EVGA

780 ACX SC randomly no signal while gaming

Author
dow2fish
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/05/23 09:07:39 (permalink)
Hello, I have 780 ACX SC. Other components of my build are Supermicro C7Z170-M-O, Intel i7-6700k, Corsair LPX Vengeance 4x8GB DDR4 @ 2666, and EVGA G2 650W PSU. I'm using Windows 10 x64 Professional, installed on Crucial M500 SSD.
While I am playing games, the card randomly no longer outputs a signal. Before it happens in, say, Division, I know it's coming because I get some frame stutters. Even when the card is not outputting a signal, the rest of the computer runs fine because I am able to use TeamSpeak with my friends.

I just fresh installed Windows, and I've tried rolling back drivers, clean installing drivers using DDU, trying a no-overclock on RAM, and verifying game integrity through Steam. If anyone has any ideas about what may be wrong, please help me out.

I'm not sure if this is a related issue, but when my desktop background transitions, at the last moment the new picture fades in, the previous picture flashes for a split second. I've tried to search this issue online but haven't had much luck.

12 Replies Related Threads

Zuhl3156
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 13061
    • Ribbons : 34
    Re: 780 ACX SC randomly no signal while gaming 2016/05/23 09:30:08 (permalink)
    Sounds like a TDR error. Are you overclocking your 780?
    dow2fish
    Re: 780 ACX SC randomly no signal while gaming 2016/05/23 13:30:08 (permalink)
    Thanks for the quick reply. No, I'm not overclocking at the moment.
    I actually remembered my card wrongly, it's just normal ACX, not the SC version.

Attached Image(s)

Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 49168
    • Ribbons : 199
    Re: 780 ACX SC randomly no signal while gaming 2016/05/23 15:45:42 (permalink)
    Is your cpu overclocked? Does running the gpu fan at max get rid of the black screen? Does the issue occur on all gpu outputs?
    dow2fish
    Re: 780 ACX SC randomly no signal while gaming 2016/05/23 16:39:44 (permalink)
    Hey, thanks for the reply. My CPU is currently not overclocked.
    I haven't tried the two things you've mentioned. I highly doubt it's the fan/temperature issue. I can run Furmark no problem while maintaining around 70C.
    As for using the different output, I only have one monitor so I'm not sure. I just plugged my monitor to the other DVI port. I'll see how that goes (as I've mentioned, this happens randomly so I don't know if using the other port resolves the issue for sure...

EDIT:
    Previously, I've lost signal while playing Far Cry 3, Division, and CSGO. One weird thing about when it crashes while playing CSGO is the fans start going at 100% immediately after the crash, while this is not the case with the other two games. I'm not sure what this indicates, but I have a feeling that different crash behaviors for different games indicate a driver crash instead of a bad output port.
    I'll add that all the games were being run at the NVIDIA recommende settings through the GeForce experience application.
    post edited by dow2fish - 2016/05/23 16:44:22
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: 780 ACX SC randomly no signal while gaming 2016/05/23 17:55:29 (permalink)
    dow2fish
    Hey, thanks for the reply. My CPU is currently not overclocked.
    I haven't tried the two things you've mentioned. I highly doubt it's the fan/temperature issue. I can run Furmark no problem while maintaining around 70C.
    As for using the different output, I only have one monitor so I'm not sure. I just plugged my monitor to the other DVI port. I'll see how that goes (as I've mentioned, this happens randomly so I don't know if using the other port resolves the issue for sure...

EDIT:
    Previously, I've lost signal while playing Far Cry 3, Division, and CSGO. One weird thing about when it crashes while playing CSGO is the fans start going at 100% immediately after the crash, while this is not the case with the other two games. I'm not sure what this indicates, but I have a feeling that different crash behaviors for different games indicate a driver crash instead of a bad output port.
    I'll add that all the games were being run at the NVIDIA recommende settings through the GeForce experience application.

You should try reseating the card to your motherboard and using a different set of pci-e power cables to see if that fixes the issue. Completely uninstall geforce experience. You didn't optimize your games with geforce experience did you? 
    dow2fish
    Re: 780 ACX SC randomly no signal while gaming 2016/05/23 18:15:42 (permalink)
    Sajin
    You should try reseating the card to your motherboard and using a different set of pci-e power cables to see if that fixes the issue. Completely uninstall geforce experience. You didn't optimize your games with geforce experience did you? 

I did optimize using GeForce experience. Is this known to cause issues?
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: 780 ACX SC randomly no signal while gaming 2016/05/23 18:20:58 (permalink)
    dow2fish
    Sajin

I did optimize using GeForce experience. Is this known to cause issues?

Geforce experience has been known to cause issues. Here is what I suggest you do...

#1 Uninstall geforce experience completely.
    #2 Reboot PC.
    #3 Delete all game .cfg files that were optimized with geforce experience.
    #4 Set game graphics settings manually on next game startup. Deleting the games .cfg files will reset the graphics settings for each game back to default settings and will get rid of any geforce experience optimizations made to the .cfg file.
    dow2fish
    Re: 780 ACX SC randomly no signal while gaming 2016/05/23 18:23:25 (permalink)
    Sajin
    #2 Reboot PC.
    #4 Set game graphics settings manually on next game startup. Deleting the games .cfg files will reset the graphics settings for each game back to default settings.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I was having issues with when the graphics settings were done manually so I used the GeForce settings to see if it would help. Thanks for the suggestion though.
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: 780 ACX SC randomly no signal while gaming 2016/05/23 18:24:20 (permalink)
    dow2fish
    Sajin
    #2 Reboot PC.
    #4 Set game graphics settings manually on next game startup. Deleting the games .cfg files will reset the graphics settings for each game back to default settings.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I was having issues with when the graphics settings were done manually so I used the GeForce settings to see if it would help. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Ok, well in that case you should try the other things I mentioned.
    dow2fish
    Re: 780 ACX SC randomly no signal while gaming 2016/05/23 18:36:58 (permalink)
    Sajin
    Ok, well in that case you should try the other things I mentioned.

Yeap, will do.
    dow2fish
    Re: 780 ACX SC randomly no signal while gaming 2016/05/24 19:54:28 (permalink)
    Sajin, I've tried the other suggestions but the issue is still there.

Any ideas on what I can try?
    Sajin
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: 780 ACX SC randomly no signal while gaming 2016/05/24 20:31:18 (permalink)
    dow2fish
    Sajin, I've tried the other suggestions but the issue is still there.

Any ideas on what I can try?

Try running the card in debug mode. More info about debug mode can be found here under #3. You could also try adjusting the tdrdelay inside windows to see if it helps stop the problem...

Modify TDR timeout period via windows registry.
    • Exit all Windows based programs.
    • Press Windows Key+R, type regedit in the Search box, and hit enter. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    Browse to and then click the following registry subkey: 
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\GraphicsDrivers
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers 
    On the Edit menu, click New, and then select the following registry value from the drop-down menu specific to your version of Windows (32 bit, or 64 bit): 

For 32 bit Windows:

1. Select DWORD (32-bit) value.
    2. Type TdrDelay as the Name and click Enter.
    3. Double-click TdrDelay and input "A" without the quotes for the Value data and click OK.
    4. Close the registry editor and then restart your computer for the changes to take affect

For 64 bit Windows:
    1. Select QWORD (64-bit) value.
    2. Type TdrDelay as the Name and click Enter.
    3. Double-click TdrDelay and input "A" without the quotes for the Value data and click OK.
    4. Close the registry editor and then restart your computer for the changes to take affect

post edited by Sajin - 2016/05/24 20:34:49
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile