EVGA

780 TI Dual Classy, Not boosting, Not Overclocking, Bad card?

Author
bagballa
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/10/25 17:00:23 (permalink)
While playing games it stays at 850mhz, often times memory and GPU clock will drop down below 400mhz and on super rare occasions it'll boost fine to 1165MHZ.
Its totally unpredictable and seems to have a mind of its own.

When I attempt to overclock the card, only the memory overclocks. No matter what I do the GPU clock never overclocks. I tried everything but after this latest patch it seems worst, before it would stay at 1020MHZ, now its 850MHZ?

Feels like I have a 700HP car that only drives 200HP.
I get about 20-30 FPS playing Arma 3 in 1080P, not acceptable....

My CPU is an 4820K not OC'd
I was thinking of buying another card to SLI but looking at this cards performance I may not buy any more Nvidia Cards.
If I didnt know any better I would think since Nvidia discontinued the series they are nerfing the patches, perhaps trying to sell more 900 series?
Whats the point in having a $700 unlocked card if it only uses 50% of the GPU? Why not 100%?

My main question for people who use Precision X, after you increase the GPU clock via PX, Does your GPU overclock? After I increase anything voltage, overvoltage, gpu clock nothing changes..... It stays the same only the memory overclocks. Even stranger, sometimes after trying to overclock I set the card back to default and then it boost, still randomly, when it wants too.
post edited by bagballa - 2014/10/25 17:25:49

6 Replies Related Threads

Husky_
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 889
    Re: 780 TI Dual Classy, Not boosting, Not Overclocking, Bad card? 2014/10/25 19:06:29 (permalink)
    If you are getting the GPU to clock up to 1165 or even 1150, then you are running your GPU at 100%. I have the same GPU and with 1.2v I get around 1225 and it is fine for me.

If I am to overclock the GPU any further, then I need to install the new version of PX to unlock the voltage up to 1.3v and then increase the voltage to maybe 1.25v to get my GPU to overclock for up to 1280~1290 but the gain in performance is not really worth the heat and power that the card take when I used it at that voltage. So I settled with using AB(less buggy) and 1225MHZ clock.

To answer your question, me personally, I see a jump in clock speed when I overclock my GPU while running Unigine Heaven in windowed mode. Try running Unigine Heaven in 720P and ULTRA in windowed mode and change the GPU clock by +13mhz increments. Monitor the clocks using GPU-Z.

Good Luck!
    Wingless Wonder
    Superclocked Member
    • Total Posts : 151
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: 780 TI Dual Classy, Not boosting, Not Overclocking, Bad card? 2014/10/25 21:32:52 (permalink)
    bagballaMy main question for people who use Precision X, after you increase the GPU clock via PX, Does your GPU overclock? After I increase anything voltage, overvoltage, gpu clock nothing changes..... It stays the same only the memory overclocks. Even stranger, sometimes after trying to overclock I set the card back to default and then it boost, still randomly, when it wants too.

What is gpu temperature under load? Are you using a custom fan profile within Precision X? Are you clicking on the 'Apply' button after setting overclocks?

Intel® Core™ i7-4790K cpu, Noctua NH-D15 air cooler
    Gigabyte Z97X-UD3P-BK mobo
    32gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz DDR3
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Founders Edition
    Corsair AX1200i power supply
    Samsung 950 Pro M.2 SSD (NVMe) boot drive
    WD 2tb Enterprise HDD data drive
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced
    Windows 10 Pro x64 version 1703
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD battery backup UPS
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: 780 TI Dual Classy, Not boosting, Not Overclocking, Bad card? 2014/10/25 22:28:10 (permalink)
    What bios are you using? If you are on the normal bios, you may be fine (green light on the back of the card but if you are on the ln2 bios (red light on the back of the card) you may need to update the bios itself.

Did you buy the card new, used... how long ago...

Your assumption that it is NVidia nerfing the 700 series is far fetched and beyond wrong, so just stop with that one. I have three Ti Classifieds on the most up to date drivers and it works better than before.

If it is a problem, then it is either with the card specifically or with the temperatures and your setup.
    bagballa
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: 780 TI Dual Classy, Not boosting, Not Overclocking, Bad card? 2014/10/26 07:48:02 (permalink)
    I bought the card in June of this year. The light on the card looks like 5 white dots? My sound card is has red leds, don't really know if thats effecting the color.
    What I'm saying is no matter what I change the voltage to it stays at 1.0V, if I down clock it than it goes to 1.1V?
    I was wondering if the card was bad because I want it to run at max while playing Arma3, does me no good only being able to overclock running benchmarks.

For example I'lll be playing arma and it'll stay at 850 or 350, temp 50C than if I open task manager and go to windows the card goes to 1020mhz, then when I return to arma it'll say 1020 then drop back down to 850 or 350 giving me 20ish fps??

Adjusting precisionx has no effect on GPU clock or voltage unless I downclock.

CPU is water cooled, case is large and open now. No problems with temps.
    Fan profile is set to auto, most likely default. The hottest its gotten is 71C at 1165mhz. 1000w PSU
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: 780 TI Dual Classy, Not boosting, Not Overclocking, Bad card? 2014/10/26 08:14:03 (permalink)
    you are monitoring voltage with software, which doesn't monitor voltage at all.  It is wrong, and by far at that.  

The light on the back of the card is NOT the 5 lights on the side of the card. look for the one that has color (green or red).

To the right of the 5 lights, you will see a tiny white switch.  (very tiny) make sure it is to the left.  This will make the green light on the back of the card is what you want.  

If the Red light comes on, then you are on bios 2, which may be the issue.. if it is on bios one for sure, then switch it to the right and try the other bios.  With the knowledge you have of the card so far, you clearly haven't flashed the BIOS, so that shouldn't be an issue.  You may need to update the bios for side number 2, if you are using it. 

Husky_
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 889
    Re: 780 TI Dual Classy, Not boosting, Not Overclocking, Bad card? 2014/10/26 10:08:27 (permalink)
    For monitoring voltage and clock speed use GPU-Z.

Especially with voltage monitoring, I found GPU-Z is the only close to accurate software.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile