EVGA

560 ti mini hdmi signal not working

Author
drewmate
  • Total Posts : 8
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2011/05/08 20:48:09 (permalink)
Hey guys, I can not get the mini hdmi out to work at all on my TV.  I've tried everything I can possibly think of.  I've re-installed the drivers, tried connecting to just the TV without the monitor, and explored every Windows control panel setting and NVIDIA control panel setting I can think of, and I can never get it to detect my tv.  I know the cable and port work; they're the ones I normally use for my digital cable box.  The only things I can think of are the mini hdmi to hdmi adapter that came with my card, or maybe just the mini hdmi out is broken on my card.  Is there anything else I can try before I have to send this card back?  Anyone?

15 Replies Related Threads

HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 15665
    • Ribbons : 135
    Re:560 ti mini hdmi signal not working 2011/05/08 20:51:56 (permalink)
    drewmate

Hey guys, I can not get the mini hdmi out to work at all on my TV.  I've tried everything I can possibly think of.  I've re-installed the drivers, tried connecting to just the TV without the monitor, and explored every Windows control panel setting and NVIDIA control panel setting I can think of, and I can never get it to detect my tv.  I know the cable and port work; they're the ones I normally use for my digital cable box.  The only things I can think of are the mini hdmi to hdmi adapter that came with my card, or maybe just the mini hdmi out is broken on my card.  Is there anything else I can try before I have to send this card back?  Anyone?

Welcome to the forum. Couple of questions for you...

Does the mini HDMi work on the Monitor? What type of TV do you have and what is it's native resolution?

BTW one DVI port and the mini-hdmi are shared so you cannot have a device connected on the mini-hdmi and I believe DVI port 1 at the same time.
    post edited by HeavyHemi - 2011/05/08 20:54:36

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

drewmate
    Re:560 ti mini hdmi signal not working 2011/05/08 20:55:58 (permalink)
    My monitor doesn't have any HDMI inputs.  Just DVI and VGA, and the DVI works just fine.  The TV is a 24" Vizio.  It's probably 5-6 years old.  I'm not sure what its native resolution is... I think it is 720p.  I should also mention that I used a DVI->HDMI adapter to connect my old PC to this TV on multiple occasions and it detected the signal without a hitch.  So when I tried using that same cable here, I got the signal no problem, so it is only a problem when using the mini hdmi out.  I don't have any other HDMI devices to test compatibility with, so I don't know for sure, but it seems like a problem with the card.
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re:560 ti mini hdmi signal not working 2011/05/08 21:17:51 (permalink)
    drewmate

My monitor doesn't have any HDMI inputs.  Just DVI and VGA, and the DVI works just fine.  The TV is a 24" Vizio.  It's probably 5-6 years old.  I'm not sure what its native resolution is... I think it is 720p.  I should also mention that I used a DVI->HDMI adapter to connect my old PC to this TV on multiple occasions and it detected the signal without a hitch.  So when I tried using that same cable here, I got the signal no problem, so it is only a problem when using the mini hdmi out.  I don't have any other HDMI devices to test compatibility with, so I don't know for sure, but it seems like a problem with the card.

Are you sure the mini HMDI is plugged all the way in? Several folks have had an issue where the plastic around the mini hdmi plug hits the edge of the mounting slot on the case. Make sure it's going all the way in.

EVGA X99 FTWK / i7 6850K @ 4.5ghz / RTX 3080Ti FTW Ultra / 32GB Corsair LPX 3600mhz / Samsung 850Pro 256GB / Be Quiet BN516 Straight Power 12-1000w 80 Plus Platinum / Window 10 Pro

drewmate
    Re:560 ti mini hdmi signal not working 2011/05/08 21:23:10 (permalink)
    It doesn't appear to be hitting the case, but then again, it does seem to be a little loose.  I've tried pushing it in harder, but that doesn't seem to be accomplishing anything.

Which part of the plug is likely hitting my case?  I'm afraid to try shaving off part of the plastic, especially since I'm not even sure how a mini hdmi plug feels when properly secured.
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re:560 ti mini hdmi signal not working 2011/05/08 21:31:20 (permalink)
    drewmate

It doesn't appear to be hitting the case, but then again, it does seem to be a little loose.  I've tried pushing it in harder, but that doesn't seem to be accomplishing anything.

Which part of the plug is likely hitting my case?  I'm afraid to try shaving off part of the plastic, especially since I'm not even sure how a mini hdmi plug feels when properly secured.

The plastic molding around the plug end where it becomes the metal connector going into the female receptacle on the GPU. If it is in all the way the molding should nearly touching the metal rear bracket of the GPU (but clear of the thin metal part of the case) and you should not be able see any of the metal male end.

drewmate
    Re:560 ti mini hdmi signal not working 2011/05/08 21:51:01 (permalink)
    I tried shaving off a little bit of the plastic molding, and it still feels the same.  I don't think that that was the problem though.  Here's an interesting update.  I tried unplugging my monitor and using the mini hdmi out and my hdmi-DVI adapter.  I plugged the DVI in to my monitor and the HDMI end into the little dongle coming out of my card.  The monitor said no signal, but when I unplugged it, the monitor changed to "Cable not connected."  I tested it a few times to make sure, but it looks like it can tell when the cable is hooked up (so there must be SOMETHING going through the cable, just not a video signal...)  So I think the connectors work, but the card is just not pushing any video out.  Maybe it won't push video until it detects a display, and the display won't acknowledge until it detects video?  Sort of a chicken/egg problem maybe?  Any other ideas here?  I appreciate your help, because I'm really running out of ideas!
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re:560 ti mini hdmi signal not working 2011/05/08 22:11:49 (permalink)
    drewmate

I tried shaving off a little bit of the plastic molding, and it still feels the same.  I don't think that that was the problem though.  Here's an interesting update.  I tried unplugging my monitor and using the mini hdmi out and my hdmi-DVI adapter.  I plugged the DVI in to my monitor and the HDMI end into the little dongle coming out of my card.  The monitor said no signal, but when I unplugged it, the monitor changed to "Cable not connected."  I tested it a few times to make sure, but it looks like it can tell when the cable is hooked up (so there must be SOMETHING going through the cable, just not a video signal...)  So I think the connectors work, but the card is just not pushing any video out.  Maybe it won't push video until it detects a display, and the display won't acknowledge until it detects video?  Sort of a chicken/egg problem maybe?  Any other ideas here?  I appreciate your help, because I'm really running out of ideas!

Well, it looks like it is either the mini-hdmi dongle or the GPU. Have you tried rebooting while having  the mini-hdmi>>>hdmi-DVI adapter connected to the monitor?

drewmate
    Re:560 ti mini hdmi signal not working 2011/05/08 22:20:37 (permalink)
    HeavyHemi
     Have you tried rebooting while having  the mini-hdmi>>>hdmi-DVI adapter connected to the monitor? 

Ok, here's some progress.  I just tried that and it worked... sort of.  This time it detected my monitor only as a "Generic non PnP Monitor."  And my max resolution is 128x720.  Also, the monitor doesn't even show up in the NVidia Control panel anymore.  I'll do some fiddling to see what I can figure out, but it's looking more and more like a driver issue, right?  The cables all appear to work, but it doesn't know how much info it can drive over the hdmi output.
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re:560 ti mini hdmi signal not working 2011/05/08 22:28:35 (permalink)
    drewmate

HeavyHemi
    Have you tried rebooting while having  the mini-hdmi>>>hdmi-DVI adapter connected to the monitor? 

Ok, here's some progress.  I just tried that and it worked... sort of.  This time it detected my monitor only as a "Generic non PnP Monitor."  And my max resolution is 128x720.  Also, the monitor doesn't even show up in the NVidia Control panel anymore.  I'll do some fiddling to see what I can figure out, but it's looking more and more like a driver issue, right?  The cables all appear to work, but it doesn't know how much info it can drive over the hdmi output.

Which drivers are you using? The ones that came with the card or the latest from Nvidia...you can get those here....
    http://www.nvidia.com/Dow..d/index.aspx?lang=en-us

drewmate
    Re:560 ti mini hdmi signal not working 2011/05/08 22:46:42 (permalink)
    Ok, so I think the problem is the dongle after all.  I finally got the card to detect my TV, but it still wasn't outputting any video.  Then I tried just holding the plug in there, and pushing in and up on it.  After a few seconds, it started sending video to my TV.  As soon as I let go of the cable, it dropped a little bit, became loose and stopped sending video to the TV.  So, I guess the plug was just never "clicking" into place.  Like I said before, it never felt fully tight in there, but I wasn't sure how mini hdmi was supposed to feel. 

Does this sound like an issue with the cable or the card that is causing this connection to be loose?  Should I try buying another adapter? 
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re:560 ti mini hdmi signal not working 2011/05/08 23:07:10 (permalink)
    drewmate

Ok, so I think the problem is the dongle after all.  I finally got the card to detect my TV, but it still wasn't outputting any video.  Then I tried just holding the plug in there, and pushing in and up on it.  After a few seconds, it started sending video to my TV.  As soon as I let go of the cable, it dropped a little bit, became loose and stopped sending video to the TV.  So, I guess the plug was just never "clicking" into place.  Like I said before, it never felt fully tight in there, but I wasn't sure how mini hdmi was supposed to feel. 

Does this sound like an issue with the cable or the card that is causing this connection to be loose?  Should I try buying another adapter? 

Boy that's a tough one. Are you sure that nothing is keeping the plug from inserting all the way? EVGA sells a 6' mini to HDMI cable
    http://www.evga.com/produ...0-%20Hardware&sw=4
    ...Amazon has them for about half that...

drewmate
    Re:560 ti mini hdmi signal not working 2011/05/08 23:17:19 (permalink)
    Alright, thanks for the help.  I ordered a new cable (10' mini HDMI to HDMI) off Amazon.  We'll see if that fixes my problem.  I'll post back here when I get it all figured out.
    HeavyHemi
    Insert Custom Title Here
    Re:560 ti mini hdmi signal not working 2011/05/08 23:20:48 (permalink)
    drewmate

Alright, thanks for the help.  I ordered a new cable (10' mini HDMI to HDMI) off Amazon.  We'll see if that fixes my problem.  I'll post back here when I get it all figured out.

Well even if it is the card, the cable is better than using a dongle with another cable. Good luck.

drewmate
    Re:560 ti mini hdmi signal not working 2011/05/30 22:22:56 (permalink)
    I totally forgot to come back here and post when I got everything worked out (just in case someone else has a similar problem in the future.)

I sent the card back to Newegg (where I got it from) and they very quickly sent a replacement which is working wonderfully now.  The mini HDMI was just loose on that card for some reason.  Now when I plug in to the new one it feels like it 'clicks' firmly in to place and the signal and sound are crystal clear with no holding needed.  Great card, I guess I just got a dud the first time!
    XrayMan
    Insert Custom Title Here
    • Total Posts : 73000
    • Ribbons : 115
    Re:560 ti mini hdmi signal not working 2011/05/30 22:58:09 (permalink)

Glad you got everything worked out. Things like that happen!      ;)

My Affiliate Code: 8WEQVXMCJL

Associate Code: VHKH33QN4W77V6A

&nbsp
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile