Black Screen and GPU fan @ max speed

Author
NunoMG
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/04/07 06:09:35 (permalink)
Hi fellows,

Recently I started to experienced black screens and GPU fan at max speed, mostly, while in game, which forces me a hard reboot.
I downgraded my OS from W10 to W7, expecting this issue stoped, once i never had this problem in W7, but now the problem persist.
I disassembled all components to clear the dust, as i do very often, and assembled everything again, with no positive results, wich makes me think that isn´t a temp issue.

My system is:
Board: MaximusIVExtreme w Intel 2600k @3.4Mhz (w/o OC)
GPU: EVGA GTX780 w/ latest nvidia drivers and never was OC
Memory: 8Gb G-skill F3-12800CL7-4GBXH
Sound: SB X-Fi fatality pro
PSU: Corsair TX850

Any help would be appreciated.
I´m start praying for my GPU.

15 Replies Related Threads

NunoMG
    Re: Black Screen and GPU fan @ max speed 2016/04/07 10:16:03 (permalink)
    EVGATech_KevinS

Hello NunoMG,

I apologize for the inconvenience, for the issue your having. It may be the video card that is starting to failed.  Also the issue your having can be cause by the power supply, so if possible try to reseat the video card, put it into another pci-e slot and if you have another video card to put into your current system or put the video card onto another computer so we can verify that is the cause of the issue.

hi Kevin,

Thanks for your help,

I hope you´re certainly wrong about GPU failure. Today i remembered to change psu supply cables, once the psu have two pairs for pci-e. Then I´ll try to reseat the gpu into another slot. Lastly, i´ll change the gpu with another one that i´ve installed in my old computer. Thanks for your help.
    CaptainStabby
    • Total Posts : 13
    Re: Black Screen and GPU fan @ max speed 2016/04/07 20:05:19 (permalink)
    I had this exact same issue with my 2nd 770SC. this was my first crash with that card, then after that the card would randomly stop outputting signal and the monitors would drop into standby with no ability to wake. Only solution was to reboot.

My PSU is fine, all rails well within ATX spec and no decernable ripple.

My 1st 770SC started crashing with coloured screens, it became progressively worse & increasing frequency over time. Interestingly reading about the 364.72 WHQL driver I found several posts exhibiting the exact same issue.

hash_ said:
    BigYehudah said:Is there anyone getting Freezes/Crashes with a Gray, Brown, Yellow or Red Screen? I'm not keen on updating if they didn't fix this problem from 364.51. I'm running 361.91 and it's stable.

I'm having the same exact problem with the newer driver (version 364.72) ,it freezes to different color if i left ym system idle I'm now running version 361.75 with no such issues

1) Graphics card/GPU make and model:eVGA GTX 750 ti Superclocked
    2) Is this a driver regression? If yes, what was the last driver version which did not have this driver bug? 361.75
    3) Operating System (Please indicate if you are on the Windows 10 Insider Program):windows 7 ultimate 64 bit
    4) Is your graphics card manually overclocked/factory overclocked? not sure

I have the same exact issue with the freezing & different color screens. It locks everything display but I still have sound via game or skype etc. I have to hard reboot my PC in order to continue anything. Although mine has only been in some games that I play and has not occurred while idling. But it has been happening for a while and I actually initially thought it was my card just dying. So I take it there is no fix yet to this?

[link]https://forums.geforce.co.../post/4853953/#4853953[/link]

The first 770SC had no issues till the 900 series showed up, I am starting to wonder are these post maxwell release drivers, not intentionally, doing something to damage Kepler cards? My 2nd card last all of a month on 361.43 never overclocked & i7 2600k run at stock. @ support what was the last WHQL driver prior to the release of maxwell? I would like to run these when the 3rd 770 SC arrives.

To the OP monitor your PSU rails via the AI suite sensor recorder make sure your PSU is staying withing ATX specs and there aren't significant fluctuations.

+5v +4.75 V to +5.25 V 50 mV ripple
    +12v +11.40 V to +12.60 V 120 mV ripple
    +3.3v +3.135 V to +3.465 V 50 mV ripple

There will be vdroop under load so make sure you check these both at idle & under load.

i7 2600k - Asus Z68 Deluxe Gen3 - 16 GB Ripjaw 2133 C9 - Noctua NH-U12P SE2 - EVGA GTX 770 SC 2GB -
    XFX 750w Black Ed - Corsair Force 3 120GB - Seagate Constellation ES 1TB
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Black Screen and GPU fan @ max speed 2016/04/08 07:17:46 (permalink)
    Your ripple calculations above are most likely not correct. Voltmeters read RMS voltage which is an averaged voltage. It won't detect the highest and lowest values. Voltage fluctuations aren't really ripple calculations. If you want to calculate the ripple, the easiest way to get a measurement (although probably not terribly accurate either) is to do the same measurements with the volt meter in AC mode. The ripple will act like AC voltage and can be measured that way. ... Sort of.
    Not as good as an ocscilloscope, but better than subtracting between the two highest and lowest RMS voltage measurements.
    CaptainStabby
    • Total Posts : 13
    Re: Black Screen and GPU fan @ max speed 2016/04/08 18:18:56 (permalink)
    Those ripples are off the ATX spec sheets, not my calculations.

i7 2600k - Asus Z68 Deluxe Gen3 - 16 GB Ripjaw 2133 C9 - Noctua NH-U12P SE2 - EVGA GTX 770 SC 2GB -
    XFX 750w Black Ed - Corsair Force 3 120GB - Seagate Constellation ES 1TB
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21171
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Black Screen and GPU fan @ max speed 2016/04/08 18:42:43 (permalink)
    Oh, I thought you were providing your measurements taken during your troubleshooting episodes.
    NunoMG
    Re: Black Screen and GPU fan @ max speed 2016/04/11 11:34:46 (permalink)
    Hi guys,

After a couple of tests i´m still without a conclusive answer and I will explain:
    First of all I changed the supply cables, without any success!;
    Then I swapped the GPU with my old EVGA GTX550Ti, without any kind of freezes. (But I must consider, without any kind of knowlegde, that this GPU is less power demanding than GTX780);
    I also used my GTX780 in my old rig, with  much affraid because the lack of PSU power (Corsair VS450). Even so, without any freezes;
    I used again the GPU in another rig, this time in a high-end rig, with no freezes;
    Well, I can´t conclude which component is failing, because GTX550Ti doesn´t freezed the computer.

I´m afraid the change both PSU´s due the lack of corsair power to make this test, i´ll try to find out a psu from any friend.

Curiosly, the freezes only happens, when the monitor ?changes frequency? (in-game to menu, or, in-game to desktop), for example, in 3DMark, when test finishes, the freeze happens, while in test everything runs smoothly.

Thanks for your support!
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49167
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: Black Screen and GPU fan @ max speed 2016/04/11 15:05:34 (permalink)
    I'd just go ahead and try a new psu in your rig.
    post edited by Sajin - 2016/04/11 15:28:25
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Black Screen and GPU fan @ max speed 2016/04/11 15:28:53 (permalink)
    Finally I was able to edit my above post. Website wasn't allowing me to edit my posts once again.
    NunoMG
    Re: Black Screen and GPU fan @ max speed 2016/04/12 00:55:15 (permalink)
    Hi again fellows,

After read stabby´s post, I remembered to uninstall the latest nvidia drivers and installed an old one, which in case was 353.06.
    Et voilá... no more freezes, until now!!!

The problem remains in the latest nvidia drivers, which makes think what drivers should i install now. I´ll have to test every drivers from the latest until i find the proper driver.

How can I forgot that could be a software issue, made me doubt about reliable hardware, such corsair (apologize for publicity) and EVGA.

Thanks to you all, no exceptions, for your concern and help!
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Black Screen and GPU fan @ max speed 2016/04/12 08:35:32 (permalink)
    NunoMG
    Hi again fellows,

After read stabby´s post, I remembered to uninstall the latest nvidia drivers and installed an old one, which in case was 353.06.

The problem remains in the latest nvidia drivers, which makes think what drivers should i install now. I´ll have to test every drivers from the latest until i find the proper driver.

How can I forgot that could be a software issue, made me doubt about reliable hardware, such corsair (apologize for publicity) and EVGA.

Odd that the drivers don't effect the 550 ti in the same way. I'm running the latest drivers on my titan x too without issues.
    NunoMG
    Re: Black Screen and GPU fan @ max speed 2016/04/12 10:04:03 (permalink)
    Sajin
    NunoMG
    Hi again fellows,

Odd that the drivers don't effect the 550 ti in the same way. I'm running the latest drivers on my titan x too without issues.

Yep,

Very odd, not only they didn´t affect 550ti, as they didn´t affect the 780 in the other rig with the latest drivers!!!! I can only think in a kind of hardware conflit such my board, or maybe this drivers must have any 780 chipset bug, i don´t know.
    NunoMG
    Re: Black Screen and GPU fan @ max speed 2016/04/13 02:06:18 (permalink)
    EVGATech_KevinS
    NunoMG
    Hi again fellows,

I would say to download driver version  and see if the same issue occurs or not.

Hi kevin,

After trying all 36x.xx drivers and all of them failed it, the 359.06 (driver before any 36x version) seems to work fine!

Any special reason to try 347.88 drivers?
    NunoMG
    Re: Black Screen and GPU fan @ max speed 2016/04/13 13:54:54 (permalink)
    EVGATech_KevinS

The 347.88 driver, that I seen with other customer who has use that driver fix up there issue and its the most stable version out there.

Ok, thanks for the info, i´ll make tests with both drivers and analyze which one fits my rig!!!
    Thank you all for your support

Cheers guys.
    thehighhat
    • Total Posts : 17
    Re: Black Screen and GPU fan @ max speed 2016/04/29 11:19:57 (permalink)
    similar problem.

gtx titan on a an sr2 board.

a win10 automatic driver update seems to have broken this gpu.

driver roll back.  cleaning all dust.  reseating card in different pcie slot.  perfectly working psu.  completely fail.

also, the card does not work even in Linux.  booting to fresh Linux install the same black screen.

and the black screen / hard machine lock up only occurs when a graphics context (accelerated) is started.  windows safe mode and unaccelerated nouveau x session work fine.

but this makes the machine unusable. 

should I just rma?  (and remove win10 forever? lol)
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: Black Screen and GPU fan @ max speed 2016/04/29 12:04:32 (permalink)
    thehighhat
    similar problem.

gtx titan on a an sr2 board.

a win10 automatic driver update seems to have broken this gpu.

driver roll back.  cleaning all dust.  reseating card in different pcie slot.  perfectly working psu.  completely fail.

also, the card does not work even in Linux.  booting to fresh Linux install the same black screen.

and the black screen / hard machine lock up only occurs when a graphics context (accelerated) is started.  windows safe mode and unaccelerated nouveau x session work fine.

but this makes the machine unusable. 

should I just rma?  (and remove win10 forever? lol)

You should try reflashing the vbios.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile