EVGA

Helpful Reply980 Ti Reference design + hydro kit or 980 Ti hydro?

Author
dzdiode
  • Total Posts : 13
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/11/26 19:57:05 (permalink)
Hi guys, i need help to make a good choice (maybe the right one).
Im thinking to buy two 980 Ti and im a bit confused. I have to use them for computation (GPU rendering) so the cards will run pratically all time on full!
Do to a tight budget, im thinking to buy the air cooled ones and a few months later i pick two hydro kits (maybe on sale) to liquid cool them.
Taking the reference design its because of the possibility of hydro kit installation.
So the question is, is it a good idea? Or maybe buy the hydro one and not modding the reference? wich is the cheapest solution?
Question 2: i know that the 980 Ti hydro is factory overclocked, and not the reference design, so can i get the same performence if i install the hydro kit on the reference design?

Thanks a lot guys :)

ASUS P9X79 WS - i7 4930K - H100i - 64GB DDR3 1600 - ZOTAC GTX 970 - EVGA GTX 980 Ti HYBRID - SAMSUNG SSD Pro - BeQuiet! PSU 1000W 80+ GOLD - Fractal Design R4
the_Scarlet_one
formerly Scarlet-tech
  • Total Posts : 24581
  • Ribbons : 79
Re: 980 Ti Reference design + hydro kit or 980 Ti hydro? 2015/11/26 21:46:18 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby dzdiode 2015/11/27 15:22:01
If you want the factory overclock, you should purchase the Hydro directly. This guarantees the card will run at those clocks, and if it doesn't, you can get a warranty without issues.

The only issue with buying the reference card is loading any bios, other than the one directly from the factory risks warranty issues and the card may not be stable at the Hydro specific clocks. If that happens, or for some odd reason the card dies because of the bios switch, then you may have issues. It's easier to avoid them if you are going to spend the money on the Hydro kit later to just save a little longer to get them right away.

If you are comfortable flashing bios', you could get the reference and later buy the Hydro kit, and then flash a bios to make it run a little faster than stock. Once you do this, you have to make sure you save all of the original hardware so that you can return the card to 100% stock if you have to RMA the card. Losing the screws is a $10 charge +$6 shipping. Losing them for two cards would cost $26 just to start, and without them your card would be refused a warranty claim. So make sure you save them in a secure location. Generally, installing them in the cooler after it is removed and placing the cooler in the factory box is a good practice.

Basically, you have options either way. It mostly depends on how comfortable you are with the hardware changes and firmware changes.
Makalaure
  • Total Posts : 30
Re: 980 Ti Reference design + hydro kit or 980 Ti hydro? 2015/11/26 22:54:19 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby dzdiode 2015/11/27 15:18:06
You don't necessarily have to change the bios, you can make all of the necessary changes in Afterburner or Precision X. The Hybrid is simply +140 on the core clock. I know this because I have both of the bios' saved on my comp and have compared the two directly. To be honest, if you can afford it, it would be easier to just buy the hybrids up front. I bought the hybrid kit for my reference MSI card, and it is super easy to install if you're even remotely technically-minded, but then the hybrid didn't exist when I bought my card. It's worth spending 10mins comparing prices and see if you think it is worth paying the difference vs spending approx. 30mins - 1hour extra installation time to fit the kits (providing you have the correct tools) and *potentially* having warranty issues should the worst occur. I am confident in my technical skills as I am an Engineer by trade, so I had no qualms about ripping it apart and even sinking my teeth in to modding a new bios for it, and know that I can put everything back together the correct way if anything goes wrong so as to avoid any potential warranty issues.

As with everything, it's swings and roundabouts, and only you can decide what balance of risk/reward is acceptable to you.
dzdiode
  • Total Posts : 13
Re: 980 Ti Reference design + hydro kit or 980 Ti hydro? 2015/11/27 15:19:22 (permalink)
Thanks a lot guys! So finally, i will go with the factory hydro ones, i get one and later in the year i get the second.
peace.

ASUS P9X79 WS - i7 4930K - H100i - 64GB DDR3 1600 - ZOTAC GTX 970 - EVGA GTX 980 Ti HYBRID - SAMSUNG SSD Pro - BeQuiet! PSU 1000W 80+ GOLD - Fractal Design R4
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile