EVGA

Advent Vega Tegra Note 7 (UK)

Author
Tegrasaurus
  • Total Posts : 15
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/01/26 03:39:45 (permalink)
First of all, I would like to say finally at last I am able to write on the forum... I have been wondering why I wasn't able to... There isn’t a lot of support/ talk for the Advent Vega Tegra Note 7 (UK version). The moderators on the Advent computers website are not as active as I would like them to be =(.

Secondly, the Tegra Note 7 is a good tablet however it does have a lot of issues.
- The first TN7 I had issues concerning the battery life and the media server app.
- The battery life was appalling. Just a 2 hour movie would drain the life out of the battery, going from 100%(charged) dropping down to 40%, that's 10% drained every 20minutes (normal ? i don't think it is)... this was on balance setting, with brightness set to 0 and volume at the lowest, wifi on.
- The media server “app” was always on 50-70% all the time for 2weeks.
- The tablet could not play HD videos on battery saver mode either. It would stutter
- Doing nothing, the battery would drain
- Gaming with max performance + dead trigger on ultra was laggy to play with. Also the battery drained incredibly fast, per min 1-2% drain of battery
- Had to charge it every 3 hours.
- This all happened after the OTA update to 4.3... so i thought i do a factory reset and try 4.2.2. but factory reset just stayed on 4.3 (failed =/)
So I returned it thinking it was a faulty battery maybe…..  And got a new one.

Using the new TN7 tablet on 4.2.2 battery was ok, getting around 30-40mins per 10% on balanced mode/ battery saver. I was able to watch youtube HD videos without stuttering on battery saver + wifi on. So i decide maybe it was the battery on the old TN7 so i update it to 4.3.

After the update all “hell” broke lose..
- YouTube HD videos have to be played in balanced mode so I don’t watch stuttering .. battery is same as the previous tablet as before if not worse.
- There is an issue with the palm rejection (before the update). I can still write with my finger even with it enabled. I am able to swipe from the right side… it’s a mild issue I can deal with but still it shouldn’t be there..
- + same issues at old TN7
- when wifi is off i get this message, nvidia services has stop working.

I downloaded wakelocker as well and found that audioout_2 is the issue… but that happens when I play a video so i'm assuming that’s normal…

I still don’t know what is causing my battery drain…  I also have an app for mobile security, macafee and the guardian newspaper app, but they use 1% of my battery so I doubt it is this. (also this is not the cause of battery drain as the battery drain happened before this)

I thought it was google services, so I disable all the ones I don’t use, but they still automatically decided to download themselves back on the tablet

- Atm just browsing the web in general..(use reddit/ news site i.e bbc)... 1-2% every 2mins
- Youtube video hd has to be played balanced mode.. 2hour movie 60% of battery used
- Using guardian app 15% 30mins

I noticed that battery drain is faster when browsing websites then watching the movie -.- ... how idk.

I don’t want to root as it will void the warranty, and quite frankly with this battery life and me not being able to find a solution to the drain, i'm thinking of giving this one back…unless there is a solution or some sort of acknowledgement that these issues are a problem by nvdia/advent

There doesn’t seem to be a solution to why the battery drain is so fast… when its advertised as up to 10 hours I should at least get 6hours or 7 at least but around 3 hours of use before I have to charge it again I might as well not have it.

Any help in knowing what I can do… or even find out what is causing such fast drain is appreciated.

(sorry for this "rant" like thread but TN7 is my first android device and its been unpleasant and frustrating i am just considering just get a ipad or something else...tesco hudl =/)

13 Replies Related Threads

Tegrasaurus
    Re: Advent Vega Tegra Note 7 (UK) 2014/01/26 04:51:23 (permalink)
    what is everyone's' battery life? while watching a hd video? on youtube... with wifi on... 50% brightness?
    xphyle
    • Total Posts : 42
    Re: Advent Vega Tegra Note 7 (UK) 2014/01/26 06:33:53 (permalink)
    Can't speak to the battery life of my Tegra Note on 4.3 because I haven't used it much since I updated it, but I can honestly say that when I recently updated my Galaxy Note 2 phone from 4.2 to 4.3 my battery life took a noticeable nosedive. On 4.2 I was getting thru an entire day and would plug in before I went to bed. On 4.3 with same usage I would have to plug in at 4 or 5 pm because my battery was drained.  So maybe the problem is 4.3 itself. 
    rchrdcrg
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 105
    Re: Advent Vega Tegra Note 7 (UK) 2014/01/26 09:51:49 (permalink)
    4.3 is a bit of a mess underneath the hood, especially on devices with 1GB of RAM or less. That's why everyone's made such a buzz around 4.4 since it's optimized to run with as little as 512MB of RAM. I'm sure many of our issues will be solved once we get that 4.4 update.

Also, don't forget, we're early adopters of a brand new device line that was designed by a company that's never made a tablet before and then manufactured by companies that, many of which, have never built a tablet before. Anyone unwilling to take that risk should've bought a Nexus 7 instead.
    fm123
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 131
    Re: Advent Vega Tegra Note 7 (UK) 2014/01/26 10:24:31 (permalink)
    Did you get the 1.1 update?  That has smoothed things from the original 4.3 release.  Not sure about battery.
    kay86
    • Total Posts : 11
    Re: Advent Vega Tegra Note 7 (UK) 2014/01/26 11:05:06 (permalink)
    4.3 gave me the same issues. After the last update though, things returned back to normal
    fm123
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 131
    Re: Advent Vega Tegra Note 7 (UK) 2014/01/26 14:57:42 (permalink)
    I notice that in save battery mode the Wi-Fi streaming of movies, I tested with Transformers Dark Side of the Moon, you do get stuttering. It took 44% for 2.5 hours of playback (auto brightness, prism on ).

I notice that there is no stuttering that I saw when playing a locally stored file.  What I did was go into developer mode and turned off background processes.  This removed stuttering when I played the movie again.
    post edited by fm123 - 2014/01/26 15:01:28
    Tegrasaurus
    Re: Advent Vega Tegra Note 7 (UK) 2014/01/28 09:30:59 (permalink)
    fm123
    I notice that in save battery mode the Wi-Fi streaming of movies, I tested with Transformers Dark Side of the Moon, you do get stuttering. It took 44% for 2.5 hours of playback (auto brightness, prism on ).

I notice that there is no stuttering that I saw when playing a locally stored file.  What I did was go into developer mode and turned off background processes.  This removed stuttering when I played the movie again.

thanks i did the developer mode... but what background processes did you turn off...?

i still get stuttering even at saver mode when viewing hd video + wifi.... what hd video on youtube do you test with?... so then i can compare

i did some more test... 0 brightness + just internet browsing + power saver i get 4 minutes per 1%... this is just viewing reddit...

should i return my TN7? because for me i browse youtube videos/ reddit/ news at least 2/3 hrs aday.. and my battery life just runs out, its 48% already and used it for like 1.5hrs

ANYONE GOT ANY TIPS ON HOW TO IMPROVE TN7 BATTERY LIFE?
    post edited by Tegrasaurus - 2014/01/28 11:08:37
    Insinerator
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re: Advent Vega Tegra Note 7 (UK) 2014/03/23 14:08:47 (permalink)
    Yeah I have some advice, do what you have been intending to do and take it back one more time. My TN7 which I recently,(5 or so months) bought has great battery life. Watching videos, surfing, wifi, hardly touch the battery life. I was amazed by comparison I upgraded to it from the Samsung tab 2 10 inch. Battery life, performance, UI, very much worth it. I have been reading a lot of articles about it. The only problems I have with my tablet is the non-responsive screen that a lot of owners have. That and the fact now it is cracked and I can't find ANYONE that carries a replacement. Also i notice that downloading any time of file off the internet DRAG'S it ass. I know it is not my connection or provider. Blah blah... So it just the tablet you have I would think. Hardware not software. Perhaps 3rd time will be the charm. I wish you luck. Even with its problems it makes Samsung tablets look like old 8086 computers. 
    dudleian
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: Advent Vega Tegra Note 7 (UK) 2014/08/27 01:06:37 (permalink)
    My battery issue is unusual and I hope someone can help - my TN7 is stock running latest kitkat (how I wish I hadn't fallen for THAT update!) I haven't tried to root it or mess in any way with the OS. If I leave it on overnight it maintains a reasonable state of charge but if I switch it off it loses massive amounts of charge - it can drop from 80% to 10% overnight. Any ideas? 
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102262
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: Advent Vega Tegra Note 7 (UK) 2014/08/27 04:18:10 (permalink)
    dudleian
    My battery issue is unusual and I hope someone can help - my TN7 is stock running latest kitkat (how I wish I hadn't fallen for THAT update!) I haven't tried to root it or mess in any way with the OS. If I leave it on overnight it maintains a reasonable state of charge but if I switch it off it loses massive amounts of charge - it can drop from 80% to 10% overnight. Any ideas? 

Is this a TomTom Note 7? If so please contact EVGA tech support. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

dudleian
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: Advent Vega Tegra Note 7 (UK) 2014/08/27 04:34:13 (permalink)
    It's an Advent Vega Tegra Note 7- which is why I posted here :-)
    crazydave789
    • Total Posts : 18
    Re: Advent Vega Tegra Note 7 (UK) 2014/09/04 09:00:03 (permalink)
    Tegrasaurus
    what is everyone's' battery life? while watching a hd video? on youtube... with wifi on... 50% brightness?

8 hours or so for me. I stick documentaries on and go to sleep with ear buds in.
    crazydave789
    • Total Posts : 18
    Re: Advent Vega Tegra Note 7 (UK) 2014/09/04 09:02:52 (permalink)
    dudleian

do you actually power it off or just press the button to standby?
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile