EVGA

980 FTW SLI Voltage bug due to under-volt lock in bios 1.212 when max should be 1.250

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
antandbetty
iCX Member
  • Total Posts : 318
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/03/09 23:09:28 (permalink)
I am sure most of you are aware of the sli voltage bug that seems to have been around forever and which Nvidia denies exists. In order to reach matching volts on the second gpu you need to overclock the top GPU only and yet it still did not seem 100% stable for me. I spoke to EVGA and the rep is aware of the sli bug and is also aware that the nvidia driver is most likely at fault. I did not want to use afterburner on start up just to get stable voltage out of my sli setup so i modified the bios but not to the level that you will find in the so called "game stable" bios link below.

The max voltage I used was 1.250 and I left any setting EVGA had above 1.250 at there setting. I did not increase the TDP or the watts on the rail or the pcie slot. my cards are ASIC quality is 77 & 66. I don't really overclock them much but have no issue now getting to 1500mhz in SLI which was impossible before as the lower card was running almost 100mv lower then the top.  I am posting the BIOS and the link showing how to mod it further if you want and instruction on how to flash it. nvflash is on the site also. 

The rep from EVGA sent a request to there engineering team to set up a SLI rig and measure the voltage. He suggested this may put some pressure on Nvidia if it is a driver issue. The issue is simple for those who are not aware of it. What ever card you place in the lower PCIE slot will run at a lower voltage ONLY when you enable SLI. In my case it was almost 100mv lower which is insanely low. 

Issue is a hard voltage lock at 1.212 volts.  A 600 dollar FTW 980. Not a driver bug or a bios error. I want stability not 1 million volts & when you have two cars 1 at 66% ASIC quality that need more volts the a 77% one causes the instability at stock evga clocks & low hard locked voltage. 

The super clocked card get to 1.260 and it is cheaper!

post edited by antandbetty - 2015/03/11 01:12:06

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free" R.R.

46 Replies Related Threads

Vayne4800
    • Total Posts : 91
    Re: Modified Bios for 980 FTW SLI Voltage bug 2015/03/09 23:53:35 (permalink)
    I have the same issue on my SLI setup regarding the voltage difference and indeed it can be as high as 100mV. Though I am afraid to flash to a custom BIOS so would really like to see a proper solution from nVidia in an upcoming driver. The guys are pooling their resources into Titan X though, so don't see a fix is happening anytime soon :/
    antandbetty
    iCX Member
    Re: Modified Bios for 980 FTW SLI Voltage bug 2015/03/10 08:16:16 (permalink)
    Unfortunately nvidia has been denying this is an issue...here is there latest statement regarding the "non issue" on page seven of the latest driver release 347.52  ...  They are in denial or just plain old ignorant . So that leaves us, or maybe EVGA to fix the issue. 

Statement below from nvidia is correct assuming there is not an under-volt hard lock on the bios.

"Differing GPU Voltages in SLI Mode When non-identical GPUs are used in SLI mode, they may run at different voltages. This occurs because the GPU clocks are kept as close as possible, and the clock of the higher performance GPU is limited by that of the other. One benefit is that the higher performance GPU saves power by running at slightly reduced voltages. An end-user gains nothing by attempting to raise the voltage of the higher performance GPU because its clocks must not exceed those of the other GPU."

Vayne4800
    I have the same issue on my SLI setup regarding the voltage difference and indeed it can be as high as 100mV. Though I am afraid to flash to a custom BIOS so would really like to see a proper solution from nVidia in an upcoming driver. The guys are pooling their resources into Titan X though, so don't see a fix is happening anytime soon :/

post edited by antandbetty - 2015/03/11 01:04:46

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free" R.R.
    ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 21174
    • Ribbons : 270
    Re: Modified Bios for 980 FTW SLI Voltage bug 2015/03/10 12:20:59 (permalink)
    It is quite rare to find cards with the same voltage at the same clock speeds and loads. The core voltage is adjusted automatically based on the core's VID. In other words, it is not a "bug" and is very normal. If you have stability issues, that is another issue; unless you can prove that the card uses Y voltage at a certain speed and load in SLI but X voltage at the same speed and load when not in SLI.
    antandbetty
    iCX Member
    Re: Modified Bios for 980 FTW SLI Voltage bug 2015/03/10 17:28:33 (permalink)
    stability was my main issue. 100mv difference is unacceptable. The voltage sometime still is a little less on the bottom card which is normal....but no where near 100 mv. 

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Modified Bios for 980 FTW SLI Voltage bug 2015/03/10 17:55:01 (permalink)
    antandbetty
    stability was my main issue. 100mv difference is unacceptable. The voltage sometime still is a little less on the bottom card which is normal....but no where near 100 mv. 

As I said, stability is a separate issue unless you can show that the voltage per frequency/load is different with SLI enabled versus SLI disabled.

In other words:
    Try cards each on their own.  Stress test them, write down the load, voltage, frequency, and temperature.  Install both of them, enable SLI, and write down the load, voltage, frequency, and temperature.
    If you can prove that at the exact same load, voltage, frequency, and temperature, each card's voltage is different with SLI enabled than it was with SLI disabled, then you might be on to something.  Otherwise, you cannot prove that SLI causes the video cards to use sub-optimal voltage.

The video cards will almost always have different voltages in SLI and that is perfectly normal and fine.  Hundreds of thousands of people have SLI systems with different voltages between the cards and have no problem.  Unless the video cards have exactly the same VID, the voltages will always be different.

If you have an unstable video card which needs more voltage to be stable, that does not prove that there is a bug.  All it proves is that you have an unstable video card.  The only way you can prove that there is a bug is if you can prove that SLI somehow forces the card to run at voltages different than what it would normally run in the exact same circumstances.  The video cards automatically choose their proper voltages via the BIOS and they will almost always have slightly different voltages at the same time due to different VIDs.  You would need to somehow prove that the drivers are manualy overriding the BIOS and forcing the cards to use less voltage when SLI is enabled.
    post edited by ty_ger07 - 2015/03/10 18:07:06
    antandbetty
    iCX Member
    Re: Modified Bios for 980 FTW SLI Voltage bug 2015/03/10 19:30:10 (permalink)
    I just confirmed that the 980 ftw is voltage locked at 1.212 volts in bios. For what (Deleted for Foul Language) reason i have no idea! These cards are going back. 
    post edited by XrayMan - 2015/03/10 22:54:40

HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: Modified Bios for 980 FTW SLI Voltage bug 2015/03/10 20:05:10 (permalink)
    antandbetty
    I just confirmed that the 980 ftw is voltage locked at 1.212 volts in bios. For what (Deleted/Quoting Foul Language) reason i have no idea! These cards are going back. 

So you don't blow up the cards. They can't allow unlimited voltage and honor warranties. Good luck on ever being happy I guess.
    post edited by XrayMan - 2015/03/10 22:55:21

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

antandbetty
    iCX Member
    Re: Modified Bios for 980 FTW SLI Voltage bug 2015/03/10 21:55:14 (permalink)
    1.212? the max voltage on a Maxwell 980 "safe" is 1.250 ...what the heck do we have a volt slider for if it cant work? At least let me get to max volts....we purchase high end hardware to overclock not be limited by a bios lock. there is no bios lock on a k series Intel chip. If i am dumb enough to fry my GPU let i deserve not to have a 600 dollar card. I have overclocking for years and i have never seen a limit set so low let alone on a "ftw". The SCC get higher volts... i just read they can over-volt to 1.260. This is ridiculous. 

MAX VOLTAGE http://www.anandtech.com/...orce-gtx-980-review/22

HeavyHemi
    antandbetty
    I just confirmed that the 980 ftw is voltage locked at 1.212 volts in bios. For what (Deleted for Foul Language) reason i have no idea! These cards are going back. 

So you don't blow up the cards. They can't allow unlimited voltage and honor warranties. Good luck on ever being happy I guess.

post edited by antandbetty - 2015/03/11 01:02:53

gagacPTrambo
    • Total Posts : 10
    Re: Modified Bios for 980 FTW SLI Voltage bug 2015/03/10 22:52:52 (permalink)
    antandbetty
    1.212? the max voltage on a Maxwell 980 "safe" is 1.250 ...what the heck do we have a volt slider for if it cant work? At least let me get to max volts....we purchase high end hardware to overclock not be limited by a bios lock. there is no bios lock on a k series Intel chip. If i am dumb enough to fry my GPU let i deserve not to have a 600 dollar card. I have overclocking for years and i have never seen a limit set so low let alone on a "ftw". The SCC get higher volts... i just read they can over-volt to 1.260. This is ridiculous. 

HeavyHemi
    antandbetty
    I just confirmed that the 980 ftw is voltage locked at 1.212 volts in bios. For what (Deleted/Quoting Foul Language) reason i have no idea! These cards are going back. 

hi there i am also surprise that my asus gtx 980 strix is voltage locked on 1.212v and even reference gtx 980 is voltage capable up to 1.24v +- ....
    this is just unacceptable!!!!

post edited by XrayMan - 2015/03/10 22:56:45
    XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: Modified Bios for 980 FTW SLI Voltage bug 2015/03/10 22:58:43 (permalink)

Reminder that using Foul Language, and/or quoting it is not allowed. Please refrain from it as this is a family friendly forum.

Inappropriate Language - The EVGA forums are family-friendly.  Many members have children who also view these forums, and these forums are intended to be accommodating to them, as well.  Profanity is not permitted in pictures or posts on the forums and will earn a warning if posted. Discussion of bodily functions, whether vulgar or humorous, is inappropriate for these forums.  Moreover, using acronyms or censoring the word by use of characters to mask profanity or other inappropriate language will not be tolerated.  This applies to text, pictures, videos, or any external links contained in a post.  Finally, users whose usernames containing inappropriate language or references to illegal activity will be given a chance to change their username, or it will be changed for them.

http://forums.evga.com/EVGA-Forums-Terms-of-Use-m4682.aspx

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    antandbetty
    iCX Member
    Re: Modified Bios for 980 FTW SLI Voltage bug 2015/03/11 00:31:20 (permalink)
    gagacPTrambo
    antandbetty

HeavyHemi
    antandbetty

So you don't blow up the cards. They can't allow unlimited voltage and honor warranties. Good luck on ever being happy I guess. I will be happy when i get what i pay for & nothing less...

hi there i am also surprise that my asus gtx 980 strix is voltage locked on 1.212v and even reference gtx 980 is voltage capable up to 1.24v +- ....
    this is just unacceptable!!!!

Unacceptable is an understatement. ROG is under voltaging  there cards too?! The "republic of gamers"  just turned into the soviet union is far as i am concerned. I am in shock still. I though it was a driver bug that i could not go over 1.2 or an error in the bios until i delved deeper and figured out that it was LOCKED AT 1.212 VOLTS! meanwhile the cheaper super-clocked goes beyond 1.250! We are being "cant say the word" royally
    There would be no stability issue in sli if it let the driver clock to its bios table highs!  I am a life long customer but if this goes uncorrected i will move on. What a shame....What genius decided to lock a for the lose card at an under-volt! I am so mad right now after spending 1200 dollars I cant even begin to tell you.... but i will be telling someone tomorrow. Bios is flashed back to original and SLI is totally unstable again. Thank you EVGA.
    post edited by antandbetty - 2015/03/11 01:15:04

antandbetty
    iCX Member
    Re: Modified Bios for 980 FTW SLI Voltage bug 2015/03/11 00:32:26 (permalink)

Sorry but i thought the asterisk in the preview was OK. wont happen again i am just steaming right now.

XrayMan

Reminder that using Foul Language, and/or quoting it is not allowed. Please refrain from it as this is a family friendly forum.

Inappropriate Language - The EVGA forums are family-friendly.  Many members have children who also view these forums, and these forums are intended to be accommodating to them, as well.  Profanity is not permitted in pictures or posts on the forums and will earn a warning if posted. Discussion of bodily functions, whether vulgar or humorous, is inappropriate for these forums.  Moreover, using acronyms or censoring the word by use of characters to mask profanity or other inappropriate language will not be tolerated.  This applies to text, pictures, videos, or any external links contained in a post.  Finally, users whose usernames containing inappropriate language or references to illegal activity will be given a chance to change their username, or it will be changed for them.

http://forums.evga.com/EVGA-Forums-Terms-of-Use-m4682.aspx

ty_ger07
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re: Modified Bios for 980 FTW SLI Voltage bug 2015/03/11 06:56:50 (permalink)
    Bios is flashed back to original and SLI is totally unstable again. Thank you EVGA.

Test each card one at a time. Are both cards stable on their own? And of course, what about what I said above about writing this stuff down?
    XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re: Modified Bios for 980 FTW SLI Voltage bug 2015/03/11 08:04:52 (permalink)
    antandbetty

Sorry but i thought the asterisk in the preview was OK. wont happen again i am just steaming right now.

It was post #7, not post #1. Anyway, you know what word it was. Carry on.

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    antandbetty
    iCX Member
    Re: Modified Bios for 980 FTW SLI Voltage bug 2015/03/11 12:56:08 (permalink)
    ty_ger07
    Bios is flashed back to original and SLI is totally unstable again. Thank you EVGA.

Test each card one at a time. Are both cards stable on their own? And of course, what about what I said above about writing this stuff down?

Very stable

Here is both the ftw & the super clocked bios voltage screen shots showing FTW on the left is capped at 1.212 and the lower priced sc is allowed to go over nvidia safe voltage of 1.250 and is set to 1.262!

thebski
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 958
    • Ribbons : 5
    Re: Modified Bios for 980 FTW SLI Voltage bug 2015/03/11 13:40:34 (permalink)
    I actually returned 2x 980 SC's because of this issue a few months ago.

The issue stems from the fact that Maxwell will down clock the higher boosting card to match the lower boosting card by default. If I remember correctly, I had like a 1419 booster and a 1393 booster. The 1419 card would boost down to 1393 and lose two voltage bins because of it. Those voltage bins were not recoverable because individual card voltage offsets did not work with Precision or MSI afterburner. I could add voltage to both cards simultaneously, but that was useless because it was adding unneeded voltage to my 1393 booster causing it to hit the power limit and throttle. So I was stuck with abnormally low voltage on my best card, meaning it was the card causing instability despite it being a better card.

Unwilling to fight the fight, I just returned them. It was kind of a shame as they were both great cards, both very stable well over 1500 Mhz, by themselves. Put them together and the better card became unstable well below where it should.

I was/am really sick of the lock downs on these expensive cards. I understand not being able to pump unlimited voltage into them, but I wasn't trying to do anything outside of factory voltage or power limits, but due to unnecessary locks placed on voltage control, I couldn't run what my cards were so willing to run. I flashed the bios on my $1000 Titans, my 780's, and my 780 Ti's for a while because that's what it took to get them to run at their potential even on factory voltage. I finally decided enough was enough and it wasn't my job to void my warranty by fixing Nvidia's garbage bios' on my expensive GPU's. I don't regret returning the 980s one bit.

Having a little bit of voltage control within factory voltages is not out of the realm of being reasonable, but apparently Nvidia thinks it is. It also annoys me to no end that on the highest end cards they can't put in an extra power phase and increase the power target by an amount that actually will let you over volt. Both my 780 Ti's and those 980's could not over volt at all without having an adverse effect on clock speeds due to throttling. Basically, the voltage you saw out of box was the voltage you would reach the highest clock on because it would bump the power limits, and raising voltage only caused severe throttling. Heck, my Titans could not maintain clock speeds 100% stock due to throttling. Is it so much to ask to have a little bit of power headroom on a $600-$1000 GPU? I guess so.

Edit: I somewhat misread your issue. I read it as two 980 FTW's, one being better than the other. My problem was a little different, but just as aggravating.
    post edited by thebski - 2015/03/11 13:49:18

Asus Maximus X Apex || Intel Core i7-8700K @ 5.2 Ghz 1.376V || 16 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum SE @ 4133 C17 || EVGA GTX 1080 || EVGA 850 T2 || Saumsung 950 Pro 512 GB || Samsung 960 Pro 1 TB || Saumsung 850 Pro 1 TB || Creative ZxR ||
    antandbetty
    iCX Member
    Re: Modified Bios for 980 FTW SLI Voltage bug 2015/03/11 13:55:07 (permalink)
    That about sums it up. 1 point to make.... Nvidia requires a cap of 1.250 which you are correct as to why limit us? Why make a tool called precision and show that you can "over volt" a card that is incapable of going over the limit in the bios...EVGA customizes the nvidia bios for there own PCB so in truth it is an EVGA fault for under volting this card. I have never been so aggravated in my life over a stupid GPU. But when you spend the amount of money you and i and many other have you expect a quality product that can perform as stated. Not an unstable system due to what i believe is the truth......I believe the 980 ftw card was under volted, as they don't want it out performing the classified,  kingpin, or the Hydro. 

What did you replace them with and how are the new ones performing? 

I wonder if this thread will "disappear" I just saved it to my hard drive in case it does... 

thebski
    I actually returned 2x 980 SC's because of this issue a few months ago.

The issue stems from the fact that Maxwell will down clock the higher boosting card to match the lower boosting card by default. If I remember correctly, I had like a 1419 booster and a 1393 booster. The 1419 card would boost down to 1393 and lose two voltage bins because of it. Those voltage bins were not recoverable because individual card voltage offsets did not work with Precision or MSI afterburner. I could add voltage to both cards simultaneously, but that was useless because it was adding unneeded voltage to my 1393 booster causing it to hit the power limit and throttle. So I was stuck with abnormally low voltage on my best card, meaning it was the card causing instability despite it being a better card.

Unwilling to fight the fight, I just returned them. It was kind of a shame as they were both great cards, both very stable well over 1500 Mhz, by themselves. Put them together and the better card became unstable well below where it should.

I was/am really sick of the lock downs on these expensive cards. I understand not being able to pump unlimited voltage into them, but I wasn't trying to do anything outside of factory voltage or power limits, but due to unnecessary locks placed on voltage control, I couldn't run what my cards were so willing to run. I flashed the bios on my $1000 Titans, my 780's, and my 780 Ti's for a while because that's what it took to get them to run at their potential even on factory voltage. I finally decided enough was enough and it wasn't my job to void my warranty by fixing Nvidia's garbage bios' on my expensive GPU's. I don't regret returning the 980s one bit.

Having a little bit of voltage control within factory voltages is not out of the realm of being reasonable, but apparently Nvidia thinks it is. It also annoys me to no end that on the highest end cards they can't put in an extra power phase and increase the power target by an amount that actually will let you over volt. Both my 780 Ti's and those 980's could not over volt at all without having an adverse effect on clock speeds due to throttling. Basically, the voltage you saw out of box was the voltage you would reach the highest clock on because it would bump the power limits, and raising voltage only caused severe throttling. Heck, my Titans could not maintain clock speeds 100% stock due to throttling. Is it so much to ask to have a little bit of power headroom on a $600-$1000 GPU? I guess so.

post edited by antandbetty - 2015/03/11 13:58:13

antandbetty
    iCX Member
    Re: Modified Bios for 980 FTW SLI Voltage bug 2015/03/11 15:56:14 (permalink)
    I have sent everything, all the testing, voltage results, bios screen shots, and all testing results to Chris at evga. It was sent to a engineer to review. I would much prefer a bios update from the source then returning the cards again. Lets hope my research and testing results is enough to get a fixed bios with the voltage lock raised and a stable SLI result. At this point I dont even care about overclocking....I just want stability

With that said...getting this far with any large corporation is a feat in itself.  If this was the almighty ASUS they would have dismissed my findings without even looking at them, or never responded in the first place.....
    Prophit
    • Total Posts : 92
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: Modified Bios for 980 FTW SLI Voltage bug 2015/03/12 12:16:46 (permalink)
    First, thank you for putting in all the work / testing / screen shotting / emailing.

Second, I cant wait to see how EVGA_Chris responds.

Third, I need to check my FTW SLI cards tonight because if you saw my other thread, you'd know that one of my FTW cards has the stock launch day bios " 84.04.2F.00.80" and my 2nd card (from RMA) has the Kingpin bios on it "84.04.2F.01.80". I have not looked to see if mine are capped at 1.212.  I did get a response from an EVGA tech in the thread.  Here it is http://forums.evga.com/GT...is-fixed-m2288419.aspx

EDIT: I should note that my system is rock solid stable - i am not having the same problems as the OP but I'm concerned my 980 FTWs may be hard capped and that we are not getting the full potential of the GPU that we thought we were.
    post edited by Prophit - 2015/03/12 12:19:36

i7 2600k | ASUS P8P67-PRO | 2 x EVGA GTX 980 FTW | Corsair HXi 1000 | 16gb Corsair DDR3 1600
    Heatware 59-0-0!

antandbetty
    iCX Member
    Re: Modified Bios for 980 FTW SLI Voltage bug 2015/03/12 12:41:42 (permalink)
    Hi Prophit,
    I was watching you thread as the bios version you have made no sense on a ftw or it made total sense as your original sli was unstable and someone knew how to fix it....  Did you try to oc the cards and apply an over volt? Precision just defaulted back to normal when i first started trying..I am back on the original bios right now but when i modified them i believe they did accept more volts but that no software would show it. The only way to see it is with a multimeter....Try overclocking them with sli disabled and try the kingpin bios card and see if that accepts an over volt with an overclock... go easy on the volts....
    I am glad you are stable and from what i read in your thread you asic quality is much closer then mine..

Prophit
    First, thank you for putting in all the work / testing / screen shotting / emailing.

Third, I need to check my FTW SLI cards tonight because if you saw my other thread, you'd know that one of my FTW cards has the stock launch day bios " 84.04.2F.00.80" and my 2nd card (from RMA) has the Kingpin bios on it "84.04.2F.01.80". I have not looked to see if mine are capped at 1.212.  I did get a response from an EVGA tech in the thread.  Here it is http://forums.evga.com/GT...is-fixed-m2288419.aspx

EDIT: I should note that my system is rock solid stable - i am not having the same problems as the OP but I'm concerned my 980 FTWs may be hard capped and that we are not getting the full potential of the GPU that we thought we were.

post edited by antandbetty - 2015/03/12 12:45:50

Prophit
    Re: Modified Bios for 980 FTW SLI Voltage bug 2015/03/12 15:16:39 (permalink)
    I have not OC'd or messed with voltages at all.  To be honest with you after all the frustration i had in the past, once my system was stable i just wanted to play games.  So for the past 4~ weeks I've just been playing tons of games in my free time instead of tinkering with OC settings.

I dont feel comfortable throwing around voltage settings but i am still very curious as to why the normal FTW is "capped" at 1.21 

I have yet to verify this cap on either of my cards because I cannot extract the bios (as i explained in your other thread).

Please let me know if you find another source.

antandbetty
    Hi Prophit,
    I was watching you thread as the bios version you have made no sense on a ftw or it made total sense as your original sli was unstable and someone knew how to fix it....  Did you try to oc the cards and apply an over volt? Precision just defaulted back to normal when i first started trying..I am back on the original bios right now but when i modified them i believe they did accept more volts but that no software would show it. The only way to see it is with a multimeter....Try overclocking them with sli disabled and try the kingpin bios card and see if that accepts an over volt with an overclock... go easy on the volts....
    I am glad you are stable and from what i read in your thread you asic quality is much closer then mine..

Prophit

i7 2600k | ASUS P8P67-PRO | 2 x EVGA GTX 980 FTW | Corsair HXi 1000 | 16gb Corsair DDR3 1600
    Heatware 59-0-0!

Prophit
    Re: Modified Bios for 980 FTW SLI Voltage bug 2015/03/17 11:52:23 (permalink)
    Betty, any answers from EVGA Chris?

Heatware 59-0-0!

antandbetty
    iCX Member
    Re: Modified Bios for 980 FTW SLI Voltage bug 2015/03/17 12:53:54 (permalink)
    Hi prophit,

The response I got did not address all my findings  it was communicated through Chris but it was from a tech at evga that does not really work with bios issues. I was told the bios is created in Germany. The response from the tech regarding my issues was unsatisfactory. Chris went out of his way for me offering me multiple options, including total refunds even though i purchased 1 GPU from new-egg.  The only GPU they make that is not locked without messing around with bios is the kingpin & that is not advertised. But there is what they call a test switch on the bottom of the Kingpin with i believe increases the voltage by .25 mv plus you can go beyond that with "unofficial" software on kingpins forum.  

Nvidia requires the manufactures to lock the voltage. Some cards are set higher then others because of the design. If you look up nvidia sli voltage bug you will find this issue goes back far. While it is not an issue for most, i believe it does crop up for a few like myself in sli. Like i mentioned above I only cared about stability and of course overclocking the cards. If the voltage increase in Afterburner or precision does not actually increase the volts that why am i bothering?

In the end i have a feeling I was only correcting an nvidia driver issue by circumventing it in the GPU bios. Not really a fix but more of a band aid.

Prophit
    Betty, any answers from EVGA Chris?

awahwah
    • Total Posts : 27
    Re: Modified Bios for 980 FTW SLI Voltage bug 2015/03/17 14:30:59 (permalink)
    To add to this.  

The Classified is also locked to 1212mv.  I've submitted a Support Ticket asking why.
    awahwah
    Re: Modified Bios for 980 FTW SLI Voltage bug 2015/03/17 14:37:05 (permalink)
    This is the LN2 BIOS just pulled from the Card:

antandbetty
    iCX Member
    Re: Modified Bios for 980 FTW SLI Voltage bug 2015/03/17 18:49:42 (permalink)
    awahwah
    To add to this.  

The Classified is also locked to 1212mv.  I've submitted a Support Ticket asking why.

The classified are easily overvolted without any bios mods just using this software posted by Kingpin.  Scroll down to post #9 for an updated version.... Be very careful as this tool goes all the way up to 1.60 volts. It will fry you chip if you don't run under water or LN2. Technically the kingpin has the same voltage settings in the bios. 

http://kingpincooling.com...c474da44f80&t=2977

HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re: Modified Bios for 980 FTW SLI Voltage bug 2015/03/17 19:45:30 (permalink)
    antandbetty
    awahwah
    To add to this.  

The classified are easily overvolted without any bios mods just using this software posted by Kingpin.  Scroll down to post #9 for an updated version.... Be very careful as this tool goes all the way up to 1.60 volts. It will fry you chip if you don't run under water or LN2. Technically the kingpin has the same voltage settings in the bios. 

http://kingpincooling.com...c474da44f80&t=2977

Doesn't this require you to flash with a modified BIOS?
    post edited by HeavyHemi - 2015/03/17 19:57:08

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

antandshell
    • Total Posts : 10
    Re: Modified Bios for 980 FTW SLI Voltage bug 2015/03/18 00:22:18 (permalink)

HeavyHemi
    antandbetty
    awahwah
    To add to this.  

Doesn't this require you to flash with a modified BIOS?

At first i thought it did but i asked on Kingpin site and they told me no. I don't own a classified though so i can't be sure. Another issue is that you need to use a multimeter as neither afterburner nor precision will report any volts over 1.212.  on any gpu.

So stupid. unlock the freaking vcore nvidia. Do we fry our CPU's when we overclock them? if we do, we deserve it......can't help but rant 

EDIT: logged in with old user name. 
    awahwah
    Re: Modified Bios for 980 FTW SLI Voltage bug 2015/03/18 14:20:17 (permalink)
    That tools does work without a BIOS update (kingpin) and was also the solution offered by EVGA to my support ticket. They stated that the low voltage is by design. Still strange that a cheaper variant has a higher voltage pool to play with.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile