EVGA

A little lesson on RMS power of amplifiers and subs:) also ohms, and peaks:)

Author
Cameron1234
FTW Member
  • Total Posts : 1232
  • Reward points : 0
2012/07/05 19:25:27 (permalink)
Today I will do a brief little lesson on what RMS power is, what Ohm's and Ohm's loads are, also I will cover a sub woofers peak, and how to wire 4 ohm to 2 ohm speaker loads:D

First, what is RMS power when referring to an amp or subs or speakers.

RMS-  Is the continuous power coming from the amp and to the sub, or the continuous power the sub can handle.
Example- A sub woofer has an RMS rating of 500 watts, that means you would have to match the sub woofer with an amp that outputs 500 watts RMS power, *note you can also power the sub with a 50 RMS watts above or under the rated RMS power of the sub*

Peak power- Peak power is the brief intensity the sub can handle, and or the amplifier can output.

Ohms- is a measure of resistance.
Example- rubber won't conduct electricity, as opposed to copper which will in turn allow electricity to follow easily.

Okay so to wire a 4 ohm sub to an amplifier you would hook up the positive terminal from the sub to the positive terminal on the amp, and then negative to negative.

To do a two ohm load will usually require two 4 ohm sub's or a dual voice coil sub, but to wire it for 2 ohms, you would attach the positive from one sub to the other sub and then to the amp, and then repeat the same for the negative wire.

Most time's when people wire subs they will choose a 4 ohm load, but if your drop it to a 2 ohm load you will give more power to your subs.

Below I made a diagram to help you understand

Quick note- Sub woofers are either single voice coil or dual voice coal, single voice coil means there is one magnet, while dual voice coils means there two magnets.

Also most subs are 4 ohms, but there are 3 ohm subs, and 8 ohm subs.

Amplifiers- Are all 4 ohm stable, but if you want a 2 ohm stable amp then you will have to research which amps are, and some are even 1.5 ohm stable.
*Note if you have a 4 ohm amp and try to drop it to a 2 ohm load, it may trip the protection,meaning the amp is unstable in a 2 ohm load configuration.

Also amplifiers will have different power RMS power ratings for each ohm load.
Example:Mono-block amp has an RMS power rating of 250 at 4 ohms, but if you wire the mono-block amp with two subs at 2 ohms the RMS power rating will be 500. *note these numbers aren't accurate, it's just an example*

I will update and hope you guys enjoy:)

Attached Image(s)

5 Replies Related Threads

XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re:A little lesson on RMS power of amplifiers and subs:) also ohms, and peaks:) 2012/07/05 19:46:38 (permalink)

Thanks for another tutorial!       

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    Cameron1234
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1232
    Re:A little lesson on RMS power of amplifiers and subs:) also ohms, and peaks:) 2012/07/05 19:50:43 (permalink)
    Hey man, just trying to expand peoples knowledge and everything:D

djcake123
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 678
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re:A little lesson on RMS power of amplifiers and subs:) also ohms, and peaks:) 2012/07/05 20:58:53 (permalink)
    what about a quad coil?

dual voice coil does not mean it has X amount of magnets it has to do with the way the coil is wrapped around the former (4 leads rather then 2) allowing for more flexibility for wiring you amp to the sub
    I.E. a dual 2 ohm sub can be wired to 4ohms or 1ohm
    post edited by djcake123 - 2012/07/05 21:00:45

RainStryke
    The Advocate
    • Total Posts : 15872
    • Ribbons : 60
    Re:A little lesson on RMS power of amplifiers and subs:) also ohms, and peaks:) 2012/07/05 21:01:31 (permalink)
    Not just single and dual coils, there is also quad... I used to have one.

Here it is:
    http://audiobahn.com/index.php/products/woofers/immortal-series

lol someone beat me to it...

Main PC | Secondary PC
    Intel i9 10900K | Intel i7 9700K

MSI MEG Z490 ACE | Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Master
    ASUS TUF RTX 3090 | NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super
    32GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 4000MHz CL18 | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4266MHz CL17
    SuperFlower Platinum SE 1200w | Seasonic X-1250
    Samsung EVO 970 1TB and Crucial P5 1TB | Intel 760p 1TB and Crucial MX100 512GB
    Cougar Vortex CF-V12HPB x9 | Cougar Vortex CF-V12SPB-RGB x5

3DMark Results:Time Spy|Port Royal

sinephase
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4167
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re:A little lesson on RMS power of amplifiers and subs:) also ohms, and peaks:) 2012/07/05 21:50:23 (permalink)
    You might want to explain how you ascertain the ratings, etc.
    In electricity RMS is the average power calculation for an alternating current. If you figured it out without root-mean-square you'd actually average 0 watts, so they take multiple instantaneous values from along the waveform and basically average them together to get close to the true average power over time.
    It's possible that the "peak" you're talking about would be the peak power in that waveform, idk, but that would make more sense to me.
    I'm not sure how things are rated for audio systems but you'll want to make sure all the wiring and connections can handle whatever amperage you're drawing through them, like that other thread where the dude's terminals melted. That shouldn't happen.
    post edited by sinephase - 2012/07/06 08:39:43

The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd.
    Bertrand Russell
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile