Android losing in the Fragmentation Battle

Author
stalinx20
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 4977
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/02/11 09:18:45 (permalink)
Apparently Android is losing when it comes to receiving the latest content available, according to Digital Trends.
http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/what-is-android-fragmentation-and-can-google-ever-fix-it/

post edited by stalinx20 - 2016/02/11 09:30:41

EVGA X79 Dark
2080 Black edition
EVGA 1000 gold PSU (Gold)
4820K CPU
16x G-skill

7 Replies Related Threads

seth89
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 5290
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: Android losing in the Fragmentation Battle 2016/02/11 16:51:14 (permalink)
    Yeah its real hard to get all of your users to the latest IOS when you only make one model phone and that one phone is made by one company...

I think in real life the only phones that matter are flagship devices when we compare android to apple. A $50 LG Virgin Mobile phone was stunted the minute I picked it up from RadioShack. However my three year old  LG G3 has android 5.1 and will be getting 6.0 soon.

theGryphon
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4069
    Re: Android losing in the Fragmentation Battle 2016/02/12 00:40:10 (permalink)
    stalinx20
    Apparently Android is losing when it comes to receiving the latest content available, according to Digital Trends.
    http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/what-is-android-fragmentation-and-can-google-ever-fix-it/

If anyone ever thought this wouldn't happen to an open system like Android, they didn't have a clue.

All you have to do is take a look at Linux... sounds like a single OS, but they're many...

Brad_Hawthorne
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 23174
    • Ribbons : 39
    Re: Android losing in the Fragmentation Battle 2016/02/12 04:31:39 (permalink)
    theGryphon
    stalinx20

If anyone ever thought this wouldn't happen to an open system like Android, they didn't have a clue.

All you have to do is take a look at Linux... sounds like a single OS, but they're many...

Everyone has a different idea how to best do something and in an open OS, they allow it to happen. It's a self-fulfilling prophesy. There can't not be fragmentation in this sort of software ecosystem. That being said, I think Android is crap and this is one of the prime reasons.
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102231
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: Android losing in the Fragmentation Battle 2016/02/12 05:46:01 (permalink)
    Brad_Hawthorne
    theGryphon
    stalinx20

Everyone has a different idea how to best do something and in an open OS, they allow it to happen. It's a self-fulfilling prophesy. There can't not be fragmentation in this sort of software ecosystem. That being said, I think Android is crap and this is one of the prime reasons.

Google has said it will try and control it's own hardware in the future for it's models so maybe this might help a little bit when the O/S is a bit more standardized. Then again it could easily backfire on them. Without Android that leaves Apple which charges any price they want as they have no competition at all. Their devices are good but too expensive for me. The other only players are Sailfish (which I've tried and hated), and Blackberry.  Blackberry is OK but I don't like the hardware. 

Android 6 is actually not too bad but still could use some improvements. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Bobmitch
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 8325
    • Ribbons : 47
    Re: Android losing in the Fragmentation Battle 2016/02/12 06:11:07 (permalink)
    I had always thought it was part of planned obsolescence!  If the OS got too old, people would purchase new phones to get the newer OS.  Hmmm!

MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk;  Ryzen 9 5950X; Asus TUF RTX 4070 TI OC; Corsair H115i Pro; 32 GB  Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR4-3600; Western Digital Black 4 TB SN850X NVMe; Creative SoundBlaster Z; Corsair HX 850i;  Lian Li Lancool II;  EVGA Z15
    RGB Keyboard; and Razer Viper 8K Mouse
    Heatware:  http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=72402    Affiliate code: 1L2RV0BNQ6                                          
    Associate Code:  UD82LJP3Y1FIQPR

fearpoint
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 3184
    • Ribbons : 3
    Re: Android losing in the Fragmentation Battle 2016/02/12 17:53:56 (permalink)
    lol they are on version 6.0 and I'm still using 4.2 on my tablet and it's only a year old.....

I'd never use android on a cellphone.
    theGryphon
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4069
    Re: Android losing in the Fragmentation Battle 2016/02/12 23:51:42 (permalink)
    bobmitch
    I had always thought it was part of planned obsolescence!  If the OS got too old, people would purchase new phones to get the newer OS.  Hmmm!

This.

Read my post above. Subtext is, everybody including Google knew this would happen. From the get go, it has been a central component of Android's value proposition (for companies). That's why Android took off so quickly (and a much better Blackberry OS didn't). It creates a business environment where planned obsolescence is built in.

I'm no fan of Apple but they handle this *much* neater.

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile