EVGA

Brand new GTX 1080 FTW Hybrid Black screen on first boot, GPU error code

Author
The Rudster
  • Total Posts : 9
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/10/20 01:30:26 (permalink)
So bit of back story, I am a computer and mobile engineering student who relies heavily on my system including GPU for data crunching. I also have a habit of buying brand new hardware that is just down right DOA. Whether it was my a monitor I bought 6 months ago, my motherboard 3 years ago, Laptop I ordered for my sister from Gigabyte, HDD's, you name it. For that reason I only ever buy what I consider the most reliable hardware with good customer service (Hence why I went EVGA again) Now 5 months ago, My EVGA GTX 780 Classified died. Still within 2 months of warranty so I send it in for RMA, 3 weeks later I get an EVGA GTX 780 ti Classified Reference as a replacement, Big +1 to EVGA for the upgrade even if it's a reference classified. Anyway my 4 month old laptop died (Battery charging circuit dies) so I returned it and got a refund in store credit. Held out on buying a replacement as I wasn't sure what I would replace it with when my GTX 780 ti Classified that I received also died. Crippling my system. Out of warranty so I bite the bullet and order a GTX 1080 FTW Hybrid on Monday for $1,300(Live in NZ so prices are always high) . Wanted something I knew would stay cool and reliable, Also gave me a reason to upgrade. Arrived Wednesday, plugged it in, black screen. Whatever, I have an exam, I'll problem shoot it once I'm back in the evening.

Come last night, Home after exam, throw in a GTX 950 along side 1080 and the system boots but no video from the 1080, 950 happily displaying windows. Update drivers, no change, clean install, nothing. Boot Gentoo installation, nothing, Ubuntu Live CD, Nothing. Finally after clearing the cmos for about the 6th time, It boots with just the 1080 in Windows and it's running fine. Burn in tests all fine. Turbo's to just over 2GHz with no artifacts or crashing. Final test, A work unit with Folding at Home. Takes just over an hour with a decent score of 800kPPD. Label the system stable so far, Shut it down, Reinstall case fans and close the case up, boot, Black screen. At this point it's 3am so turn it off and go to sleep.

Come today, Pull the GPU out, Throw it in a test bench. Same problem, Will boot with on board plugged into the monitor but no signal from 1080. Getting desperate, gather as much information I can. Both systems reporting Error code 43 for the GTX 1080, Windows 7 and Windows 10. Both systems boot with a second GPU or on board plugged in. Only once have I seen the 1080 work and when it did, It did very well. Both bios's have been tested on the GPU, Both systems have the exact same issues with this card. I received the last one in the country so getting a direct replacement through the wholesaler will take some time. I really want to avoid RMAing a brand new card since A, it will cost me to ship it to Asian, B, It will also take a chunk of time out of my life that I can't afford, especially with Exams and projects ending these coming weeks and C, I don't want to receive a refurbished 1080 that might have been beaten up considering it would be replacing a Brand New out of the box card. I know the card can work as it has once and desperately need to get this system up and running. Does anyone know anything that I have not tried that might fix this? I have messed with Legacy settings in bios, changing the config, updating the bios to the latest version. Nothing I try seems to make this card run. When it is the only card plugged in with no post at all with the error code of one long beep and 3 short beeps noting the system can't initialize the GPU.

Specs
Z87-WS
Intel i7 4770k stock clock
GTX 1080
SilverStone 1200W Strider Gold PSU (Tested for issues and no spikes or drops under load)
3 Monitors
2x Samsung 850 EVO SSD's
5x WD Black drives

Test bench
H170m-PLUS
Intel i5 6600
Zalmon Gold 700W PSU
M.2 SSD

Just to cover all bases, Been building systems for 7+ years and my father owns and founded a Computer Systems supply and repair business that has existed since 1999, He also was unable to problem shoot this card.

Any help that doesn't point to getting a refurbished card as a replacement would be a great help
Thank you
Rudster
post edited by The Rudster - 2016/10/20 01:58:06

6 Replies Related Threads

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49170
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Brand new GTX 1080 FTW Hybrid Black screen on first boot, GPU error code 2016/10/20 01:45:21 (permalink)
    Replacements within the first 30 days of purchase are brand new in box cards.
    post edited by pcmaster00 - 2016/10/20 02:17:44
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: Brand new GTX 1080 FTW Hybrid Black screen on first boot, GPU error code 2016/10/20 01:47:27 (permalink)
    The Rudster
    So bit of back story, I am a computer and mobile engineering student who relies heavily on my system including GPU for data crunching. I also have a habit of buying brand new hardware that is just down right DOA. Whether it was my a monitor I bought 6 months ago, my motherboard 3 years ago, Laptop I ordered for my sister from Gigabyte, HDD's, you name it. For that reason I only ever buy what I consider the most reliable hardware with good customer service (Hence why I went EVGA again) Now 5 months ago, My EVGA GTX 780 Classified died. Still within 2 months of warranty so I send it in for RMA, 3 weeks later I get an EVGA GTX 780 ti Classified Reference as a replacement, Big +1 to EVGA for the upgrade even if it's a reference classified. Anyway my 4 month old laptop died (Battery charging circuit dies) so I returned it and got a refund in store credit. Held out on buying a replacement as I wasn't sure what I would replace it with when my GTX 780 ti Classified that I received also died. Crippling my system. Out of warranty so I bite the bullet and order a GTX 1080 FTW Hybrid on Monday for $1,300(Live in NZ so prices are always high) . Wanted something I knew would stay cool and reliable, Also gave me a reason to upgrade. Arrived Wednesday, plugged it in, black screen. Whatever, I have an exam, I'll problem shoot it once I'm back in the evening.

Come last night, Home after exam, throw in a GTX 950 along side 1080 and the system boots but no video from the 1080, 950 happily displaying windows. Update drivers, no change, clean install, nothing. Boot Gentoo installation, nothing, Ubuntu Live CD, Nothing. Finally after clearing the cmos for about the 6th time, It boots with just the 1080 in Windows and it's running fine. Burn in tests all fine. Turbo's to just over 2GHz with no artifacts or crashing. Final test, A work unit with . Takes just over an hour with a decent score of 800kPPD. Label the system stable so far, Shut it down, Reinstall case fans and close the case up, boot, Black screen. At this point it's 3am so turn it off and go to sleep.

Come today, Pull the GPU out, Throw it in a test bench. Same problem, Will boot with on board plugged into the monitor but no signal from 1080. Getting desperate, gather as much information I can. Both systems reporting Error code 43 for the GTX 1080, Windows 7 and Windows 10. Both systems boot with a second GPU or on board plugged in. Only once have I seen the 1080 work and when it did, It did very well. Both bios's have been tested on the GPU, Both systems have the exact same issues with this card. I received the last one in the country so getting a direct replacement through the wholesaler will take some time. I really want to avoid RMAing a brand new card since A, it will cost me to ship it to Asian, B, It will also take a chunk of time out of my life that I can't afford, especially with Exams and projects ending these coming weeks and C, I don't want to receive a refurbished 1080 that might have been beaten up considering it would be replacing a Brand New out of the box card. I know the card can work as it has once and desperately need to get this system up and running. Does anyone know anything that I have not tried that might fix this? I have messed with Legacy settings in bios, changing the config, updating the bios to the latest version. Nothing I try seems to make this card run. When it is the only card plugged in with no post at all with the error code of one long beep and 3 short beeps noting the system can't initialize the GPU.

Specs
    Z87-WS
    Intel i7 4770k stock clock
    GTX 1080
    SilverStone 1200W Strider Gold PSU (Tested for issues and no spikes or drops under load)
    3 Monitors
    2x Samsung 850 EVO SSD's
    5x WD Black drives

Test bench
    H170m-PLUS
    Intel i5 6600
    Zalmon Gold 700W PSU
    M.2 SSD

Just to cover all bases, Been building systems for 7+ years and my father owns and founded a Computer Systems supply and repair business that has existed since 1999, He also was unable to problem shoot this card.

Any help that doesn't point to getting a refurbished card as a replacement would be a great help
    Thank you
    Rudster

Reads like you got a defective GPU. First thing I'd do is establish a baseline within your first 30 days of purchase with a support ticket for warranty purposes in an effort to ensure you get a new GPU. You've pretty much established by getting the same error condition in two separate systems that it is the GPU. You could try reflashing the BIOS on the GPU.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

pcmaster00
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2752
    • Ribbons : 51
    Re: Brand new GTX 1080 FTW Hybrid Black screen on first boot, GPU error code 2016/10/20 01:55:17 (permalink)
    Based on your description here and all the extensive testing you have done, I am in agreement that it sounds like the card is the issue.  I would advise that you get a support ticket open or call your regional EVGA office to address this problem.  As Sajin mentioned, RMA replacement requests within 30 days of purchase are replaced with a new product.

http://www.evga.com/about/contactus/

EVGA!!! TAKE CARE OF MY MATES!!!!   Heatware
    Antec Twelve Hundred, Corsair HX1000, GigaByte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH, Intel i7 3770k, 2x EVGA GTX770 2770-KR,
    16GB Corsair Vengance CMZ16GX3M2A1600C9, SSD: 1x OCZ Vertex 3 120GB, 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda LP,
    All HDDs in trayless bays, 6x LG 24x DVD-RW drives, 3x Acer 22" V223W monitors

The Rudster
    Re: Brand new GTX 1080 FTW Hybrid Black screen on first boot, GPU error code 2016/10/20 01:59:38 (permalink)
    Sajin

Can you confirm that for outside of the states and Europe? Generally get shafted on replacements out here in New Zealand though I know EVGA generally treats their customers right
    pcmaster00
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2752
    • Ribbons : 51
    Re: Brand new GTX 1080 FTW Hybrid Black screen on first boot, GPU error code 2016/10/20 02:16:44 (permalink)
    The Rudster
    Sajin

Can you confirm that for outside of the states and Europe? Generally get shafted on replacements out here in New Zealand though I know EVGA generally treats their customers right

The policy around less than 30 days from date of purchase being a new replacement applies to AU and NZ from my best information available.  I would recommend emailing to the support team for your region below for 110% confirmation though.
    One thing I will correct though is that the replacement product is new in the US and Europe for sure, but it is not always in a retail "new in box".  Some times those boxes aren't available and it may be in a generic box, but the replacements are new products.

EVGA!!! TAKE CARE OF MY MATES!!!!   Heatware
    Antec Twelve Hundred, Corsair HX1000, GigaByte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH, Intel i7 3770k, 2x EVGA GTX770 2770-KR,
    16GB Corsair Vengance CMZ16GX3M2A1600C9, SSD: 1x OCZ Vertex 3 120GB, 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda LP,
    All HDDs in trayless bays, 6x LG 24x DVD-RW drives, 3x Acer 22" V223W monitors

The Rudster
    Re: Brand new GTX 1080 FTW Hybrid Black screen on first boot, GPU error code 2016/10/20 02:57:03 (permalink)
    pcmaster00
    The Rudster
    Sajin

The policy around less than 30 days from date of purchase being a new replacement applies to AU and NZ from my best information available.  I would recommend emailing to the support team for your region below for 110% confirmation though.
    • Support email:&nbsp
    One thing I will correct though is that the replacement product is new in the US and Europe for sure, but it is not always in a retail "new in box".  Some times those boxes aren't available and it may be in a generic box, but the replacements are new products.

Ok thank you for that information, I'll contact Taiwan support but I'll also go through my contact at my wholesaler. If there is a new shipment coming in soon, it will be faster just to go through them, Sadly this FTW Hybrid was the very last card in stock in the country so going through them is dependent on how long before EVGA can send new stock to the country, That's if the wholesaler plans to restock... Small market so high end cards often don't sell well (Took them 7 months to get rid of their 780 ti K|ngp|n stock, Not one sold at retail price)
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile