A great documentary on the food industry and the obesity epidemic

Author
kaninja
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 8755
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 25
2014/09/20 14:12:41 (permalink)
I watched this the other night and thought it was really well done.  As obesity rates have continued to climb over the last 30 years this documentary does a good job at pointing out why.  Fat isn't what makes us fat.

Corsair 650D   -  i5 3570K @ 4.6GHz  -  Corsair H80i  -  MSI Z77 M-Power  -  16GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator Platinum
WD 1TB Caviar Black x2  -  OCZ 120GB Vertex2 SSD  -  Corsair HX620  -  GTX285 SSC  -  Samsung T240  -  DIR-655

11 Replies Related Threads

RainStryke
    The Advocate
    • Total Posts : 15872
    • Ribbons : 60
    Re: A great documentary on the food industry and the obesity epidemic 2014/09/20 16:57:21 (permalink)
    I remember back in 2009 or so, a member here posted about 10 video's, each being about 1 hour long about the way our country is headed and what is to come and who is really running the world. Our source of food is under attack as well as our source of drinking water, on top of our way of living. Just as they mentioned how powerful the sugar industry is, so is the aluminum industry with our government subsidizing them through purchasing fluoride and putting it in our water. The seed industry for farming is accountable for a major part of our crops that use genetically modified seeds in a way that they yield more product than ever but only provide for one harvest because it was designed to die off after harvesting... Making farmers more and more dependent on those seeds every year just to make a living. That is just one of many war front's our country is dealing with, not to mention our countries economy, poverty on the rise, our internet, our education system, and much more being attacked by large corporations in the name of profit margins.
    post edited by RainStryke - 2014/09/20 16:59:34

Main PC | Secondary PC
    Intel i9 10900K | Intel i7 9700K

MSI MEG Z490 ACE | Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Master
    ASUS TUF RTX 3090 | NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super
    32GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 4000MHz CL18 | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4266MHz CL17
    SuperFlower Platinum SE 1200w | Seasonic X-1250
    Samsung EVO 970 1TB and Crucial P5 1TB | Intel 760p 1TB and Crucial MX100 512GB
    Cougar Vortex CF-V12HPB x9 | Cougar Vortex CF-V12SPB-RGB x5

3DMark Results:Time Spy|Port Royal

LearjetMinako
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1246
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: A great documentary on the food industry and the obesity epidemic 2014/09/20 17:53:00 (permalink)
    Added it my Netflix movie list.  Should have it to watch this week.

On the note of sugar.  I'm trying to cut back on foods with sugar, kind of hard to when almost everything on the shelf has it in it.  Been also trying to cut back on sodas, going through the withdraw stage. 

Crystal: Intel i7 930 3.6GHz(OC) / EVGA X58 758 / 3x 4GB Corsair XMS3 / GTX 660Ti FTW+ / 2x GTX 560Ti SLI
    Quartz (mothball): Intel i7 2600k 3.8GHz / EVGA Z77 Stinger mITX / 2x 4GB Corsair XMS3 / GTX 660Ti SC
    Mercury: Intel i5 3570k 4.2GHz(OC) / ASRock Z68 mITX / 1x 4GB Corsair XMS3 / 2x GTX 1660 Super
    Cobalt: Intel i7 4710HQ 2.5Ghz / ASUS GL551JM-DH71 / 2 x 8GB / GTX 860m - Gaming/Physics/Astronomy Laptop
    "Honesty" - Means telling the truth to your girlfriend comes at a price.
    kaninja
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: A great documentary on the food industry and the obesity epidemic 2014/09/20 21:50:58 (permalink)
    LearjetMinako
    Added it my Netflix movie list.  Should have it to watch this week.

On the note of sugar.  I'm trying to cut back on foods with sugar, kind of hard to when almost everything on the shelf has it in it.  Been also trying to cut back on sodas, going through the withdraw stage. 

A couple of years ago I ran into this guy I thought was a stupid crazy conspiracy theorist.  He kept going on about sugar and it's role in obesity and a slew of health conditions and that eating fats was the least of our worries.  I'm not talking about the sugar you normally get from fruits and vegetables, I'm talking about added sugar in processed foods.  Well, I gave it a try and cut out as much sugar as I could.  Pop, beer, juice, all processed foods that I could.  Within 4 months I had lost 25 lbs. and could see the definition in my abs for the first time in 20 years.  I've maintained it too.  I still eat steak, chicken , fish, eggs, cheese, rice, potatoes, all fruits and veggies, etc., and even pizza, but I stay away from almost all processed foods and I don't add sugar to anything.  I drank so much pop for years and all I got was that stupid belly....good riddance.

The best thing is that I taught my kids how to read labels on packaging.  My 7 year old daughter will now pick up something and say "mmm this looks good".  Then she will read the label and put it back saying "30 grams of sugar per serving...NO WAY".  Eating well starts at home.  It isn't up to the government or industry to feed my kids right, that is my job.  However, it is up to them to be as transparent as possible and have their markets best interest at heart.  When an industry fights tooth and nail to keep % daily value limits for sugar off of all food packaging......well there is something terribly wrong with that.

Added sugar isn't necessary for our bodies and sugar is not empty calories......a calorie is not a calorie when it comes to sugar.
    post edited by kaninja - 2014/09/20 21:52:55

Corsair 650D   -  i5 3570K @ 4.6GHz  -  Corsair H80i  -  MSI Z77 M-Power  -  16GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator Platinum
    WD 1TB Caviar Black x2  -  OCZ 120GB Vertex2 SSD  -  Corsair HX620  -  GTX285 SSC  -  Samsung T240  -  DIR-655

manny8127
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 445
    Re: A great documentary on the food industry and the obesity epidemic 2014/09/20 23:11:15 (permalink)
    As an amateur bodybuilder for the last 4 years, I can honestly say that my greatest and most helpful discovery was realizing the fact that at the end of the day the only thing that matters in terms of dropping and gaining weight is calories in vs calories out. I eat WHATEVER I want; this includes ANY processed foods and sugars etc. This might be hard to accept for many, but it's the cold hard truth. It all comes down to how many calories you eat vs how many you burn, NOT SUGAR! You have absolutely no idea how many cookies, ice cream, and donuts I've eaten these past few years and have still continued to get in better physical conditioning. Don't get me wrong, I am in no means talking about overall health, I'm talking in terms of dropping and gaining weight. I'm speaking from personal experience, however it has become a bodybuilding trend to eat whatever you want as long as it fits into your daily macros. I just take it a step further and only manage daily calories and protein intake.

Very controversial subject in bodybuilding, but you can seriously look into "If it fits your macros" (IFFYM). Works like a charm. Also see "twinkie diet", where a man conducts an experiment by only eating Twinkies all day and still lose weight.

post edited by manny8127 - 2014/09/20 23:23:04

Intel Core i7 6700k @ 4.0 GHZ
    Evga z170 FTW
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDr4 3200
    Evga Gtx 1070 FE
    kaninja
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: A great documentary on the food industry and the obesity epidemic 2014/09/20 23:45:04 (permalink)
    manny8127
    As an amateur bodybuilder for the last 4 years, I can honestly say that my greatest and most helpful discovery was realizing the fact that at the end of the day the only thing that matters in terms of dropping and gaining weight is calories in vs calories out. I eat WHATEVER I want; this includes ANY processed foods and sugars etc. This might be hard to accept for many, but it's the cold hard truth. It all comes down to how many calories you eat vs how many you burn, NOT SUGAR! You have absolutely no idea how many cookies, ice cream, and donuts I've eaten these past few years and have still continued to get in better physical conditioning. Don't get me wrong, I am in no means talking about overall health, I'm talking in terms of dropping and gaining weight. I'm speaking from personal experience, however it has become a bodybuilding trend to eat whatever you want as long as it fits into your daily macros. I just take it a step further and only manage daily calories and protein intake.

Very controversial subject in bodybuilding, but you can seriously look into "If it fits your macros" (IFFYM). Works like a charm. Also see "twinkie diet", where a man conducts an experiment by only eating Twinkies all day and still lose weight.

There is no argument any longer about the negative health effects of consuming excessive sugar.  Being a body builder or marathon runner isn't what we are talking about here.  We are talking about the population at large and the ever increasing diabetic epidemic, especially in children.  If the cure is for everyone to become a body builder, well then that is a problem.  I can also tell you why body builders and marathon runners are more sugar tolerant, as their livers can use the excess fructose to repair their bodies.  However, what I see in the gym when a lot of the ripped guys stop working out for a few months but they keep eating the same crap....they get fat, and they get fat fast!

The thing is it shouldn't be the rule people have to go to the gym, it should be the exception.  We need to move and exercise I agree, but food companies dumping sugar into everything and saying it is OK there is no limit that is bad for you, especially in schools is BS.  I look at my daughters hot lunch program and I opt out because it is a complete JOKE....pizza, hot dogs, hamburgers, chips, pop, juice, fries, fried chicken, cookies, ice cream.  The two healthiest choices is bottled water and apple slices.  The kids are still active, playing outside, running, in sports programs, but there are SO MANY FAT CHILDREN.

It all starts with the parents, and it is our responsibility.  However, the people who supply the food to our countries need to be held accountable for what they do too.  Saying 2 litres of Coke is just as healthy a beverage option as water is not quite being honest.

RainStryke

Funny you mention that. I watched a documentary on a body builder that would eat McDonald's every day. The guy had huge muscles and he was burning calories like crazy. But it didn't stop him from having a heart attack from eating so crappy... You can get muscles and look good but still eat bad foods and have all kinds of health problems later on.

Exactly.  A lot of body builders that don't eat well end up with fatty liver disease and all the downstream metabolic diseases that go with it.  Your muscles will use whatever is available to them to repair and get bigger.....but your organs are another story.  Big ripped body builders with cholesterol levels through the roof because they are filling up on garbage calories aren't all that healthy.  Not saying all body builders are unhealthy, but what you eat plays a MASSIVE role on your health.
    post edited by kaninja - 2014/09/20 23:53:48

RainStryke
    The Advocate
    • Total Posts : 15872
    • Ribbons : 60
    Re: A great documentary on the food industry and the obesity epidemic 2014/09/20 23:45:59 (permalink)
    manny8127

Funny you mention that. I watched a documentary on a body builder that would eat McDonald's every day. The guy had huge muscles and he was burning calories like crazy. But it didn't stop him from having a heart attack from eating so crappy... You can get muscles and look good but still eat bad foods and have all kinds of health problems later on.

Main PC | Secondary PC
    Intel i9 10900K | Intel i7 9700K

MSI MEG Z490 ACE | Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Master
    ASUS TUF RTX 3090 | NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super
    32GB G.Skill Trident Z Royal 4000MHz CL18 | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 4266MHz CL17
    SuperFlower Platinum SE 1200w | Seasonic X-1250
    Samsung EVO 970 1TB and Crucial P5 1TB | Intel 760p 1TB and Crucial MX100 512GB
    Cougar Vortex CF-V12HPB x9 | Cougar Vortex CF-V12SPB-RGB x5

3DMark Results:Time Spy|Port Royal

manny8127
    iCX Member
    • Total Posts : 445
    Re: A great documentary on the food industry and the obesity epidemic 2014/09/21 10:41:13 (permalink)
    If you're referring to CT Fletcher about the heart attack, the man was also on anabolic steroids and other performance enhancing drugs. As far as health is concerned, I would still consider myself healthier then the average Joe just by simply watching my caloric and daily protein intake, let alone the cardio and weight training. Ultimately, what I'm trying to say is that obesity is directly linked to HOW MUCH you eat, not WHAT you eat. 

Intel Core i7 6700k @ 4.0 GHZ
    Evga z170 FTW
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDr4 3200
    Evga Gtx 1070 FE
    kaninja
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: A great documentary on the food industry and the obesity epidemic 2014/09/21 11:42:06 (permalink)
    Unfortunately it is what we eat. The sugar industry will testify there is no difference between 1000 calories from added sugar and 1000 from whole foods....a calorie is a calorie is a calorie is what they claim. However the liver cannot deal with all the added sugar so many people eat....and it converts all the excess fructose to fat.

I tested this theory on myself. Caloric intake remained the same but I kicked out added sugar and added more whole food sources. Workout routine remained the same and my belly disappeared in a few short months. I'm sorry, but you cannot eat healthily eating nothing but high sodium high sugar processed foods.

transdogmifier
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6116
    • Ribbons : 17
    Re: A great documentary on the food industry and the obesity epidemic 2014/09/21 14:46:46 (permalink)
    kaninja
    Unfortunately it is what we eat. The sugar industry will testify there is no difference between 1000 calories from added sugar and 1000 from whole foods....a calorie is a calorie is a calorie is what they claim. However the liver cannot deal with all the added sugar so many people eat....and it converts all the excess fructose to fat.

I tested this theory on myself. Caloric intake remained the same but I kicked out added sugar and added more whole food sources. Workout routine remained the same and my belly disappeared in a few short months. I'm sorry, but you cannot eat healthily eating nothing but high sodium high sugar processed foods.

Yes, but you made the choice. No one, including government, made it for you.

AMD Ryzen 7900x3d
    Deepcool LT720
    Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X670 (Might change..don't like this board)
    eVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming (Hybrid kit on it)
    Asus ROG Swift PG43UQ 4k Monitor
    eVGA 1600W Supernova T2 PSU
    32GB Kingston 6000 DDR5 (2x16GB) Fury
    Corsair MP600 Pro 2TB (Boot)
    Corsair MP600 2TB (Games/Data)
    Phanteks P500A Case

kaninja
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    Re: A great documentary on the food industry and the obesity epidemic 2014/09/21 15:49:37 (permalink)
    transdogmifier
    kaninja

Yes, but you made the choice. No one, including government, made it for you.

Yes, and I don't want the government to make the choice of what I eat.....but nobody is talking about that.  How much sugar is bad for you?  10 grams per day....50 grams.....200 grams.....no amount at all is bad for you?  That is a genuine question, and the FDA and Health Canada to this day do not include a recommended daily limit on ANY food labels for sugar.  So someone looking at such a label would think, well that's cool....I don't need to worry about getting too much or not enough of it.  However The World Health Organization recommends recommends no more than 10% of daily calories should come from sugar, but the target should be 5% or lower.  However, still nothing recommended by the FDA or Health Canada officially.  I suppose the WHO is just trying to ruin our fun and make decisions for us.  They are just recommendations, guidelines if you will.  However if the food industry isn't willing to admit to any harm, and that all levels are safe......well that isn't quite right.....along with marketing sugar laden products directly to children.

I don't know what the answer is, but nobody is talking about a Gestapo type Government organization coming to your house and confiscating your Fruit Loops.  However, when the sugar lobby goes all ape crazy and lobbies to have funding to the WHO pulled for recommending lower added sugar consumption, or goes on the offensive with "nanny state", "Government making your choices for you" statements, and saying stuff like "your body needs sugar to survive"......I find such tactics highly questionable.  Yes they have profits to protect, but at what cost.  I say they need some regulation, even if that regulation is nothing more than forcing them to tell the full truth and giving all the facts to the consumer.  An industry that says a bottle of Coke is a good alternative option to water for hydration is highly questionable.  That is all I am saying.

The American Heart Association has some good guidelines.

American Heart Association
    Limit your consumption of foods with high amounts of added sugars, such as sugar-sweetened beverages. Just one 12-ounce can of regular soda contains eight teaspoons of sugar, or 130 calories and zero nutrition.

How much is just right?
    The American Heart Association (AHA) recommends limiting the amount of added sugars you consume to no more than half of your daily discretionary calories allowance. For most American women, that’s no more than 100 calories per day, or about 6 teaspoons of sugar. For men, it’s 150 calories per day, or about 9 teaspoons. The AHA recommendations focus on all added sugars, without singling out any particular types such as high-fructose corn syrup.  For more detailed information and guidance on sugar intake limits, see the scientific statement in the August 2009 issue of Circulation, Journal of the American Heart Association.

Source

post edited by kaninja - 2014/09/21 16:36:45

lenfish
    • Total Posts : 93
    Re: A great documentary on the food industry and the obesity epidemic 2014/09/22 12:24:15 (permalink)
    Don't know if it's the same in the States, but the problem here in the UK is that the list of foods that are good/bad for you changes on a regular basis. One month something is good for you, next month it's bad for you, usually as a result of a "scientific" study. 
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile