EVGA

Black screen buzzing gtx 980

Author
phoenix45
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/04/25 21:58:23 (permalink)
I had previously made a post about my video card crashing to a black screen with a buzzing noise; I gave up and RMAd it to newegg. I got another brand new card from them and it is doing the same exact thing. The power supply is the EVGA supernova gold. The AMD card I have to keep tossing back in runs fine. What could possibly be causing this? I'm at a loss and I don't think RMAing it yet again will do anything. 

3 Replies Related Threads

bsmegreg
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1604
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: Black screen buzzing gtx 980 2015/04/25 22:39:34 (permalink)
    Can you elaborate more on when the issue occurs and a link to the last issue.

phoenix45
    • Total Posts : 3
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: Black screen buzzing gtx 980 2015/04/26 07:02:41 (permalink)
    bsmegreg
    Can you elaborate more on when the issue occurs and a link to the last issue.

First post since it isn't letting me link it -"I just purchased the GTX 980 ftw edition off newegg 2 weeks ago to replace the r9 295x2 I had to return. I am getting a crash to a black screen with buzzing coming from the speakers; this is occurring during heroes of the storm and wow...I played smite, secret world and diablo fine without the crash and ran benchmarks such as heaven and valley. My temperature of my cpu and gpu are good. Is there anything I can do to stop it from crashing it runs great when it doesn't black screen or do I have no choice but to RMA? 
    system:
    Evga supernova 850w gold 220-G2-0850-XR
    Intel i5-3570k 3.4 GHz
    8g G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB
    EVGA 04G-P4-2986-KR GeForce GTX 980
    asrock extreme 6 z77
    Windows 7
    Monitor (don't know if it matters) ASUS PB Series PB278Q"

I cleaned all the drivers and redid them more than once and tried just about everything under the sun (such as downclocking since its a ftw edition) and nothing seems to help it. The power supply was able to run a r9 295x2; so I don't think it is that since it is 350 watts over the required for this card. It happens at random, sometimes it can go for hours without occurring and then it can happen within 5 minutes of a previous crash. Heroes of the Storm is pretty notorious for crashing it but I ran Heaven and Valley fine; it has crashed in Wow and Smite too (previous card, I just put the new one in yesterday). The system locks up and doesn't recover and has to be hard restarted; I'm not getting a blue screen with an error. It runs great when it's not crashing and locking to that black screen.
    post edited by phoenix45 - 2015/04/26 07:05:58
    bsmegreg
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1604
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: Black screen buzzing gtx 980 2015/04/26 10:57:47 (permalink)
    I'm not really aware of a way to fix the drivers crashing and causing a complete PC breakdown like this.  So what I want you to do is open a ticket with EVGA for the card.

I want you to say something like,
         "Hello, I am experiencing a black screen while playing certain games like Hero's of the Storm and WoW, these blackscreens require a hard reboot and produce a large buzzing sound in my audio.  I have tried messing with the drivers and am confident its not my PSU/CPU/HDD/MoBo.  These crashes only occur in certain games after playing for a short period of time.  Is there anything I should try or am I out of luck."

Just go here and submit a ticket and fill in your PC specs
    http://www.evga.com/support/ticket/support.aspx

Goodluck and tell me what they say

post edited by bsmegreg - 2015/04/26 11:04:15

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile