1070 FTW just arrived, a couple of questions

Author
Asgar_55
  • Total Posts : 30
  • Reward points : 0
  • Ribbons : 0
2016/07/27 03:20:31 (permalink)
Good morning all!

just yesterday I received my first EVGA card, a 1070 FTW, so I'm new here. I take this opportunity to introduce myself.

I am very happy with my purchase, with performance jump and the quality of finishes and materials of this monster, but I have some doubts, and I think this is the best place to resolve them. Two questions, sure this is easy, but I'm not an expert...

First, at game, the core clock reaches up to 2000 MHz, the boost clock of this card is not 1797?
Second, the workload sixteen LEDs over the two 6+2 PCI-E connectors always remain off, why?

Thanks for the help, and sorry if I make a mistake, or posting in wrong place

5 Replies Related Threads

z999z3mystorys
    CLASSIFIED Member
    • Total Posts : 4480
    • Ribbons : 23
    Re: 1070 FTW just arrived, a couple of questions 2016/07/27 03:32:28 (permalink)
    Hey, and welcome to the forums, as for the clock speeds, that's normal, there's some unknown to me "real" max boost clock, and then there's the advertised boost clock. from my experiences with other cards and my GTX 1080 FTW DT, it seems that it'll slowly scale back over time from the max boost clock, down as far as the advertised boost clock, even without "real" throttling. if real throttling kicks in it'll drop lower ( IE gets too hot, or draws to much power, or simply doesn't need to run at a high speed)

As for the LEDs, I don't think the 16 points above the power connectors are LED, but soldering points for part of the power connectors on the card, if you're referring to what I think you are.
    Asgar_55
    Re: 1070 FTW just arrived, a couple of questions 2016/07/27 05:30:59 (permalink)
    Thanks for the welcome and the help
    About clock speeds, doubt resolved. Respect to the leds obviously you're right (facepalm), are soldering points. In a review said they were LEDs that indicate the workload, and really sem, but I opened the case and looking closely it is clear that they are not LEDs.

Thank you very much again, and regards
    JosephL
    EVGA Alumni
    • Total Posts : 662
    • Ribbons : 2
    Re: 1070 FTW just arrived, a couple of questions 2016/07/27 07:05:31 (permalink)
    Hello Asgar_55 and welcome to the Forums!

The reason for the max frequency reaching beyond the advertised boost clock is because of something called GPU Boost 3.0. This will automatically offset the clock speed based on how much headroom is left, taking into account TDP, temps and voltage.

They do not yet have an official page I can find on 3.0 but here is a page from Nvidia explaining GPU Boost 2.0 which is similar but does not take into account voltages like 3.0 does.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/gpu-boost-2/technology

If you have a moment, please rate my service. We appreciate the feedback!
    Cool GTX
    EVGA Forum Moderator
    • Total Posts : 30975
    • Ribbons : 122
    Re: 1070 FTW just arrived, a couple of questions 2016/07/27 07:15:55 (permalink)
    Welcome to the Forums Asgar_55

There is a large friendly forum membership here on the EVGA site.  So, buckle in, read up and expand your knowledge and don't be a stranger.

Learn your way around the EVGA Forums, Rules & limits on new accounts Ultimate Self-Starter Thread For New Members

I am a Volunteer Moderator - not an EVGA employee

https://foldingathome.org -->become a citizen scientist and contribute your compute power to help fight global health threats

RTX Project EVGA X99 FTWK Nibbler EVGA X99 Classified EVGA 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra

Asgar_55
    Re: 1070 FTW just arrived, a couple of questions 2016/07/27 07:36:06 (permalink)
    Thanks again guys, is a pleasure this reception.

JosephL, great info, now also know that is normal, I understand the reason

abusing, another question arises me now. there any way to change the brightness and rhythm of the lights? with the Precision X I can only change the color and the Nvidia Experience LED visualizer not work
    Jump to:
  • Back to Mobile