EVGA

790i Ultra Memory/ Videocard issue

Author
Adam699
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/04/25 07:20:14 (permalink)
Ok, so I did the newest p10 bios update as I wanted to upgrade my system as much as I could.

I was originally running 2x2gb of Patriot memory and an xfx gtx250.

I was trying to play BF4 and it was playing really choppy.

So I purchased 2x8gb of vengence ram. To my surprise the system recognized and ran much better showing all 20gb of ram even thou the two sets had different timings.

Than I decided to upgrade the video card and purchased a LCS r9 290x and here is where I run into problems.

When I put the card in and try to boot it keeps resetting on a loop after the first bios screen and beeping.. Now at first I thought that the card will not work but If i take out some ram it starts to work. I ranthrough all variants taking out the sticks and putting them back in with different configuratins and the most the board will now accept and still boot is 10gb which is single stick of the mismatched ram the 2gb patriot and 8gb vengance.

Any advice on how I can get this to work? I'd rally like to get the 16gb working.

2 Replies Related Threads

DarrelM
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 145
    • Ribbons : 0
    Re: 790i Ultra Memory/ Videocard issue 2015/04/26 13:03:53 (permalink)
    Unfortunately, after looking into the manual for your motherboard, the max supported memory is 8GB total. Mixing RAM different models of RAM is not advised either as that can cause issues.

The ideal configuration would be increase your memory to the maximum supported 8GB with more 2GB modules. Since you seem to be booting with 10GB, you could continue to use it in that configuration if you do not experience any issues.
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102260
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: 790i Ultra Memory/ Videocard issue 2015/04/27 02:58:40 (permalink)
    EVGATech_DarrelM
    Unfortunately, after looking into the manual for your motherboard, the max supported memory is 8GB total. Mixing RAM different models of RAM is not advised either as that can cause issues.

The ideal configuration would be increase your memory to the maximum supported 8GB with more 2GB modules. Since you seem to be booting with 10GB, you could continue to use it in that configuration if you do not experience any issues.

As a rule of thumb you should never mix ram models. It causes more troubles and headaches for most users.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile