EVGA

AnsweredACX rattle / noise problem fix

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 8
Author
vgripps
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re:ACX rattle / noise problem fix 2013/11/22 14:10:28 (permalink)
I have the same problem with my 760 acx. I bought mine through cyberpowerpc and they refused me a replacement. I'm glad someone has found a fix for this and I will surely try it if this noise drives me insane.
B-Con
  • Total Posts : 27
Re:ACX rattle / noise problem fix 2014/01/10 18:45:21 (permalink)
Thanks for the tip, Superbxxx!!

I just received my 780 Classy today, and...

Insta-rattle!!

In mine, the rattle was coming from the fins at each end. They would randomly rattle at various fan speeds. Luckily, I didn't need to disassemble the card. I removed the rear mounting bracket and placed a piece of folded up thermal tape under the fins. At the front of the card, I placed some thermal tape across the top of the fins that are located directly below the power connectors. It's not pretty, but the fins no longer rattle at any speed.

I shouldn't have this issue on a $550+ card. So, now, I just need to decide whether or not to keep the card.

Edit: Kept the card, and it's still performing amazingly well.

Note - You can right click on the image icons below and select "View Image" to see the pics.

post edited by B-Con - 2019/05/10 09:19:32

i7 920 D0 @ 4.0 GHz * ASUS P6X58D-E * 3 x 4 GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z 1600 MHz (7-8-8-22) * EVGA GTX 780 Classified (418.91) * Crucial MX500 1 TB + Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB + Samsung 840 PRO 256 GB + WD Black 1 TB * Corsair H55 (GT AP-15 Pull + Shroud) * EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3 * Cooler Master HAF 932 * Windows 10 Pro 64-bit * ASUS PB278Q 27" LED 1440p * NVIDIA HD Audio / Kingston HyperX Cloud II * Logitech G510s * Roccat Kone XTD

Superbxxx
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 181
  • Ribbons : 2
Re:ACX rattle / noise problem fix 2014/01/11 01:41:29 (permalink)
B-Con
Thanks for the tip, Superbxxx!!

I just received my 780 Classy today, and...

Insta-rattle!!

In mine, the rattle was coming from the fins at each end. They would randomly rattle at various fan speeds. Luckily, I didn't need to disassemble the card. I removed the rear mounting bracket and placed a piece of folded up thermal tape under the fins. At the front of the card, I placed some thermal tape across the top of the fins that are located directly below the power connectors. The fins no longer rattle at any speed.

I shouldn't have this issue on a $550+ card. So, now, I just need to decide whether or not to keep the card.

Hi there!
No prob man. I´m glad that it helped you and others. Can you put some pics of your fix?
About keeping the card.....put the card through it's paces and decide...if it is as good as mine you will keep it . Check the Asics number and do some overclok just to put the card through it's paces and them decide.

Keep us posted!
B-Con
  • Total Posts : 27
Re:ACX rattle / noise problem fix 2014/01/11 10:09:04 (permalink)
Superbxxx
Hi there!
No prob man. I´m glad that it helped you and others. Can you put some pics of your fix?
About keeping the card.....put the card through it's paces and decide...if it is as good as mine you will keep it . Check the Asics number and do some overclock just to put the card through it's paces and then decide.

Keep us posted!

Dropbox was down yesterday, so I couldn't include the pics. I've edited my post above to include them.

As for my card's ASIC quality, GPU-Z indicates that it is 67.8%. I've read a lot of conflicting opinions on what that number really means. So, like you said, I'll just have to see how it overclocks.

i7 920 D0 @ 4.0 GHz * ASUS P6X58D-E * 3 x 4 GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z 1600 MHz (7-8-8-22) * EVGA GTX 780 Classified (418.91) * Crucial MX500 1 TB + Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB + Samsung 840 PRO 256 GB + WD Black 1 TB * Corsair H55 (GT AP-15 Pull + Shroud) * EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3 * Cooler Master HAF 932 * Windows 10 Pro 64-bit * ASUS PB278Q 27" LED 1440p * NVIDIA HD Audio / Kingston HyperX Cloud II * Logitech G510s * Roccat Kone XTD

BF3PRO
CLASSIFIED Member
  • Total Posts : 3797
Re:ACX rattle / noise problem fix 2014/01/11 11:32:28 (permalink)
Nice!  I personally love Phobya Nano Grease Extreme.  It came with my waterblock and it works great...  If I still had my ACX Card I would do this but since the rattling was annoying I returned it and picked up an nVidia branded 770 with Titan Cooler...

My Affiliate Code: OEESSSDNZV

Superbxxx
Superclocked Member
Re:ACX rattle / noise problem fix 2014/01/12 02:06:59 (permalink)
B-Con
Superbxxx
Hi there!
About keeping the card.....put the card through it's paces and decide...if it is as good as mine you will keep it . Check the Asics number and do some overclock just to put the card through it's paces and then decide.

Keep us posted!

Dropbox was down yesterday, so I couldn't include the pics. I've edited my post above to include them.

As for my card's ASIC quality, GPU-Z indicates that it is 67.8%. I've read a lot of conflicting opinions on what that number really means. So, like you said, I'll just have to see how it overclocks.

Nice pics man. Let us know how it overcloks
therealjustin
  • Total Posts : 16
Re:ACX rattle / noise problem fix 2014/01/14 00:19:14 (permalink)
 I started noticing a faint rattling sound coming from within my case. I just built the system last month so I shut down and made sure to check all cables and screws. When I powered it back up the most awful noise came from my new GTX 760 SC! It was a combination of a low oscillating hum and a metallic grinding noise which stopped after the fans settled to 43%. I took the card out and found that the ACX cooling fins were vibrating against the metal base plate above. On my GTX 760 the PCB appears to be sitting slightly sideways which causes the right side area of the fins to touch. 

The solution was to cut a strip of black electrical tape and wrap it around itself to make a thicker piece. Then just lift up gently on the PCB and shove the tape between the fins and the base plate.
Superbxxx
Superclocked Member
Re:ACX rattle / noise problem fix 2014/01/14 14:27:35 (permalink)
therealjustin
 I started noticing a faint rattling sound coming from within my case. I just built the system last month so I shut down and made sure to check all cables and screws. When I powered it back up the most awful noise came from my new GTX 760 SC! It was a combination of a low oscillating hum and a metallic grinding noise which stopped after the fans settled to 43%. I took the card out and found that the ACX cooling fins were vibrating against the metal base plate above. On my GTX 760 the PCB appears to be sitting slightly sideways which causes the right side area of the fins to touch. 

The solution was to cut a strip of black electrical tape and wrap it around itself to make a thicker piece. Then just lift up gently on the PCB and shove the tape between the fins and the base plate.

Nice fix man. Very good pic to explain too .
BrySkye
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:ACX rattle / noise problem fix 2014/01/30 11:14:43 (permalink)
I just installed my 780ti with ACX today and got the shock of my life when I first powered the thing!
Might not be the best thing to do, but it sounded like such a bad grinding sound I instantly killed the power on pure instinct.
I thought something like a cable might be stick in or near the fans, but no.
Powered up for the third time and it quietened down after about 15 seconds.

I'm done some testing in Precision X having read this thread and, at the moment, I only get a mild rattle above 90% fan speed.
It was actually rattling badly through the whole range until I took it up to 85%. After about 10 seconds, there was a loud thunk and the rattle completely vanished unless I take it up to the highest RPMs.

So I'm keeping an eye on it. Hoping at least some of it is just initial teething hiccups and it just needs to wear itself in a bit. :P
Wishful thinking and all that.
Q5Grafx
  • Total Posts : 8
Re:ACX rattle / noise problem fix 2014/02/01 09:37:47 (permalink)
I to have noticed this rattle when i added the second card in sli. My temp fix was to use a rubber o-ring in between two cards so it applies a very slight amount of pressure on the cooling housing and it worked for about 4 months. this morning the rattle came back intermittently. I will have to try your repair. I will be getting the third card for the sli setup later this month as well as the 3.5 spacing sli bridge and a third backing plate. I will do the repair then while the system is open and i have to gain access to the cards anyways. wierdness, while i was typing this note the rattle just stopped again. Thank you for your post. I will try this fix in a few weeks as a preventive measure on all three cards.

Thank you,
Q5Grafx
Superbxxx
Superclocked Member
Re:ACX rattle / noise problem fix 2014/02/02 01:55:27 (permalink)
Q5Grafx
I to have noticed this rattle when i added the second card in sli. My temp fix was to use a rubber o-ring in between two cards so it applies a very slight amount of pressure on the cooling housing and it worked for about 4 months. this morning the rattle came back intermittently. I will have to try your repair. I will be getting the third card for the sli setup later this month as well as the 3.5 spacing sli bridge and a third backing plate. I will do the repair then while the system is open and i have to gain access to the cards anyways. wierdness, while i was typing this note the rattle just stopped again. Thank you for your post. I will try this fix in a few weeks as a preventive measure on all three cards.

Thank you,
Q5Grafx

I'm sorry to ear that your fix did not work forever man. Good luck trying my fix. I can say that my classified never rattled again and i wish that your became like mine....very silent. Keep us posted please. And you are welcome (for the post)
bluckshot
  • Total Posts : 5
Re:ACX rattle / noise problem fix 2014/02/04 09:47:12 (permalink)
I'm experiencing the rattling sound from fan and coil whine when running 3dmark. Using other benchmarks aren't as bad as 3dmark, that one makes it sing. Heavenly it handles better. 

Going to try the screws.
Contacted tech support whom told me that it may be due to a capacitor in my PSU...Even though the first time I fired it up I was using a different PSU. They also told me to try it in a different PCIE slot. I understand why even though it's quite obvious it's coming from the GPU.

What does your card sound like during firestrike(?) in furmark?

I'm using a GTX 770 SC stock

post edited by bluckshot - 2014/02/04 09:55:08
Superbxxx
Superclocked Member
Re:ACX rattle / noise problem fix 2014/02/04 12:13:30 (permalink)
bluckshot
I'm experiencing the rattling sound from fan and coil whine when running 3dmark. Using other benchmarks aren't as bad as 3dmark, that one makes it sing. Heavenly it handles better. 

Going to try the screws.
Contacted tech support whom told me that it may be due to a capacitor in my PSU...Even though the first time I fired it up I was using a different PSU. They also told me to try it in a different PCIE slot. I understand why even though it's quite obvious it's coming from the GPU.

Hi there.

Mine does not make coil whine running Heaven( i dont use 3dmark or furmark) but whem i click exit and apears an image while exiting my card whines a lot......but when it exits( and playing games) it does not whine.

It could be a from the psu or the gpu, but if it is from the gpu "they say" that it goes away after some time of using(days or longuer....etc).

As for the rattle, try the screws and keep us posted.
bluckshot
Re:ACX rattle / noise problem fix 2014/02/04 15:18:36 (permalink)
Superbxxx
bluckshot

Going to try the screws.

Hi there.

Mine does not make coil whine running Heaven( i dont use 3dmark or furmark) but whem i click exit and apears an image while exiting my card whines a lot......but when it exits( and playing games) it does not whine.

It could be a from the psu or the gpu, but if it is from the gpu "they say" that it goes away after some time of using(days or longuer....etc).

As for the rattle, try the screws and keep us posted.

I wasn't a 100% on which screw of the two mentioned that are/is top vs bottom. I'm guessing that the bottom in the one on the pcie connection side?
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Ribbons : 79
Re:ACX rattle / noise problem fix 2014/02/04 15:23:36 (permalink)
Yes,  check all of the screws on the back of the GPU,  to make sure none have slightly backed out,  especially where the rattle is coming from. 
bluckshot
Re:ACX rattle / noise problem fix 2014/02/04 16:20:35 (permalink)
Both of them are very tight, however I found something else, one of the metal pieces of the heatsink is loose, closest to the ports. Only one of them. 
post edited by bluckshot - 2014/02/04 16:34:15
Superbxxx
Superclocked Member
Re:ACX rattle / noise problem fix 2014/02/05 11:55:27 (permalink)
bluckshot
Both of them are very tight, however I found something else, one of the metal pieces of the heatsink is loose, closest to the ports. Only one of them. 

Humm....try my fiz then. And keep us posted . Best of luck.
Gwiz187
Re:ACX rattle / noise problem fix 2014/02/06 04:25:11 (permalink)
bluckshot

Exact same thing over here,i have the card ( EVGA GTX 770 SC ACX ) for a few months now and since yesterday it started making the noise,it's definitely on the ports side,i think i have to apply the same thermal tape thingy to make it stop vibrating.
This is the problem when companies stop testing their products when something this little becomes a widespread problem and you have to fix things yourself,not a stranger to fixing things myself but i rather not pay a premium price for it.

Gwiz187
Re:ACX rattle / noise problem fix 2014/02/06 05:35:00 (permalink)
When i press up against the last fin ( with a screwdriver with insulated handle ) very gently the vibration stops,not really in the mood to RMA a card and to get the same issue back so thermal tape it is.
Superbxxx
Superclocked Member
Re:ACX rattle / noise problem fix 2014/02/06 05:55:21 (permalink)
Gwiz187
When i press up against the last fin ( with a screwdriver with insulated handle ) very gently the vibration stops,not really in the mood to RMA a card and to get the same issue back so thermal tape it is.

Good luck then and keep us posted .
Gwiz187
Re:ACX rattle / noise problem fix 2014/02/06 06:30:22 (permalink)
Superbxxx
Gwiz187

Where do you usually buy such tape?,i can only find pads none of the hardware stores in the area have it.
Superbxxx
Superclocked Member
Re:ACX rattle / noise problem fix 2014/02/06 06:34:05 (permalink)
Gwiz187
Superbxxx
Gwiz187

Where do you usually buy such tape?,i can only find pads none of the hardware stores in the area have it.

I'ts a bit rare to find. But if you cant find it try it with a good electrical/insulating tape. Or try in the Ebay.
Gwiz187
Re:ACX rattle / noise problem fix 2014/02/08 16:43:27 (permalink)
Superbxxx
Gwiz187
Superbxxx
Gwiz187

I'ts a bit rare to find. But if you cant find it try it with a good electrical/insulating tape. Or try in the Ebay.

Well i still didn't buy it and the problem seems to be coming and going although the noise is much less now and can only be heard when i listen at the back of the case ( slight rattle ).
I'm happy with the performance of the card only i don't think i will buy anything from EVGA again or any other brand with so called  Active Cooling Xtreme,i have a XFX 6970 it's pretty loud fan wise but atleast i don't hear any mechanical issues,from browsing the forums about this issue it seems it was already reported sometime around september 2013 while i bought this GTX 770 SC ACX in november,to me not a good sign.

The funny part is someone recommended EVGA to me but i can't pass that recommendation myself.

But thanks for the help man,and when the noise really becomes annoying i will try the fix you were willing to share.

Edit: I had a laugh at the biosupdate though that was issued in the other thread..  :D,and just seeing the award specifically for the card i have for the lowest noise.

It makes you wonder while so many report problems if these awards are legitimate.
post edited by Gwiz187 - 2014/02/08 17:46:58
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re:ACX rattle / noise problem fix 2014/02/08 21:07:07 (permalink)
Gwiz187
Superbxxx
Gwiz187
Superbxxx
Gwiz187When i press up against the last fin ( with a screwdriver with insulated handle ) very gently the vibration stops,not really in the mood to RMA a card and to get the same issue back so thermal tape it is.

Well i still didn't buy it and the problem seems to be coming and going although the noise is much less now and can only be heard when i listen at the back of the case ( slight rattle ).
I'm happy with the performance of the card only i don't think i will buy anything from EVGA again or any other brand with so called  Active Cooling Xtreme,i have a XFX 6970 it's pretty loud fan wise but atleast i don't hear any mechanical issues,from browsing the forums about this issue it seems it was already reported sometime around september 2013 while i bought this GTX 770 SC ACX in november,to me not a good sign.

The funny part is someone recommended EVGA to me but i can't pass that recommendation myself.

But thanks for the help man,and when the noise really becomes annoying i will try the fix you were willing to share.

Edit: I had a laugh at the biosupdate though that was issued in the other thread..  :D,and just seeing the award specifically for the card i have for the lowest noise.

It makes you wonder while so many report problems if these awards are legitimate.

Think of the awards with logic of the rest of the world... You buy a Ferrari, and it get 5 mpg for gas, but the one they test get 17, so it gets the award for the best fuel mileage in the Ferrari line.

What every seems to think is that everyone single items coming off of every single assembly line is exactly the same. I am not saying it is fair, but severely unrealistic. Don't forget, the testers have one card, so they are awarding for that card, not for the entire line of cards. Watch the obsidian 250D reviews.. I have seen 5 so far, and two of them flat out said, this case is stupid, don't buy it... I have never seen either of those reviewers give bad feedback like that.

If a $18,000 to we'll over $1,000,000 car can come with major defects, causing it to burn to the ground, what makes people think computers parts can't? I am honestly baffled by all the whining and crying at this point. Get the *+ș( past it. RMA it or find an at home fix. If you can accept cars having problems and not a computer part, then priorities are flawed.

*not pointing the finger directly at anyone in this thread, but seriously, use some F*****G logic. *
post edited by Scarlet-Tech - 2014/02/08 21:11:43
chrisdglong
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
  • Total Posts : 7220
  • Ribbons : 7
Re:ACX rattle / noise problem fix 2014/02/08 22:03:12 (permalink)
Scarlet-Tech
Gwiz187
Superbxxx
Gwiz187
Superbxxx
Gwiz187When i press up against the last fin ( with a screwdriver with insulated handle ) very gently the vibration stops,not really in the mood to RMA a card and to get the same issue back so thermal tape it is.

Think of the awards with logic of the rest of the world... You buy a Ferrari, and it get 5 mpg for gas, but the one they test get 17, so it gets the award for the best fuel mileage in the Ferrari line.

What every seems to think is that everyone single items coming off of every single assembly line is exactly the same. I am not saying it is fair, but severely unrealistic. Don't forget, the testers have one card, so they are awarding for that card, not for the entire line of cards. Watch the obsidian 250D reviews.. I have seen 5 so far, and two of them flat out said, this case is stupid, don't buy it... I have never seen either of those reviewers give bad feedback like that.

If a $18,000 to we'll over $1,000,000 car can come with major defects, causing it to burn to the ground, what makes people think computers parts can't? I am honestly baffled by all the whining and crying at this point. Get the *+ș( past it. RMA it or find an at home fix. If you can accept cars having problems and not a computer part, then priorities are flawed.

*not pointing the finger directly at anyone in this thread, but seriously, use some F*****G logic. *

Your logic flew out the window when you started getting emotional. 
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re:ACX rattle / noise problem fix 2014/02/08 22:05:52 (permalink)
chrisdglong 

Where did I get emotional? I didn't realize emotions were transferable through a keyboard. Please, teach me how to control them? 
chrisdglong
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re:ACX rattle / noise problem fix 2014/02/08 23:39:22 (permalink)
Scarlet-Tech
chrisdglong 

Where did I get emotional? I didn't realize emotions were transferable through a keyboard. Please, teach me how to control them? 

"If a $18,000 to we'll over $1,000,000 car can come with major defects, causing it to burn to the ground, what makes people think computers parts can't? I am honestly baffled by all the whining and crying at this point. Get the *+ș( past it. RMA it or find an at home fix. If you can accept cars having problems and not a computer part, then priorities are flawed. 

*not pointing the finger directly at anyone in this thread, but seriously, use some F*****G logic. *"
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re:ACX rattle / noise problem fix 2014/02/08 23:46:50 (permalink)
Haha.   Glad you interpret that how you want.  Why not sell your EVGA stuff,  as you said you were,  and head out to better ventures in life?  Maybe you just like following me now?  
chrisdglong
CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
Re:ACX rattle / noise problem fix 2014/02/08 23:51:40 (permalink)
Scarlet-Tech
Haha.   Glad you interpret that how you want.  Why not sell your EVGA stuff,  as you said you were,  and head out to better ventures in life?  Maybe you just like following me now?  

"Where did I get emotional?" ^^^^^

On the other hand, I have provided nothing but logic. My card does not work as expected, I bring the issue to EVGA's forum. You, on the other hand... I will let your posts speak for themselves. Actually, I was emotional at my frustration of receiving 4 cards with horrible coil whine and one with a loud rattle noise... Who wouldn't be pissed off? These are 500-750 dollar cards... 
post edited by chrisdglong - 2014/02/08 23:57:17
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
Re:ACX rattle / noise problem fix 2014/02/08 23:58:02 (permalink)
As I said in the other posts,  why not either apply the fix, or send it in for RMA?  All I see is you complaining and not doing anything to fix it? The problem is probably the bearing in the ACX,  or the motor.   Send it back,  or since EVGA isn't directly responding to forum posts,  email Evga and post the results. I have had no issues with my cards yet.   The only thing that got me,  originally,  was the bios issue with the Classifieds,  which has been resolved.  

Now,  think about the cars,  like I said.   If your car did that,  would you just continually post on the Internet,  or would you send it back for repair? Maybe both of our logic is flawed,  but I would sure send it back before just whining about it on the Internet like you are currently doing. 

Maybe the wording should have been common sense instead of logic.... 

chrisdglong

Anyway, I just found out it does it at 65% too. This card is garbage. EVGA is crap. I'll return it and go somewhere else. EVGA has really gone downhill. I bought nothing but EVGA for about 10 years, and I bought a lot of cards, but the 780 TI issues are outrageous. 

Why not just return it and go somewhere else,  like you said? 
post edited by Scarlet-Tech - 2014/02/09 00:12:06
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 8
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile