CC 2014 Discussions

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 9
Author
texinga
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5066
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 22
Re: CC 2014 Discussions 2013/11/01 09:53:56 (permalink)
Xavier,  several of us have been asking those same questions for awhile now.  While we are in the questioning mode, here's another.  Who really is "we" when the subject arises about whether CC has to be designed a fair contest between Teams?  is it really a significant, representation of our Folding community, or perhaps a very small segment of people that feel they are representing a larger interest?  One thing that we do know is that CC has lost entire teams from participation (some very large, some medium) and that too is a problem indicator for the "contest".

At times, I've visited the other Team's CC threads as several of you have.  I don't recall seeing people hell-bent that CC must be Team-vs-Team or getting all wrapped-up in formulas, fairness, ringers, etc.  I do recall seeing a lot of "I don't care who wins" and "I know we don't have a chance, but I'll be there anyway" kind of comments.  Those are not the comments of people that really have high interest in the things that we bang our heads upon developing every year.  They appear to just like the "big event" and the tradition of a large Fold-a-thon to kill diseases.  Maybe we are trying to drive (or keep alive) a flavor of CC that the majority of Folders don't even care about. 

Sbinh, hi there and thanks for dropping-in.  I relate with much of what you said and several of us have suggested that we do something totally new.

notfordman
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10345
  • Ribbons : 28
Re: CC 2014 Discussions 2013/11/01 10:46:06 (permalink)
Maybe we should start a poll about weather to participate or just have a fold-a-thon. I enjoy participating ,but I do tire of the politics involved and the perceived perception from outside our Team. I do think you hit on something with the bux folders.
Viper97
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 5208
  • Ribbons : 11
Re: CC 2014 Discussions 2013/11/01 17:12:46 (permalink)
Okay... I'm just going to put this out there.  Skip CC... period.  I'll fold for any contest, any thing this team asks me to, wants me to or puts together.  I will not participate in the CC.  Period.  It's tainted and I'm actually adamant about this.  [H] has the right idea... the heck with it.  Me I won't play.  End of story... end of line.

I cannot wrap my head around a contest that so handicaps anything that it's impossible to win for the 'big' players.  I cannot lend, create or come up with an idea to make it 'fair'.

So... that said... enjoy.  I'll actually shut down my rigs if the team joins the CC this next go around.  Simply out of protest.  I'm all for further the cause but not so at the expense of our camaraderie amongst this team. 

Xavier Zepherious
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 6746
  • Ribbons : 16
Re: CC 2014 Discussions 2013/11/01 17:54:29 (permalink)
texinga
Xavier,  several of us have been asking those same questions for awhile now.  While we are in the questioning mode, here's another.  Who really is "we" when the subject arises about whether CC has to be designed a fair contest between Teams?  is it really a significant, representation of our Folding community, or perhaps a very small segment of people that feel they are representing a larger interest?  One thing that we do know is that CC has lost entire teams from participation (some very large, some medium) and that too is a problem indicator for the "contest".

At times, I've visited the other Team's CC threads as several of you have.  I don't recall seeing people hell-bent that CC must be Team-vs-Team or getting all wrapped-up in formulas, fairness, ringers, etc.  I do recall seeing a lot of "I don't care who wins" and "I know we don't have a chance, but I'll be there anyway" kind of comments.  Those are not the comments of people that really have high interest in the things that we bang our heads upon developing every year.  They appear to just like the "big event" and the tradition of a large Fold-a-thon to kill diseases.  Maybe we are trying to drive (or keep alive) a flavor of CC that the majority of Folders don't even care about. 

Sbinh, hi there and thanks for dropping-in.  I relate with much of what you said and several of us have suggested that we do something totally new.

From what I recall HWC wouldn't care nor would MPC
in fact many would probably just do straight points race- not for a symbolic Jaded monkey
the only ones balking are OCN and OCF for last two or three years 

OCAU didn't care - TSC didn't,  HWC didn't, MPC wanted it back to original 
and these are smaller teams than OCN or OCF

you have to look TSC doesn't stand a chance under any system nor does OCAU, or Bit-TECH, or MPC
they had no problems with a PPD race - having another race simultaneously was more of a benefit for them for them to hope for some other prize
some even stated that

the jaded monkey was suppose to represent the best folding team (Which is [H] at the moment)
Something that should be earned by growing your team and it's production- not by hook or crook of the rules or by handicapping another so they can't win

the problem is the captians design and agree on the contest - Im only 1 vote -if enough capts convince the others of another route Im outvoted
At least that's how it's been - very little team input(specially from other teams) - because of the lack of transparency and openness
I don't blame the teams for feeling that nothing changes - we get crappy results year after year

last couple of years it's been my way or the highway (teams or team captains forcing ultimatums - two in particular OCN,OCF)

Which is why Im always pushing to open the process up - problem is there is so much pent up angst bad feelings that it's harder to accomplish anything

LIke I said Im open to a variety of contest 

match set players from each team (match combined PPD heads up)
PPD,
Handicaps,
Team averaging
combining teams
Foldathon

Heads up captains (Im open to losing - make me buckle up my belt next time around)
Newbie race
Heads up HIGHEST producer of each team
continental race/country race (continental cup or bejeweled chalice)

pick them all
if you want more fine

no single race will work - unless it's a foldathon  or single combined goal

So I ask you to consider that first

It will either be a bonanza of awards (and a headache to do stats) or a simple "fold for the cause" Event

I hope drougnor doesn't have a fit if we pick a dozen or so contest to do stats on...LOL

PS:
Quite frankly if it wasn't a contest and just a foldathon
I think we could get [H] to fold it's square brackets off for the event

Why not - no winners you fold your "brackets" and parts off for a short stint for fun, for fallen victims and friends

And just keep a note of the increase each brought in for the event over our normal folding
We run our own internal contest if we want but the Event is strictly for "THE CAUSE"

post edited by Xavier Zepherious - 2013/11/01 18:09:20

Primes found     Affiliate Code:YN2AHK39LH

troy8d
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2817
  • Ribbons : 10
Re: CC 2014 Discussions 2013/11/01 17:54:55 (permalink)
Viper97
Okay... I'm just going to put this out there.  Skip CC... period.  I'll fold for any contest, any thing this team asks me to, wants me to or puts together.  I will not participate in the CC.  Period.  It's tainted and I'm actually adamant about this.  [H] has the right idea... the heck with it.  Me I won't play.  End of story... end of line.

I cannot wrap my head around a contest that so handicaps anything that it's impossible to win for the 'big' players.  I cannot lend, create or come up with an idea to make it 'fair'.

So... that said... enjoy.  I'll actually shut down my rigs if the team joins the CC this next go around.  Simply out of protest.  I'm all for further the cause but not so at the expense of our camaraderie amongst this team. 

I agree with your sentiment that the Chimp Challenge is incredibly broken, the problem being a dysfunctional organizational structure as much as the inherent design difficulties. The Chimp Challenge has morphed from the fun, unifying event it once was to something that causes a great deal of discord with in our own folding community and divisiveness in the greater folding community.  I will not, however, allow it to alter my regular folding activity.  Instead, I will simply ignore it and focus my energy on more things with a more positive outcome and would urge you to do the same.

I can only see one possible format for the Chimp Challenge to survive as a fun and positive event for the entire folding community. I'd need to sit down with a cold beer and put a little more thought into it, but the more important question is would other teams be on board...

ASSOCIATE CODE : N3OP4FX27BEO113 (3-10% off EVGA.com purchases)   |   AFFILIATE/REWARDS CODE: K2LS6QIN0Y (EVGA product registration)
Viper97
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: CC 2014 Discussions 2013/11/01 18:12:31 (permalink)
I can get down with the cold beer... but I was speaking more to the 'all inclusive' no need to sign up for event.  I'll fold if it isn't counted without me joining the CC.  I do that 24/7 anyway.  My intention Troy was to say that if I'm automatically included in an event I have no desire to be part of... then I will shut down my machines.

It was not meant to be any more than that... I too like others love to help find cures.  I just do not wish to be part of the drama if I'm automatically included in it.  I believe you understand this.

texinga
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: CC 2014 Discussions 2013/11/01 18:42:26 (permalink)
Thanks Xavier...and that is pretty much the same thing I learned about the other teams by just visiting their CC threads in the past. 

So, let me float this thought out there.  If (as you pointed out) we typically get all tangled up in CC by just (2) other teams, maybe we create a new contest that all the other teams (including the ones that left) would like to do?  We had Sbinh in here today from [H] suggesting something along those very lines.  Let the other (2) teams (OCN and OCF) joust with each other if they would rather do that stuff.  I think we can safely say that most of us are tired of trying to develop a CC with them.  Let's break free and do something different, new, easy to digest and with a whole lot less stress on teams.

What we have been trying to do just isn't working, it gnaws away at the patience of those trying to make it work and it negatively affects team spirit.  This we actually know from history.  Several people have said (at different points in this thread) that CC is broken.  How about we let the thing go to the grave and move-on to do something that can work?  Also create a new name for a new direction of Folding greatness among all teams that want to have a focus on doing something great together.  Something positive that uplifts people's spirits, unifies Folding and brings great Folding results.

Sometimes ya just gotta say it out-loud...and be willing to step off into a new direction. 

Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 25794
  • Ribbons : 110
Re: CC 2014 Discussions 2013/11/01 20:09:17 (permalink)
Viper97

Actually, if you do not mind my suggestion... Would you consider converting those machines to another team that is not in the CC so those that need our help do not lose
out? I have been in transition the last few months and desperately want to get back to 24/7 folding and crunching  I had been running. But if the CC goes sideways, I will most likely fold with another team or push everything over to Crunching...

sbinh
  • Total Posts : 57
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: CC 2014 Discussions 2013/11/01 20:26:38 (permalink)
I need to clarify one thing with Texinga :D .. I'm not represent for [H]. I currently fold for them for 2 reasons:
- pay back for the things I learned from them (and the parts I bought from them :D)
- help them to achive new goal: defeat team "default"
So, don't count me as [H] folder :p

When I go around to visit other teams, I am represent myself as VGT (Vietnam Global Team) member - not even on their behalf. VinceLuong is the one.
I once joined your TZC ( I believe it was last year) and like it.
No matter it is a contest /foldathon or not, I still fold at my best (that I can afford).

Last CC, I contacted XS / adak to see if  team VGT can join the CC. Simply because I know VGT members LOVE to compete. They love to have fun.
And competition is the only way to push them fold harder :D
texinga
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: CC 2014 Discussions 2013/11/02 05:33:39 (permalink)
Thanks for the clarification Sbinh.  Several of us have done a thank-you Fold for [H] this year, so we understand what you are doing and why. It is a right thing to do for a team that has given so much to the Folding community. 

My thinking was that in the past we already have teams that left CC and said they wouldn't be back (HardOCP and MaximumPC).  They did so because CC was either too far away from it's origins or that it was causing too much strife within their team.  Those two issues have not changed from what I can tell.  If we could have an annual Folding event that does not wreak havoc on teams or seem too convoluted to sustain, it could be something positive to look forward to doing. 

The Time Zone Challenge is such a contest.  It has none of the annual design issues and negativity that developing CC seems to bring.  It is also a contest, so we get to enjoy the competition.  It is no where near a "balanced contest" with a bunch of handicapping issues either.  It is just plain fun to do and people want to do it as designed.  That is the kind of contest that I feel we need to replace CC.

I get where Viper is at too.  It just gets to be too much trying to keep reinventing CC every year.  It wears you down and makes you just want to do something else.  I agree with Troy's and AB's recommendation too.  Fold somewhere, somehow.

Viper97
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: CC 2014 Discussions 2013/11/02 07:19:56 (permalink)
Afterburner
Viper97

Actually, if you do not mind my suggestion... Would you consider converting those machines to another team that is not in the CC so those that need our help do not lose
out? I have been in transition the last few months and desperately want to get back to 24/7 folding and crunching  I had been running. But if the CC goes sideways, I will most likely fold with another team or push everything over to Crunching...

I've actually started the BOINC install on my machines here just in case.  Hadn't thought about folding for another team though.  Good point! 

Adak1
  • Total Posts : 51
Re: CC 2014 Discussions 2013/11/02 10:01:31 (permalink)
Let's get back to some truth here.

@troy8d

The Chimp Challenge has morphed from the fun, unifying event it once was to something that causes a great deal of discord with in our own folding community and divisiveness in the greater folding community.

Troy, the CC was was born competitive, and up to now, has ALWAYS been a source of keen competition. It was ALL about team pride, never "unifying". It was "We Will Rock YOU! <sing it!> ", not "We Are The World".

I wanted to explore LESS competitive ideas for this CC, but that is something past CC's NEVER were about. Not the first one, and not any CC since, either. I keep seeing people post this - it wasn't true then, and has never been true. Troy, the CC was fun for you earlier, because EVGA won some of them.  That's always fun.

@texinga

My thinking was that in the past we already have teams that left CC and said they wouldn't be back (HardOCP and MaximumPC).  They did so because CC was either too far away from it's origins or that it was causing too much strife within their team.  Those two issues have not changed from what I can tell.

One more time - [H] quit racing in the CC because of the problem with having to use one team folding name, instead of their own name. Many folders did not like that, and refused to change their name. Others resented those who would not join the race.

That was changed this year, and yes, I did heavily promote it. When you say that this issue has "not been changed", you're just wrong.

MaximumPC team used to be #3 in the world, but in the years since then, they've lost a large number of their top 100 folders, including the Spider Monkeys group that first raced in the CC. Spider Monkey is the moderator of that forum, but he doesn't fold for MaximumPC anymore.

14546softailguy  000091,243,6578,880
15560Spider_Monkey  000089,322,412148,147
16613Scottie_314159  000080,560,06469,293

Forty-four of their top 100 folders, have stopped folding. They are now #6 in the world, and will be passed again if things don't improve.

And of course, they lost GSmitheman who was totally dedicated to folding, and their long-term and well loved, moderator. They are in a current down-swing, and they know it. When they get back on the up-swing, they'll race again, I have no doubt.

Xavier: you've mentioned having several races at the same time. The two problems I see with that are:

1) You need extra support people to run these other races. We always have had problems getting support volunteers and without them, it puts more work on the volunteers we are lucky to have for the one race/event.

If you can drum up reliable people to support these other races, then this idea would be better received.

2) Several races going on at the same time, dilutes the importance of any one race. We want a race or event, but something with three or less races/events. The big factor though is #1 - support people for these other races.

@Viper, etc.
If this CC discussion is stressing you out, you don't need to be here. Let your Captain know how you feel, and let it go. Obviously there will be differences of opinion generated in such a thread.

We should try to give birth to a better CC, not bury it, in this thread. Nothing positive will result from repeating over and over, how the CC should stop, how bad it is, etc. That has been mentioned several times, over and over, by the same people who thought that way last year. Nothing positive will come of it. The CC doesn't mean that you can't have other races and contests, both internally and with other teams. Go right ahead!

This is just one race or event. It will never satisfy everyone. Being negative about it helps no one.

post edited by Adak1 - 2013/11/02 10:03:31
troy8d
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 2817
  • Ribbons : 10
Re: CC 2014 Discussions 2013/11/02 10:25:10 (permalink)
Adak1

The truth: many of us want you to leave our forums and never return. 

I am not going to bother to respond to your inane posts - they contain very little truth and you are not worth my time. 

ASSOCIATE CODE : N3OP4FX27BEO113 (3-10% off EVGA.com purchases)   |   AFFILIATE/REWARDS CODE: K2LS6QIN0Y (EVGA product registration)
Viper97
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: CC 2014 Discussions 2013/11/02 11:25:28 (permalink)
You assume too much Adak... I am not stressed about the CC, I am however certain that it is as worthless a contest/game/race or whatever you wish to call it as can possibly be.  Since I'm a rather older member here on the forum I don't see where you have the need or ability to tell me that I needn't input my thoughts. 

It is this sort of mentality that you tend to bring in here that I'm fighting.  However if the team tells me not to say anything I stay out of it.  It is their decision to make, not yours. 

texinga
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: CC 2014 Discussions 2013/11/02 12:45:46 (permalink)
troy8d
Adak1

The truth: many of us want you to leave our forums and never return. 

I am not going to bother to respond to your inane posts - they contain very little truth and you are not worth my time. 

Extremely well put Troy.  The "truth according to Adak"...?  Hardly.  I don't recall when I've seen a larger disconnection from reality than we are seeing with this fellow.  Incredible really.  Ho-hum...let's just get back to what we were doing before being so rudely interrupted.

Afterburner
EVGA Forum Moderator
  • Total Posts : 25794
  • Ribbons : 110
Re: CC 2014 Discussions 2013/11/02 14:13:39 (permalink)

Viper97
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: CC 2014 Discussions 2013/11/02 15:08:06 (permalink)

Attached Image(s)

Adak1
Re: CC 2014 Discussions 2013/11/02 15:11:08 (permalink)
Well, I'm older, so listen up! ;)

Do you see anything good coming out of contributing this negative point of view about the CC, over and over? The idea is to improve the CC, not see how much bad mouthing we can give it. We want the maternity ward for this, not the graveyard.

We need to get ideas for the CC. They don't have to be great ideas, just "possible" ideas, right now. We'll sort through them later on. All the negativity tends to just shut down the flow of ideas. I'm not telling you where to post, or how to post. Just asking for a little consideration, is all.

Texinga, I was there when [H] stopped racing. I discussed it on their forum, as well as on other forums. I discussed it with [H] members who race with OCF every year, also. I believe posts on [H] from that period have been largely deleted, but OCF has some still. Indeed, OCF had the exact same problem, in prior years. You can look back at OCAU and Hardware Canucks and still see the posts I made there to promote the "no name change required", as well as Tom's Hardware team forum and PCPitstop's forum. You can also count up the number of top 100 Maximum PC folders that have quit folding.

But I'm not here to argue by-gone facts or opinions of old CC races. I'm asking for a little consideration from you. Can we call a truce? The more time we spend arguing, the more likely the CC will remain unchanged.

Viper97
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: CC 2014 Discussions 2013/11/02 15:28:28 (permalink)
Adak1

At 58 I doubt it... that's my age.

Adak1 
But I'm not here to argue by-gone facts or opinions of old CC races. I'm asking for a little consideration from you. Can we call a truce? The more time we spend arguing, the more likely the CC will remain unchanged.

Actually you did change it... not for the better.  Get the feeling I don't really care for you as a person?  I'm just saying...

texinga
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re: CC 2014 Discussions 2013/11/02 15:33:48 (permalink)
Adak1

Do you see anything good coming out of contributing this negative point of view about the CC, over and over? The idea is to improve the CC, not see how much bad mouthing we can give it. We want the maternity ward for this, not the graveyard.

We need to get ideas for the CC. They don't have to be great ideas, just "possible" ideas, right now. We'll sort through them later on. All the negativity tends to just shut down the flow of ideas. I'm not telling you where to post, or how to post. Just asking for a little consideration, is all.

Texinga, I was there when [H] stopped racing. I discussed it on their forum, as well as on other forums. I discussed it with [H] members who race with OCF every year, also. I believe posts on [H] from that period have been largely deleted, but OCF has some still. Indeed, OCF had the exact same problem, in prior years. You can look back at OCAU and Hardware Canucks and still see the posts I made there to promote the "no name change required", as well as Tom's Hardware team forum and PCPitstop's forum. You can also count up the number of top 100 Maximum PC folders that have quit folding.

Adak, we have every right to discuss CC alternatives here without being accused of being "negative".  Why don't you simply leave us alone and stop worrying why some of us don't want to play in your CC sandbox?  If you are older than I am, I'd think that by now you would have learned about diversity.  There is no need to go on the attack here in hopes that it will somehow convince people that your opinion on CC has to be adopted.  Try that strategy over at [H] and tell us how well that works for you. 

People here are resisting you more than they are a contest.  Haven't you figured that out by now?  Nobody here comes into this thread to pick a fight other than you.  You are getting dished back at you what you are putting out.  People here are peaceful, we haven't been bad-mouthing you at other forums and your forum at OCF is not being plagued with rudeness.  How you can think that it is OK to do those things to us and expect us to want to work with you simply escapes logic.  There is a lot of bad water under the bridge here with you.  I can't put it any more plainly than that and if you still can't get it, then I have nothing more to offer you.

Adak1
Re: CC 2014 Discussions 2013/11/02 21:55:25 (permalink)
Viper97
At 58 I doubt it... that's my age.

I'm quite a bit older than you. 60 was several years ago, for me.

Adak1 

Actually you did change it... not for the better.  Get the feeling I don't really care for you as a person?  I'm just saying...

You see me in this context, against a background of distrust and disappointment by your team. It would be rare, given that, that anyone would see me, in a good light.

What I've strongly supported in the CC:

1) Changing it to allow racers to use their own folding names. This is the thing that tore [H] up in the race. Long term goal - bring [H] back into the CC.

2) Adding another team to the CC. All the CC Captains supported bringing in VGT, but none supported it more than I did.

3) A better handicap system. It wasn't perfect, because handicap systems that are well designed, rely on past race performance, and there wasn't much of that to go on.

Yes, I did a lot of recruiting for OCF, and that's a big reason OCF won. But many teams have used recruiting to win the CC, including EVGA, MaximumPC, and Tech Power Up! TSC! Russia, Hardware Canucks, OCAU, etc. (I recruited one of those same teams for OCF, that an EVGA'er had recruited some years ago). In addition however, I also recruited a lot of "retired" or inactive folders, from OCF, and several who were just curious about it. They'd never raced in it before.

Several have commented that they had a great time, and look forward to doing it again:

WMDRAUCHAdvanced Member
Advanced Member319 posts

• Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:03 PM
    No great ideas from me....it has to be tough equalizing everybody out so it is fair.  Here's hoping the CC continues though...it was a lot of fun last time....    

• I helped move the CC forward, toward a better race format. The difference between myself and most other race Captains, is that I don't just talk about the CC, or make a vote or poll about it. I work for the CC, and I spend a lot of time trying to make it better.
    All I'm asking for is a break in the negativity we've had in this thread. I'm not demanding anything - just asking. I hope I'm not asking for too much.
    Adak1
    Re: CC 2014 Discussions 2013/11/02 22:48:35 (permalink)

Adak, we have every right to discuss CC alternatives here without being accused of being "negative".  Why don't you simply leave us alone and stop worrying why some of us don't want to play in your CC sandbox?  If you are older than I am, I'd think that by now you would have learned about diversity.  There is no need to go on the attack here in hopes that it will somehow convince people that your opinion on CC has to be adopted.  Try that strategy over at [H] and tell us how well that works for you. 

I'm not trying to change your rights. I'm just asking for a space so ideas can flow freely. I'm here because you have a large team, with a CC discussion thread. Most teams don't have that, unless I've started it for them. It would be unfair to ignore your team's input.

I'm not trying to get anything adopted here, Texinga. I'm trying to get feedback on ideas, to ID the good ones, and get other ideas, also. I'm not here to sell you on anything. I wanted to get your team's reaction to being given some sales pitches, however. The real CC proposals will be made in the Captain's forum. Perhaps I wasn't clear about that.

Yes, I'd like to see [H] back in the CC, when they're ready. In general, I strongly support having more teams in the CC.
    I thought VGT was a great addition to the CC this year, and would like to see more like them, join in. Another team is interested in joining the next CC.

Hopefully, we'll have a good race format, and more teams than ever.

I waited for years for others to improve the CC - not much was changed. Now, I'm working on the CC, and things are changing. Threads like this one, help make those differences, possible. We need good ideas to evaluate, so we can make good changes, positive changes, to the CC.

jinihammerer
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1151
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re: CC 2014 Discussions 2013/11/02 23:17:39 (permalink)
    I am not interested in the CC in the least bit.

Last years CC wasn't in any way shape or form a "competition", it was a ego stroke sham.

The base calculation used last was set to give everyone a distinct advantage over this team.
    Using years old stats to set a handicap against the current stats of this team. It totally disregarded an nullified any growth this team or any other team had over the years.
    The rampant team jumping nullified any integrity of it being a competition..  it made it a joke... it was not anything more then lets beat EVGA any way we can.

I sincerely hope we bow out the the CC this year and just do our own thing.
    post edited by jinihammerer - 2013/11/02 23:19:49

My Affiliate Code: EB1-UCY-VA9N   

jinihammerer
    FTW Member
    Re: CC 2014 Discussions 2013/11/02 23:33:57 (permalink)
    texinga

People here are resisting you more than they are a contest.  Haven't you figured that out by now?  Nobody here comes into this thread to pick a fight other than you.  You are getting dished back at you what you are putting out.  People here are peaceful, we haven't been bad-mouthing you at other forums and your forum at OCF is not being plagued with rudeness.  How you can think that it is OK to do those things to us and expect us to want to work with you simply escapes logic.  There is a lot of bad water under the bridge here with you.  I can't put it any more plainly than that and if you still can't get it, then I have nothing more to offer you.

I thought he was banned from these forums.

Xavier Zepherious
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6746
    • Ribbons : 16
    Re: CC 2014 Discussions 2013/11/03 00:48:37 (permalink)
    ADAK...HUSH!!!

The Last race was not anywhere close to fair

1, Race designed by OCF (OCF WON) - in fact last 2 yrs

2. Handicap used old data from previous years - If I remember distinctly I said use peek stats (best 2 months or best 4 weeks - I don't care if they are recent) - that would reflect best recent output with new growth (and would eliminate low-balled stats from teams that don't fold 24/7)
    some teams and people do significantly at lot less folding for many months and then crank it out on contests or events
    so teams that crank out mostly 24/7 are penalized against teams that fold only at events

3. As I recall we discussed Team-jumping and ringers and we said that it was not allowed
    I said we couldn't stop stragglers from coming in (they could use false names or new accounts so I don't know if they come from another team)
    I said NO ACTIVE RECRUITMENT -and certainly NO TIT-FOR-TAT folding

I did not actively recruit or offer deals for folding for our team
    if they came because of news from other forums (not posted by me) and the team did not ask for them to join us then there is NO CHEATING
    In fact last year I actively stopped outside team recruitment and stayed away from asking DC teams and other teams to join

we have walkabouts too but there was no tit-for-tat - they never came over for the race
    we visit fold for [H] yet we got no help from [H]

WHY? PREY TELL

a) Because active recruitment of significant players or numbers would effectively make the Handicap a farce - IE big ringers would double or more output for small teams

i.E. Grandpa or brilong 8MPPD - OCAU 2MPPD - would bring in 5 fold or more increase and if you get 2 or more?
    what handicap would adjust for that??

This is why handicaps fail
    and teams have several big players now on multiple teams (DC included)

under the original system - old chimp - ringers/ recruiting would not be as much as an issue because of the PPD gap
    you could bring in Brilong or grandpa make it a contest under those rules

b) TIT_FOT-TAT folding - trading - spending time on another team - or PAYING the other team for folding
    was not to be allowed - why? Because unless the other teams are privy to the conditions or agreements between the teams we could have
    team A asking team Z to fold for 2 weeks .... Team A could make agreement to fold 4 or more weeks  to double triple or more increase the other teams output in payback

that is PAYING FOR HELP - Definitely cheating - Teams could get plenty of help - entire teams with that kind of payback - all sense of fairness is gone

Since there is no way to know the details and all we get is the words of the conspirators we are left with trusting their words (of contest breachers)

Adak All Im suggesting we look at it all
    don't discount anything

multiple contests are just as easy - more spreadsheets - maybe a bit more Data to get from stanford
    select team members can be done from each team - just a bit more stats 
    Drougnor has improved our stats collection to have events with other teams  on a regular basis here

My suggestion we do a foldathon 
    we run internal contests at the same time to coincide with the event

post edited by Xavier Zepherious - 2013/11/03 00:58:29

Primes found     Affiliate Code:YN2AHK39LH

Viper97
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: CC 2014 Discussions 2013/11/03 04:50:32 (permalink)
    If the internal contests are strictly with our team and not a part of the CC at all.  I'm in.  If in any way it becomes part of the CC I'll decline to participate and either as pointed out by AB, fold for a non-participating CC team or switch my rigs over to BOINC during that time frame.

texinga
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: CC 2014 Discussions 2013/11/03 05:33:34 (permalink)
    I just want to get something clear in my mind.  I've read (several times) from Xavier's posts that "recruitment (tit-for-tat)" was "not to be allowed" from discussion in the CC 2013 Captains forum.  Was there Captains' agreement to that rule?

Adak1
    Re: CC 2014 Discussions 2013/11/03 06:02:54 (permalink)
    @Xavier:
    I just did a full search of the entire Captain's forum, main thread. The term "tit-for-tat", (with or without hyphens, and in either uppercase or lowercase), is not there. Look for yourself.

This year's CC race had more teams, threatened by more teams, (in close proximity, by percentage), than ever before. More teams were passed by number, than every before, as well. That is not my opinion, it is a fact. Count the passes up and see for yourself.

OCF won the race, because I worked for 4 months to recruit racers (old and new, from inside OCF and from outside), and my team rallied together very solidly, with some very enthusiastic outside folders, joining in.

Onward to the 2014 race format:

You have resources here, that most teams do not. I won't commit to a race format, that we can't get reliable support for. If you have that, or expect to have it, be sure to mention it at the first Captain's meeting. That's very important to be known before any race formats are decided. If you want to have multiple races going on, then it's absolutely critical to have the support for it "signed up", before we decide on a final race format.

This year, I'd like to do something different. We have the idea** of a non-handicap race with groups of teams banding together to form approximately equal teams. If these teams could be made approximately equal, that sounds like a format idea that should be pursued.

Do you like this idea? 

**It's not my idea, don't worry. <lol>

post edited by Adak1 - 2013/11/03 06:43:56
    jinihammerer
    FTW Member
    Re: CC 2014 Discussions 2013/11/03 07:19:04 (permalink)
    I am with viper on this if we do CC this year I'll flip my team over to my e-cig team for the duration of CC. They are a small team thats folding just to fold.

Adak1
    Re: CC 2014 Discussions 2013/11/03 07:36:15 (permalink)
    Xavier:

we visit fold for [H] yet we got no help from [H]
     WHY? PREY TELL

When EVGA first threatened, and then passed [H] for the #1 team in FAH, there were some EVGA-centered comments made, which [H] members read, and took strong exception to. It's been a few years, but iirc, a few of them which disparaged [H], were copied into posts on [H]'s forum, by [H]'s members. It had the effect of whipping up the [H]orde, to greater folding efforts.

There is also a natural "Big Corporate team" vs. "Big Non-Corporate team" element involved, as well - EVGA bucks program, and all that.

I don't know how strong this feeling is today. This was from years ago. You should go to their forum, and ask. I certainly don't speak for the [H]orde. In my opinion, you won't find a more helpful and dedicated folding team, than [H].

One example, they found a way to overclock 4P boards - not all boards, but some of them. If you do it wrong however (and it's technical), you can quickly turn your $600 mobo into a paper-weight - useless. Well, sure enough, one of my OCF teammates did just that! Tear from [H], then took his own board, and risked it, to find a way to bring back the board from my teammate. It took about a week or two to succeed.

That is quite extraordinary, but that is what you find on [H].

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 9
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile