2 different graphic cards in one system

Author
joonsetsfire
  • Total Posts : 8
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2015/09/04 07:26:46 (permalink)
Howdy guys

I'm wondering if it's possible to have 2 different graphic cards in one system.
I got a titan X mostly for 3d art rendering purpose. I noticed the display is laggy while I'm rendering or even previewing. Can't afford another Titan X but I can go for lower models like 970...
Does this work?

8 Replies Related Threads

bsmegreg
    FTW Member
    • Total Posts : 1604
    • Ribbons : 6
    Re: 2 different graphic cards in one system 2015/09/04 07:45:41 (permalink)
    To explain about this you first need to understand SLI. SLI is the feature that allows you to 'boost' you main GPU by splitting the work load 50/50 for each card (80% boost). However you cannot SLI diffrient series like a TITAN X with a 980/970/960/950(etc).

So you couldn't do SLI, but you could technically use the 970 out of SLI to do a diffrient monitor. So for example, monitor 1 would be on the TITAN X which would be in PCIe slot 1, and monitor 2+ would be on the 970. The perks to this are minor as its not going to help render 3d apps. What it would do though is allow you to use more monitors and play a game on an extra monitor without using the TITANX so you could play games and game at the same time. The main reason to do this is just for extra monitors as it's extremely complicated and can cause complications.

But to be honest I'm not sure how it would render it exactly with the 3d applications. I would imagine it would always render on the primary GPU which would still be the TITANX, so this wouldn't help. This is unless maybe there's an option to choose which GPU to render on. Like I know with folding you can do that, which is diffrient but it's similar.

This isn't a big deal as you can buy a second hand TITANX for $800-$900. But the only reason to do what you want is to get extra monitors, unless you can choose which GPU the 3d application renders on (maybe your using CAT or something). In which case you could render two projects at once, the TITANX being faster.

bsmegreg
    FTW Member
    Re: 2 different graphic cards in one system 2015/09/04 07:46:08 (permalink)
    Please feel free to correct me anyone if I was wrong on anything too.

atfrico
    Omnipotent Enthusiast
    • Total Posts : 12753
    • Ribbons : 25
    Re: 2 different graphic cards in one system 2015/09/04 07:54:01 (permalink)
    Yes you can have 2 different cards in your system and bsmegreg is correct, you cant SLI them since both cards are/have different specs.  A Titan X is enough to be honest, but if you are using the other GPU for PhysX, its ok to use also.

Those who abuse power, are nothing but scumbags! The challenge of power is how to use it and not abuse it. The abuse of power that seems to create the most unhappiness is when a person uses personal power to get ahead without regards to the welfare of others, people are obsessed with it. You can take a nice person and turn them into a slob, into an insane being, craving power, destroying anything that stands in their way.

Affiliate Code: 3T15O1S07G
    bsmegreg
    FTW Member
    Re: 2 different graphic cards in one system 2015/09/04 08:12:14 (permalink)
    atfrico
    Yes you can have 2 different cards in your system and bsmegreg is correct, you cant SLI them since both cards are/have different specs.  A Titan X is enough to be honest, but if you are using the other GPU for PhysX, its ok to use also.

I forgot to mention PhysX which is a feature that allows you to set the badest card to process PhysX which can give you a slight boost in some games. But as far as 3d applications work, I don't see how that help.

joonsetsfire
    • Total Posts : 8
    Re: 2 different graphic cards in one system 2015/09/04 11:00:46 (permalink)
    Thank you guys for detailed reply!

OK, so no SLI and it makes sense that I can't SLI two different models.
    I just felt like titan X was sluggish while it's rendering and also trying to handle 2K monitor.
    I'm gonna look for another graphic card that can handle 2k output that is relatively cheaper and dedicate my titanX solely for rendering.

Thanks guys!

bsmegreg
    FTW Member
    Re: 2 different graphic cards in one system 2015/09/04 11:52:00 (permalink)
    joonsetsfire

I just felt like titan X was sluggish while it's rendering and also trying to handle 2K monitor.
    I'm gonna look for another graphic card that can handle 2k output that is relatively cheaper and dedicate my titanX solely for rendering.

Thanks guys!

You can set the TITANX in PCIe slot 1 and the 970 in slot 2 or 3 and plug the monitor(s) into the GTX 970. You can do that based off what you said and then the TITAN X would do your rendering and the 970 would be a separate entity and work on its own doing display.

the_Scarlet_one
    formerly Scarlet-tech
    • Total Posts : 24581
    • Ribbons : 79
    Re: 2 different graphic cards in one system 2015/09/04 13:45:52 (permalink)
    bsmegreg
    joonsetsfire

Thanks guys!

You can set the TITANX in PCIe slot 1 and the 970 in slot 2 or 3 and plug the monitor(s) into the GTX 970. You can do that based off what you said and then the TITAN X would do your rendering and the 970 would be a separate entity and work on its own doing display.

On that note, depending on your cpu and if it has internal graphics, you may be able to use the igpu to see how it works.
    ltkhoi90
    • Total Posts : 72
    Re: 2 different graphic cards in one system 2015/09/04 16:09:13 (permalink)
    No you cant . But why you dont sell the titan x and go with two 980ti

I am a PC hardware addiction that why I am verry poor :) Nice to meet all of you
    https://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=100090
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile