Camouflaged GTX1070 Founders Edition

Author
stefangtx
  • Total Posts : 17
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2017/02/20 10:47:51 (permalink)
Let my story begin... 
I had a GTX1070 FE, a real FE but after some months of flawless performance it died. I RMA'd my card to EVGA EU and they immediately replaced my card and in one week period i had a brand new 1070 "FOUNDERS EDITION".. 
I received my package, I opened it, i was surpised to see a brand new card and thanks EVGA for that, but, when I inspected closely the card i realized that was not a "genuine" founders edition. 
Nvidia logo was missing from pci-e connector, the i/o plate was different and had an extension that wrote "designed by EVGA"... My first card was not like that... 
Anyways, plugged it in, my computer booted, and i was afraid of having a micron dram card so i opened gpu-z to check it out. My "founders" edition card is finally running on micron memory and it's well known that cards with micron memories had a bios issue and wouldnt clock higher and artifacts would appear... I tested the card +500MHz on the memory it was stable.
As far I know, none of founders edition cards were running with micron chips, they were using the original samsung dram chips but my whole point is not only the memory but the whole "scam". The card that EVGA sent me back is not a Founders edition but a ACX 3.0 with a FE cooler on it. I know that acx 3.0 except ftw and classified models still use the reference pcb design and so the cooler swap can take place here. The card runs pretty well and still is a 1070 ;) .

My review was super positive for your efforts to deal with a lot of people and maintain their satisfaction with your products, but i am kinda dissapointed now because i paid for a founders edition not a camouflaged card with the FE cooler on it. The box was unopened with full accessories. Any solution to my problem? 
I cant afford to pay again for shipping to EVGA EU and i would NEVER EVER EVER thought that situation would occur on EVGA products. NEVER.

Motherboard:Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5, CPU: AMD FX-8350 @4.7GHz, RAM:16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical DDR3 1866MHz CL9, PSU: Corsair GS700 2013 Edition, Graphics: EVGA GeForce GTX1070 Founders Edition , Case: Coolermaster Stacker 830 Nvidia Edition, Cooler: Corsair H100i, Storage: Seagate 500G 7200rpm + WD 80G 5400rpm, Extra: Akasa 4port fan controller, Sharkoon UV lights x4

6 Replies Related Threads

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: Camouflaged GTX1070 Founders Edition 2017/02/20 11:18:46 (permalink)
    The founders edition is just a name for the cooler, the pcb is identical. Nvidia released the bios for the vram when they started utilizing the micron memory on the 1070 as well, which is what took so long for all of the companies to acquire the bios and then release it on their websites. With the new bios, the micron memory issue was alleviated.

There isnt a such thing as an acx pcb. NVidia designed the pcb, and EVGA is allowed to replicate excatly that. The cooler doesnt make the pcb change.

I will see if I can get someone from evga to take a look. I am also going to move this to the warranty section, as this is a warranty question.
    post edited by Scarlet-Tech - 2017/02/20 11:23:46
    EVGATech_JaesonW
    EVGA Tech Support
    • Total Posts : 910
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: Camouflaged GTX1070 Founders Edition 2017/02/20 12:26:15 (permalink)
    Hello stefangtx,

I can confirm the information that Scarlet-Tech provided is correct. A Founder's Edition card only refers to the cooler that comes with the card, and any EVGA branded card that uses a reference design is indeed a genuine card. The reference design used for Founder's and ACX cards are one and the same, and Nvidia leaves it up to each of the AIB partners to build PCBs in spec to this reference design. The type of memory used is not specified and may vary from card to card. It also sounds like the card you got back has one of our high flow brackets. If anything it'll allow a bit more air to vent out and could help a degree or two with temperatures, but otherwise is only cosmetic. 

I hope this helps ease your concerns about the card you received. If you have any other concerns or questions we will be happy to address them.

EVGA Customer Service Manager
    Have a moment? Please rate our service 
    stefangtx
    Re: Camouflaged GTX1070 Founders Edition 2017/02/20 17:00:38 (permalink)
    Hello JaesonW, I know that they are purely cosmetic. My concers were about the pcb. So, I am good to go? My computer run on micron memory (crucial) and I trust micron many years now but i was concerned about that bios bug that crippled overclocking. (I dont actually need overclocking for the moment )
    Now.. a small question. My previous 1070 was running on Samsung ram and I applied a bios hotfix because precision and gpu-z wont detect an "EVGA" card because i have an AMD processor. I contacted EVGA and they sent me the bios fix. Today when i received the card, I applied the same fix although the new card is running on Micron chips. So far so good... all running perfectly fine.! I received the bios fix at October 3rd 2016. Had nvidia released the micron dram fix then or they did release that later? I want to have the most stable version for my card. 

Thank you for your info, and sorry for my post.. 

Motherboard:Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5, CPU: AMD FX-8350 @4.7GHz, RAM:16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical DDR3 1866MHz CL9, PSU: Corsair GS700 2013 Edition, Graphics: EVGA GeForce GTX1070 Founders Edition , Case: Coolermaster Stacker 830 Nvidia Edition, Cooler: Corsair H100i, Storage: Seagate 500G 7200rpm + WD 80G 5400rpm, Extra: Akasa 4port fan controller, Sharkoon UV lights x4
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Camouflaged GTX1070 Founders Edition 2017/02/20 17:30:22 (permalink)
    stefangtx
    Had nvidia released the micron dram fix then or they did release that later?

EVGA released theirs on the 17th. http://forums.evga.com/tm.aspx?m=2565056&p=33
    stefangtx
    Re: Camouflaged GTX1070 Founders Edition 2017/02/20 17:34:10 (permalink)
    I was looking at that list before and I want to ask. Will i have any identification problems with this bios? Do they come with the AMD board fix as well? 

Edit: I flashed the bios and I have no problems whatsover... It recognizes the card normally 

Thank you EVGA...!! 
    post edited by stefangtx - 2017/02/20 18:04:31

EVGATech_JaesonW
    EVGA Tech Support
    • Total Posts : 910
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: Camouflaged GTX1070 Founders Edition 2017/02/21 07:28:15 (permalink)
    Sorry for the late reply! I just want to confirm that as you've discovered, the latest vBIOS does have the AMD fix and memory improvements included. You should be all set. If you do encounter any issues, let us know, we're here to help!

EVGA Customer Service Manager
    Have a moment? Please rate our service 
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile