EVGA

1080 FTW Dead after standby

Author
Phrak
  • Total Posts : 8
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/08/27 23:47:05 (permalink)
Received and installed on 7/10/2016, never overclocked, was working fine until this afternoon. Tried to wake out of standby and nothing but a black screen. No fans, no LEDs. Tried rebooting with 2nd (slave) bios still nothing, no fans no LEDs. Removed and reinstalled card, tried a backup monitor still nothing. Anything else to try before I request RMA?

8 Replies Related Threads

arestavo
    CLASSIFIED ULTRA Member
    • Total Posts : 6916
    • Ribbons : 76
    Re: 1080 FTW Dead after standby 2016/08/27 23:57:45 (permalink)
    Phrak
    Received and installed on 7/10/2016, never overclocked, was working fine until this afternoon. Tried to wake out of standby and nothing but a black screen. No fans, no LEDs. Tried rebooting with 2nd (slave) bios still nothing, no fans no LEDs. Removed and reinstalled card, tried a backup monitor still nothing. Anything else to try before I request RMA?

Try different PCIE power cables, try a different PCIE slot, try the GPU in a different computer.

If those fail or you can't do those steps then an RMA is in your future.

Edit: I highly recommend testing it out in a friend's computer or at a PC repair shop - it might be that your power supply is bad.
    post edited by arestavo - 2016/08/28 00:03:40
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: 1080 FTW Dead after standby 2016/08/28 07:19:09 (permalink)
    Welcome to the Forum Phrak

Information about your Computer will allow members to help you.
    This info will really help other Forum Members to help you.

Motherboard:
    Make:
    Model:
    Bios Version:
    Is Bios Current Yes or No.

CPU:
    Model:
    Settings:

Memory:
    Make:
    Model:
    Settings:

GPU/Video:
    Make:
    Model:
    Driver Version:
    GPU/Video:
    Make:
    Model:
    Driver Version:
    PSU:
    Make:
    Model:
    Other PCI/PCIe installed Devices:
    Make:
    Model:
    Slot Number Installed:
    Driver Version:

Other PCI/PCIe installed Devices:
    Make:
    Model:
    Slot Number Installed:
    Driver Version:

Version:
    Service Pack Level:
    Windows/Patch Level:

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

Tech_RayH
    SSC Member
    • Total Posts : 834
    • Ribbons : 7
    Re: 1080 FTW Dead after standby 2016/08/28 08:42:24 (permalink)
    Hello, the system may not be powering the card back on after sleep. You will want to go the Windows Power settings > Advanced > and disable Link-State Power management. And what type of display cable are you running from the card to the monitor, if it is Display Port I would recommend trying a different cable, more info: http://www.evga.com/support/faq/?f=59615

...an untrammeled flow of words in an open forum.
    - Adlai E. Stevenson

Phrak
    Re: 1080 FTW Dead after standby 2016/08/29 07:57:42 (permalink)
    I pulled the 1080 reinstalled the old GTX 770 and at least got the system back up and running. The main components are 3 years old or more, didn't go through all of the details yet but here's more system info:

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Intel Z77
    Bios Version: Not sure atm, will check

CPU:  i7-3770 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz
    Settings: Pretty base settings, not overclocked

Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600 (CMZ16GX3M2A1600C9 *2)
    Settings: 9-9-9-24 / cas latency 9

(new) GPU/Video: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0 - 08G-P4-6286-KR...
    Driver Version: 372.54 WHQL - 8/15/2016

(old) GPU/Video: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 SC 2GB 02G-P4-2774-KR
    Driver Version: 372.54 WHQL - 8/15/2016

PSU: PC Power & Cooling S75QB 750W ATX12V / EPS12V

Plus SSD, multiple hard drives

Monitor: ACER X34

I did quickly test the PCI-E connector voltage outputs and according to pinouts they all seem to be right voltage wise (12.17V each). I took the 1080 to work today to try and run it up, but may not be able to find a system I can open up with sufficient power. Since the PSU in my system is older thatn the rest of the components, I ordered a new 850w PSU (EVGA SuperNOVA 850 P2 220-P2-0850-X1) today which will show up wednesday. So I'll hold off on final judgement until I can test with that.

Thanks for the feedback guys, I did disable the Link-State Power management but not until I'd put the old GPU in. Stay tuned.

7/5/2014
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30978
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: 1080 FTW Dead after standby 2016/08/29 08:14:04 (permalink)
    Turn OFF fast Boot

What about Safe Mode ? does it work

System set to hibernate ?

Could be a Win 10 update issue:  Win 10 Does Not install the Full driver when it installs GPU driver

Check this: Windows 10 Won’t Wake Up from Sleep or Turn ON Issue

http://www.troublefixers....-or-turn-on-issue/166/

excerpt 1
    • Go to “Device manager“.
    • Right click on Intel(R) HD Graphics Family or ATI or Nvidia which ever applies for your computer and select “Properties“.
    • Go to Driver Tab and Click “Roll Back Driver“.
    • Reboot your Computer.

excerpt 2

For fixing wake up issue, you need to follow these steps and try to run the Power troubleshooter:
    1. Press Windows key + X on the keyboard.
    2. Click on Control panel.
    3. Type “Troubleshooting” without quotes in the Control panel search box.
    4. Click on Troubleshooting and click on View all.
    5. Click on Power troubleshooter and follow the on-screen instructions.
    Also try to run the “System maintenance troubleshooter” from “Troubleshooting” lists after running “Power Troubleshooter“.
    Also turn off “Fast Restart” in the power settings.

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Phrak
    Re: 1080 FTW Dead after standby 2016/08/29 10:59:34 (permalink)
    Quick update. I managed to find a year old system with an antec 650W PSU with an asus P9D WS MB (PCIe 3.0 x16), installed the 1080 using dedicated 8 pin power * 2 (not PCIE Y connectors) and still dead. Doesn't even register that the PCIe slot is filled in the BIOS. Can't get to safe mode, etc with the card as the monitor just goes into 'no signal' mode.

Like I said in the OP, everything was working fine that morning. I already had the system power settings set to not hibernate, but turn the display off after 15 minutes and it had been working flawlessly since installed in mid-july. Walked up to it later in the afternoon and hit the keyboard expecting the display to wake up and no display. The system still responded as I could hear other components working just the GPU was not working. Various tries with reseating, other PCIe and monitor cables didn't change anything, still dead, no fan, no leds.

Tried both bios settings (master/slave), no change.

Going back to my old 770 worked immediately, just had to take the monitor off of 100hz.

At this point I think that I need to RMA. The card is 6 weeks old, shouldn't just stop working like this.
    bcavnaugh
    The Crunchinator
    • Total Posts : 38977
    • Ribbons : 282
    Re: 1080 FTW Dead after standby 2016/08/29 11:04:08 (permalink)

Phrak
    Quick update. I managed to find a year old system with an antec 650W PSU with an asus P9D WS MB (PCIe 3.0 x16), installed the 1080 using dedicated 8 pin power * 2 (not PCIE Y connectors) and still dead. Doesn't even register that the PCIe slot is filled in the BIOS. Can't get to safe mode, etc with the card as the monitor just goes into 'no signal' mode.

Like I said in the OP, everything was working fine that morning. I already had the system power settings set to not hibernate, but turn the display off after 15 minutes and it had been working flawlessly since installed in mid-july. Walked up to it later in the afternoon and hit the keyboard expecting the display to wake up and no display. The system still responded as I could hear other components working just the GPU was not working. Various tries with reseating, other PCIe and monitor cables didn't change anything, still dead, no fan, no leds.

Going back to my old 770 worked immediately, just had to take the monitor off of 100hz.

At this point I think that I need to RMA. The card is 6 weeks old, shouldn't just stop working like this.

Complete the RMA and allow EVGA to Review the Card to see what may have happened.

Associate Code: 9E88QK5L7811G3H

Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30978
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: 1080 FTW Dead after standby 2016/08/29 11:08:31 (permalink)
    bcavnaugh

Phrak

Complete the RMA and allow EVGA to Review the Card to see what may have happened.

+1

Bummer

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile