Author
V84x4
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 282
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 7
2016/04/29 16:09:07 (permalink)
Hi Guys

Recently I bought my first X99 Micro 2 mb and 5820K cpu (I Love It)
I updated the Bios to the latest and have been very happy

But one thing I have noticed while playing around with settings and overclocking 
After I am done experimenting with over clocking in the bios and playing games on windows 10
I then put everything back to stock settings and reboot into windows only to find out that my bios settings didn't take

So I go back into the bios and sure enough some of the settings are still enabled

Example:
over clocked to 4.2 gh
change multiplier to +125
Change ram to XMP 1 for 3200
then save bios and reboot everything is fine in windows

Then go back into bios and set everything back to stock settings and save then reboot

go back into bios only to see that the cpu has changed to 3.8 gh on it's own and that auto has changed back to manual

so I change it to auto again and reboot back into the bios and now the multiplier has changed back  to +125 but the cpu is back to auto

I can replicate this every time so it wasnt just a "ONE TIME" glitch

So it seems that the X99 bios (When over clocking) need to be saved several times in order for the "AUTO" changes to take affect

Any one else seeing this issue ?

Anyone shed some light on something i'm doing wrong?
I know how to save settings and exit the bios.........................

Regards, Rick

post edited by V84x4 - 2016/05/02 16:21:52

Computer Specs:
Lilan Li 011D Bitspower DISTRO,  MSI 570 Carbon Pro MB, AMD 3900X @ 3.8ghz, Bitspower Water Loop,
TRIDENT Z 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4 3200,  evga 2080 Super, EK waterblock
 980 PRO M.2 1TB ,evga 1000w G3 psu, LG GSYNC 4KK Curved 32 inch, Windows 10 64bit 

17 Replies Related Threads

mike406
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 904
    • Ribbons : 13
    Re: Bios not saving new settings at first "SAVE" 2016/04/29 16:15:35 (permalink)
    Only thing I could think of is that XMP profiles sometimes provide a CPU overclock. When you set everything back to auto, did you also remove the XMP profile?

Associate Code: 6KIMUJ06W8WFDR5 (5-10% off your purchase)              

EVGATech_ChrisB
    EVGA Tech Support
    • Total Posts : 2033
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Bios not saving new settings at first "SAVE" 2016/04/29 16:23:10 (permalink)
    Hi V84x4,

We recommend to try clearing the CMOS with the button on the board and if it continues to try a second flash.  We have not been able to reproduce this behavior.

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: Bios not saving new settings at first "SAVE" 2016/04/29 16:35:26 (permalink)
    Yup, clear CMOS and reflash if needed.  Those numbers you're seeing I believe is because your RAM's XMP profile is enabled as well.

I'm pretty much repeating what everyone else has said above me. heh

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: Bios not saving new settings at first "SAVE" 2016/04/29 16:53:55 (permalink)
    Setting the Bios back to the Defaults before updating the Bios is one of the most forgotten process of updating the Motherboard Bios.
    One nice new features of the EVGA X99 Motherboards is the ability to update Bios within the Bios.

Windows Installation
    • Download the correct .zip file below for your motherboard:
             151-HE-E999-KR - EVGA X99 Classified          150-HE-E997-KR - EVGA X99 FTW          131-HE-E995-KR - EVGA X99 Micro          131-HE-E095-KR - EVGA X99 Micro2
    • First go into your BIOS and load defaults, save and exit
    • Close all open programs.
    • Go into the folder where you unzipped this package and update.bat
    • Press Y to start the flash process
    • DO NOT TURN OFF POWER OR RESET DURING THE FLASH PROCESS
    • After the flashing is finished, the system will automatically shut down. Then power on again and go into BIOS to setup.
    • NOTE:    If flash box immediately closes after flash attempt, the flash may need    to be ran from a CMD prompt with administrator privileges or DOS    version.
       BIOS Installation
    • Extract the contents of .zip file to USB flash drive (must be formatted as FAT32)
    • Reboot the machine and go into the system BIOS
    • From the BIOS, navigate to the Save & Exit tab and open "Select BIOS File."
    • Select the .bin file you wish to flash.

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

V84x4
    iCX Member
    Re: Bios not saving new settings at first "SAVE" 2016/04/29 18:56:16 (permalink)
    mike406
    Only thing I could think of is that XMP profiles sometimes provide a CPU overclock. When you set everything back to auto, did you also remove the XMP profile?

EVGATech_ChrisB
    Hi V84x4,

We recommend to try clearing the CMOS with the button on the board and if it continues to try a second flash.  We have not been able to reproduce this behavior.

gtxjackbauer
    Yup, clear CMOS and reflash if needed.  Those numbers you're seeing I believe is because your RAM's XMP profile is enabled as well.

I'm pretty much repeating what everyone else has said above me. heh

bcavnaugh
    Setting the Bios back to the Defaults before updating the Bios is one of the most forgotten process of updating the Motherboard Bios.
    One nice new features of the EVGA X99 Motherboards is the ability to update Bios within the Bios.

OK Thanks 

I will Do as you all have suggested and report back
    But I didn't think I would have to set the bios to default if I didn't mess with it before I flashed it

Here's what I did
    Bought the x99 Micro2
    Built it
    Loaded windows then Flashed the bios (From Windows)
    I even had a evga tech walk me through it on the phone just to make sure I was doing it correctly

Last question
    When I clear the CMOS will I lose my RAID config?

Best regards, Rick

Computer Specs:
    Lilan Li 011D Bitspower DISTRO,  MSI 570 Carbon Pro MB, AMD 3900X @ 3.8ghz, Bitspower Water Loop,
     980 PRO M.2 1TB ,evga 1000w G3 psu, LG GSYNC 4KK Curved 32 inch, Windows 10 64bit 

GTXJackBauer
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10323
    • Ribbons : 48
    Re: Bios not saving new settings at first "SAVE" 2016/04/30 04:56:36 (permalink)
    V84x4

I believe so.  You'll just have to go back and enable the RAID again iirc.

Use this Associate Code at your checkouts or follow these instructions for Up to 10% OFF on all your EVGA purchases:
    LMD3DNZM9LGK8GJ
    ypsylon
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 527
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: Bios not saving new settings at first "SAVE" 2016/04/30 05:02:34 (permalink)
    You shouldn't lose RAID setup. Granted it will revert to AHCI mode on SATA ports, but Intel meta data is written to drives in existing array (it's how all controllers assign drives to particular array), so first thing after boot you have to setup ports to RAID mode. Should be enough.
    mike406
    SSC Member
    Re: Bios not saving new settings at first "SAVE" 2016/04/30 13:00:07 (permalink)
    V84x4 
    OK Thanks 

I will Do as you all have suggested and report back
    But I didn't think I would have to set the bios to default if I didn't mess with it before I flashed it

Here's what I did
    Bought the x99 Micro2
    Built it
    Loaded windows then Flashed the bios (From Windows)
    I even had a evga tech walk me through it on the phone just to make sure I was doing it correctly

Last question

Best regards, Rick

Sometimes when going between BIOS revisions, even if things were left as default settings can become "stuck" or old garbage data could be kept in places where it shouldn't be. That's why it's typically always recommended to clear CMOS after a BIOS flash. Sometimes even restoring default from the GUI is not enough and the CMOS button is the only sure way.

V84x4
    iCX Member
    Re: Bios not saving new settings at first "SAVE" 2016/05/01 05:30:31 (permalink)
    Well.........
    I lost my Raid array 

I cleared my CMOS like everyone said and now Im re-installing Windows.......................ugggggg
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    FAILED
    I have 2 matching Intel 240gb SSD's On Sata port #0 & #1
    The error I got in the Raid was that the #2 HHD was not a Raid drive
    so I deleted the Raid and re-created a new one and rebooted
    then I cleared the CMOS again to see if I could re-create the issue and sure
    enough the same thing happened........... #2 HHD is no longer a part of the raid 
    I understand this is not supposed to happen but after reading several post on this forum and others
    lots of people have had this problem

So I feel this problem should be addressed in the next bios update........ please
    because this is very frustrating when modding, Over clocking and tweaking 
    to have to format and re-install the OP  
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BACK TO SUBJECT
    now that I have cleared my CMOS several times
    I will try to recreate the problem i was having with Saved settings not clearing after reboot

regards Rick

Computer Specs:

arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6916
    • Ribbons : 76
    Re: Bios not saving new settings at first "SAVE" 2016/05/01 08:54:39 (permalink)
    V84x4
    Well.........
    I lost my Raid array 

I cleared my CMOS like everyone said and now Im re-installing Windows.......................ugggggg
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    FAILED
    I have 2 matching Intel 240gb SSD's On Sata port #0 & #1
    The error I got in the Raid was that the #2 HHD was not a Raid drive
    so I deleted the Raid and re-created a new one and rebooted
    then I cleared the CMOS again to see if I could re-create the issue and sure
    enough the same thing happened........... #2 HHD is no longer a part of the raid 
    I understand this is not supposed to happen but after reading several post on this forum and others
    lots of people have had this problem

So I feel this problem should be addressed in the next bios update........ please
    because this is very frustrating when modding, Over clocking and tweaking 
    to have to format and re-install the OP  
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    BACK TO SUBJECT
    now that I have cleared my CMOS several times
    I will try to recreate the problem i was having with Saved settings not clearing after reboot

regards Rick

And that's why I spend $600 for a discreet RAID card. I've migrated from an Adaptec 6805, to 7805, to 8805 and my RAID 6 is detected properly every. single. time. That, and the last time I used the on-board RAID I lost about 5TB of data from a RAID 5 after the motherboard failed, and the replacement (exact same model and BIOS revision) could not detect the RAID array.

You can get cheaper discreet RAID cards if all you are doing is RAID 0 or 1.
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: Bios not saving new settings at first "SAVE" 2016/05/01 09:49:42 (permalink)
    Did you re-setup the raid in the Bios?
    No one else has lost a raid after updating the Bios that I have seen Posted.
    Still for a Desktop I see raids are overrated anyway, it is not a server after all.
    post edited by bcavnaugh - 2016/05/01 09:52:15

V84x4
    iCX Member
    Re: Bios not saving new settings at first "SAVE" 2016/05/01 10:38:50 (permalink)
    bcavnaugh
    Did you re-setup the raid in the Bios?
    No one else has lost a raid after updating the Bios that I have seen Posted.
    Still for a Desktop I see raids are overrated anyway, it is not a server after all.

Yes of course i went immediately into the bios and set to raid
    I am able to replicate it every time
    And a  google search revels that tons of people have the same problem on a plethora of mother boards including (evga, Asus, Etc)

I Like Arestavo's idea, unfortunately I don't have room in this modded case I've built http://forums.evga.com/MANTA-X-m2470377.aspx

And yes I see a big difference in file accessing and photoshop and Sony Vages with Raid
    but I think I will move to M.2 sata for 2500 read and 1500 write

Back on topic (Bios not saving new settings at first "SAVE")
    i feel that the issue is resolved as I can not replacate it any more
    and also I think I didn't know about "XMP" keeping a higher voltage on CPU when enabled

So I thank you all for your help and input

Best Regards, Rick

Computer Specs:

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: Bios not saving new settings at first "SAVE" 2016/05/01 10:55:04 (permalink)
    V84x4
    and also I think I didn't know about "XMP" keeping a higher voltage on CPU when enabled
    Best Regards, Rick

I have friend that also has GSKIL Memory and when he sets his XMP Profile 1 it also set the BCLK and overclocks the CPU.
    I have Corsair Memory and when I set my XMP Profile 1 it does not change then BCLK and it does not overclocks the CPU.
    If this friend set his BCLK back to 100 it also sets his memory speed lower.
    We have seen odd issues with GSKIL Memory on the EVGA X99 Platform.
    With GSKIL Memory set the Memory Profile Save and Reboot Before you Overclock the CPU

V84x4
    iCX Member
    Re: Bios not saving new settings at first "SAVE" 2016/05/01 11:11:13 (permalink)
    bcavnaugh
    V84x4
    Best Regards, Rick

I have friend that also has GSKIL Memory and when he sets his XMP Profile 1 it also set the BCLK and overclocks the CPU.
    I have Corsair Memory and when I set my XMP Profile 1 it does not change then BCLK and it does not overclocks the CPU.
    With GSKIL Memory set the Memory Profile Save and Reboot Before you Overclock the CPU

It's funny you say that because I went to evga's compatibility list and the GSKIL ram I bought is listed as compatible

Hmmmmmm............

Regards, Rick

Computer Specs:

bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    Re: Bios not saving new settings at first "SAVE" 2016/05/01 12:24:17 (permalink)
    V84x4
    bcavnaugh
    V84x4
    Best Regards, Rick

It's funny you say that because I went to evga's compatibility list and the GSKIL ram I bought is listed as compatible

Hmmmmmm............

Regards, Rick

It has nothing to do with "listed as compatible" only how GSKIL Memory XMP Profiles are.
    Each Memory Company has its own Profile for their memory and has nothing to do with the Motherboard.

mike406
    SSC Member
    Re: Bios not saving new settings at first "SAVE" 2016/05/01 20:46:31 (permalink)
    I'm not sure what happened to your RAID array. If you put back all of your settings and the drive order to the way it was it should have been fine. Not sure what happened there. Sorry to hear.

V84x4
    iCX Member
    Re: Bios not saving new settings at first "SAVE" 2016/05/02 16:20:21 (permalink)
    bcavnaugh

It has nothing to do with "listed as compatible" only how GSKIL Memory XMP Profiles are.
    Each Memory Company has its own Profile for their memory and has nothing to do with the Motherboard.

Ahhhh I see, Thanks

So I have worked through everything and have found out (through another post about video artifacts)
    that in fact my ram is the culprit  and that MY Gskill ram likes to play at 1.3V
    I also found out that even when I press "F5" to put everything back to stock settings
    I still have to manually turn the ram back to auto from XMP as the ram wants to run at 1.3V per the ram manufacture

That's why I would keep having to go back into the Bios to get the Bios to save my settings 3 times
    Now it all makes sence.........................weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee 

Well I have it all figured out now thanks to my evga family

Best regards to all, Rick

Computer Specs:

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile