1200 P2 - Erratic power draw?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Vlada011
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10257
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 11
Re: 1200 P2 - Erratic power draw? 2015/05/07 10:45:42 (permalink)
I'm not even sure why he RMA PSU before check everything...
But if they replace him that mean really something was not OK.
Why we should worry when EVGA give numbers of 1000/1300 G2 and 1000 P2 when some minor problem was recognized in first part of 2013.
With small number of PSU. And I doubt they launched some new revision of 1200 P2, anyway first revision is tested by Jonny Guru and TPU and they didn't recognize nothing problematic.

post edited by Vlada011 - 2015/05/07 10:52:24

i7-5820K 4.5GHz/RVE10-EK Monoblock/Dominator Platinum 2666/ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon/SBZxR /Samsung 970 EVO PLus 1TB/850 EVO 1TB /EVGA 1200P2/Lian Li PC-O11WXC/EK XRES D5 Revo 100 Glass/Coolstream PE360-Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM x3
http://www.evga.com
http://www.intel.com
http://www.nvidia.com
https://watercool.de
http://www.lian-li.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMun5xiRe0

https://xdevs.com/guide/2080ti_kpe/#intro
https://www.evga.com/articles/01386/evga-sr-3-dark/

deadite_9
Superclocked Member
  • Total Posts : 101
  • Ribbons : 3
Re: 1200 P2 - Erratic power draw? 2015/05/07 12:38:51 (permalink)
Vlada011
That mean everything is OK with PSU... 
You mean package of PSU and PSU are little different? 
My PSU have serial number bellow 50... 
Your posts worry me... 
If you package of PSU is different you can post picture...
EVGA 1200 P2 have 16 five starts from 17 total on Newegg.
Only one give one start because for them cables are short. 
Nobody complain before. 
And my tester plug is same as you can see on pictures 850 G2, 750 G2, etc... with wires
I think you got different PSU tester, like EVGA give with 1000 PS and Silent Series. 
Maybe is not different PSU, maybe only they didn't had more and made different tester and now give them with all power supplies.

Relax, man... I think you're probably just fine. I noticed something with my particular setup that looked a little strange, and bcavnaugh chimed in because he noticed the same thing. However, it's just been the two of us going back and forth, so it is most likely just a mild compatibility issue with the brand of UPS that both he and I use. I will continue to look into it on my end, but I don't think it is a massive defect in the product line, or anything like that. And even though the UPS was going haywire, I never noticed any actual problem with the PC in the short time that I've used the power supply-- so I think we're all good.

The differences in the outside of the packaging were very slight. The two main things that I noticed are that the background on the original box had a marbled/textured look (similar to the power supply itself), and there were gray-colored accents around the lettering. It also mentioned the 2013 3DMark Hall of Fame on the side of the box. The box for the new unit has a honeycomb-type texture in the background, like the EVGA video cards do, with blue accents around the logo. It also mentioned the same award for the 3DMark Hall of Fame, but for 2014 (instead of 2013, which is why I made the assumption that it's newer). The original box was also sealed in something that felt like cellophane, whereas the new box was sealed in regular old shrink wrap.

The PSU didn't look different at all from what I remember, but I haven't had them both side-by-side just yet. I think the only real differences were in the outside of the box, along with the tester plug that was inside it.

I can post pictures of the boxes later on, if you really need me to... I just can't do it at the moment.

bcavnaugh
I would not look at the serial number but the lot number.
I am going with what I have and not creating a support ticket.
Also because EVGA did not see any need to post to here we should be ok with or power supplies.

I agree... it's most likely a non-issue. However, if EVGA is monitoring the threads... I don't see why someone hasn't taken the time to post, one way or the other. It just seems to me like addressing the issue (if there even is one) would be the polite thing to do on their part, ya know?

/shrug

Anyway, thanks for all of the help so far. I really appreciate it!

:: CPU Core i9-13900K :: AIO Corsair H150i Elite Capellix XT + (6x) Noctua NF-A12x25 chromax :: MB MSI MPG Z790 Carbon Wi-Fi :: DDR5 96GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB (6400MHz, 32-39-39-102) :: GPU NVIDIA RTX 4090 FE :: 4K Samsung Q8FN (65" QLED) :: AUDIO HDMI (AVR, 7.2.2) :: INPUT Logitech G613 + G305 + Xbox One S Controller (wireless) :: OS Windows 11 Pro (22H2) :: NVME (4X) WD_Black SN850X (4TB/4TB/4TB/2TB) :: SSD (2x) Samsung 870 EVO (4TB/2TB) :: HDD (1x) WD Gold (6TB) :: CASE Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL (black) :: FANS (7x) Noctua NF-A12x25 chromax + (1x) NF-A8 chromax + (2x) NF-A6x25 PWM :: PSU EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G6 + CableMod PRO ModMesh (black/white) ::
deadite_9
Superclocked Member
Re: 1200 P2 - Erratic power draw? 2015/05/09 12:30:35 (permalink)
Just a quick update for those who may be interested (primarily Vlada011 and bcavnaugh):

The Kill-A-Watt has proven that the power draw from the wall socket is normal (roughly 135w when the PC is idle and the monitor is asleep), even though the UPS is showing numbers that bounce all over the place. I'm sure bcavnaugh had already reached that conclusion, but I wanted to be sure and post that for the sake of Vlada011's sanity.

I submitted a support request to CyberPower just to get their thoughts on the matter, but I don't expect much in the way of an explanation. I will continue to check this out, however, as I haven't gotten around to testing the new power supply on this same UPS just yet (or even in the PC, for that matter). I'll post any further findings as I come across them. I will be busy transferring all the internals to a new case within the next few days, though (and generally rearranging things in the process), so it may be a while before I post any needed updates.

Thanks again for all the help and insight!

:: CPU Core i9-13900K :: AIO Corsair H150i Elite Capellix XT + (6x) Noctua NF-A12x25 chromax :: MB MSI MPG Z790 Carbon Wi-Fi :: DDR5 96GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB (6400MHz, 32-39-39-102) :: GPU NVIDIA RTX 4090 FE :: 4K Samsung Q8FN (65" QLED) :: AUDIO HDMI (AVR, 7.2.2) :: INPUT Logitech G613 + G305 + Xbox One S Controller (wireless) :: OS Windows 11 Pro (22H2) :: NVME (4X) WD_Black SN850X (4TB/4TB/4TB/2TB) :: SSD (2x) Samsung 870 EVO (4TB/2TB) :: HDD (1x) WD Gold (6TB) :: CASE Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL (black) :: FANS (7x) Noctua NF-A12x25 chromax + (1x) NF-A8 chromax + (2x) NF-A6x25 PWM :: PSU EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G6 + CableMod PRO ModMesh (black/white) ::
bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
  • Total Posts : 38977
  • Ribbons : 282
Re: 1200 P2 - Erratic power draw? 2015/05/09 12:54:19 (permalink)
deadite_9
Just a quick update for those who may be interested (primarily Vlada011 and bcavnaugh):

The Kill-A-Watt has proven that the power draw from the wall socket is normal (roughly 135w when the PC is idle and the monitor is asleep), even though the UPS is showing numbers that bounce all over the place. I'm sure bcavnaugh had already reached that conclusion, but I wanted to be sure and post that for the sake of Vlada011's sanity.

I submitted a support request to CyberPower just to get their thoughts on the matter, but I don't expect much in the way of an explanation. I will continue to check this out, however, as I haven't gotten around to testing the new power supply on this same UPS just yet (or even in the PC, for that matter). I'll post any further findings as I come across them. I will be busy transferring all the internals to a new case within the next few days, though (and generally rearranging things in the process), so it may be a while before I post any needed updates.

Thanks again for all the help and insight!

Thanks for the update, I do recall they do have Firmware updates as well.

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

deadite_9
Superclocked Member
Re: 1200 P2 - Erratic power draw? 2015/05/14 08:12:07 (permalink)
A bit of a progress report for those who may be interested...

Finally got around to doing a little more testing after the last of my new hardware came in (I'm taking the opportunity to tear everything down and rebuild it since I'm already gutting the machine for the new power supply).

Connecting each power supply to the UPS yields essentially the same results: the wattage on the display bounces around like before, except the values are lower since there's no load (I only connected the 24-pin and the tester plug). There were subtle differences in the numbers and frequency of the fluctuations between the two power supplies, but they both caused the UPS to (mis)behave in the same way. The new unit does seem a little more stable when connected to a surge protector and the Kill-A-Watt meter on a different outlet, though-- the wattage doesn't drop as low (or as often) as it does with the original power supply.

There were also subtle physical differences that I noticed. Going by the little white label that's attached to the bottom of the power supply (the one located next to the serial number), the new PSU appears to have been made in early 2015, while the original one was made sometime around the middle of 2014. The original one also has a round yellow dot (another sticker) attached to the side of the unit, as well as the box. The new one didn't have one of these stickers, though I have no idea what it's supposed to signify. The new unit also "feels" a little more substantial; I think the screws on the original unit weren't tightened as snugly as they should've been. It doesn't feel flimsy, by any means... but the new one definitely feels sturdier when you pick it up.

I also heard back from CyberPower a few days ago, but they had no idea what's actually going on. Since nothing else that I have seems to cause the UPS to act up, they could only conclude that the power supply is causing it. But they also said that there should be no problem with ignoring the fluctuations if everything else is working as expected (and it is, as far as I can tell).

Thanks for taking the time to read. I'll continue to update, as needed.

P.S. Ironically, I had the fully-assembled PC up and running and connected to the Kill-A-Watt with the original power supply at one point, but I totally forgot to check the display on the meter.  I remembered as soon as I had almost everything disconnected, and had already pulled the video cards. I didn't feel like reassembling everything just to satisfy my curiosity since I'd already checked it with the Kill-A-Watt while it was connected to the battery backup... I will be sure to confirm the numbers once everything is rebuilt, though.
post edited by deadite_9 - 2015/05/14 11:34:52

bcavnaugh
The Crunchinator
  • Total Posts : 38977
  • Ribbons : 282
Re: 1200 P2 - Erratic power draw? 2015/05/14 10:21:04 (permalink)
Thanks for the Update, I do hope though that CyberPower looks a little closer at this odd issue.

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

premudriy
  • Total Posts : 25
  • Ribbons : 0
Re: 1200 P2 - Erratic power draw? 2015/09/16 23:43:13 (permalink)
oh, wow, I thought I was the only one having this problem. I just put a new computer together (2 weeks ago) and I also ordered CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD and EVGA P2 1200. Same exact problem as the original poster has: wattage meter fluctuates like crazy from 0 (really, zero watts) to 230 watts. At first I was also thinking that it's the CyberPower UPS is faulty. I've read though hundreds of reviews on NewEgg and Amazon and found nobody having this power fluctuation issue, so I thought I've got a lemon UPS. And I also tested other devices (computers/lamps/etc) and those didn't produce wattage fluctuation, but only this new computer with this power supply, so then I thought it's the Power Supply's fault.

Here's another troubling news though. Today (a few hours ago) we've had a short brownout (2 sequential light flicks the house) and guess what, the computer got rebooted, UPS didn't help. This is weird because after the incident I have tried manually to plug/unplug the UPS from the outlet in repeated succession to simulate sequential brownouts and computer never rebooted. I unplugged/plugged it very frequently for the test (about 3 times per second) as well as tried to unplug the cord while the UPS relay was switching back to AC. Basically I couldn't reproduce the computer reboot no matter what.

So the question remains, why did it reboot? I was actually going to RMA this UPS tomorrow, but now I'm not sure what to do. After finding this forum and seeing that at least 2 other people observe the same behavior with this PSU/Power Supply combination, it seems that this is how these two devices work together. And with manual tests I couldn't cause computer to reboot, so these facts make me think that both UPS and Power Supply work as intended. On the other hand the reboot did happen during the actual power outage, but I'm not sure if it's only single coincidence or the result of weird interaction between the UPS/Power Supply and computer will always fail during brownout.

I think I'll wait a bit more and try to see if future brownouts will cause computer to reboot ever again. Btw, did any of you, guys, with the same UPS/Power Supply have ever had computer reboot during brownout?

CPU: i7 3930k (OCed to 4.3GHz)
CPU HSF: Noctua nh-d14
MoBo: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
PSU: Corsair Pro Gold AX1200 (1200 watts)
Video: eVGA GTX680 FTW+ (4GB)
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1866MHz
HDD: 1) Crucial M4 128GB SSD, 2) Seagate 1TB (sata 6, didn't bother to write the model)
Case: Cooler Master  Cosmos II
deadite_9
Superclocked Member
Re: 1200 P2 - Erratic power draw? 2015/09/18 08:33:59 (permalink)
premudriy
oh, wow, I thought I was the only one having this problem. I just put a new computer together (2 weeks ago) and I also ordered CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD and EVGA P2 1200. Same exact problem as the original poster has: wattage meter fluctuates like crazy from 0 (really, zero watts) to 230 watts. At first I was also thinking that it's the CyberPower UPS is faulty. I've read though hundreds of reviews on NewEgg and Amazon and found nobody having this power fluctuation issue, so I thought I've got a lemon UPS. And I also tested other devices (computers/lamps/etc) and those didn't produce wattage fluctuation, but only this new computer with this power supply, so then I thought it's the Power Supply's fault.

Here's another troubling news though. Today (a few hours ago) we've had a short brownout (2 sequential light flicks the house) and guess what, the computer got rebooted, UPS didn't help. This is weird because after the incident I have tried manually to plug/unplug the UPS from the outlet in repeated succession to simulate sequential brownouts and computer never rebooted. I unplugged/plugged it very frequently for the test (about 3 times per second) as well as tried to unplug the cord while the UPS relay was switching back to AC. Basically I couldn't reproduce the computer reboot no matter what.

So the question remains, why did it reboot? I was actually going to RMA this UPS tomorrow, but now I'm not sure what to do. After finding this forum and seeing that at least 2 other people observe the same behavior with this PSU/Power Supply combination, it seems that this is how these two devices work together. And with manual tests I couldn't cause computer to reboot, so these facts make me think that both UPS and Power Supply work as intended. On the other hand the reboot did happen during the actual power outage, but I'm not sure if it's only single coincidence or the result of weird interaction between the UPS/Power Supply and computer will always fail during brownout.

I think I'll wait a bit more and try to see if future brownouts will cause computer to reboot ever again. Btw, did any of you, guys, with the same UPS/Power Supply have ever had computer reboot during brownout?

Was the PC under any kind of load when it rebooted, or was it just sitting idle?

I'm honestly not sure that I've ever experienced a true brownout condition (where the incoming voltage dropped but didn't actually disconnect). Usually when the power fluctuates around here, it seems to completely disconnect from the grid-- even if it's only for a couple of seconds. I know that the UPS is supposed to regulate the incoming voltage, so I'm not sure why yours completely dropped off. I suppose it's entirely possible that the built-in AVR is only good up to a certain threshold above/below nominal voltage, and that particular brownout condition exceeded it.

I've spent most of my evenings this summer gaming and haven't had any issues that I've noticed involving power. It's blinked off a few times here and there (summer weather in the south can be predictably unpredictable in the afternoons and evenings), but the PC just kept on chugging thanks to the UPS. The display still does the weird fluctuating thing that it does, but it's easy to ignore since I leave the display turned off.

I would contact CyberPower's support and ask their opinion on the reboot. They were quick to respond when I asked about the fluctuating display a few months ago.

premudriy
  • Total Posts : 25
Re: 1200 P2 - Erratic power draw? 2015/09/18 22:32:28 (permalink)
deadite_9
Was the PC under any kind of load when it rebooted, or was it just sitting idle?

I'm honestly not sure that I've ever experienced a true brownout condition (where the incoming voltage dropped but didn't actually disconnect). Usually when the power fluctuates around here, it seems to completely disconnect from the grid-- even if it's only for a couple of seconds. I know that the UPS is supposed to regulate the incoming voltage, so I'm not sure why yours completely dropped off. I suppose it's entirely possible that the built-in AVR is only good up to a certain threshold above/below nominal voltage, and that particular brownout condition exceeded it.

I've spent most of my evenings this summer gaming and haven't had any issues that I've noticed involving power. It's blinked off a few times here and there (summer weather in the south can be predictably unpredictable in the afternoons and evenings), but the PC just kept on chugging thanks to the UPS. The display still does the weird fluctuating thing that it does, but it's easy to ignore since I leave the display turned off.

I would contact CyberPower's support and ask their opinion on the reboot. They were quick to respond when I asked about the fluctuating display a few months ago.

It turns out I was actually wrong about reboot, lol. I've done some more analyzing and here's what happened, it's quite hilarious:
I have also had my cable modem, router, and NAS device hooked up to this UPS. I've had it hooked up via a surge-protected power strip, but then later read that it's not a good idea to connect surge protectors to USP outlets because they also have surge protectors. So I unplugged and had my modem, router, and NAS connected directly to outlet, past the UPS. During brownout I was working on setting up VMs (this new build is for KVM server) remotely, via ssh (this server is headless). After brownout I've completely lost the connection to server and, most importantly, have heard the HDDs spin up! I have 8 HDDs in this new server, so I thought they are the ones spinning up, hence I concluded that server has lost power and rebooted.

What actually happened was that router/modem lost power, so I've lost the connection (duh). The NAS has also lost power and rebooted, because it was connected past UPS, and drives inside NAS was what I have heard spinning up, lol! I remember now that when I gained the connectivity back, the VM I was setting up was still running. Therefore the server must have been all the time running and did not reboot. The sound of HDDs spinning up in addition to lost connection is what really threw me off. I can't believe I've forgotten that I connected NAS/modem/router separately.

So basically this UPS is good and worked as expected, I'm glad I haven't shipped it back. It does have weird wattage reading with this power supply, but at least it protects the equipment as designed. And like I said before, I have ran some pretty harsh tests on UPS after I thought it caused computer reboot (unplugged/plugged frequently many, many times in a ro), so this UPS works reliably.

I don't know if the firmware is upgradable on this UPS via USB on the back, but maybe CyberPower will investigate why it works this way with EVGA P2 1200 specifically and provide an update. I will try to contact CyberPower and see what they say about possibility of investigation and possibility of firmware upgrade. After all, if they hear about this wattage/usage reading problem from multiple people, they might be more inclined to do something about it and provide a fix.
post edited by premudriy - 2015/09/18 22:42:48

CPU: i7 3930k (OCed to 4.3GHz)
CPU HSF: Noctua nh-d14
MoBo: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
PSU: Corsair Pro Gold AX1200 (1200 watts)
Video: eVGA GTX680 FTW+ (4GB)
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1866MHz
HDD: 1) Crucial M4 128GB SSD, 2) Seagate 1TB (sata 6, didn't bother to write the model)
Case: Cooler Master  Cosmos II
deadite_9
Superclocked Member
Re: 1200 P2 - Erratic power draw? 2015/09/19 13:53:33 (permalink)
Glad it was just a mix-up, and not the UPS failing on you.

I've actually got my modem, switch, router, and a powered sub on another UPS sitting right next to this one (same model)... and two more on the other side of my entertainment center powering all of my A/V gear and consoles. I really do love these things. If I were you, I'd definitely pick up a relatively inexpensive UPS and use that to power your network equipment (unless your NAS has specific power requirements, any old UPS with enough battery-powered outlets should work); sounds like you'd have fewer headaches if your network could withstand these brief power outages/brownout conditions.

And as for the whole weird fluctuating display thing-- I honestly think it might be the power supply. The display on the UPS doesn't act all spastic when the PC is under load (or at least it doesn't in my case). It only does it when the computer is sitting idle, or using low power (i.e., browsing, etc.). CyberPower didn't seem too concerned about it when I asked them, since it seemed to be functioning correctly otherwise. But I agree that they might take notice if more people inquire about it. I'd be curious to know if you make any headway with them if you decide to pursue it.

Vlada011
Omnipotent Enthusiast
  • Total Posts : 10257
  • Ribbons : 11
Re: 1200 P2 - Erratic power draw? 2015/09/21 22:31:13 (permalink)
post edited by Vlada011 - 2015/09/22 13:35:14

i7-5820K 4.5GHz/RVE10-EK Monoblock/Dominator Platinum 2666/ASUS GTX1080Ti Poseidon/SBZxR /Samsung 970 EVO PLus 1TB/850 EVO 1TB /EVGA 1200P2/Lian Li PC-O11WXC/EK XRES D5 Revo 100 Glass/Coolstream PE360-Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM x3
http://www.evga.com
http://www.intel.com
http://www.nvidia.com
https://watercool.de
http://www.lian-li.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHMun5xiRe0

https://xdevs.com/guide/2080ti_kpe/#intro
https://www.evga.com/articles/01386/evga-sr-3-dark/

camomatt
  • Total Posts : 1
Re: 1200 P2 - Erratic power draw? 2016/07/20 01:52:50 (permalink)
Sorry for res'ing an old topic, but I wanted to add my two cents for anyone else who is having this issue.

I have the same UPS and PSU as OP and I have the same issue where the power draw is erratic during idle situations. I suspect this is normal behavior for this combination of PSU and UPS, as I haven't had this problem with any other PSU thus far.
deadite_9
Superclocked Member
Re: 1200 P2 - Erratic power draw? 2016/07/20 10:17:41 (permalink)
camomatt
Sorry for res'ing an old topic, but I wanted to add my two cents for anyone else who is having this issue.

I have the same UPS and PSU as OP and I have the same issue where the power draw is erratic during idle situations. I suspect this is normal behavior for this combination of PSU and UPS, as I haven't had this problem with any other PSU thus far.

That certainly appears to be the case. It's also never caused me issues, other than annoying me when the display is on and I happen to notice it.

And for the record, I also have three other SuperNOVA PSUs (two 850 P2s and an 850 G2) that don't behave this way when used with either a CP1500PFCLCD or a CP1000PFCLCD. Seems to be isolated to the 1200 P2.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile