EVGA

Can a bad RAM slot cause freezing and BSOD?

Author
foxman09
  • Total Posts : 48
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2012/09/17 20:57:55 (permalink)
Heeeey guys,

I posted before that I had a ton of computer freezing issues. I found out I had a ton of outdated drivers and updated them. Freezing stopped for a day but not it's back with a vengeance and BSODs are happening now too. This is strange considering for a whole day I was able to max out the RAM and CPU from time to time watching videos, converting multiple videos at a time, opening tons of photos etc. Then at night when I was just converting one video and surfing the web a freeze happened. And now it's constantly freezing and BSOD, worse than before. Someone might say updating drivers can effect the PC. But it was fine for the ENTIRE day.

My PC can run fine for the most part until I start converting video files or simply transfer videos into a video file converter. 

I have discovered something. My MOBO is indeed bad. The number 1 RAM slot does not work. I actually got the 1 and the 5 slots confused before and never did try 1 stick of ram in 1 , 3 , and 5. I had only been testing it in 5 just to see if my RAM was bad. So I tried 1 stick of RAM in each slot and SLot 1 is bad thus meaning the Mobo is bad. 

I moved to the Philippines so to RMA the board isn't going to happen until I go back to the US next year because shipping this thing will be quite expensive. 

But I have a question. Can/Does an unused bad RAM slot cause freezes and BSODs? 

If it doesn't then this freezing/BSOD issue is something else. If it can then I shouldn't waste my time doing anything else until I get a board to replace it with.

I suppose I'll try running linux on another drive just to see if my PC will crash. 

4 Replies Related Threads

Demonik5150
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4558
    • Ribbons : 11
    Re:Can a bad RAM slot cause freezing and BSOD? 2012/09/17 20:59:38 (permalink)
    Yes happened to me before try to to find the bad slot and dont use till you RMA it other slots should be fine and shouldn't cause problems

foxman09
    Re:Can a bad RAM slot cause freezing and BSOD? 2012/09/17 21:43:31 (permalink)
    Ok so this is strictly a software issue? I had stopped using the slot before I updated the drivers and the freezing stopped. But now it's freezing more than ever and I'm still not using the slot.   
    Crusheddream
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1985
    • Ribbons : 12
    Re:Can a bad RAM slot cause freezing and BSOD? 2012/09/18 15:53:49 (permalink)
    You should disable auto restart in windows so you can get the BSOD code.  If you get me the code i might be able to help a little more. 

Didnt we conclude it was your motherboard failing in the other thread?  If so the freezing isnt going to stop. 

You can try raising CPU VTT QPI PLL and DimmV see if that helps at all.

CPU VTT +150 to +250 try these ranges
    QPI PLL 1.2v or 1.25
    DimmV- go from RAM stock to 1.65  I believe you are using vengance ram which is stock 1.5 if i remember correctly.  But try raising it up.  

Ive encountered freezing when DimmV was too low.  Usually if its VTT or QPI youll get a BSOD.  If you get a BSOD 3B it means youve added too much VTT or QPI lower it until the BSOD stops.

I recommend you download Linx and do 20 passes on 25000 problems see if you cant weed out any more errors.

foxman09
    Re:Can a bad RAM slot cause freezing and BSOD? 2012/09/19 22:22:29 (permalink)
    I've submitted an RMA request for the board. I'll contact you if I still get BSOD after replacement. Until then I'm not wasting my time when I have a bad board.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile