because I am just plain sick and tired of having to constantly edit my posts.
    Cougar keyboard I have in mind if someone can give me some feedback on whether this is a mistake or not: https://www.amazon.com/Cougar-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboard-AttackX3-4IS/dp/B01938BWZG?

Are you sure nothing was spilled on the K70. Mine did that after someone spilled soda on mine. I took it part and cleaned it with 91% isopropyl alcohol. I used an old brush to clean where the switches goes down (like 6-12x times). After a few hours the keyboard started to work just fine.

Have you checked out monoprice RGB keyboard?
    https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-MultiColor-Full-Sized-Mechanical-Keyboard/dp/B0170WE09C/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1469374132&sr

Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Can 'dirty' poorly filtered power cause keyboard issues? 2016/07/24 08:41:41 (permalink)
    I've spilled things on it more than once but after it dried out it went back to normal. Wow, a perfect sentence on the first try!!! Woot! The strangest thing was when I spilled a glass of water on the counter top and the keyboard sucked it up inside with a sort of wicking effect. I was baffled because I picked up thee K70 right away and there was only a small puddle near the back feet and then it went totally bonkers on me. I was getting strings of characters including activating somme of the function keys. It dried out after a few hours. Now this. If anyone says anything about my spelling just tell them that I stutter and that's how I always type because the Nuns always tolld me "when in doubt, sound it out" and that's how I type my words.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30996
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Can 'dirty' poorly filtered power cause keyboard issues? 2016/07/24 12:07:45 (permalink)
    Doubt it is the PSU.  If your power was that wonky your memory would get corrupted and crash your system

You tried moving to different USB port ? 

Got any pets with a chewing habit ?

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Can 'dirty' poorly filtered power cause keyboard issues? 2016/07/24 14:44:14 (permalink)
    It's worth a shot to take the K70 part and clean it with 91% isopropyl alcohol.  Lots of people have been able to saved the keyboard by doing that. You can find videos on youtube if you need more help or help finding the hidden screws. I have the old K70 with blue LED's. That keyboard has two hidden screws, one under the Corsair logo at the top and one under the right side volume control (under the plastic). I didn't disconnect any wires inside the keyboard.

Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Can 'dirty' poorly filtered power cause keyboard issues? 2016/07/24 15:06:46 (permalink)
    MSim
    It's worth a shot to take the K70 part and clean it with 91% isopropyl alcohol.  Lots of people have been able to saved the keyboard by doing that. You can find videos on youtube if you need more help or help finding the hidden screws. I have the old K70 with blue LED's. That keyboard has two hidden screws, one under the Corsair logo at the top and one under the right side volume control (under the plastic). I didn't disconnect any wires inside the keyboard.

Yeah, it's the one under the logo that worries me since I don't want to mess it up or bend it. I just watched a video on exactly what you aree talking about but they warn to let it dry for at least 3 days. They also apply 3-in-1 oill to the stems. That might help suck up somme of the wiggle. I'm still getting that Cougar w/Brown switches. Then I'll try to salvage this K70.
    MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Can 'dirty' poorly filtered power cause keyboard issues? 2016/07/24 21:41:08 (permalink)
    My logo doesn't stick down all the way now, would be easy to fix with some hot glue. I plugged my keyboard back in after putting it back together. I kept cleaning keys that were sticking or not felling right over the following week with 91% alcohol.  

Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Can 'dirty' poorly filtered power cause keyboard issues? 2016/07/25 06:02:13 (permalink)
    MSim
    My logo doesn't stick down all the way now, would be easy to fix with some hot glue. I plugged my keyboard back in after putting it back together. I kept cleaning keys that were sticking or not felling right over the following week with 91% alcohol.  

You mean by taking the keycap off and using a Q-tip to place a drop on the stem? That's what the video I watched showed.
    Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Can 'dirty' poorly filtered power cause keyboard issues? 2016/07/25 13:38:58 (permalink)
    OK, I spent around 10 minutes on just the 'L' with a Q-tip soaked in Isopropyl Alcohol bottoming out the switch and repeating when the Alcohol dried up. At some point the sound of the switch changed so here we are. So far so good. I am hoping for good luck with this. If I still have these excellent results later today I will hammer the E and the M. I am trying to find words with a L in it but I don't need many in this post but all is well. Massive thunderstorms over head so I am shutting down for now.
    ragevirusqq
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 446
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Can 'dirty' poorly filtered power cause keyboard issues? 2016/07/25 14:16:39 (permalink)
    You can also refresh the FW on a K70. you will have to get the FW file and instructions from corsair support though. Basically its a wipe and refresh of the FW on the keyboard. There is a smal reset hole near the polling rate switch and if held down while inserting only the power usb it makes the KB a small flash drive on your PC.   

CaseLabs SM8 - X99 Classified - EVGA 1080ti - 5930k @ 4.5 - 32GB Hyper X predator - 480mm x2 and 360mm rads for super low fan speed and quiet operation- EK blocks and pump/res - All Bitspower black fittings - 1Tb samsung 850 evo 2tb total ssd space - EVGA 1300G2 - Predator X34 - Mayflower Objective 2 DAC/AMP - Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro - Sennheiser HD6xx - Mackie CR4 monitors
    Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Can 'dirty' poorly filtered power cause keyboard issues? 2016/07/25 14:21:41 (permalink)
    I updated the Firmware on Friday.
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30996
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: Can 'dirty' poorly filtered power cause keyboard issues? 2016/07/25 15:00:07 (permalink)
    Zuhl3156
    OK, I spent around 10 minutes on just the 'L' with a Q-tip soaked in Isopropyl Alcohol bottoming out the switch and repeating when the Alcohol dried up. At some point the sound of the switch changed so here we are. So far so good. I am hoping for good luck with this. If I still have these excellent results later today I will hammer the E and the M. I am trying to find words with a L in it but I don't need many in this post but all is well. Massive thunderstorms over head so I am shutting down for now.

little lazy long legged lizards lounging on the logs along the lake 

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

ragevirusqq
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 446
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Can 'dirty' poorly filtered power cause keyboard issues? 2016/07/25 15:01:46 (permalink)
    I have had a corrupt firmware install in the past and had to use the full reset method to get the KB working properly again. Just a thought. 

CaseLabs SM8 - X99 Classified - EVGA 1080ti - 5930k @ 4.5 - 32GB Hyper X predator - 480mm x2 and 360mm rads for super low fan speed and quiet operation- EK blocks and pump/res - All Bitspower black fittings - 1Tb samsung 850 evo 2tb total ssd space - EVGA 1300G2 - Predator X34 - Mayflower Objective 2 DAC/AMP - Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro - Sennheiser HD6xx - Mackie CR4 monitors
    MSim
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Can 'dirty' poorly filtered power cause keyboard issues? 2016/07/25 19:09:58 (permalink)
    Q-tip might work, i used a small paint brush like this to try and clean inside where switch goes down.  I had to clean a few keys like 6-8 times over a week to finally get them to all feel right.
    Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Can 'dirty' poorly filtered power cause keyboard issues? 2016/07/26 05:24:22 (permalink)
    Used this idea from around 7:09 in the vid...

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile