EVGA

Battlefield 4 SLI Stuttering

Author
GiantRobot24
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/04/08 22:55:02 (permalink)
I've been having issues with SLI and battlefield 4 since the game came out and I feel like I've tried everything possible to fix it. I have a Lenovo Y500 with two gt750Ms, 1080p screen, i7 cpu. No matter what I do I get stuttering when using SLI, when I look at MSI afterburner there are tons of 5-25% gpu spikes on both cards, but the issue disappears when I disable my second card. I've tried every conceivable video option within the game as far as graphic settings, v-sync, etc. I have also tried every driver that has released including the beta drivers, some were better than others but the stuttering was still there. I've had SLI issues with other games, but was always able to solve them messing with some settings or finding an SLI profile that worked. Does anyone have some advice on what to try next? I just downloaded the newest drivers and they made no difference.

7 Replies Related Threads

maniacvvv
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 10053
    • Ribbons : 165
    Re: Battlefield 4 SLI Stuttering 2014/04/08 23:04:21 (permalink)
    Welcome to the EVGA forums

Please post your -detailed- CPU specs (exact model and speed) and system RAM (total amount and speed) 

GiantRobot24
    Re: Battlefield 4 SLI Stuttering 2014/04/08 23:21:31 (permalink)

CPU/Chipset
    3rd generation Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM (2.40GHz)

Operating System
    Windows 8 64

Memory
    8GB RAM
    16GB DDR3 SDRAM (side note: this no longer works, it functioned as additional ram as far as I understood, but I had the bf4 issue before this thing died on me)

Graphics
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GT750M GDDR5 2GB

Display
    15.6" FHD display (16:9 widescreen) (1920x1080)
    maniacvvv
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Battlefield 4 SLI Stuttering 2014/04/09 00:02:51 (permalink)
    I am unclear, you appear to have only just one 750m? do not see how you can "SLI"....
    Are you attempting to use the Lucid Virtu software for your iGPU? is that what you mean?

Laptops are ill suited for a game like BF4 and you will have to except your performance envelope.
    A 750m is quite underpowered for 1080p

The VERY first thing you should do, is shut down MSI afterburner and UNINSTALL it
    *during the uninstall make SURE you answer -NO- when asked to save data....
    Once complete, reboot the system once (do NOT skip this reboot)

The issue here is laptop software that injects itself into your Nvidia driver for fan and temp control
    That laptop onboard software does NOT play well with Afterburner -or- newer Nvidia driversets -period-

After removing Afterburner and rebooting once...
    Do a CUSTOM mode install of 337.50 (do NOT use express or the GeForce experience, do it manually)
    UNCHECK -all- Nvidia driver components EXCEPT for Graphics driver and PhysX
    Make -sure- you put a check in "perform a clean install"
    After the driver is finished, you must reboot once (do NOT skip this reboot)

Leave all NVCP settings at defaults
    use only the HIGH preset in BF4 and make SURE--> you have scaling at 100 and FOV at 70
    now test
    ----------------------

If you really have been using Virtu logic for your iGPU, forget it as it will cause issues in BF4 due to the way system RAM works....
    You should disable it in BIOS if possible, or uncheck the Intel common user interface entries in your MSCONG "startup" tab and reboot
    Make SURE you read your manual, as laptops are custom configured and user changes -cannot- be taken for granted

You post about your system ram is very unclear
    Do you have (2) 8 gig sticks and one has failed? has it been removed from the system?
    If not, then just what configuration of ram are you currently running?

post edited by maniacvvv - 2014/04/09 00:29:57

GiantRobot24
    Re: Battlefield 4 SLI Stuttering 2014/04/09 02:50:02 (permalink)
    Thanks for the quick response, it is SLI, I bought the second card after purchasing the laptop. I currently have to play bf4 with only one card because of the stuttering I get with two, and yes it is quite underpowered, I have to use low/medium settings to stay above 60fps. I have 8gb of ram. There was a 16gb msata ssd that came with the laptop that had some intel cache program installed on it, and from what I understood it was just functioning as additional ram, it made the laptop boot up way faster when it was working. Can I install some other overclocking program? I've been using afterburner for a while and never have any issues with overheating or anything.

maniacvvv
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: Battlefield 4 SLI Stuttering 2014/04/09 09:50:28 (permalink)
    I did some reading up on your laptop.
    It uses a very proprietary setup with unusual "SLI" properties.. 
    Its highly doubtful you can get stable SLI performance using regular Nvidia drivers.
    You would need a custom set, those will be on your Laptops webpage and are likely completely outdated. 

As for overclocking, to do so on a laptop (and one with a cartridge GPU addon) is most unwise due to not only the hardware issues, but also because of the -serious- software issues involved...

Sorry your having problems with BF4

dyno0919
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2105
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re: Battlefield 4 SLI Stuttering 2014/04/09 10:48:49 (permalink)
    I also looked up the OP's laptop setup and must say that is one of the strangest SLI solutions for a laptop I've ever seen. Seeing as I've only ever heard of Lenovo offering this add on solution, I would agree you probably can't use traditional drivers. In all honesty, that "Drivebay" GPU seems like a scam... there's a reason most laptops don't have SLI.
    GiantRobot24
    Re: Battlefield 4 SLI Stuttering 2014/04/09 16:09:17 (permalink)
    Well thanks for looking into it for me, it's my first gaming laptop so I pretty much just looked for the best laptop I could find according to reviews and such that was in my price range. If I would've known how proprietary the setup was I would've never bought it, I had to flash a custom Lenovo BIOS just to get sli to work with Windows 8.1. Either way I see there's a driver released for it on the Lenovo site from December so I'll give that a try and if not maybe some later driver update will fix it. It just sucks since I bought the second card to coincide with the release bf4 and it's the only game that wont work right with it other than Dark Souls, which is such a terrible PC port it's not even funny. At least even with just one card BF4 still looks better on my laptop than on my friends xbox one 
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile