Black screen and fuzzy video using display port with 980 and acer xb270hu

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Bert Macklin
  • Total Posts : 17
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/05/09 19:47:29 (permalink)
So I recently purchased a gtx 980 (04G-P4-1982-KR) and the new Acer XB270HU monitor.  That is the 27", 1440p, 144Hz g-sync one.

Ever since I started using this monitor (more specifically, the display port) I have been having random screen flashing.  It only happens once every few hours, but there is never any evidence that it happened.  The drivers did not crash, there is nothing in the event log.  It seems like it is a lower level hardware issue.  Also, while this is rarer, the screen sometimes gets fuzzy, like its showing 2 offset images.  I'm not sure how to describe it.  Here are some rough pictures I took.  It is most apparent in text.

I had to take pictures because if I take a screen shot, once I reboot (which corrects the fuzziness) the picture I took are normal.
Through all of this, my secondary monitor on DVI never has either issue, and when booting up, it is the main monitor, the display port one not even connecting until windows boots.

I've been looking all over to find a solution but so far no luck.  I am using the latest driver, 350.12.  I heard it could be a bios problem, contacted evga support, got the updates bios so I am now running 84.04.31.00.80, still happening.  Most recently I learned of an issue with most display port cables having pin 20 connected, when it shouldn't be.  It sounds like this should mostly be for boot up and sleep issues, but not sure if any of the cables I have are VESA compliant. (they appear to have pin 20 in place though) 

Just to cover my bases, I have tried other monitors and display port cables.  DVI and hdmi connections are fine, display port seems to be the root issue, no matter the cables.
I'm honestly really frustrated.  I've spent almost $1500 on these two items, top of the line, and they aren't working right.  

Does anyone have any ideas short of switching to an AMD card and getting a free sync monitor?  I really don't want to, but what left is there?  I spent too much money for deal with a broken setup.

Edited to add pictures of the fuzziness.

post edited by Bert Macklin - 2015/05/09 20:01:49

Attached Image(s)

38 Replies Related Threads

Bert Macklin
    Re: Black screen and fuzzy video using display port with 980 and acer xb270hu 2015/05/11 06:36:55 (permalink)
    Has no one else seen this fuzzing happen?
    CoercionShaman
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1788
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Black screen and fuzzy video using display port with 980 and acer xb270hu 2015/05/11 06:44:08 (permalink)
    So, you are having the same DP issues with different monitors?

I bought that monitor and returned it because of other QC issues.

What use is knowledge if there is no understanding?~Stobaeus
    CoercionShaman
    FTW Member
    Re: Black screen and fuzzy video using display port with 980 and acer xb270hu 2015/05/11 07:02:04 (permalink)
    The monitor boot order is normal.  In fact see:

http://forums.evga.com/FindPost/2334269

255killer
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 171
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Black screen and fuzzy video using display port with 980 and acer xb270hu 2015/05/11 08:14:02 (permalink)
    Op, I own this same monitor and can say the boot order is indeed normal. However I own 980 classifieds and see no issues with the Display Port. With your given details I can't say for sure if it's your card or monitor. The only thing you can do is hook up another monitor to the Display Port and see it has the same issue. My sample of this monitor is excellent and and I am extremely pleased with it, however the Display Port cable it came with was of poor quality and currently using a cable matters 6ft gold plated cable purchased from Amazon.
    EVGA_James
    EVGA Product Manager
    • Total Posts : 1026
    Re: Black screen and fuzzy video using display port with 980 and acer xb270hu 2015/05/11 09:49:28 (permalink)
    I would strongly recommend testing either your monitor with a different DP cable or video card, or testing with a different monitor all together using the DP. 

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102291
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: Black screen and fuzzy video using display port with 980 and acer xb270hu 2015/05/11 09:53:20 (permalink)
    EVGATech_JamesL
    I would strongly recommend testing either your monitor with a different DP cable or video card, or testing with a different monitor all together using the DP. 

+1. That almost looks like a cable problem. Make sure you're using a good quality DP cable.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

CoercionShaman
    FTW Member
    Re: Black screen and fuzzy video using display port with 980 and acer xb270hu 2015/05/11 10:29:07 (permalink)
    Bert Macklin

Just to cover my bases, I have tried other monitors and display port cables.  DVI and hdmi connections are fine, display port seems to be the root issue, no matter the cables.
    I'm honestly really frustrated.  I've spent almost $1500 on these two items, top of the line, and they aren't working right.  

OP said he has tried other cables and monitors.  I would agree that if can place his old video card back in his rig, that would allow him to narrow it down to the card.

Bert Macklin
    Re: Black screen and fuzzy video using display port with 980 and acer xb270hu 2015/05/11 17:14:25 (permalink)
    Thanks for the input everyone.  I'm going to try a few different setups the next few days but I wont have as much time to sit and wait for things to mess up.  I'll post more once I test a few things.  

Also for the cable, I am using a cable matters cable from Amazon as well as the primary cable.  Though it is a 10 foot cable.  I read somewhere that there can be signal issues in DP cables over 2 meters... anyone know if there is truth to that?
    Bert Macklin
    Re: Black screen and fuzzy video using display port with 980 and acer xb270hu 2015/05/12 16:55:38 (permalink)
    Trying a different monitor tonight.  Though its just a 60Hz 1080p so it it has anything to do with the bandwidth or g-sync, this will not do anything.

Something possibly worth noting from last night.  I left my secondary monitor unplugged, and didn't have any issues.  So either that did something, or it just didn't happen in that time.

Trying to figure out this random problem before my return windows expire is going to be an issue...
    Bert Macklin
    Re: Black screen and fuzzy video using display port with 980 and acer xb270hu 2015/05/13 17:48:12 (permalink)
    Running more tests tonight, should narrow it down.

Found something interesting though.
    http://www.testufo.com/#test=interlace&count=3&background=FFFFFF&pps=60&direction=horiz&interleave=2

For me this displayed 2 rows, one at 144Hz and one at 72Hz.  The second row looks exactly what happens when the "fuzziness" occurs.  So is it an interlacing issue?  What would cause that and how could it be fixed?
    Toolguns
    • Total Posts : 43
    Re: Black screen and fuzzy video using display port with 980 and acer xb270hu 2015/06/02 07:06:13 (permalink)
    Bert -
    I'm having the same issue and I've only had my Xb270hu for 4 days.
    Can you let me know if you figure out what it was?

I'm also using a cable matters DP Cable - (Mini DP to DP) with GTX 690 with an Alienware Aurora R3.

What type of MOBO do you have?
    Let me know if you figure this problem out, would be appreciated since I saw your picture and I have the exact issue come up from time to time!

Bert Macklin
    Running more tests tonight, should narrow it down.

Found something interesting though.

For me this displayed 2 rows, one at 144Hz and one at 72Hz.  The second row looks exactly what happens when the "fuzziness" occurs.  So is it an interlacing issue?  What would cause that and how could it be fixed?

chrisdglong
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 7220
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: Black screen and fuzzy video using display port with 980 and acer xb270hu 2015/06/02 07:09:21 (permalink)
    Bert Macklin
    Thanks for the input everyone.  I'm going to try a few different setups the next few days but I wont have as much time to sit and wait for things to mess up.  I'll post more once I test a few things.  

Also for the cable, I am using a cable matters cable from Amazon as well as the primary cable.  Though it is a 10 foot cable.  I read somewhere that there can be signal issues in DP cables over 2 meters... anyone know if there is truth to that?

Yup, your cable is too long. I found this out the hard way as well. Guys, you cannot use a 10 foot DP cable. I tried this on my ROG Swift and could not get 144hz to work with a resolution of 2560x1440. The shop that I bought it at, won't shop there again, charged me 25% restocking fee. However, I went home and used the DP cable that came with the monitor and everything worked great. 
    post edited by chrisdglong - 2015/06/02 07:12:26
    Stephen427
    • Total Posts : 10
    Re: Black screen and fuzzy video using display port with 980 and acer xb270hu 2015/06/02 07:44:53 (permalink)
    I was having the same problem on a 780ti. on another 144hz 1080p monitor constantly issue. Then I got a XB270HU had problem once within 4 days I had it and then never again. I had tried different DP cables to. This was time I send my 780ti to evga, they send me a 980 and suddenly It was constantly the same problem on the XB270HU. I cancelled my RMA and stuck with my 780ti and havnt had my problem forawhile now I dont know why. 

Im soon switching over to a 980ti I hope this problem will not persist.. It seems more than just a cable issue or monitor.
    chrisdglong
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Black screen and fuzzy video using display port with 980 and acer xb270hu 2015/06/02 08:19:40 (permalink)
    Stephen427
    I was having the same problem on a 780ti. on another 144hz 1080p monitor constantly issue. Then I got a XB270HU had problem once within 4 days I had it and then never again. I had tried different DP cables to. This was time I send my 780ti to evga, they send me a 980 and suddenly It was constantly the same problem on the XB270HU. I cancelled my RMA and stuck with my 780ti and havnt had my problem forawhile now I dont know why. 

Im soon switching over to a 980ti I hope this problem will not persist.. It seems more than just a cable issue or monitor.

Maybe so, but I can tell you that using a ten foot DP cable with not work correctly. 
    Stephen427
    • Total Posts : 10
    Re: Black screen and fuzzy video using display port with 980 and acer xb270hu 2015/06/02 08:29:18 (permalink)
    chrisdglong
    Stephen427

Maybe so, but I can tell you that using a ten foot DP cable with not work correctly. 

I dont use such long cables my pc is right next to my monitor. The issue persisted with different short cables. Cant say it wont help for others this issue was very strange to me for a long time beceuse nobody had it. I still dont understand im feeling genuinly sorry for the people expierince this.. As their is no simple fix from what ive found. Other than hope it goes away?.
    buzzbr
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: Black screen and fuzzy video using display port with 980 and acer xb270hu 2015/06/02 08:56:20 (permalink)
    I was having this same issue with the 980 SC and the XB270H model Acer. It was seemingly random and would alternate between the fuzziness and no signal. And it would seem to get better when I'd wiggle the cable around like a pair of rabbit ears on an old tv. Now it simply displays no signal except the usual boot-up splash screens, and up to 1080p 60Hz in safe mode or with Nvidia drivers uninstalled through displayport. Seems to start having problems once it tries to use higher-level features like higher refresh rates and G-SYNC.

For my issue, it's no doubt the fault of the junkshow displayport cable Acer included with the monitor. I've got a Cable Matters coming from Amazon tomorrow, and I think I'll drop by Micro Center tonight and grab their house brand displayport cable just to confirm there's no other issues besides the cable.

For the record, I've tried all three displayports on the card with the same results, and a DVI-connected older 1080p 60Hz monitor works without issue. I just wish the old monitor or any other display I own had a displayport so I could rule out any issues with the card itself. I'd rather not buy a converter just to run a test.

I'll post again when I try my new cables.
    Toolguns
    Re: Black screen and fuzzy video using display port with 980 and acer xb270hu 2015/06/02 11:58:33 (permalink)
    Chris,
    How long is the DP you are currently using?
    Mine is 6 feet long and I'm not sure if that's what's causing me problems...
    It seems to be Ok, but every once in awhile this fuzziness appears.
    I wonder if the chord is becoming loose when/if the monitor or desk wobbles.

chrisdglong
    Bert Macklin

Yup, your cable is too long. I found this out the hard way as well. Guys, you cannot use a 10 foot DP cable. I tried this on my ROG Swift and could not get 144hz to work with a resolution of 2560x1440. The shop that I bought it at, won't shop there again, charged me 25% restocking fee. However, I went home and used the DP cable that came with the monitor and everything worked great. 

chrisdglong
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Black screen and fuzzy video using display port with 980 and acer xb270hu 2015/06/02 12:29:30 (permalink)
    Toolguns
    Chris,

6ft is fine. Actually, I believe that is the standard length for DP cords, it is the length that comes with monitors. It could also be the port on the card, or monitor. 

255killer
    Op, I own this same monitor and can say the boot order is indeed normal. However I own 980 classifieds and see no issues with the Display Port. With your given details I can't say for sure if it's your card or monitor. The only thing you can do is hook up another monitor to the Display Port and see it has the same issue. My sample of this monitor is excellent and and I am extremely pleased with it, however the Display Port cable it came with was of poor quality and currently using a cable matters 6ft gold plated cable purchased from Amazon.

You do know the "gold plated" marketing scheme is false with a digital cable, right? Digital is either received, or not received. It isn't like analog... Monster is notorious for selling myths with their marketing of cables. 
    post edited by chrisdglong - 2015/06/02 12:34:50
    Toolguns
    Re: Black screen and fuzzy video using display port with 980 and acer xb270hu 2015/06/02 14:25:33 (permalink)
    Ok - Well I guess I while have to pay close attention to my XB270HU.
    I love the Monitor - It looks like a pixel perfect screen and IPS glow is there, but doesn't bother me while gaming.

I just need to make sure I return the thing if it's faulty before the 30 day Window is up.

chrisdglong
    Toolguns
    Chris,

6ft is fine. Actually, I believe that is the standard length for DP cords, it is the length that comes with monitors. It could also be the port on the card, or monitor. 

255killer

You do know the "gold plated" marketing scheme is false with a digital cable, right? Digital is either received, or not received. It isn't like analog... Monster is notorious for selling myths with their marketing of cables. 

Bert Macklin
    Re: Black screen and fuzzy video using display port with 980 and acer xb270hu 2015/06/02 18:20:28 (permalink)
    A shorter cable fixed the issue for me.  I even tried another of the same monitor.  Two different 3m cable gave me issues.  As soon as I dropped to a 2m, haven't seen the fuzziness since.  
    Toolguns
    Re: Black screen and fuzzy video using display port with 980 and acer xb270hu 2015/06/02 19:59:54 (permalink)
    Nice! You know I think the issue for me was the mini dp end of the cable on my gtx690 was a little loose. I haven't had the problem for a few days, but I will watch closely.
    chrisdglong
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    Re: Black screen and fuzzy video using display port with 980 and acer xb270hu 2015/06/02 20:21:18 (permalink)
    Bert Macklin
    A shorter cable fixed the issue for me.  I even tried another of the same monitor.  Two different 3m cable gave me issues.  As soon as I dropped to a 2m, haven't seen the fuzziness since.  

I had a ten foot DP cable hooked up to my 144Hz 2560x1440 display and it would only let me select 60Hz. DP doesn't work well with those long cables. Glad to hear it worked for you.
    stalinx20
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4977
    Re: Black screen and fuzzy video using display port with 980 and acer xb270hu 2015/06/03 04:10:26 (permalink)
    Seems like the creators of displayport have a lot of work to do. What good is a 10ft cable then if it doesnt work? Seems like you should just go HDMI then, even though you won't get the refresh rate you want. What difference does it make if a 10ft cable is going to lock you at a certain refresh rate where as HDMI will give you the same results but able to use a longer cable... Definatelly needs to be fixed.

EVGA X79 Dark
    2080 Black edition
    EVGA 1000 gold PSU (Gold)
    4820K CPU
    16x G-skill
    buzzbr
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: Black screen and fuzzy video using display port with 980 and acer xb270hu 2015/06/03 09:30:40 (permalink)
    My issue was fixed with a 6ft displayport cable from Micro Center. Just as I suspected, it was the crappy cable Acer included with the monitor causing the fuzziness and signal loss. Seems like displayport cable manufacturers have serious QC issues to iron out. And as a poster said earlier, it seems pretty stupid to have an a/v technology limited to 6ft cables with glass jaws.

I have a 10ft cable coming today in the mail. I'm going to try it just to see what happens. If, as many have said, it truly can't do over 60Hz, it's going back, and I will be much more wary of displayport as a technology going forward. I just don't know if high refresh rates for HD or 4K visuals is worth all this hassle.
    lifesbane
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re: Black screen and fuzzy video using display port with 980 and acer xb270hu 2015/07/14 19:07:53 (permalink)
    You don't know how happy I am to find this thread.  I am having the exact same problem.  I just got a GTX 980ti 06G-P4-4995-KR and Acer XB2770.  I've been having the random screen flashes as well - see this video for an example for anyone else who stumbles on this thread with the same issues: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlLxjztzaw0 (1 second, and at 23 seconds).

Then just today, I had the same fuzzy screen issue happen as in the pictures above.  At first I tried power cycling the monitor but it was still there, but then I noticed the OSD looked fine when it was up.  I tried dropping the refresh rate from 144 to 120 in the NVIDIA control panel, and it hung at a black screen for a few seconds, and came back up fixed, but with Windows reporting an NVIDIA driver crash.  My USB wi-fi stopped working at about the same time too, but that could be coincidental.

I've restarted and haven't seen the fuzzy screen again, but the black flashing has gotten really frequent -- probably 15-20 times over the last 30 minutes.  I am also using the DP cable included with the monitor (I think it's only about 6 feet), but I have another 6ft one on order from Amazon, and it's one of the officially listed cables from DisplayPort.org, so I'm really hoping this is just a crappy cable issue.

With the other build quality issues on this monitor, it really wouldn't surprise me if the cable was extra crappy as well.
    dbkams
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 394
    Re: Black screen and fuzzy video using display port with 980 and acer xb270hu 2015/07/14 20:52:18 (permalink)
    im using an ASUS ROG Swift and get this EXACT same thing occasionally and ive tested 4 different cables in every port on my 2 video cards

i WILL say however that with the latest hotfix drivers i havent seen this happen once

System:
    i7 7700k @ 4.5
    Asus ROG Maximus IX Apex
    2x Asus GTX 1080 STRIX
    32gb G.SKILL TridentZ 3200mhz
    Corsair AX1200w PSU
    Asus ROG Swift 2560x1440 @ 165hz IPS
    Asus ROG Swift 2560x1440 @ 144hz TN
    passballtotucker
    • Total Posts : 9
    Re: Black screen and fuzzy video using display port with 980 and acer xb270hu 2015/07/16 21:43:25 (permalink)
    I have the exact same problem. It eventually went black then came back on with an "nvidia display driver stopped responding and recovered" message and the blurriness was gone. I did a print-screen to try to get a picture of it, but the picture looks fine now that the screen isn't blurry. Does that mean it isn't an issue with the graphics card at least? Also, I have a 980 ti SC acx 2.0+ w/ backplate and the rog swift.
    post edited by passballtotucker - 2015/07/16 21:57:56
    Deus-Rex
    • Total Posts : 53
    Re: Black screen and fuzzy video using display port with 980 and acer xb270hu 2015/07/17 01:59:37 (permalink)
    Huh, I was interested in this exact model when upgrading to a G-Sync monitor, I see I might need to aim a little higher after all.
    stalinx20
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4977
    Re: Black screen and fuzzy video using display port with 980 and acer xb270hu 2015/07/17 05:49:48 (permalink)
    passballtotucker
    I have the exact same problem. It eventually went black then came back on with an "nvidia display driver stopped responding and recovered" message and the blurriness was gone. I did a print-screen to try to get a picture of it, but the picture looks fine now that the screen isn't blurry. Does that mean it isn't an issue with the graphics card at least? Also, I have a 980 ti SC acx 2.0+ w/ backplate and the rog swift.

It may not be the cable, but you may have a couple issues with TDR, but far off the amount of issues that people with 980 FTW were experiencing.

EVGA X79 Dark
    2080 Black edition
    EVGA 1000 gold PSU (Gold)
    4820K CPU
    16x G-skill
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile