EVGA

5 years of headaches, disappointments, and happiness.

Author
spydere785
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2014/07/28 02:15:26 (permalink)
I'll start my post off by saying this EVGA products are awesome, it's a love/hate relationship sometimes but overall after 6+ years they still work.

Now my current rig.
CPU: i7 920------
Mobo: x58 classified E760    5 years of usage 1x RMA due to DOA
Ram: 12 gb Corsair Domniators 6x(2gb)
        Corsair Dominators 6gb (3x2gb) CMP6GX3M3A1600C8
        Corsair Dominators 6gb (3x2gb) TR3X6G1600C8D
GPU: EVGA GTX 770      Recently bought less than 2 months
HDDS: OCZ Vertex series going on 5 years of usage. 
           Western Digital 150gb Raptor (5 years of usage)  1x RMA died after a year was sent another after rma.
           Seagate 2 tb 
Cooling
Cooler: Heatkiller 2.0 on/off for about 2 years
Mosfet: Bitspower same as heatkiller
mobo: Bitspower evga classified x58 mobo block  On/Off for about 2 years because of issues with mobo
XSPC 480 quad rad used on/off about 2 years 
Most recent: Cooler Master Hyper 212 evo  used less than 2 months

Previous GPU's: 
EVGA GTX 295 Co-op edition  
RMA'd Due to capacitors blowing after a year of usage, EVGA was kind enough to send me a brand new.....
EVGA GTX 480 Used for over 4+ years 

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Case:
Silverstone TJ07

Well here's my story... When I 1st decided to build this rig 5 years ago I got the best stuff for it's current time. I was like an excited little boy on Christmas!
ON air I was able to push the 920 to about 3.4GHZ, until I moved to watercooling, in which I could push it towards 3.8-3.9GHZ but was too unstable so I decided to keep it
at 3.4ghz on watercooling for about 2 years. Eventually my GTX 295 crapped out on me after about a year and a half of usage and EVGA sent me a brand new
GTX 480! Thanks EVGA!!!

Everything ran smooth for 3+ years. 
Until about 2 months ago.......

I recently purchased an EVGA GTX 770 because I figured it's time for an upgrade! I also needed to clean out the system so I decided to remove the watercooling and go back to air.
After installing the new GPU.....
Problems:
My mobo now only recognizes 8gb out of 12gb. I've spent over a month now, researching and trying to figure out why? 
I've reseated the CPU cooler/Northbridge/Southbridge cooler. Checked for bent pins. Moved Ram to different slots. Manually set timings. Have tried switching from STD to XMP profile nothing changes.
24 hours of memtest 10 passes no errors :( 
tested each individual RAM slot/RAM module. They all seem to work! But when plugged in together, The OS only see's 7.99gb out of 12gb's.

So I decide, Maybe it's the OS. Time for a fresh install anyways...... worst decision i've made.....

After the fresh install on the OCZ vertex. VIOLA! ALL 12 GB's! for a while.....
Installing on AHCI.... Everytime I boot to desktop... BSOD! checked the minidump files nvstream.dll.... changed drivers... still BSOD's on AHCI. 
Change to IDE no BSOD... but now I can't install windows updates.... Error codes 0x80070570..
After installing windows FixIt! OS hangs.... Oh then boot into safe mode 7.99gb out of 12gb..... 
Then I install windows update readiness tool, the OS hangs over and over, if I switch to AHCI, I get a BSOD, 

Switching any of the HDD's to Sata port 0 or 1 after about an hour or two, I get a BSOD (A crucial memory process has terminated) no Code. no minidump. I lose the Sata ports forcing me to reset CMOS.... 
Switched the SSD to the SCSI ports, boots to desktop after 10 minutes windows hangs, then I must do a hard reset, this is on both the SSD and Seagate drives. 

I decide maybe it's the hard drive... So I decide to do another fresh install on my Seagate.....
Same issues...

This isn't the 1st time I've gotten these over the past 5 years i've gotten maybe hundreds of BSOD's but i've been able to fix them all. But after installing the GTX 770, 
it seems I have encountered all types of issues.

So I guess at this point, I am maybe giving up, and on here asking for some advice. I can post all minidump files if needed. Thanks in advance. 
But also want to ask 
Should I bite the bullet and buy a new i7 -4790k  
or try to fix this and wait for DDR4!

TLDR: New GTX 770, BSOD, 
post edited by spydere785 - 2014/07/28 02:50:26

12 Replies Related Threads

rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 102262
    • Ribbons : 84
    Re: 5 years of headaches, disappointments, and happiness. 2014/07/28 02:35:21 (permalink)
    Please try my old troubleshooting guide here:

http://forums.evga.com/FindPost/479626

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

spydere785
    Re: 5 years of headaches, disappointments, and happiness. 2014/07/28 02:47:37 (permalink)
    Thanks for the quick reply rjohnson11! 

I have tried that troubleshooting guide already. I've done every single step in the guide and non of them seem to work. 
    If I switch the MCH strap to DRAM ratio, I lose even more ram it goes from 12gb's to 3.99gb usable. Switching the TRL to +2 also does the same thing.
    I have also flashed to version 83 bios with the same results .
    I have remounted the CPU cooler and have checked for bent pins, none found. Same results.
    Increasing the memory low gap, I go from 12gb's to 3.99gbs.
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: 5 years of headaches, disappointments, and happiness. 2014/07/28 03:07:21 (permalink)
    At default motherboard settings try each stick of ram one at a time. When the problem occurs recheck that particular memory slot with another stick of ram. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X,  Corsair Mp700 Pro M.2, 64GB Corsair Dominator Titanium DDR5  X670E Steel Legend, MSI RTX 4090 Associate Code: H5U80QBH6BH0AXF. I am NOT an employee of EVGA

spydere785
    Re: 5 years of headaches, disappointments, and happiness. 2014/07/28 03:15:55 (permalink)
    Update: got my 12gigs back after resetting cmos but when trying to do windows updates I get error codes
    8007003, 800B0100, 80070570
    Googled what they were, deleted temporary update files (per link windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-update-error-80070003#1TC=windows-7 )

Now I am stuck at a black screen after restart with a post code of 8d    =(

Post code 8d is a parity error, off to check if memory modules are compatible with mobo.... I have been using them for over 4+ years now so I do not think that's the issue but.... you never know.

it seems  Corsair Dominators 6gb (3x2gb) CMP6GX3M3A1600C8 are not part of the compatible memory modules according to this list evga.com/support/motherboard/legacy/
    post edited by spydere785 - 2014/07/28 03:24:30
    rjohnson11
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    Re: 5 years of headaches, disappointments, and happiness. 2014/07/28 03:35:09 (permalink)
    Most memory modules should work without issues. I'm guessing you have one faulty module which is why I suggested testing one stick at a time in each slot. 

Gomez99
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 2637
    • Ribbons : 14
    Re: 5 years of headaches, disappointments, and happiness. 2014/07/28 20:27:49 (permalink)
    Have you tried going back to your previous working setup?

spydere785
    Re: 5 years of headaches, disappointments, and happiness. 2014/07/31 00:47:40 (permalink)
    Update:: Sorry for the delay, Work and testing things took some time. 

I tested each individual ram module, since the mobo will only boot on ram slot 1 which is the 1st red slot to the left of the CPU. All boot properly and ran normally for an hour under load. 
    I used Intel Burn test for about an hour using 50 passes. No issues =( with only each individual ram module in slot 1.....
    That took a while to do....
    Then I tested with triple channel = 3 ram modules in the red slots. 
    At 1st boot the motherboard recognizes the 6 gigabytes of ram. Then when it reaches windows the system hangs forcing a hard reset. BOOM! I lose two gigabytes of ram as soon as the motherboard posts..... No idea why. Maybe a faulty ram slot on the motherboard.... 
    I then proceeded to test each ram slot with 1 ram module on ram slot 1 in order to allow the motherboard to post. 
    At times it would notice all 4 gigabytes other times it would not and it seemed random. It did not matter which ram slot I switched too. The motherboard sometimes saw the 4 gigabytes and other times it did not using the same ram slots... Weird. Which leads me to believe the motherboard is starting to die.

After I fixed the windows issues using Microsoft FixIT. I was able to boot to windows normally. So I went ahead and used the computer as I normally would.
    This means
    NO AHCI. NO Triple channel as the motherboard only sees 4 gigabytes of 6.
    Now @ 2 days of usage windows will randomly freeze and hang.... NO BSOD, so I do not have any error codes...
    This leads to the disappearance of the SATA controller or all my SATA drives. Which forces me to do a CMOS reset (taking out the motherboard battery and pressing the reset CMOS button)
    in order for the motherboard to once again find all drives. 

Only then am I able to boot to windows and continue re-use... 

What a headache..... 

Edit::: @ Gomez99
    Yes I have tried going back to the GTX 480. Same issues nothing changes, It seems like as soon as I installed the GTX 770 (Something magically happened. =( )
    spydere785
    Re: 5 years of headaches, disappointments, and happiness. 2014/07/31 00:55:29 (permalink)
    So the question of the day is!!!

Since I have all these issues with this setup. Should I go ahead save myself from all these problems and just go ahead and get me a new i7-4790k, with a  Z87 Classified? 
    newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117369
    Randolla
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1873
    • Ribbons : 4
    Re: 5 years of headaches, disappointments, and happiness. 2014/08/01 11:31:14 (permalink)
    spydere785
    Update:: Sorry for the delay, Work and testing things took some time. 

I tested each individual ram module, since the mobo will only boot on ram slot 1 which is the 1st red slot to the left of the CPU. All boot properly and ran normally for an hour under load. 
    I used Intel Burn test for about an hour using 50 passes. No issues =( with only each individual ram module in slot 1.....
    That took a while to do....
    Then I tested with triple channel = 3 ram modules in the red slots. 
    At 1st boot the motherboard recognizes the 6 gigabytes of ram. Then when it reaches windows the system hangs forcing a hard reset. BOOM! I lose two gigabytes of ram as soon as the motherboard posts..... No idea why. Maybe a faulty ram slot on the motherboard.... 
    I then proceeded to test each ram slot with 1 ram module on ram slot 1 in order to allow the motherboard to post. 
    At times it would notice all 4 gigabytes other times it would not and it seemed random. It did not matter which ram slot I switched too. The motherboard sometimes saw the 4 gigabytes and other times it did not using the same ram slots... Weird. Which leads me to believe the motherboard is starting to die.

After I fixed the windows issues using Microsoft FixIT. I was able to boot to windows normally. So I went ahead and used the computer as I normally would.
    This means
    NO AHCI. NO Triple channel as the motherboard only sees 4 gigabytes of 6.
    Now @ 2 days of usage windows will randomly freeze and hang.... NO BSOD, so I do not have any error codes...
    This leads to the disappearance of the SATA controller or all my SATA drives. Which forces me to do a CMOS reset (taking out the motherboard battery and pressing the reset CMOS button)
    in order for the motherboard to once again find all drives. 

Only then am I able to boot to windows and continue re-use... 

What a headache..... 

Edit::: @ Gomez99
    Yes I have tried going back to the GTX 480. Same issues nothing changes, It seems like as soon as I installed the GTX 770 (Something magically happened. =( )

Sometimes unusual things will happen doing the simplest upgrade.  This happened to me when I killed a motherboard just putting in  a new GPU.  I put just enough pressure on the motherboard to screw something up.  It wasn't all bad since I then decided to upgrade to my current system. 

Intel 5930K@ 4.3 Ghz
    ASUS Rampage 5 Extreme Motherboard 
    EVGA GeForce 1080Ti SC
    Case Labs Merlin Full Tower case 
    NZXT Kraken X61 Liquid CPU cooler
    32 Gbs G.Skill Ripjaws 4 DDR4 2666
    EVGA  Supernova P1200 PSU
    Acer Predator X34 Monitor
    Samsung 512 Gb XP941 M2 SSD

HT Omega eClaro Soundcard[
    aka_STEVE_b
    EGC Admin
    • Total Posts : 17692
    • Ribbons : 69
    Re: 5 years of headaches, disappointments, and happiness. 2014/08/01 11:37:34 (permalink)
    Sounds more like the motherboard has started to lose functionality .... RMA it if possible. 

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X  12-core cpu~ ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero ~ EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3~ G.SKILL Trident Z NEO 32GB DDR4-3600 ~ Phanteks Eclipse P400s red case ~ EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G+ PSU ~ Intel 660p M.2 drive~ Crucial MX300 275 GB SSD ~WD 2TB SSD ~CORSAIR H115i RGB Pro XT 280mm cooler ~ CORSAIR Dark Core RGB Pro mouse ~ CORSAIR K68 Mech keyboard ~ HGST 4TB Hd.~ AOC AGON 32" monitor 1440p @ 144Hz ~ Win 10 x64
    spydere785
    Re: 5 years of headaches, disappointments, and happiness. 2014/08/04 09:50:03 (permalink)
    Last update::::
    Called EVGA and of course the motherboard is 5 years old bought in 2009. So there is no RMA available for the motherboard, CS was only able to tell me that it "Might be the memory controller on the CPU", which, yes maybe true, but the occurrences of the SATA drives disappearing and 8D code on post, truly leads me to believe that it may just be the motherboard overall dying after the new GPU was installed. 

New Things tried:: 
    Switched to a different PSU a Corsair 1000w, Currently using a Corsair 1200ax, No changes, still lost sata ports after about an hour of use.
    Removed the CPU cooler and re-checked the pins on the CPU. No bent pins, After re-seating CPU cooler, the motherboard recognized the 12 gig's of ram, got to windows, freeze, hard reset, 2 gigs lost.

Gave up on the board after all the issues, bought an Asus sabertooth z97 along with an i7-4790k.

R.I.P. x58 Classified, you will be missed!
    shawnoen
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 538
    • Ribbons : 1
    Re: 5 years of headaches, disappointments, and happiness. 2014/08/04 23:05:29 (permalink)
    141-BL-E760-A1

It should have a lifetime warranty.
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile