EVGA

Be Careful of not loosing your Lifetime Warranty - Keep your receipts in some place safe

Author
zahmatra
  • Total Posts : 12
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/04/02 02:41:16 (permalink)
I am writing this to share my experience on my recent RMA process.

Let me start saying that I have always been a fan of EVGA purchasing and registering about 10 graphics cards in the span of several years. That was until I found out that EVGA discontinued the lifetime warranty on their high end products.

However, my last purchase was 2 EVGA 570 GTX which I have been using in SLI since January 2011. They are both covered for Lifetime Warranty.

As the usual process, I registered them the moment I got my hands on those cards, and uploaded the receipts in JPEG format. At that time, I got the confirmation that the invoices have been uploaded successfully and that everything was good to go.

Fast Forward to 04/01/2015, I am in the middle of editing some videos from the GOPRO, and my graphic card starts crashing and recovering for about 4 times until it blue screens the system. When I reboot I see some artifacts even while in the BIOS, so I can tell that one of my graphic cards is not good.
Run several test and low and behold, one of the cards went bad.

I called support to start an RMA, and the surprise hits home: "It seems you have not uploaded your invoice".I just cannot believe what I am hearing. The guy on the phone remained professional but I was beyond upset. When I uploaded the receipts, I even got confirmation that everything was good. Now, 4 years later, you are telling that it is not??? And of course, without invoice, no lifetime warranty.

I asked him to check on the other card, and both came up with the same. However, I can tell that his is an issue on their side, because he explained to me that he was getting a 404 error when trying to pull the invoice from their system. As some of you developers know, 404 error does not come up with a "corrupted file" (as the guy from support said) but is shown when the file cannot be found (either link path is wrong or misspelled).

So, I think the problem comes to the fact that during all this time, they might have upgraded their ticketing and RMA system, and they might have problems accessing old files.

Also, Who keeps receipts from 4 years ago???

Anyway, I tried contacting MicroCenter to see if they could retrieve the receipts, but it was going to take several days just to see "if" they could.

My email history on the email account registered made it up to 03/2011 so I couldn't get any email confirmation that I received from EVGA.

That was until today, by pure luck, I remember I kept an old backup of that email account and was lucky to retrieve emails from 01/2011. I was able to confirm that I got the confirmation from EVGA that receipts were uploaded successful and "With the copy of the scanned receipt".

So I called again, uploaded the receipts for both cards (for the RMA only needed one, but now I made sure that they both have invoices that can be seen by support) and away is my card going for RMA.

So my word of advise: "Make sure that you always keep the scanned file with you in a backup. You never know when they will try to pull a fast one on you"

2 Replies Related Threads

ErinW
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 1149
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Be Careful of not loosing your Lifetime Warranty - Keep your receipts in some place sa 2015/04/02 06:49:35 (permalink)
    Even though the page says that it accepts jpg/pdf/xps/doc/zip for in uploaded invoice, the safest thing to use is JPG, then PDF. MS Word/Wordpad are now saving things in a default open "oxps", which is a format that is not currently supported. 

Scan your receipts, then save them as JPGs. If you're "printing" from Amazon, NewEgg, or another online source, you can use Foxit or CutePDF to create a PDF from a virtual printer. Chrome has this functionality built in with "Save as PDF", and I think it's been added to FireFox 35 and up, as well as Project Spartan.

post edited by EVGATech_ChrisB - 2015/04/02 10:38:05
    EVGATech_ChrisB
    EVGA Tech Support
    • Total Posts : 2032
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Be Careful of not loosing your Lifetime Warranty - Keep your receipts in some place sa 2015/04/02 10:36:33 (permalink)
    Hi,

I would also like to add that our system will email you a confirmation that the invoice was uploaded and attach a copy of the file received by our system.  If you do try and open the attached file and it does not show properly then it would be recommended to upload the file once more.

If the file was uploaded to our site and the file was transmitted without an error, then we will have this on file.  Please understand however that you can reference the file that was emailed to you once the invoice was uploaded if there are any concerns with a uploaded invoice.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile