EVGA

3 New Titan Black Hydro Copper - Potential issues?

Author
hawk269
SSC Member
  • Total Posts : 715
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 3
2014/07/21 22:48:19 (permalink)
Hi All-

I recently received and installed 3 new EVGA Titan Black Hydro Coppers into my rig.  Things seem to be going good until I decided to run some benchmarks.  At stock settings, my 3 cards are hitting 3 different levels of peek voltage.  What is more alarming, is when I add the max allowed voltage via Precision X (not 15), I get the following at full load on my cards.

Titan Black #1 - 1.212v
Titan Black #2 - 1.200v
Titan Black #3 - 1.162v

Again, that is what I get a full load when applying the max voltages allowed via Precision.   I was under the belief that when applying the max Voltage to a card, the card should go up by that amount and it seems like my card, especially #3 does not do this. At stock, card 3 shows a 1.152 max voltage at full load, so it is only going to 1.162v at max voltage, which sounds odd.

Of course, with 2 cards hitting above 1.200v, I am limited to my OC them further since card #3 only goes to 1.162v.  Is this a defect?  I checked and all 3 cards are running the same bios.  

Can someone at EVGA please help out with this as these are $1400.00 cards x3, I want to make sure I don't have a dud of a card.

Thanks for any and all help.

-Hawk269
>>>View Mod-Rigs to the left for System Specs<<<

4 Replies Related Threads

NordicJedi
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 12570
    • Ribbons : 77
    Re: 3 New Titan Black Hydro Copper - Potential issues? 2014/07/22 00:25:04 (permalink)
    With the current generation of cards, the Power Target is an "as needed" setting, rather than an instant voltage change.  In other words, the cards will use the amount of voltage necessary up to what you set it at.  If it needs less than what you've set them to, then they'll use less.  The first card is generally worked the hardest, so it's not surprising it would use the most voltage.  After you start OC'ing, you should see those voltages increase until you hit your stability wall or a natural voltage difference due to the quality of the silicon between the chips.  At this time, the cards appear to be operating normally.

6012mhz on L/N2 
    5321mhz on L/N2
    5091mhz on air
    The Lightsaber
    The Emperor Reborn
    the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: 3 New Titan Black Hydro Copper - Potential issues? 2014/07/22 02:18:34 (permalink)
    Also, precision and other software reads voltage completely incorrect, so the cards may all be pulling the same voltage while precision is reading really wrong.
    trabe3
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1203
    • Ribbons : 8
    Re: 3 New Titan Black Hydro Copper - Potential issues? 2014/07/22 07:33:32 (permalink)
    Use GPU-Z to check the ASIC score of your cards.  If you right-click on the top bar, it will popup window and will have option to check what the ASIC score is.  My prediction is that #1 is the lowest score (60-70%s), #2 is higher (maybe low-mid 70%s), and #3 is the highest (probably in the upper 70%s or low 80%s).  If you don't know what ASIC score is, here is a good forum link that explains better. 
    http://forums.anandtech.com/archive/index.php/t-2246288.html

It is not an exact science though.  But what it essentially measures is the "quality" of the actual GPU die.  Higher score, means higher "quality" chip.  This translates into lower voltages for the same or higher clock speed.  Conversely, lower score, lower "quality" chip, requires more voltage to achieve the same clock speed.

So there is nothing technically wrong with your cards.  It is just the difference in "quality" of the chip.  I am fairly confident that is what you are seeing.  If you want to overclock more, you will need to either get best you can based on the 2 cards with the higher voltages and have the one with lower voltage not be overclocked as much.  Or you could unlink them and overclock each separately.  This way you can tailor the overclock to each individual card.

Hope this helps.  Good luck!

System #1
    ASUS RIV BE
    4930K 4.5GHz - Kraken X60 push/pull
    16Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133MHz
    EVGA 780 Classified SLI - Pro SLI Bridge
    Corsair AX1200i
    Windows 7 Pro
    NZXT Switch 810
    ASUS PB287Q 4K

System #2
    3930K @ 4.4GHz
    8Gb 1600Mhz
    XFX R9 270X (for now)
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: 3 New Titan Black Hydro Copper - Potential issues? 2014/07/22 08:16:03 (permalink)
    trabe3
    Use GPU-Z to check the ASIC score of your cards.  If you right-click on the top bar, it will popup window and will have option to check what the ASIC score is.  My prediction is that #1 is the lowest score (60-70%s), #2 is higher (maybe low-mid 70%s), and #3 is the highest (probably in the upper 70%s or low 80%s).  If you don't know what ASIC score is, here is a good forum link that explains better. 
    http://forums.anandtech.com/archive/index.php/t-2246288.html

It is not an exact science though.  But what it essentially measures is the "quality" of the actual GPU die.  Higher score, means higher "quality" chip.  This translates into lower voltages for the same or higher clock speed.  Conversely, lower score, lower "quality" chip, requires more voltage to achieve the same clock speed.

So there is nothing technically wrong with your cards.  It is just the difference in "quality" of the chip.  I am fairly confident that is what you are seeing.  If you want to overclock more, you will need to either get best you can based on the 2 cards with the higher voltages and have the one with lower voltage not be overclocked as much.  Or you could unlink them and overclock each separately.  This way you can tailor the overclock to each individual card.

Hope this helps.  Good luck!

On my 3 EVGA Titan Hydro's I put my highest ASIC score as the 1st card that is next to the CPU.
    In 3-Way SLI or not in SLI not one of the cards runs the same way.

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile