EVGA

780 Ti Classified - noisy fan

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
armin_tabatabai
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: 780 Ti Classified - noisy fan 2014/03/19 17:56:58 (permalink)
I purchased an EVGA GTX 780 Ti ACX and I have had two RMAs done for it so far; after today it will might the fourth. The card itself is beautiful, but there are a few startling issues. First off, some of the aluminium thermal radiator sheets are bent at the (6 & 8)-pin connector corner, and second of all - the fan.

Oh the fan...

EVGA...

THE FAN.

When putting the card under load (playing games such as Crysis 3, Battlefield 4, Titanfall or GRID 2) I can almost always hear an unbearably irritating noise coming from the left fan. Using the EVGA Precision X software, when the fan is manually assigned a (45-46)% fan speed, it will make a noise which you guys call "metallic", perhaps "herb grinder" or "whiskery exasperation" would prove more accurate. It will run whisper quiet for around 1 hour, and then initiate a 5 minute noise fluctuation of "ssssssss........khkh........khkh........shishshishshish........tssssssss........" and then return to normal. It is probably THE MOST irritating noise on the planet. The person in charge of RMAs at the place where I bought it from blamed faulty ball-bearings, but I think EVGA is using inadequately polymers for their fans. Perhaps they need to rethink their aerodynamics on AutoCad.

I am not sure if it is a problem with their fans, because they use the same ones in all their products, can someone clarify if other cards with the ACX bodies are experiencing this?
post edited by armin_tabatabai - 2014/03/24 10:22:07
mac13
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: 780 Ti Classified - noisy fan 2014/04/10 14:13:10 (permalink)
jpearson79
If you are able to perhaps try reference Ti's and not ACX/Classified? I had the same problems with 2x ACX 780 and 2x 780 Classified (thought the noises would go away with new cards). Went through RMA and still the metal clicking noise (not coil whine) so I just accepted it...for a period of time...sold.  I bought 2 reference style 780Ti SC cards this time and no abnormal noises or whine at all. I wouldn't say ACX is trash, far from it, my temps were great. And EVGA support has been great. I had an old Gigabyte windforce AMD 5870 and it had horrible whine, exchanged it and same problem. Over the years my experiences with reference cards have been better than with non-reference, and the trend continues with my Ti's. I'm sure many people have had problems with reference cards as well, mileage varies.

How did the noise and temperature compare between the ACX vs. Reference cards?  I have a small Fractal Node case and currently have a 780 TI SC ACX but I think I should have maybe gotten the Reference version to blow the hot air out of the case instead of circulating it around inside the case.  I was surprised how loud the card gets once the fans ramp up all the way.  I am around 70 degrees C which doesn't seem that hot but the fans are really loud.  I thought it might help if I blew the hot air out of the case but heard the Reference design didn't cool as well and was louder.  Just wanted your opinion since you have used both designs.  Thanks
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile